DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 06-06-14, 10:36 PM   #1
DVD Talk Godfather

The Fast Food Junkie Thread

I know there's a couple threads out there discussing things like the Double Down or Doritos tacos at Taco Bell, but I didn't want to start a new thread for every new concoction and as someone that likes to try a lot of new items at fast food restaurants, figured I'd make a catch all thread. That and hopefully weed out the people that always chime in about how whichever place sucks or that the food gives them the shits

So... here's a place to discuss whatever new foods show up at McDonalds, Taco Bell, Burger King, Jack in the Box, or whatever.

To kick it off, Taco Bell is introducing a Quesarito starting Monday. Doesn't look like much in that burrito, but i'm curious.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...rito/10061879/

I've heard of the Chipotle one for a year now but never did go and have them make one for me.

And of course you can GFY. -chess
Old 06-06-14, 10:39 PM   #2
DVD Talk Reviewer

re: The Fast Food Junkie Thread

My second job was at Taco Bell, back in the heady days of the Enchirito. I miss it. I am in full support of the Quesarito.

Research now tells me it came back in 1999, with significant changes, and was discontinued again in 2013, but can possibly be ordered off the 'secret menu'.

My Countdown Counting down to: someone reading my countdown.
1125 days 12 hours 53 minutes
Old 06-06-14, 10:41 PM   #3
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Probably not something new, but I recently saw an ad for the Taco Bell Waffle Taco.

I might have to get one before I leave DFW...
Old 06-06-14, 11:42 PM   #4

What is this "secret menu" you speak of?
Old 06-07-14, 12:07 AM   #5
DVD Talk Reviewer

I think you just have to ask, even though it's not on the regular menu ...

Old 06-07-14, 12:20 AM   #6
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomgirl View Post
What is this "secret menu" you speak of?
http://hackthemenu.com/

I think Sacramento is a test market for Taco Bell products. We got the Doritos Locos Tacos, Beefy Crunch Burrito, TB Breakfast Menu, and the Loaded Grillers probably 6 month or more before I started seeing commercials for them (we've had the Taco Bell breakfast menu for over a year now even though they just rolled out it out nationwide).

With that said, the Enchirito is still on the menu here. I saw it the other day. They really need to bring back the Bell Beefer, though.

Has anyone tried the Big Chicken Fillet at Carl's Jr.? It looks like a big Chick-Fil-A sandwich with some added ingredients.
Old 06-07-14, 12:50 AM   #7
DVD Talk Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Other Self View Post
http://hackthemenu.com/

I think Sacramento is a test market for Taco Bell products. We got the Doritos Locos Tacos, Beefy Crunch Burrito, TB Breakfast Menu, and the Loaded Grillers probably 6 month or more before I started seeing commercials for them (we've had the Taco Bell breakfast menu for over a year now even though they just rolled out it out nationwide).

With that said, the Enchirito is still on the menu here. I saw it the other day. They really need to bring back the Bell Beefer, though.

Has anyone tried the Big Chicken Fillet at Carl's Jr.? It looks like a big Chick-Fil-A sandwich with some added ingredients.
The Bell Beefer has probably the worst name in fast food history.

My wikipedia excursion tells me the enchirito is no longer made with a corn tortilla, nor black olives.

Old 06-07-14, 01:19 AM   #8

Thanks for the info! I can imagine asking here (in NY) and having gaunt eyed teenagers stare at me…
May give it a whirl anyway!
Old 06-07-14, 09:28 AM   #9
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Subscribe.
Old 06-07-14, 11:26 AM   #10
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The quesarito looks awesomly bad for me! Want!
Old 06-07-14, 11:48 AM   #11
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:

I saw a commercial for it; hopefully i'll give it a try in the next week.

Old 06-07-14, 04:25 PM   #12
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
I looked at Hardee's website and there's a $1 off coupon if you get the meal. I might have to try it now.

My So-Called DVD Life (Profiler),A Fistful of Discs (DVDAf)
Old 06-07-14, 08:09 PM   #13

If it's like everything else at Taco Bell it will be more tortilla than filling.

I often refer to Chipotle burritos as meat flavored rice for reference.
Old 06-07-14, 08:49 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeFan View Post
If it's like everything else at Taco Bell it will be more tortilla than filling.

I often refer to Chipotle burritos as meat flavored rice for reference.
Fwiw, I've eaten at Taco Bell at least five thousand times and don't think it's too much tortilla on anything there.

And that's why I never get rice or beans at Chipotle. Without those, they tend to give me a lot of meat, cheese, and veggies.

Last edited by Trevor; 06-08-14 at 07:29 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 06-07-14, 10:47 PM   #15
DVD Talk Hero

There's only two fast food places I still eat at; Del Taco & In N Out

They're primarily limited chains that because they haven't expanded as much as the bigger chains, have been able to keep their quality up. They don't have to dumb down the food so it tastes the same across the country. They're supply chain is much smaller, local and therefore more fresh. Generally, the less # of restaurants a chain has, the better the quality of the food.
Old 06-07-14, 11:01 PM   #16
DVD Talk Legend

Whats good at Del Taco.
We have that here in central Fla but so far all I've had are tacos
Old 06-08-14, 12:04 AM   #17
DVD Talk Hero

Del doesn't have any single stand out item, they just have a solid lineup of stuff. For the price, you can't beat their half-pound bean&cheese burrito. Their regular burrito with green chile sauce is good too. Once in a while, they'll have carnitas and those are great. Again, nothing spectacular, but it's all relatively fresh stuff that doesn't make you feel like crap, especially for fast food - though I'm not sure if it's different in central Florida - didn't know they had spread that far, and that is definitely outside of their original supply zone.
Old 06-08-14, 12:07 AM   #18
DVD Talk Legend

I love Del Taco but I wouldn't call it limited more than regional. They're located primarily out west, but they have locations in Florida, Michigan and I think Ohio. Their ingredients don't taste any fresher than other Mexican chains to me, but they are good.

As for what to get there, I enjoy their Flat Bread Tacos (used to be called Big Fat Tacos). Their fish tacos are also very good (the shrimp ones not so much), and their macho burritos are worth the $4 - they really load them up. Their staple to me are their chicken soft tacos. Whatever sauce they put on there makes them.

I don't think there's anything on the menu that isn't good. I like their fries, too.

Last edited by My Other Self; 06-08-14 at 12:37 AM.
Old 06-08-14, 12:14 AM   #19
DVD Talk Godfather

I like Del Taco's Deluxe Chili Cheese Fries and their Spicy Jack Quesadillas. Chicken soft tacos are nice too. They're good, but honestly I don't find any of their stuff significantly better then Taco Bell. For me it just depends on whatever i'm feeling like.

Old 06-08-14, 12:15 AM   #20
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
Fwiw, I've eaten at Taco Bell at least five thousand times and do t think it's too much tortilla on anything there.
Challenges: Action 2017 | Academy Award 2017 | TV on DVD* 2017 | Holiday 2016 | Comedy 2016 | Horror 2016 | Criterion 2016 | Animation 2016 | Sci-Fi 2016 | Historical 2016 | Make-Your-Own 2016 | Drive-In 2016 | Leap Day 2016
Old 06-08-14, 03:48 AM   #21
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ah, Del Taco. My very first job way back then. They made their refried beans fresh each and every day, multiple times per day actually. Taco meat was made from scratch daily. Cheese and lettuce were grated fresh every day. I bet they still do all of this today, because their food easily tastes fresher than Taco Hell et al. Macho Combo and those great crinkle fries = best lunch ever.

My second job, Naugles, was infinitely better for Mexican fast food but they are, sadly, long gone.
Old 06-08-14, 07:29 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
Doh! Autocorrect and inattentiveness on my part.

In semi-related news, I was all set to hit Taco Bell for breakfast this morning but a car wouldn't let me merge into the turn lane so I had to settle for a different exit and McDonalds.
Old 06-08-14, 11:52 AM   #23
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResIpsa View Post
Ah, Del Taco. My very first job way back then. They made their refried beans fresh each and every day, multiple times per day actually. Taco meat was made from scratch daily. Cheese and lettuce were grated fresh every day. I bet they still do all of this today, because their food easily tastes fresher than Taco Hell et al. Macho Combo and those great crinkle fries = best lunch ever.
Yeah, they still do, which is why I think they're better than other fast food places that have overly processed food stuffs.

Quote:
My second job, Naugles, was infinitely better for Mexican fast food but they are, sadly, long gone.
Interesting fact; Naugles was started by one of the Del Taco co-founders and then it was bought by Del and they were turned into Del Tacos, which is fine, since they were pretty much the same thing anyways.
Old 06-08-14, 12:23 PM   #24
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResIpsa View Post

Taco Time in the Pacific Northwest is the same: much fresher than Taco Bell. And almost everything they give you is compostable other than soup spoons and a couple other items.

Note that if you get too far out of the Seattle-Portland area, there's a completely different Taco Time franchise that appears to have none of these benefits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
Doh! Autocorrect and inattentiveness on my part.
I wouldn't have questioned it except I really wasn't sure whether you meant "do" or "don't."
Challenges: Action 2017 | Academy Award 2017 | TV on DVD* 2017 | Holiday 2016 | Comedy 2016 | Horror 2016 | Criterion 2016 | Animation 2016 | Sci-Fi 2016 | Historical 2016 | Make-Your-Own 2016 | Drive-In 2016 | Leap Day 2016
Old 06-08-14, 02:17 PM   #25
DVD Talk Reviewer

Plus Taco Time has the Crisp Burritos, pretty much fast-food Mexican crack cocaine.