DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 08-11-17, 09:16 AM   #4001
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Re: The Fast Food Junkie Thread

I haven't had the Starbucks nitro-infused cold brew, but I've had it at a few other places. It's the only way I can drink straight black coffee. Otherwise, I prefer just a bit of cream in my cold brew. Sometimes a pinch of sugar if it's really bitter.
Old 08-11-17, 09:33 AM   #4002
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Chipotle has Queso now. $1.30 to add to a burrito .... it was pretty crappy, imho.
Old 08-11-17, 09:38 AM   #4003
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
I haven't had the Starbucks nitro-infused cold brew, but I've had it at a few other places. It's the only way I can drink straight black coffee. Otherwise, I prefer just a bit of cream in my cold brew. Sometimes a pinch of sugar if it's really bitter.
Yeah, they offer the nitro as either black or with sweet cream as a standard. I imagine other stuff could mess with the texture a bit. It's good both ways.
Old 08-11-17, 10:18 AM   #4004
DVD Talk Legend

I like their cold brew coffee but will get the sweet cream version -- you gotta tell them "no pumps," because they will add sugar to it before mixing the coffee and cream. At least that's how I order mine.
Old 08-11-17, 02:29 PM   #4005
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Old 08-11-17, 02:56 PM   #4006
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Road trip!
Old 08-11-17, 07:27 PM   #4007
DVD Talk Legend

Cayenne pop rocks?! Huh.
Old 08-15-17, 04:34 PM   #4008
DVD Talk Hero

Naked breakfast tacos at Taco Bell.

Can one of you assholes try one and report back? I don't hate myself enough to do so.
Old 08-16-17, 07:55 AM   #4009
DVD Talk Hero

Using the egg as the bun is simultaneously interesting and disgusting to me for some reason.
Old 08-17-17, 11:48 AM   #4010
DVD Talk Hero

[eats taco in Korean]

for some reason that got quite the chuckle out of me.
Old 08-17-17, 11:49 AM   #4011
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So basically that's an omlette they want you to eat with your hands?
Old 08-19-17, 11:03 PM   #4012
DVD Talk Legend

Not really fast food, but seems like a good spot for this. I'm not a big State Fair person, but we went to ours tonight. "Cheese on a stick" is my fave. I felt the need to tour several of the cheese on a stick varieties ... for those who don't know, cheese on a stick is basically a hunk of cheese dipped in corn dog batter and fried. Typically it tastes like a very cheesy grilled cheese.

Most interesting: Swiss and rye -- a strong Swiss cheese dipped in a rye batter, served with a German mustard. Started off very good, but soon became a bit much. The rye batter was not overpowering and was, in fact, a little lacking. The cheese was a bit chewy and stringy but had a great taste.

Best: I suspect it is a Velveeta (or something similar) due to the melting properties of it. The batter is a standard corn dog batter. This particular vendor has been my go-to over the years (when I do go to the fair). The batter is just right in thickness and texture while the cheese is just melty-gooey greatness.

Honorable mentions: mozzarella (batter was a tad thick so the taste drowned out the perfectly stringy cheese) and cheddar (also a bit chewy and not a strong enough cheddar selection).
Old 08-20-17, 02:06 AM   #4013
DVD Talk Special Edition

That's funny... I watch Carnival Eats once every blue moon or so, and recently saw an episode that had something I'm still thinking about: pizza on a stick. This vendor basically made a shish kebab out of alternating cubes of colby jack cheese and slices of pepperoni. He then dipped it in batter and fried it, then brushed it with garlic butter and sprinkled parmesan on top. Just watching it took 2 years off my life, but I wanna try it so badly!
Old 08-28-17, 01:52 PM   #4014
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I haven't been to Burger King in a couple years, but for some reason decided to give them a go today. They've got a chicken parm sandwich special right now, and it's really tasty!!!

Their fries taste better (and are thicker) than I remember too ...
Old 08-28-17, 03:34 PM   #4015
DVD Talk Hero

Something that really annoys me is when fast food places (and BK and Arby's are the worst offenders of this) offer a special price on an entree or sandwich -- when you buy 2. I've never understood that : Are you supposed to eat two entrees or only eat with another adult who wants the exact same thing as you? If they can afford to sell two sandwiches for $5, can't they afford to sell one for $2.50? Hell, make me buy a drink if you have to. I find it totally annoying in a fast food establishment where the whole point is to run in and eat a quick meal that I'm supposed to bring a date to get in on the current promotion.

GAME CENTER ID : DECKER 01

I haven't seen Evil Dead 2.....yet.
Old 08-28-17, 04:04 PM   #4016
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow69 View Post
I haven't been to Burger King in a couple years, but for some reason decided to give them a go today. They've got a chicken parm sandwich special right now, and it's really tasty!!!

Their fries taste better (and are thicker) than I remember too ...
I had BK last week for first time in a bit and I got the BBQ bacon king and for once it actually looked like a real burger not the squashed shitty cheap ass mess they usually serve.
Old 08-28-17, 04:08 PM   #4017
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Something that really annoys me is when fast food places (and BK and Arby's are the worst offenders of this) offer a special price on an entree or sandwich -- when you buy 2.

YES! That drives me nuts! I get Hardee's coupons in the mail, and somehow ended up on Arby's email list... and so many of their coupons are BOGO sandwiches! WHY? Hardee's you've sent me at least 780 coupons since I've lived here.. and I've never once used one, 'cos I don't want (or need) two Super Barbecue Jalapeno Teriyaki Pimento Cheese Bacon Bourbon Chili Thickburgers! Send me a "buy a burger, get free fries and drink" coupons and we'll talk... but until then, your coupons are going straight into the trash!

While I'm here... what's with restaurants in beach towns (Myrtle Beach, I'm looking at you) offering such shitty coupons? "10% off your check" is decent (I guess) if I was planning to go to that restaurant anyway... but it sure as hell isn't going to entice me to go if I hadn't planned to do so already: "Hey, honey! We can save TWO WHOLE DOLLARS at Bubba's Burger Barn with this coupon! Let's go!"
Old 08-28-17, 04:38 PM   #4018
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Something that really annoys me is when fast food places (and BK and Arby's are the worst offenders of this) offer a special price on an entree or sandwich -- when you buy 2. I've never understood that : Are you supposed to eat two entrees or only eat with another adult who wants the exact same thing as you? If they can afford to sell two sandwiches for $5, can't they afford to sell one for $2.50? Hell, make me buy a drink if you have to. I find it totally annoying in a fast food establishment where the whole point is to run in and eat a quick meal that I'm supposed to bring a date to get in on the current promotion.
They're probably hoping you bring someone and you both want fries and a drink.

Me? I'll just snag two sandwiches to go.
Old 08-28-17, 04:50 PM   #4019
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, I'll take two sandwiches over just one w/ fires & drink. I don't like fries, and I only drink water.

As for chicken sandwiches, these BK, and even ChickfilA, sandwiches ain't nothing to this shit I've been eating lately:

[size]
Spoiler:

Last edited by slop101; 08-28-17 at 05:01 PM.
Old 08-28-17, 05:03 PM   #4020
DVD Talk Godfather

And that is why the Arby's coupons everyone seems to love always end up in the trash for me. I have no interest in one hot sandwich and one reheated later.

Now Playing: Horizon Zero Dawn | Puzzle Craft 2
Old 08-28-17, 05:11 PM   #4021
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What the heck is wrong with you people? You never take your significant other to a fast food restaurant for dinner?
Old 08-28-17, 07:16 PM   #4022
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

BOGO on the high priced sandwiches is the best deal they ever have! I either bring a friend or eat one later. Fast food sandwiches heat up surprisingly well if you put a few seconds of work into it (take cold items off, toast bun and meat).
Old 08-28-17, 07:48 PM   #4023
DVD Talk Legend

Funny reading the recent posts--I use coupons from Burger King and Arby's all the time and save tons of money. Guess I find myself there with the kids more times than not. BK will frequently have one for 2 chicken sandwiches and 2 fries for $4.99. Throw in value size drinks/waters and it's hard to beat. And my daughter and I always use an Arby's coupon for 2 can dine for $8.99. 2 sandwiches, fries, drinks and mozzarella sticks. That would normally ring up $17 or so I'm guessing.

"i 'm new here. most of people in here are good. but there is a miserable person. Look into your mirror. Superboy!" --New Member, robert11
Old 08-28-17, 10:38 PM   #4024
DVD Talk Legend

Hmmm. I didn't realize that I had never had Chipotle ... until yesterday. Yeah, not my choice. We went to eat with my daughter's volleyball team and that is where they stopped after a tournament.

Anytime people talked about Chipotle, I was apparently thinking of Qdoba.

Anyway ... what the fucking meh. It wasn't terrible or shitty as many have intoned ... it literally has no taste, even the allegedly marinated steak and medium salsa! I have never had any commercially prepared meal so bland in my life. Hell, even Army food and hospital food have flavor to them!

Add to that the fact that they were out of hard taco shells ... wtf? Their "guacamole" was just a smashed avacado -- no lime, salsa, onions, nothing. What a fucking joke.

There is a local place in Decatur called Solsa American Burrito Company (http://www.solsaburritos.com) that uses the same concept (build your own "Mexican" food) that is a million times better. They have many more choices (additional base choices: nachos or loaded tater tots; many more fillers such as mango, macaroni & cheese, more varieties of cheeses and vegetables), and the food has a good fresh taste.

Last edited by Abob Teff; 08-28-17 at 10:43 PM.
Old 08-28-17, 11:01 PM   #4025
DVD Talk Special Edition

Nice try.