Reload this Page >

The Fast Food Junkie Thread

Other Talk "Otterville"

The Fast Food Junkie Thread

Old 10-09-21, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 445 Likes on 319 Posts
Re: The Fast Food Junkie Thread

Same here. Regular restaurants have been fully open for awhile. Fast food joints are still keeping the dining rooms closed. Employee shortage problem I imagine. These giant corporations would rather forgo indoor dining instead of paying a living wage.
Old 10-10-21, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
Same here. Regular restaurants have been fully open for awhile. Fast food joints are still keeping the dining rooms closed. Employee shortage problem I imagine. These giant corporations would rather forgo indoor dining instead of paying a living wage.
What bugs me, using Taco Bell as an example, if I order something in the app, it asks me how I want to pick it up, carry out or drive thru. Don't give me the option of carry out if it's not availabe. Nothing worse then ordering something in the app and having 10 cars in the drive thru when you get there.
Old 10-10-21, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 263 Likes on 197 Posts

I haven't seen a fast food dining room be closed because of COVID since last year here in Arizona. Every place is open.
Old 10-10-21, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 287 Likes on 223 Posts

Where I am, In-n-out is promoting the fact that new hires *start* at $18 to $20 an hour, I don't know about you, but flipping burgers for $20 an hour is a far cry from a non-living wage, especially for a teenager living at home with mom and pop footing the bills.

Maybe in places like TX Taco Bell is still paying $8.75 an hour. I don't know. But, in the far West, I believe minimum is now up to $15.50 or $16 per hour.
Old 10-11-21, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 172 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
Maybe in places like TX Taco Bell is still paying $8.75 an hour. I don't know. But, in the far West, I believe minimum is now up to $15.50 or $16 per hour.
Was just looking through local ads for fast food/fast casual around me (northern VA) and everything was $11/hour and up, mostly $13-$16.

We were in Jackson, WY back in August and that place was the epicenter of employee shortages. Many of the restaurants had stopped takeout altogether due to kitchen staff shortages. I saw at least two gas stations that had shut down their convenience store entirely and were just running automated gas pumps. The local Subway was only open for lunch and on weekdays only. Pretty much every place in town had help wanted signs up. I remember that the Maverik (gas/convenience store chain) was hiring cashiers at $20/hour. That said, there is a housing shortage in Jackson and it is a ridiculously expensive place to live.
Old 10-11-21, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 395 Likes on 191 Posts

Where I am, In-n-out is promoting the fact that new hires *start* at $18 to $20 an hour, I don't know about you, but flipping burgers for $20 an hour is a far cry from a non-living wage, especially for a teenager living at home with mom and pop footing the bills.

Yes, but the point is that not everybody working those burger-flipping jobs is a teenager living at home. Maybe they are supporting themselves and need enough money to be able to rent an apartment and pay their bills and feed themselves and maybe a family. A teenager living at home is presumably not working full time, either. An older person would want to.
The following users liked this post:
Bob_Bobbson (10-18-21)
Old 10-11-21, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm just cheesed because my local Baskin-Robbins (which is also a Dunkin') has basically been completely MIA since August. They were always such nice kids, but at some point in late July the store put up a sign that says something like "due to staffing issues, the lobby is closed. Please use drive-thru". Only when you get to the drive-thru, as soon as they find out you want ice cream instead of coffee & doughnuts, they either claim they're out of whatever flavor you ask for (even chocolate or vanilla) or they just stop responding to you on the speaker. Or they just so straight-up hostile that you drive away. And there's usually at least a couple cards ahead of you, so it's not really worth it to wait in line to see what they say at the window. I thought it was just me, but the Google Reviews mention all this stuff, too.

I hadn't been to BR in probably 30 years, but went in 2019 for the Stranger Things flavors. That's when I remembered how good BR's ice cream is compared to grocery store ice cream. I've been back every 4-6 weeks ever since... until now, I guess.

Oh, and I left feedback on their website, and their reply was:"all Baskin-Robbins locations are franchised, so you'll need to bring it up with them". BR Corporate is apparently HELPLESS to do anything about it.

Yeah.
Old 10-12-21, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 93 Likes on 66 Posts

Burger King Ghost Pepper Nuggets Review - Is it Spicy!?

Old 10-12-21, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 446 Likes on 326 Posts

I've been trying to work this thing out in my head ...

On one hand ... how much "labor" are they actually saving? It isn't like they kept a dining room attendant on staff. Sure, every now and then you might eat at some place that had an old retired grandma who picked up two hours over the lunch rush or a place that provided a few hours for the special education kids, but no fast food place was keeping staff to clean the dining room.

On the other hand ... what is to be gained with indoor dining at a fast food restaurant? It's not like customers continue to make purchases the longer they stay (e.g., another beer or desert at a sit down restaurant).
Old 10-12-21, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by lwhy? View Post
I tried the new Catina Crispy Melt Taco at Taco Bell today and it was really good. The white-corn shell was great and really added to the taco. It's very messy. I wouldn't recommend trying to eat it in the car.

Here's the official description of it: A white-corn shell, freshly fried daily, with a melted layer of our three-cheese blend and nacho cheese sauce and filled with seasoned beef, reduced-fat sour cream, lettuce, tomatoes and real shredded cheddar cheese.

... and in Breaking News, Taco Bell found yet another way to repackage their five ingredients. Back to you in the studio, Ted.
Old 10-12-21, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 804 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff View Post
... and in Breaking News, Taco Bell found yet another way to repackage their five ingredients. Back to you in the studio, Ted.
We'll... put the cheese on the BOTTOM!
Old 10-13-21, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 126 Likes on 108 Posts

I've been trying to work this thing out in my head ...

On one hand ... how much "labor" are they actually saving? It isn't like they kept a dining room attendant on staff. Sure, every now and then you might eat at some place that had an old retired grandma who picked up two hours over the lunch rush or a place that provided a few hours for the special education kids, but no fast food place was keeping staff to clean the dining room.

On the other hand ... what is to be gained with indoor dining at a fast food restaurant? It's not like customers continue to make purchases the longer they stay (e.g., another beer or desert at a sit down restaurant).
The *only* time we ever eat inside at a fast food restaurant is if we're traveling and don't want to eat in the car or there's no park close by.

I'd guess the main staffing that's "eliminated" are those attending the front registers - plus they'd have to be cleaning the tables far more frequently (or actually cleaning them instead of a cursory wipe down) due to current practices.
The following users liked this post:
story (10-18-21)
Old 10-13-21, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 445 Likes on 319 Posts

Registers, cleaning tables, soda fountains, floors, bathrooms, emptying trash cans. I get it.

I like getting out of the office once a week on my lunch break. Sucks when no dining room is open to get a break from the office. Not to mention even for dinner I wouldn't mind an occasional fast food dining experience given we've all been trapped at home for a year. Sometimes ya just wanna get out of the house.
The following 2 users liked this post by Michael Corvin:
BobO'Link (10-14-21), story (10-18-21)
Old 10-13-21, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 287 Likes on 223 Posts

Four slight, little, niggling things:

1. Hot food.
2. Checking if order is correct, and having immediate recourse if it isn't vs being miles away
3. utensils, sauces, no mess to clean up at home (or, UGGGH! in the car)
4 Refills on your soda

Just saying. And I hope others see it my way, as well.
The following 2 users liked this post by zyzzle:
Michael Corvin (10-14-21), story (10-18-21)
Old 10-13-21, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Bought a large chili beans at Wendy's today but it was not spicy at all. It was also watered down. Been years I have not eaten it but it wasn't as good as before or the location just sucks.
Old 10-13-21, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Four slight, little, niggling things:

1. Hot food.
2. Checking if order is correct, and having immediate recourse if it isn't vs being miles away
3. utensils, sauces, no mess to clean up at home (or, UGGGH! in the car)
4 Refills on your soda

Just saying. And I hope others see it my way, as well.
Sorry, zyzzle ... I should have worded that better. I didn't mean what is to be gained for the customer (I agree with ALL those things) ... I meant from the business's perspective. What do they gain? It honestly seems like a losing proposition. Kind of funny since the recent trend was for redesigned interiors to put off a more relaxed or refined dining experience (Wendy's, McDonalds, I even think Burger King was starting to come around on that).

While we are at it ... no drink refills and prices haven't gone down! (Not fast food, but I will give props to Cinemark who did drop their concession prices due to no refills.)
Old 10-18-21, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 831 Likes on 656 Posts

I think what they lose is foot traffic. There's a Mcdonalds right next to my kids school which we go to whenever I want to treat them after school, and if they were drive through only we'd just skip it.

On a side note, I don't know if anyone has Church's nearby but this rings true (warning: Language):

Old 10-18-21, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 132 Likes on 108 Posts

Popeyes was mentioned in the video but they captioned it Popeyes/Churches and Churches responded with a comment of their own. 😂😂😂