I think I'm getting laid off

Other Talk "Otterville"

I think I'm getting laid off

Old 07-09-14, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 332 Likes on 234 Posts
Re: I think I'm getting laid off

Originally Posted by Canis Firebrand View Post
That was my thought in reading this as well.. If they suspected some illegal activity with the computer, they'd have asked for an immediate meeting so that he didn't have time to delete anything.. Granted, there are forensic tools to combat that, but not giving the person a chance to delete anything or even destroy the equipment is the best route. Additionally, as you said, if they were going to let him go they'd likely want to do it quickly so as to not give a chance to have anything happen to servers, etc. Though I guess that depends on his role and level of access. From things I've seen in the IT world, since IT support usually has a great deal of access, when they are letting someone go, it happens as you said.. They call you into HR and while you are in the meeting, your account is disabled/deleted so that you can't access it any more to cause any sabotage, etc.
Well at the companies I worked at, it didn't matter who the employee was... all employees have some type of access on fileservers - which means they can copy confidential information for their personal use/sale, or delete/alter it, or e-mail them externally. Plus they could write nasty e-mails to people in the firm. They always have enough access to do some sort of damage.

But yea, this is a weird approach they're taking in this case. It's almost like cops arresting someone and telling them to bring in the evidence they'll need to convict him.
Old 07-09-14, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 612 Likes on 443 Posts

I will thrown in a vote for them offering another position and, if declined, you will be laid off.
Old 07-10-14, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

For what it's worth, when I was laid off, they let me keep working there for two months after they told me (which I agreed to because I needed the money, both from those two months and the severance afterwards). I didn't do any funny business, mostly because my reputation is a far more valuable asset than anything I could have done during that time.
Old 07-10-14, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 579 Likes on 409 Posts

Originally Posted by Coral View Post
Telling you to meet in the HR office and to bring your notebook gives you enough suspicion and more than enough chance to do some nasty shit on the servers and through e-mail. From everything I've seen, companies usually call you into an office and while you're there your network accounts are locked and your computer may even be taken away - so there's no chance of you doing any funny business.
I'm with Coral ...if a company is canning an employee for cause, there typically is no head's up. Hell, I've seen companies let people go immediately after the person gave proper notice of resignation simply because the company was untrusting/paranoid.

I've been on both sides of this line: it is kind of crappy for your boss to drop this meeting on you in such a cryptic manner, however his/her hands may be tied by HR.

My best advice, don't stress over it. Whatever it is, it is already done. While there is never a good time for a potential job loss, it sounds as if you are in a very manageable position financially and have prepared yourself a bit.

Would the new position (either the step back or the one you are interviewing for) require the return of your laptop?

Do you have counterparts you can talk to and ask if they have had similar meetings/requests?
Old 07-10-14, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well just got back. It was what I suspected, my position was eliminated due to some of the organizational changes. I continue to be an active employee for 60 days and then I get plus a decent severance after that runs out.

I'm still in the running for that other job and my department was hoping I would know by know so that it would just be a matter of me transferring and then them not filling the vacant position but no such luck. Hopefully that job will work out and they also gave me a heads up on another opening in another area that could work and gave me the hiring manager's contact info(it's an area that I worked in for 2 years back when I started).

So not a great thing but certainly I know many people have had worse. On the plus side it's a beautiful day so maybe a long bike ride to take my mind of it is in store for the afternoon.
Old 07-10-14, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 675 Likes on 484 Posts

well good news is, if you don't get the job, sounds like you have plenty of time to figure something out. sucks that you are in this position, but you have to be thankful you got plenty of notice about it.
Old 07-10-14, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 471 Likes on 391 Posts

Yeah, sorry to hear that, but at least the other openings and the 60 days + severance leave you in a better position than it could have been.

I guess you had to bring the laptop in case you flipped out and quit on the spot.

Good idea to take your mind off things for a while.
Old 07-10-14, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 649 Likes on 505 Posts

Originally Posted by Cardiff Giant11 View Post
Well just got back. It was what I suspected, my position was eliminated due to some of the organizational changes. I continue to be an active employee for 60 days and then I get plus a decent severance after that runs out.

I'm still in the running for that other job and my department was hoping I would know by know so that it would just be a matter of me transferring and then them not filling the vacant position but no such luck. Hopefully that job will work out and they also gave me a heads up on another opening in another area that could work and gave me the hiring manager's contact info(it's an area that I worked in for 2 years back when I started).

So not a great thing but certainly I know many people have had worse. On the plus side it's a beautiful day so maybe a long bike ride to take my mind of it is in store for the afternoon.

Sorry to hear about that. I agree, if you can, segue into that lower position, so you can keep your current salary while you look for a better job. That's what I initially implied when I asked why didn't you just say yes to the lower position if they were going to pay you the same as your current spot.
Old 07-10-14, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 612 Likes on 443 Posts

So, why did you have to bring the laptop?
Old 07-10-14, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 254 Likes on 142 Posts

Very sorry to hear that. I have been through it myself and know what it is like but it could turn out that a better opportunity awaits you. For me, it was a sideways move...3 months after being laid off another job opened up in the same company and I got it. I wish you all the best.

FYI: Too bad the subject header you wrote couldn't have ended after 5 words
Old 07-10-14, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

My best wishes for your job search. You sound like a good guy and I know things will work out great for you.
Old 07-10-14, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by TomOpus View Post
So, why did you have to bring the laptop?
Because while I'm still an active employee for 60 days, they do it as a precaution to ensure that I'm not doing anything malicious (even though this was a lay off not a firing) and because it's company property that I could conceivably destroy, etc. I also had to turn in my ID and corporate credit card.

Oddly enough I asked about the 19" monitor and a few other items and if they needed that back and they were like "nope we don't need that" so maybe I'll be rocking dual monitors on my iMac ha.
Old 07-10-14, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 422 Likes on 212 Posts

So did they take the laptop? And if so, how are you supposed to do your job for the next 60 days? Or is it like you're and "Active Employee" in name only, and they just pay you your regular pay to do nothing?
Old 07-10-14, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni View Post
So did they take the laptop? And if so, how are you supposed to do your job for the next 60 days? Or is it like you're and "Active Employee" in name only, and they just pay you your regular pay to do nothing?
Active employee, in respect to pay and benefits only. He won't be working for those 60 days.
Old 07-10-14, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 471 Likes on 391 Posts

Oh, I didn't realize the elimination was immediate and that he wouldn't actually be working.
Old 07-10-14, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On the bright side, I look forward to the "I think I'm getting laid" thread.
Old 07-10-14, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow, I have laid off a bunch of employees in the last 2 years, and for ones that are not hostile or deemed 'at risk' we let them use their computer, blackberry, phone, etc until the final termination is up (usually that is after a period of paid time, a period of unpaid time where benefits are active, and then they get a severance check)

Final term is at the end of the unpaid time (so that ends up being anywhere from 2-4 months depending on the person). We let employees use the company equipment in hopes it helps them to find another job. There is also a free (paid by the company) placement service available to them for 6 months.

I have also seen it where someone has been with a company for 20 years and they are tossed out on the street with nothing one day, so it all varies (and in some cases is negotiable depending on circumstance).

Sounds like you ended up with a decent package, don't let it get you down or let you have an attitude when you start interviewing. Maybe best to just take a little time and unwind before looking.
Old 07-10-14, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 579 Likes on 409 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
Oh, I didn't realize the elimination was immediate and that he wouldn't actually be working.
I misunderstood that too ... I was trying to figure out how he was supposed to work for the next 60 days.

Cardiff, you have a wonderful outlook on this! I am kind of surprised they didn't work more closely with the other department to help you out or at least try to get a definitive answer sooner. Or is this other job with another company within the parent company?
Old 07-10-14, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm kind of surprised when they offered you the lesser position earlier on that they weren't more upfront about the future of your current position. I've been in your shoes and sincerely wish you the best.
Old 07-10-14, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

That sucks, but it seems like you have some good opportunities and at least you get 2 months to look around and relax a bit. A company I was at shut down completely 3 months ago and I didn't get jack. Safe to say that was probably far more stressful.
Old 07-10-14, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
That sucks, but it seems like you have some good opportunities and at least you get 2 months to look around and relax a bit. A company I was at shut down completely 3 months ago and I didn't get jack. Safe to say that was probably far more stressful.
I wouldn't "relax" too much.

As bad as this job market is, it's a lot easier to get a job if you already have a job. Having a resume that lists the dates of most recent employment as (20XX-PRESENT) is a big plus. Take advantage of that while you can.
Old 07-10-14, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Cardiff Giant11 View Post

Sorry to hear about your loss. I've been there, got the t-shirt. A lay-off can definitely lead to lots of anxiety and depression if you don't find a new job after a few months.

My advice would be to take at least one week to just relax, enjoy the free time ,and don't stress over the future for that week. You have 4 months of wiggle room with steady income which is great. I would sit down and trim all the fat out of your budget. Time to start saving now, and build up an emergency fund of at least 1K.

The job market is very tough right now, lots of ppl competiting for the same jobs so it's best to plan for the long term now.
Old 07-10-14, 12:57 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 454 Likes on 404 Posts

sorry man, most of us have been there and still here to say we wore the shirt...
Old 07-10-14, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by RoyalTea View Post
I wouldn't "relax" too much.

As bad as this job market is, it's a lot easier to get a job if you already have a job. Having a resume that lists the dates of most recent employment as (20XX-PRESENT) is a big plus. Take advantage of that while you can.
Oh definitely, I didn't mean to insinuate taking an entire month off or anything but more like a week or so and maybe casually updating the resume before the hardcore job hunt and resume submissions begin.
Old 07-10-14, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks everyone, yes even though my wife is working and I have the severance, I'm going to start doing some trimming of the monthly expenses to save up.

The other job I've had the interviews for is within the company but it's a whole other area of our main branches so totally different people, etc. The HR woman from my old department said that area "moves a little slow" which is the truth considering I first applied for the position at the end of April. Having said that the last (4th) phone interview (all with different people) I had was with the hiring manager's boss and I think they've all gone positive. My now former boss chatted with him a while back and had great things to say about me and provided copies of my performance reviews which were all very good too. So keeping my fingers crossed on that.

The other position I got the lead on today could be a good opportunity again, another department but closer in relation to the area I was in and I have some experience in that area being one of the front line employees that that position would sort of support. So that could be good as well.

Ended up going for a long bike ride earlier in the town I grew up in but haven't lived in for about 10 years. Definitely took me off edge a bit and I'm ready to get back in the swing job hunting next week.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.