Other Talk "Otterville"

The Fast Food Junkie Thread

Old 01-13-22, 03:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,228 Likes on 879 Posts
Re: The Fast Food Junkie Thread

Originally Posted by will travel View Post
Any one tired SLIM CHICKENS?
They will be opening a dozen restaurants in Iowa later this year.
Between Slim Chickens and Chicken Salad Chick Iowa is getting alot of poultry in 2022.

I've been there a few times.

Their wings and strips are pretty average. I like their fried mushrooms with some cayenne ranch on the side for dipping. I think I got the Cayenne Ranch Chicken sandwich once, but don't remember much about it, so I assume it was good.
Old 01-13-22, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by will travel View Post
Any one tired SLIM CHICKENS?
They will be opening a dozen restaurants in Iowa later this year.
Between Slim Chickens and Chicken Salad Chick Iowa is getting alot of poultry in 2022.
My daughter really liked them, especially the chicken and waffles, so we went there quite of bit since they were close to the house. I found them to be pretty average but better then some place like Raising Canes. They didn't last long though, opened in a brand new building and closed within a year. So that was the end of that. Opening across the street from Chic Fil A probably didn't help.
Old 01-13-22, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 187 Likes on 143 Posts

Just had the Arby's Diablo Brisket, was reasonably spicy, not outrageous but a bit uncomfortable. Not much actual flavor to it, would not have it again. You do need a milkshake with it. I tried to just upgrade the free one to a regular size chocolate but they wouldn't let me so I got stuck with both.
Old 01-13-22, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 579 Likes on 409 Posts

Originally Posted by Barth View Post
My daughter really liked them, especially the chicken and waffles, so we went there quite of bit since they were close to the house. I found them to be pretty average but better then some place like Raising Canes. They didn't last long though, opened in a brand new building and closed within a year. So that was the end of that. Opening across the street from Chic Fil A probably didn't help.
The only one I was familiar with did the same thing ... opened and closed within a year. They weren't near a CFA though.
I remember it being something different and it had decent food. I think they kept weird hours though.
Old 01-13-22, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 467 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff View Post
What the hell is up with non-melting cheese?
Fake, fake, fake. It's "processed cheese product". Which is mostly just a sorry mishmash of soybean oil and whey.
Old 01-13-22, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 241 Likes on 188 Posts

I've had Slim Chicken's. They're a Zaxby's clone, but not nearly as good as Zaxby's.
Old 01-14-22, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Whataburger brought back their Buffalo Ranch Chicken Sandwich! My favorite thing on the menu. To be fair, their burgers have always been overhyped to me anyway.
Old 01-17-22, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 241 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by tommyp007 View Post
Had one yesterday. Some spice, but overall wimpy. I do eat a ton of hot foods, so I'm spoiled on serious heat. Nonetheless, it was tasty.
This was my impression. I got the combo, so I had an iced tea, the milkshake, and I had a La Croix in my car. I had like two sips of the tea while eating.

And I’m not someone who seeks out super hot foods. I enjoy some heat, but not something that makes me suffer while eating, then again a few hours later. But this was disappointing.

I did get it without the jalapeños, though. But I doubt that would have made much of a difference.
Old 01-17-22, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 603 Likes on 425 Posts

^ depends on if they're pickled or fresh jalapenos. Regardless, disappointing to hear about the sandwich.

How does it rate next to the buffalo chicken?
Old 01-17-22, 06:16 PM
Administrator

Received 474 Likes on 302 Posts

Not quite traditional fast food, but anyone watch SteveMREinfo1989? Super soothing MRE reviews and I always find that stuff interesting, especially after learning that many food technologies developed for the military trickle into the civilian market later on.
The following users liked this post:
AGuyNamedMike (01-25-22)
Old 01-17-22, 06:49 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 353 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by Rodney2187 View Post
I made my own Big Macs.
Zyzzle, please contact 1/5 of the mods about having multiple Macs.
The following 4 users liked this post by Trevor:
cultshock (01-20-22), Deadman31 (01-17-22), story (01-18-22), zyzzle (01-17-22)
Old 01-20-22, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Vibiana View Post
I do remember McDonald’s when they used beef tallow in their fries, but even without the beef tallow, their fries are still better than anybody else's. Just don't watch that Morgan Spurlock clip where he puts fries in an airtight glass jar for like six months and they never decompose.
Why would they "decompose"? There's very little moisture in them, so mold rarely sets in. They usually just dry out into a fossil, as anyone who's ever vacuumed out their car knows. Same with the burgers - ever notice that the preserved burgers people have are almost always regular burgers or cheeseburgers, not a Quarter Pounder? Again, that's because McDonald's regular hamburgers are thin, small patties that contain little moisture, so in good conditions they dry out rather than rot. It's not "eeeeeevil chemicals" it's basic science. I think it was J. Kenji López-Alt who made a regular McDonald's hamburger from scratch and it didn't rot or mold over, either. Conversely, actual Quarter Pounders and López-Alt's clones did rot, even when stored under the same conditions as the regular burgers.
Old 01-20-22, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,228 Likes on 879 Posts

Yeah, those "McDonalds hamburgers that won't decay" are laughable.

Old french fries will just dry out and harden in short order, effectively turning into a thick potato chip. There's no more reason they should mold or deteriorate under normal conditions than a other organic material like a book or a cotton shirt would. Most people have probably had a five year old french fry hiding somewhere in their car.

A dried hamburger bun won't mold, either if it dries out fast enough -- which, the smaller it is, it will. It will just harden like a crouton.

And meat, under certain conditions, will naturally dry out and not decay. Even dead animals can mummify under certain conditions.
Old 01-20-22, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 603 Likes on 425 Posts

Tried the Arby's sandwich the other night. I thought it had an amazing flavor profile and will definitely get it again. is it the hottest sandwich ever? Not even close, but among all the fast food chains it's leagues better than the competition.

I will say it did go fantastic with the shake. I never buy fast food shakes, but it was a solid combo.
Old 01-20-22, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 448 Likes on 385 Posts

Arby's Mint Chocolate Milkshake is fantastic, one of the best items from any fast food chain. It's a shame they don't keep it around all year.
Old 01-23-22, 08:39 AM

17/17 on my Taco Pass so far.
Old 01-23-22, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
17/17 on my Taco Pass so far.
Good for your diligence. Have they started to "skimp" on your tacos yet? From 6 bites down to, say 4 or 5 bites per taco?
Old 01-24-22, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
Good for your diligence. Have they started to "skimp" on your tacos yet? From 6 bites down to, say 4 or 5 bites per taco?
More the opposite. I’ve been getting them with beans instead of the default beef, and am surprised at how packed they’re making them. Makes a pretty filling meal. Have been skipping the additional $1 menu item or saving that until a later meal.
Old 01-24-22, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 558 Likes on 356 Posts

More the opposite. I’ve been getting them with beans instead of the default beef, and am surprised at how packed they’re making them. Makes a pretty filling meal. Have been skipping the additional $1 menu item or saving that until a later meal.
Are these crunchy tacos with beans?
The following users liked this post:
Trevor (01-24-22)
Old 01-24-22, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 284 Likes on 202 Posts

Ugh, it was bound to happen...

Been almost a year since Yum Brands (Taco Bell, Pizza Hut, KFC) bought out Habit Burger, and it didn't happen immediately, as it's been gradual, but I can now tell that the quality of Habit has definitely declined from a year ago. Mostly in the quality/flavor of the burger meat.
Old 01-24-22, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 558 Likes on 356 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
Ugh, it was bound to happen...

Been almost a year since Yum Brands (Taco Bell, Pizza Hut, KFC) bought out Habit Burger, and it didn't happen immediately, as it's been gradual, but I can now tell that the quality of Habit has definitely declined from a year ago. Mostly in the quality/flavor of the burger meat.
It makes me think of when Taco Bell (then still under the Pepsi umbrella IIRC) tried to make the Hot N' Now burger chain happen nationally (bought the small regional chain and made massive changes). I ate at one once, one of the newer post-Taco Bell acquisition stores, and it was simply dreadful.
Old 01-24-22, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 241 Likes on 188 Posts

I finally tried Popeyes' for the first time Saturday night. They built a Popeyes in my area last year, but the line has always been wrapped around the building. There wasn't anyone in the drive-thru Saturday night at 9PM and I bought a classic chicken sandwich and an apple pie. Both were great. I would rank the sandwich as my favorite with Zaxby's a close second. I'm looking forward to trying the spicy version soon.
Old 01-25-22, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 187 Likes on 143 Posts

Didn't know Yum Brands owned Habit, that explains why a former KFC/A&W is closed and switching to that. Went to another Habit location for lunch last week and was underwhelmed.
Old 01-25-22, 04:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Good...

Has this $10 taco deal already bitten the dust? I don't do apps or smartphones, so I don't know...
Old 01-25-22, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 331 Likes on 198 Posts

Too bad about Habit. I liked their burgers, but now there's no reason to go there anymore.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.