Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

How many people haven't upgraded to a smartphone?

Other Talk "Otterville"
View Poll Results: Do you have a smartphone?
Yes
65.00%
No
35.00%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-08-14, 04:52 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't use a smartphone, and I never plan to upgrade to one unless my current phone breaks and smartphones are the only phones still being made. I just have zero use for a smartphone. I don't care about mobile web surfing or anything like that. My phone can still send texts, and that's all I need.
Old 06-08-14, 05:08 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
Re: How many people haven't upgraded to a smartphone?

But they are shiny, and you can use them to ... do stuff that you can do in other ways ... and ...
Old 06-08-14, 06:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I had an iPhone. When it stopped working, I bought an iPad for internet and instant messaging stuff, and for phone service and texting I went back to using my old non-smart (dumb?) phone. It's been working out fine.
Old 06-08-14, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I still have an old non-smart phones. That's because we have 3 phones on our plan and I don't want to pay the extra money for data plans.
Old 06-08-14, 07:39 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by taffer View Post
I don't use a smartphone, and I never plan to upgrade to one unless my current phone breaks and smartphones are the only phones still being made. I just have zero use for a smartphone. I don't care about mobile web surfing or anything like that. My phone can still send texts, and that's all I need.
To a large degree, that was me. Until like 2010 or 2011. My Nokia phone went dead. The upgrade or whatever plan to get a new phone was like a dollar for a blackberry phone. So I did that. I don't get charged for internet cuz I was grandfathered into the account. I only pay for minutes. So yay me.

Saying all that... I don't have a computer anymore. My old one just died and I'm too lazy to buy one. I'll get a MacBook this year... Maybe.

So it's a nice way to pass the time with you shit heads. That's about as exciting as it gets for me. YouTube too. Love Maximillian dood.

Also Spotify is cool to use when I'm working out or on a jog or a long trip.

I guess I just use it more cuz I pay so little too. Some things have apps so I can bills too.

Convenience for little bullshit things pretty much. That's what a smartphone is too me.
Old 06-08-14, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

My latest phone isn't quite as dumb as my last phone was. It isn't a full-on smartphone, but I can check my e-mail and Facebook with it. Good enough for me.
Old 06-08-14, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

My smartphone has made me a much more patient person...
Old 06-08-14, 09:29 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

Still have a plain old Nokia cell phone, we can make and receive calls and my wife can text with her sister in TX but since the buttons are kind of hard to push, she doesn't do that very often. Just waiting for this phone to die before we exercise other options.
Old 06-08-14, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

I have a smartphone. I f'in HATED the first one I had. It had accuracy problems and would freeze up sometimes. After freezing up and incorrectly "catching up" and calling a client I didn't mean to call, I blacked out with rage and threw it across the room and it shattered.

I went another year with a non-smart phone, and then took another shot. This new one is more accurate and doesn't freeze up like the other one.
Old 06-08-14, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I go out by myself walking all the time. I used to always take my ipod with me, and then I wouldn't bother to bring my old dumb phone because I didn't like carrying extra stuff around. Eventually I realized that it was kind of dumb to be off by myself all the time without my phone so I finally got an iphone to replace my ipod and to force myself to actually have my phone with me most of the time. It worked.
Old 06-08-14, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts

I can't imagine personally not having a smartphone anymore; I get so many quality of life improvements out of having one, like Maps/GPS when i'm in new areas or tracking distance when running or walking, things like Yelp to look for places to eat, apps to look up things like reviews on items when i'm in store or give you coupons, and games to kill time. Plus all the basic phone/text/chat functions.
Old 06-08-14, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 464 Likes on 345 Posts

Samsung Galaxy S4 here. I enjoy it, but damn it's a freaking expensive ass phone. I have T-Mobile and since they don't have contracts and I have to completely pay the phone on my own. $600+ I'm paying it in installments. Have roughly $200 left to pay.
Old 06-08-14, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I still have a flip phone as it limits how the government can monitor you in comparison to a "smart" phone.
Old 06-08-14, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have one but I rarely use the "smart" features, so it's pretty much a waste of money for me. I don't get people that are consumed with them all the time.
Old 06-08-14, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 142 Likes on 105 Posts

Don't have a smartphone. Waiting until the Note IV comes out, and probably won't get it until a few months after. Verizon made it more difficult for me to check email on my phone (they removed an app--probably forcing more smarphone purchases), but I'm living with having to press a few buttons to get to my email as I don't want a smartphone just yet. Besides, they are way too large, and I also like carrying it on my hip versus in a bag or walking around with it, looking like a retard.
Old 06-08-14, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 54 Posts

I never even owned a cellphone ever until this past November... at which time I went all out and bought a smartphone (Nexus 5). My company paid for it and I expense my monthly plan - they've offered that for years, but I only took advantage of it recently.

Everyone told me that it was going to "change my life" and that I'll be on it all the time.
So far... meh. At the end of every day I rarely have less than 80% battery life - I'm just not on it all that much.

I wouldn't have one if my company didn't pay for it. If I lost my phone today, it really wouldn't make much of a difference to me.

Last edited by Coral; 06-09-14 at 03:18 PM.
Old 06-08-14, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I don't own a smartphone for the social component. I hate texting.

But it is absolutely invaluable for looking up things, especially when travelling or shopping. Plus it has made bringing a magazine to the shitter obsolete.
Old 06-08-14, 02:01 PM

I was working the door at the concert venue where Black Stone Cherry were playing, and while the band is playing he comes up to me and shows me a Nokia E1120, he says it's worth 1120 euro's and asked if he could go inside in trade for the phone. I declined.

So yes, there are people without smart phones.
Old 06-08-14, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by dan30oly View Post
I still have a flip phone as it limits how the government can monitor you in comparison to a "smart" phone.
That's why I refuse to get dental fillings.
Old 06-08-14, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

The phone I have might BARELY be considered a smartphone. It's really a POS, looks like a blackberry knockoff, but it has email and internet features on it. The only thing is that it's a work phone, and work doesn't pay for a data plan. So I get phone and texting and that's it. If anyone sends me a text with a picture attachment, I get a download link that doesn't work and I can't even read the text, so that's always useful. It doesn't even have WiFi. So it's a POS, but I've never paid for a cell phone (had a work phone since 1999) and I refuse to as long as I have a free one.
Old 06-08-14, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

You're not alone, taffer. I work with an MVNO that still largely caters to people who just want a "feature" phone. A good chunk of their customers don't even spring for messaging plans. I have seen a few analyses that predict the major carriers won't even offer feature phones in a few years. "Voice is still the killer app," and there is clearly still a market for them, but it's quickly shrinking and quickly becoming a market the major carriers just can't be bothered with.

Personally, I've had a smartphone since Windows Mobile 6 (if that counts ) and can't imagine being without one. I just have too many work-related tasks that need to be monitored remotely.
Old 06-08-14, 04:32 PM
Banned

I'm surprised that about a third of the poll respondents here say they don't have a smartphone. I just graduated from college, and whenever there was group work/projects and we would exchange numbers, I would almost always be the only person with a "dumb" phone. That's what led me to ask the question here. I skew older than the traditional college student since I am 35, but it seems like practically every young person has a smartphone. It makes me feel old.
Old 06-08-14, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 128 Likes on 94 Posts

Hey, don't feel old, feel *smart*. You've successfully lived, and can continue living your life, without being connected 24/7. It is a liberating feeling. What would all those kids do if they didn't have their smartphones? Probably shrivel up and die an agonizing, tortureous death.
Old 06-08-14, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

I have a smartphone, but I haven't upgraded in years - since Verizon announced that they no longer offer an 'unlimited data' plan and once you upgrade, you lose your current plan. So I'm running my Droid X into the ground before I update, as I'm constantly streaming podcasts on my cell phone and use a lot of GB per month. I've had my current model since 2010.
Old 06-08-14, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I have an iPod Touch. But I use it as my phone. So I guess that makes it a smart phone, though only when I have Wifi access. Which is most of the time.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.