DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 06-04-14, 12:05 PM   #1
DVD Talk Special Edition

So how much is a "celebrity" autograph worth to you?

I used to enjoy going to comic conventions, and horror cons and places like that and meeting celebrities to get their autographs. It used to seem like back then the actors who attended would charge you at most $30 and were happy to take a photo with you for free even if you didn't buy something. Now I look at what some of them are charging and it's almost bordering on ridiculous. These are some of the prices actors charged for recent appearances at comic cons:

David Boreanaz at Wizard World Chicago: $120 for an 8x10, $150 everything else.

Jason David Frank the green power ranger: $40(btw he used to always brag about never charging fans for autographs).

William Shatner: $80

Adam West: $100 or more depending on what is being signed.

Mark Hamill: $130 for an autograph $150 to sign a lightsaber

David Duchovny at New York comic con: $80

Sigourney Weaver at NYCC: $185(no wonder she wants to do Alien 5).

Sylvester Stallone at NYCC: $395

Maybe it's just me but it seems like meeting a celebrity and getting an autograph is less about spending time with them and more about their ego and how much they can charge fans.
Old 06-04-14, 12:09 PM   #2
DVD Talk Hero

Re: So how much is a "celebrity" autograph worth to you?

At most, $0.

I'd prefer they pay me, since I went to see their film for which they made millions of dollars.

I don't understand. You wrote your name on something, and you're going to charge money for that?

Signatures on a baseball or something are cool, but I assumed they did that for free for their fans.
Old 06-04-14, 12:11 PM   #3
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, some use it to clear lots of cash during the weekend of Comic Cons and such. Serious cash gets made.

I would never pay for an autograph or ask for one. Lou Ferrigno charges $20 at SDCC and makes a killing.
Old 06-04-14, 12:12 PM   #4
DVD Talk Godfather

I dropped $20 each for players on UL's Championship squad. That's about as high as I'd go.

Now Playing: Horizon Zero Dawn | Puzzle Craft 2
Old 06-04-14, 12:15 PM   #5
DVD Talk Legend

I would never pay for a signature outright, but when Dan Aykroyd was making stops at liquor stores throughout the US to promote his line of vodka you could just buy the liter of booze and have him sign up to 3 things. It was like $30 or $40 for the vodka (which is very good, BTW) but I was able to get him to sign a one-sheet from the first Ghostbusters to go along with Bill Murray's signature.

I've never been anywhere to find a celebrity and just ask for an autograph, though. I got "Weird Al" Yankovic's after a concert so if you include the price of the concert it was like $30.

I get at conventions the B-listers who charge for autographs need to make a living but I'm not paying $50 for a signed 8x10 by some guy who was a stand-in for the child Jason in one of the Friday the 13ths.
Old 06-04-14, 12:17 PM   #6
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Th0r S1mpson View Post
Signatures on a baseball or something are cool, but I assumed they did that for free for their fans.
Many athletes sign at sports shops as well

Players signing at a sporting event would be like a Star signing things on the Red Carpet.
Old 06-04-14, 12:18 PM   #7
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
I dropped $20 each for players on UL's Championship squad. That's about as high as I'd go.
Is that legal in the NCAA? I know they are very strict about athletes and making $$$ while still in School.
Old 06-04-14, 12:19 PM   #8
DVD Talk Legend

$0

I have signed things because I enjoyed meeting the person, not because their scribble might be worth hard currency.
Old 06-04-14, 12:19 PM   #9

I've never understood the appeal of autographs. Sure, if they aren't charging for it, please sign my photo/prop/whatever. Like the above poster said, all they do is take a sharpie and write their name on something. Why is that so special? They don't have any personal interest in what you have, they are simply doing it for money.

Taking a photo with a celebrity I can understand a bit more, but I'd still never pay a ridiculous amount of money for it. At least you have a visual memory.
Old 06-04-14, 12:28 PM   #10
DVD Talk Legend

"One of the things with the wall is you need transparency," Trump said. "You have to be able to see through it. In other words, if you can't see through that wall — so it could be a steel wall with openings, but you have to have openings because you have to see what's on the other side of the wall."
Old 06-04-14, 12:30 PM   #11
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have a lot of signed books from going to author readings. It's a good deal since I usually was planning to buy the book anyway and I can have a bit of a chat with the author. I think I look at the signature as "proof of our meeting", since I'm not interested in buying books pre-signed, or even buying books signed by authors who have now passed on.
Old 06-04-14, 12:31 PM   #12
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Deadman31: how does Inuit oral history compare with Inuit anal history? Sean O'Hara: Seal blubber is a horrible lubricant. Let's just leave it at that.
Old 06-04-14, 12:47 PM   #13
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdeluxe View Post
Many athletes sign at sports shops as well
I just payed $90 to have Jerry Rice sign a mini helmet at a sports shop. That's about as high as I'm willing to go nowadays and that's mainly because I don't trust buying an autograph unless they sign it right in front of me. Becoming a stalker is my only other option.

Quote:
Players signing at a sporting event would be like a Star signing things on the Red Carpet.
If you get to the park early enough while batting practice is still going on baseball players often sign stuff for you but 1. There's no guarantee you'll be in the right spot for an autograph and 2. The chances of getting a certain player are pretty slim.

Aside from baseball players I don't think I've ever seen a football/basketball/hockey player ever sign before a game.
Old 06-04-14, 01:03 PM   #14
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have signed books of Where the Sidewalk Ends and A light in the Attic because my girlfriend's father was friends with the author. I wouldn't have paid anything for it though but I do love those books.
Old 06-04-14, 01:10 PM   #15
DVD Talk Ruler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Of Hell View Post
I have signed books of Where the Sidewalk Ends and A light in the Attic because my girlfriend's father was friends with the author. I wouldn't have paid anything for it though but I do love those books.
Did he ask where he should sign?
Perhaps on the spine?
In a straight line?
One thing for sure his signature is better than mine
And that suits me just fine.
Old 06-04-14, 01:23 PM   #16
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I have a lot of autographed crap, mainly from comic conventions. All the comics I have signed were free, but I've paid for the occasional "celebrity". Never more than $30 though. It isn't as important to me as it used to be though. Now when I go to a con I can't even be bothered to dig out my comics to drag them down the to convention to get them signed for free. If I buy something and the creator happens to be there signing stuff you buy is really the only time I'll bother to get something autographed now. Maybe if someone I really admired was appearing I might pony up for a picture or something, but those people are few and far between. I'd rather have a photo than an autograph these days.

Last time I even considered doing it was when Carrie Fisher was signing at the Motor City Comic Con in 2009. My twin daughters were born that Saturday morning, so it wasn't meant to be.

-----
PSN: CactusKind

Last edited by Obi-Wan Jabroni; 06-04-14 at 01:33 PM.
Old 06-04-14, 01:38 PM   #17
DVD Talk Legend

Wouldn't pay. Not important enough to me. I've only had two things signed - one I can't even remember the name because he was only known as an inker for Jack Kirby (Ayers? Now I gotta go find it!). The other is Charles Schultz, whom I caught at San Diego (early '80s, I'm guessing?). The Schultz autograph is something I value as a fan, but I would not have paid for it.
Old 06-04-14, 01:42 PM   #18
kd5
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I would never pay for an autograph from anyone.

My DVD/BD Collection
Old 06-04-14, 01:47 PM   #19
DVD Talk Legend

I have some autographed 8x10s of pro wrestlers that I purchased from them at shows. The most I'd pay is $10. As for any "value", I value the memory of getting to meet them and chat with them more so than the actual signature.
Old 06-04-14, 01:47 PM   #20
DVD Talk Ruler

I used to go to the Star Trek conventions and whoever was appearing would show up and speak to anyone who wanted to listen and then they'd sit down at a table and sign a photo of themselves for free (and they would supply the photo). It was all part of the admission price of like $20 or whatever it was.

Today you need to pay to get in, pay to hear them speak, pay for an autograph .. forget it.
Old 06-04-14, 01:48 PM   #21

$0.00
Old 06-04-14, 01:52 PM   #22
DVD Talk Legend

I actually prefer unsigned memorabilia. Most people have ugly signatures. I would much rather have a game-used bat from Joe DiMaggio than a signed ball.

Over 5000 Blu-rays ranked by pure video quality.
Old 06-04-14, 02:00 PM   #23
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I have a handful of signed things - some baseballs, a football, a bat, a couple comics - but didn't pay for any of them. In fact, the only ones that were purchased were the comics (gift from my grandmother). My favorite item is either a baseball signed by the entire 1974 Atlanta Braves (gift from a family friend who worked for the Mets and had a ton of memorabilia) or a bat signed by Chipper Jones (an aunt was friends with some of his friends, ended up at his house and he pulled a bat from his stash to sign).
Old 06-04-14, 02:00 PM   #24
DVD Talk Limited Edition

When I was a kid, I paid money for a Kirby Puckett autograph on a card, because he was my favorite player. Now that I'm older, I don't care about that kind of thing, so I wouldn't pay a dime.
Old 06-04-14, 02:05 PM   #25
DVD Talk Reviewer

$20 is my cap, which I've only done a few times:
Traci Lords
Tippi Hedren
Ricou Browning
Jack Hill
Linnea Quigley