DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 06-10-14, 12:30 PM   #126
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: So how much is a "celebrity" autograph worth to you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xraybies View Post
$0 because I don't worship celebrities.
Old 09-04-16, 09:44 PM   #127
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pointyskull View Post
$20 is my cap, which I've only done a few times:
Traci Lords
Tippi Hedren
Ricou Browning
Jack Hill
Linnea Quigley
When I began attending horror conventions a few years back, $20 was the standard price for an actor's signature. A photo op with your camera was almost always included. I'm shocked to see some of them have doubled their autograph price in the last couple years, plus extra to take a picture or sign anything larger than an 8x10. It's gotten obnoxious. Not sure if it's more the event organizers, booking agents, or plain old celebrity greed that's to blame. Linnea was charging $40 to sign something at a show I attended yesterday. Even as the queen of cheap '80s B horror, I couldn't believe some fanboys were paying that (not many, but a few). Traci Lords is scheduled to be at a local con in a few weeks and I read she charges $40 as well.

I made the mistake of approaching the woman who doubled for Linda Blair and also donned the Pazuzu make-up in The Exorcist. She was on the bottom rung of the guest list, but it was my first opportunity to meet a person connected to one of my favorite movies. I don't think she liked that I asked if she had to hang around the freezing bedroom set for lighting set-ups ("No, that wasn't my job.") After I shelled out for the autograph, she kept directing my attention to the book she was selling whenever I tried asking a question. I hate when a guest does the hard sell, so that was a turn off.

She had no price list at her table and had the nerve to hit me up for an extra $10 when I requested a picture with her before leaving. I've never paid more than $30 total to get a signed 8x10 w/photo op from ANY genre actor (and I sure wasn't going to with this piece of work) so I simply walked away. The vibe felt negative. Her autograph was already overpriced at $25. The white demon face is an iconic horror image, but I attribute that more to Dick Smith's brilliant make-up than to her wearing it. Despite a career that included a stint on General Hospital and a few one-off guest appearances on a some prime time network series over 30 years ago (and mostly D-list horror movies these days), The Exorcist connection is her only real claim to "fame"... and she was only on screen for a few seconds. Shaking down fans at these shows is nothing new, but I'm giving up the convention hobby if the guests keep pulling that kind of crap.

The day wasn't a total bust. I got to meet Heather Langenkamp and Amanda Wyss from A Nightmare on Elm Street, as well as Lisa Wilcox from Dream Master and Dream Child. All three charged $30 for an autograph, which included a photo op with your camera. I believe Lisa charged less if you wanted one or the other -- and she threw in a nice metal pin with "ALICE LIVES" embossed on the front. Considering the Nancy and Alice characters were the main protagonists of the series and Amanda has been in some other popular films, their prices (though pushing it) seemed a tad more reasonable. Those ladies were awesome to speak with and could not have acted more friendly toward the fans.

Last edited by joe_b; 09-08-16 at 04:54 AM.
Old 09-04-16, 11:32 PM   #128
DVD Talk Special Edition

Bought a CD from Toni Braxton that came with a signed poster
Bought a limited edition bluray of Sade's last show that she signed
Donated to Kickstarter to fund TLC's last album for which I'll get a signed copy

Do those count or just straight autographs? I paid Julie Newmar and Nichelle Nichols about $50 each for signed photos off their website, about it.
Old 09-04-16, 11:37 PM   #129
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

My brother collects baseball autographs. I don't collect any. We were at a game together when he left his seat to get some minor leaguer who was up in September to sign a ball. While he was gone I got an autograph from a former player who was broadcasting the game that day. My brother came back showing me his ball signed by a soon to be forgotten nobody. I gave him my ball and told him all I was able to get was Hall of Famer Joe Morgan's autograph. It made his day.
Old 09-05-16, 12:22 AM   #130
DVD Talk Legend

I just remembered the last time I wanted to get something signed.

In 1977, there was a 22-author signing event in Atlanta. Schwarzenegger was there, and I wanted to go . . . but not enough to convince my dad to drive me there. I learned afterward that you had to buy his book, and that his line was hours long. A copy of The Education of a Bodybuilder cost about $22, which was nearly three months allowance, and today would be worth about $90. I'm happy with how things worked out.
Old 09-05-16, 02:17 AM   #131
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geddlo View Post
Mark Hamill, someone i'd wanted to meet since i was 5, spelt my name wrong at nycc a few years ago. he and his reps were cool though and fixed things but it started me on a string of getting celebs to personalize what they sign.
I got Ian Mcdiarmid to write: to bryan, come the darkside, we know how to spell your name.
If those were pictures that were signed, I hope you kept Mark Hamill's misspelled personalization and framed it with McDiarmid's.

-- Lucius Annaeus Seneca
Old 09-05-16, 11:40 AM   #132
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga

I got this at Goodwill, so....$1.99?

I'd like to see Johnny Depp direct a movie about Tim Burton directing a movie starring Johnny Depp, in which Johnny is directing a film about Danny Elfman, who is composing the music for a new Tim Burton film starring Johnny Depp.....playing Danny Elfman.
Old 09-05-16, 11:53 AM   #133
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

I don't think I'd ever pay for an autograph, but if I'm at a con or ballgame or something an autograph is a nice touch to help me later remember the event.
Old 09-05-16, 11:57 AM   #134
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Infidel View Post
I got this at Goodwill, so....$1.99?

Good find, Judy!
Old 09-05-16, 02:35 PM   #135
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Wow I remember Kristi Lee from her sports announcing days - she was the bench reporter when ESPN/ESPN2 showed the Major Indoor Lacrosse League in the mid 1990s. Will never forget the one interview she did with the great John Tavares who played for the Buffalo Bandits. John had to cut the interview short since he had to go on the field for his shift. John said "Sorry Kristi, you are beautiful in all and I would love to continue chatting with you but I have to go out and score a goal". Well he leaves the bench and about 20 seconds later scores a goal. He then comes back to the bench and finishes off the interview.
Old 09-05-16, 02:40 PM   #136
DVD Talk Hero

It really depends on who the person is.

Back in April, I paid $70 for a photo op and autograph with Ming Na Wen from Agents of Shield at an LA comic convention. But, I've been a fan of hers for years prior to that show and always wanted to meet her. She was pleasant and looked really good in person.

I'm sure she made a nice chunk of money that day, but the agency that actually books her to appear at the event probably took a good chunk of the autograph/photo fees.
Old 09-05-16, 02:58 PM   #137
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
It really depends on who the person is.

Back in April, I paid $70 for a photo op and autograph with Ming Na Wen from Agents of Shield at an LA comic convention. But, I've been a fan of hers for years prior to that show and always wanted to meet her. She was pleasant and looked really good in person.

I'm sure she made a nice chunk of money that day, but the agency that actually books her to appear at the event probably took a good chunk of the autograph/photo fees.
I think they either agree to appear for little fee then keep the autograph money or are guaranteed an appearance fee and they split the proceeds. My only experience were the celebrity dinners I did when I had my limousine service. This being Rochester these were not huge stars. But anyone who bought tickets to the event could come for the autograph session in the afternoon, and that evening have pictures taken with the celebrities. Don't recall the exact amount but I think the tickets were $100 and this was 1991 - 1993.
Back in 1992 my job was to convince people they needed a cellphone. How things have changed. // 65" LG OLED B6P, Pioneer Elite vsx91, MX-450 remote, 253 DVD's, Samsung K8500 UHD 389 BR titles, 23 UHD4K titles, Toshiba A35 57 titles, Definitive Technologies speakers and supercube sub.// Still wanted on Hi-Def disc: Bugsy/Dragnet/PearlHarbor(Directors cut)/Timeline/Tin Cup/True Lies
Old 09-05-16, 03:06 PM   #138
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
She appeared at Planet Comic-Con 2015. I didn't do the autograph thing (kinda regret that now) but she had a panel. It turned out pretty good. She was funny and very personable. I did take some pics. Btw, if you get a chance to meet her, as you can see, she likes when fans make bracelets for her.

My So-Called DVD Life (Profiler),A Fistful of Discs (DVDAf)
Old 09-05-16, 03:28 PM   #139
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaxBandit View Post
Wow I remember Kristi Lee from her sports announcing days - she was the bench reporter when ESPN/ESPN2 showed the Major Indoor Lacrosse League in the mid 1990s. Will never forget the one interview she did with the great John Tavares who played for the Buffalo Bandits. John had to cut the interview short since he had to go on the field for his shift. John said "Sorry Kristi, you are beautiful in all and I would love to continue chatting with you but I have to go out and score a goal". Well he leaves the bench and about 20 seconds later scores a goal. He then comes back to the bench and finishes off the interview.
All this time I thought you were a fan of the airport....

I'm a creationist, I believe man created God. - Seen on a bumper sticker
Old 09-05-16, 03:52 PM   #140
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm not into collecting autographs at all. When I was working in radio in the late '80s as a program director, my station was one of the first to play stuff by a new band named Collective Soul. Because I became chummy with their A&R person, I got a personalized Christmas card signed by all of the members of the band. I ended up giving it to a friend 20 years later because Collective Soul was her favorite band.

I did actually pay for an autograph, now that I think about it. My brother sent me a link to a Jan Terri video on YouTube a few years ago, and we became big "fans" of her work. (If you've ever heard and/or seen her, you'll know why I used the quotation marks.) Two years ago, I was wracking my brain, trying to come up with the perfect gift for him, and I remembered that Ms. Terri sells autographed photos. Her prices were 1 for $20, or 2 for $25. So I got him one AND me one. I framed his and gave it to him for Christmas, and he was absolutely floored. It was totally worth it.
My blogs: Psychotronica Redux / Unpopular Culture
Old 09-05-16, 06:54 PM   #141
DVD Talk Gold Edition

My most prized autograph is Jane Goodall who signed my copy of "50 Years At Gombe." I don't know what it's worth.
Old 09-05-16, 07:03 PM   #142
DVD Talk Legend

I have Pat Hitchcock's autograph on a book about her father. Had to buy the book, but I was either the first person there or the only person there, I don't remember, but I got to spend a good amount of time talking to her. Is she still alive?

Any Cubs fans here? I once attended spring training in Phoenix and everyone was surrounding this older black guy in a Cubs jersey. I had a ball that a pitcher warming up had tossed to me. I got this black guy's signature assuming he was some old veteran Cub making an appearance. I figured I could give it to my daughter. Turned out it was the "Wooo! Cubs" guy. My buddy had to explain to me who he is. Apparently he's a fixture at Wrigley. So I've got his autograph. The ball probably has more value.

Last edited by Mabuse; 09-05-16 at 10:20 PM.
Old 09-05-16, 08:03 PM   #143
DVD Talk Legend

I've got a Neil Armstrong somewhere that is probably worth a decent amount. He stopped signing not too long after I got him if I remember correctly. I've got an Alan Shepard also.

I've also gotten some decent music stuff over the years. Hopefully I'll add a signed Kraftwerk album this weekend.
Old 09-05-16, 09:10 PM   #144
DVD Talk Legend

I was able to get the original members of Asia to sign a poster 6 years ago.

After a concert near Philly they set up a table and signed whatever you had.

They were nice.
Old 09-05-16, 09:22 PM   #145
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdollaz View Post
I've got a Neil Armstrong somewhere that is probably worth a decent amount. He stopped signing not too long after I got him if I remember correctly. I've got an Alan Shepard also.
I met Buzz Aldrin about 10 years ago when he had a business meeting in my small town. I didn't ask him to sign anything because 1. It wasn't really an autograph situation (the guy was sitting in on a meeting) and 2. I didn't want to get punched.
Old 09-05-16, 09:25 PM   #146
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ View Post
I met Buzz Aldrin about 10 years ago when he had a business meeting in my small town. I didn't ask him to sign anything because 1. It wasn't really an autograph situation (the guy was sitting in on a meeting) and 2. I didn't want to get punched.
1. It would be rude. and 2. I wouldn't want to get punched by Buzz too.
Old 09-05-16, 09:31 PM   #147
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike45 View Post
1. It would be rude. and 2. I wouldn't want to get punched by Buzz too.
I agree, which is why I never asked, though how many times would I have a chance to get an autograph by Buzz Aldrin?! It would have been nice if a good opportunity presented itself. I mean, it was just me, Aldrin, and four other people in the room!
Old 09-05-16, 10:11 PM   #148
Somewhat Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
I have a few signed books that I would have bought anyway.
Yeah, I've bought autobiographies from Christopher Lee and Bruce Campbell that included them signing them and I was cool with that, I wanted the books anyway, getting them personally signed was a bonus IMO. Other than that, the only autograph I ever paid for was George Romero, but the price included a talk he did that I wanted to attend anyway (I had him sign my Dawn of the Dead original script). But other than situations like those, I'm certainly not paying for autographs, especially the ridiculous prices asked, with cattle call lines, these days, no thanks!
Old 09-06-16, 01:52 AM   #149
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't think I've ever specifically paid for an autograph, apart from buying signed books (Carl Reiner, John Irving, Philip Farmer, Stephen Hunter, Orson Scott Card) and a few signed movies (Guillermo del Toro, Rob Zombie).

I've gotten a few in-person autographs. Halle Berry and Patrick Stewart, as well as musicians Philip Glass, late jazz pianist Ray Bryant, and The Tea Party (very cool dudes). Also met Hugh Jackman, and got a picture with him (Super nice guy.) Met James Marsden, too. Actually, all my in-person autographs/meetings were great experiences. Only thing even close to a bad experience was the indifference when getting a CD signed by Moe Koffman. Not a big deal, as I wasn't a huge fan like I am of the previous musicians mentioned.

I can't really think of anyone I'd particularly pay to just get an autograph. I do have a friend that attends cons and pays quite a bit for photo ops, but he and his kids really enjoy it, so all the power to him. Actually, I'd probably pay for a Thomas Harris signing, as he's the only one of my favourite authors from whom I'm lacking a signed book.
Old 09-06-16, 01:11 PM   #150
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I usually get a couple each year at Comic-Con. Depends on who is there, how much they are charging, how much I want their autograph, and how close they are to death. This year, knock on wood, I am going to get Stan Lee's autograph.