Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 06-14-14, 12:43 AM   #51
DVD Talk Legend

Re: The Fast Food Junkie Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
I have to say, I do like those new buns that Carls Jr has.
The regular buns taste awful in comparison. The fresh-baked buns are the only ones I get now.

If you ever get the breakfast burger, upgrade the bun (you can for 30 cents on any sandwich). Easily the best breakfast fast food item you can get out here.
Old 06-14-14, 01:13 AM   #52
DVD Talk Legend

This is not really related to fast food but I don't think anyone in this thread will mind.

Some genius at Nabisco has combined Oreo cookie filling with soft-baked Chips Ahoy cookies. They are available in some Walmarts and I assume other stores. Possibly the most unstoppable combination since Magic and Kareem.

Over 5000 Blu-rays ranked by pure video quality.
Old 06-14-14, 01:33 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by dom56 View Post
Anyone try the new extra long bbq cheeseburger at Burger King yet? 590 calories which is less than the Whooper 650 calories.

I had one. Just get two Rodeo Burgers and ask for cheese instead. You'll feel a lot less disappointed.
Old 06-14-14, 10:28 AM   #54
DVD Talk Godfather

Jack in the Box has a few new things, including two new Ultimate Cheeseburgers (Jalapeno Ranch and BBQ), a "Hella-Peno Burger" for their Munchie Meal (stuffed and sliced jalapenos and taco sauce), and a Breakfast Monster Taco (looks like just egg instead of lettuce).

And of course you can GFY. -chess
Old 06-14-14, 01:34 PM   #55
DVD Talk Reviewer

Quote:
Jack in the Box has a few new things, including two new Ultimate Cheeseburgers (Jalapeno Ranch and BBQ), a "Hella-Peno Burger" for their Munchie Meal (stuffed and sliced jalapenos and taco sauce), and a Breakfast Monster Taco (looks like just egg instead of lettuce).
Jack In The Box should also get points for its unashamed marketing toward stoners.

My Countdown Counting down to: someone reading my countdown.
1160 days 0 hours 4 minutes
Old 06-14-14, 03:08 PM   #56
DVD Talk Hero

Okay, I know it doesn't have a drive through, but how about CostCo's food court?

Where else can you get a huge and decent slice of pizza, a huge quarter-pound hot dog, with as many toppings as you can handle, and soda fountain, all for $3.50? You seriously can't beat that!
Old 06-14-14, 05:35 PM   #57
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
Okay, I know it doesn't have a drive through, but how about CostCo's food court?

Where else can you get a huge and decent slice of pizza, a huge quarter-pound hot dog, with as many toppings as you can handle, and soda fountain, all for $3.50? You seriously can't beat that!
You can beat it at Costco! The daily samples can easily be turned into more than a meal.
Old 06-14-14, 07:16 PM   #58
DVD Talk Godfather

Love the hot dog and pizza slices at Costco, and I also like their berry sundae and their gellato too. I tried their Turkey and Provolone sandwhich and didn't care for it though. I've been meaning to try their beef brisket.

Old 06-14-14, 07:29 PM   #59
DVD Talk Hero

Costco's pizza is good. I usually get the chicken bake and a fruit smoothie.
Challenges: Action 2017 | Academy Award 2017 | TV on DVD* 2017 | Holiday 2016 | Comedy 2016 | Horror 2016 | Criterion 2016 | Animation 2016 | Sci-Fi 2016 | Historical 2016 | Make-Your-Own 2016 | Drive-In 2016 | Leap Day 2016
Old 06-14-14, 07:37 PM   #60
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
You can beat it at Costco! The daily samples can easily be turned into more than a meal.
Free samples, yes, but what's funny is that if you get the things need to make the same pizza, dog & soda from CostCo, it would cost you more than buying it ready-made from their food stand.
Old 06-14-14, 07:39 PM   #61
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
I've been meaning to try their beef brisket.
It's awful, especially for the asking price. Stay away! (and I love brisket - which is maybe why I hated theirs)
Old 06-14-14, 10:14 PM   #62
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Chicken bake 4tw.
Old 06-15-14, 02:08 AM   #63
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
I just gave this a shot today; it kind of just tasted like a bigger version of their spicy chicken sandwich to me, minus the bit of spice. It wasn't bad as far as chicken sandwiches go I suppose.
I tried it earlier today since I got a coupon in the mail and thought it was okay, but nothing special. It reminded me of the Jack in the Box Spicy Chicken Sandwich (again without the spice).

Did anyone else's Costco have a carne asada bake last year? It was pretty good, but last time I was there it was no longer on the menu.

Quote:
I saw a big sign that said HELLA-PENO and immediately thought of how everybody in this town throws the word "hella" in front of everything. I'm not sure if that's what they're going for or hell/hot jalapeno thing.

Last edited by My Other Self; 06-15-14 at 02:18 AM.
Old 06-15-14, 10:21 AM   #64
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Other Self View Post
I saw a big sign that said HELLA-PENO and immediately thought of how everybody in this town throws the word "hella" in front of everything. I'm not sure if that's what they're going for or hell/hot jalapeno thing.
it has two meanings. That's what makes it so deep!

To stoners.
Old 06-15-14, 09:01 PM   #65
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
It's awful, especially for the asking price. Stay away! (and I love brisket - which is maybe why I hated theirs)
Yeah, i've heard only negative things I'm still so curious every time i'm there, but $5 versus being able to get a hot dog and drink for $1.50 wins every time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Other Self View Post
I tried it earlier today since I got a coupon in the mail and thought it was okay, but nothing special. It reminded me of the Jack in the Box Spicy Chicken Sandwich (again without the spice).
Yeah, that's a good comparison too.

Quote:
Having gone to college in Santa Cruz and being in Sacramento often as my finacee's family is from there, I got a chuckle out of the hella stuff too.

Old 06-16-14, 02:01 PM   #66
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

got the original italian from jersey mike's today. nom
Old 06-16-14, 02:19 PM   #67
DVD Talk Legend

I like Jersey Mike's too.

I did ask the Kids working in one why a sandwich place from Jersey calls it a sub and not a hoagie.

Is the place based on north Jersey?
Old 06-17-14, 02:24 AM   #68
DVD Talk Hero

Jersey Mike's is good, I just ate there for the first time the other day.
Old 06-17-14, 08:40 AM   #69
DVD Talk Legend

I haven't gone to Jersey Mike's yet, but from what I hear they're good but a tad pricey.
Quote:
Originally Posted by whotony View Post
I did ask the Kids working in one why a sandwich place from Jersey calls it a sub and not a hoagie.
And I'm sure the minimum wage 17 year-olds had no idea what you were talking about.

They recently opened up Firehouse Subs out here. It's an East Coast based sandwich chain. When I lived in Florida I knew someone that managed one but I haven't been there in nearly 9 years. It looks like they've expanded nationwide.

Last edited by My Other Self; 06-17-14 at 08:46 AM.
Old 06-17-14, 08:56 AM   #70
DVD Talk Hero

Jersey Mike's is decent but the kids that work at our local ones are incompetent fucks.

And while not really fast food (more local fast casual), I had this masterpiece earlier:

Spoiler:

And my heart is about to explode. delicious though. Because nothing is better than fried chicken on a biscuit with bacon. topped with cheese and a fried egg. covered in sausage gravy.

Last edited by RichC2; 06-17-14 at 09:02 AM.
Old 06-17-14, 12:24 PM   #71
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I was tricked into stopping at hardee's during my drive through PA by the damn smiling star logo. I thought they had the exact same menu as Carl's Jr but sadly i was mistaken. Damn you hardee's and your damn smiling star! Also their mushroom swiss thickburger sucks. The one MCD used to have was much better. The hardee's version is too salty and didn't have many mushrooms.

I have never heard of Jersey Mike's but Penn station isn't bad. It's a bit expensive though. Jimmy John's isn't bad either for cold subs. The gargantuan with guac is the only thing I get there.
Old 06-17-14, 02:33 PM   #72
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krayzie View Post
I was tricked into stopping at hardee's during my drive through PA by the damn smiling star logo. I thought they had the exact same menu as Carl's Jr but sadly i was mistaken.
What's the difference? (I'm familiar with Carl's but not Hardee's)
Old 06-17-14, 02:44 PM   #73
DVD Talk Hero

Not much of a difference between the two but Carl's Jr has a more extensive menu for lunch/dinner. The Mushroom Swiss Thickburger is actually pretty good, sounds like Krayzie got a shitty cook which does happen, Hardees isn't a hugely popular chain and tend to hire low end help at a lot of locations.

Hardees is still better at breakfast than Carls, but Carls is better for everything else. Breakfast is actually the only time of day I ever see Hardees packed.

Still never tried Red Burrito (Hardees) or Green Burrito (Carls)
Old 06-17-14, 05:06 PM   #74
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by whotony View Post
I like Jersey Mike's too.

Is the place based on north Jersey?
The original location was Point Pleasant, NJ. That is the Shore, but I wouldn't call it South Jersey. Hoagie sounds like Philly to me, so if anywhere in Jersey calls a sub a hoagie, it would have to be in the Wildwood area. Point Pleasant is probably an hour and half or so north of that. Yes, it does make a difference.
Old 06-17-14, 05:34 PM   #75
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
What's the difference? (I'm familiar with Carl's but not Hardee's)
The meat and chicken sandwiches are the same. Occasionally they'll have promotions running at both chains but most of the time they'll have separate featured sanwiches. Hardee's used to have a more extensive menu with fried chicken, roast beef and tons of other stuff but when CKE bought them in the late 90s they revamped their menu to mostly match Carl's.

Hardee's breakfast has always been their staple. When CKE bought them they had phased out a lot of items on the menu but eventually returned most of it since they were alienating a majority of their customers (especially in the Southeast).

For reference, the fresh baked biscuits and breakfast sandwiches that Carl's serves that has the Hardee's name on them don't taste anything like that. The Hardee's ones (unless the quality has diminished) are better.

From what I've seen Carl's Jr. had a much more expansive breakfast menu in the 80s but they obviously phased most of it out for their more limited menu that they currently offer.