Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Unarmed white teens get shot by homeowner (UPDATE: GUILTY...of MURDER!)

Other Talk "Otterville"

Unarmed white teens get shot by homeowner (UPDATE: GUILTY...of MURDER!)

Old 04-23-14, 05:11 PM
  #1  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 5,786
Received 141 Likes on 106 Posts
Unarmed white teens get shot by homeowner (UPDATE: GUILTY...of MURDER!)

http://www.twincities.com/localnews/...t-killed-teens

Somewhat the opposite of the Martin/Zimmerman case.

In this case they're white, and actually going on a crime spree of breaking and entering and burglary. Also they are shot in the homeowners house, rather than being chased throughout the neighborhood.

If it were black teens, the homeowner likely would not have been charged. They broke into his house 3 separate times. The last time he was in his basement and shot them when they came down the stays towards him.

He may have gone a little too far by shooting them a second time; however he could have no idea if there were more intruders in the house and leaving them alive could have made him vulnerable if they weren't already critically injured.
Old 04-23-14, 05:23 PM
  #2  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Earth
Posts: 3,872
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
re: Unarmed white teens get shot by homeowner (UPDATE: GUILTY...of MURDER!)

What isn't in this article but is in other is that after several burglaries, the homeowner installed video cameras through out his house. With those footage and sound captured, it shows pretty clearly that he wasn't fearing for his life. He wanted those two teens to die and it a pretty horrific way. You don't say shit like, "a good, clean finishing shot" or "you got what you deserved" if you're defending your life. He's going away for the rest of his natural life.
Old 04-23-14, 05:34 PM
  #3  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 5,786
Received 141 Likes on 106 Posts
re: Unarmed white teens get shot by homeowner (UPDATE: GUILTY...of MURDER!)

Originally Posted by SuperJim88 View Post
What isn't in this article but is in other is that after several burglaries, the homeowner installed video cameras through out his house. With those footage and sound captured, it shows pretty clearly that he wasn't fearing for his life. He wanted those two teens to die and it a pretty horrific way. You don't say shit like, "a good, clean finishing shot" or "you got what you deserved" if you're defending your life. He's going away for the rest of his natural life.
He went overboard by making cheesy action movie dialog as he was defending himself and describing it to the police. But, that does not mean he wasn't in fear of his life. He would have no way of knowing if they were armed when they came down the stairs. If I were in his shoes, I would have shot them too. I wouldn't have dragged them to another area to shoot them again. I would have left them on the stairs as it would be an obstacle for any other possible intruder trying to come down the stairs.
Old 04-23-14, 06:35 PM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 628
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
re: Unarmed white teens get shot by homeowner (UPDATE: GUILTY...of MURDER!)

If I was on the jury he would be going home.
Old 04-23-14, 06:42 PM
  #5  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
DVD Polizei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 53,737
Received 150 Likes on 110 Posts
re: Unarmed white teens get shot by homeowner (UPDATE: GUILTY...of MURDER!)

I think if somebody trespasses on another's property and enters their home...the homeowner can do whatever they want.
Old 04-23-14, 06:46 PM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 628
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
re: Unarmed white teens get shot by homeowner (UPDATE: GUILTY...of MURDER!)

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
I think if somebody trespasses on another's property and enters their home...the homeowner can do whatever they want.
You break into someone's house they should have the right to tie you to a chair and use jumper cables, a blow torch a pliers on you, IMO.
Old 04-23-14, 06:46 PM
  #7  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Giantrobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Gateway Cities/Harbor Region
Posts: 60,672
Received 808 Likes on 543 Posts
re: Unarmed white teens get shot by homeowner (UPDATE: GUILTY...of MURDER!)

^^Good thing you're not on the jury.

I heard about this today and I'm having a hard time with it. I get that his home had been robbed 2 or 3 times by this kid, but the way he handle it is what may send him to prison.

I mean he shot the kid in the face...AFTER he had already shot him. And, he put a 22 under the girl's jaw to make sure she was dead....yeah, i'm not sure he was in any real danger.
Old 04-23-14, 07:02 PM
  #8  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 5,786
Received 141 Likes on 106 Posts
re: Unarmed white teens get shot by homeowner (UPDATE: GUILTY...of MURDER!)

I can't see how this can be premeditated. How can you plan for someone else you've never met before to rob you so you can kill them?
Old 04-23-14, 07:09 PM
  #9  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Why So Blu?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 34,993
Received 648 Likes on 504 Posts
re: Unarmed white teens get shot by homeowner (UPDATE: GUILTY...of MURDER!)

Originally Posted by movieguru View Post
I can't see how this can be premeditated. How can you plan for someone else you've never met before to rob you so you can kill them?
Cuz he already had a surveillance system in place. He shot the first kid and then waited for his friend to come for him. He saw her walk down the steps before he shot her. Not only that, he blew her head off while she was incapacitated on the floor.

He was extremely methodical about it AND the fact that he waited almost a day before he called authorities doesn't help.
Old 04-23-14, 07:10 PM
  #10  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
DVD Polizei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 53,737
Received 150 Likes on 110 Posts
re: Unarmed white teens get shot by homeowner (UPDATE: GUILTY...of MURDER!)

Originally Posted by Giantrobo View Post
^^Good thing you're not on the jury.

I heard about this today and I'm having a hard time with it. I get that his home had been robbed 2 or 3 times by this kid, but the way he handle it is what may send him to prison.

I mean he shot the kid in the face...AFTER he had already shot him. And, he put a 22 under the girl's jaw to make sure she was dead....yeah, i'm not sure he was in any real danger.
I'd imagine we'd have much less break-ins and burglaries if the word got out a person was not subject to play by the rules if an unauthorized person broke into their home and was not under obligation to fear for their life...in order to take another life.
Old 04-23-14, 07:13 PM
  #11  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
DVD Polizei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 53,737
Received 150 Likes on 110 Posts
re: Unarmed white teens get shot by homeowner (UPDATE: GUILTY...of MURDER!)

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
Cuz he already had a surveillance system in place. He shot the first kid and then waited for his friend to come for him. He saw her walk down the steps before he shot her. Not only that, he blew her head off while she was incapacitated on the floor.

He was extremely methodical about it AND the fact that he waited almost a day before he called authorities doesn't help.
He did wait a day, but that wouldn't be premeditation. I'd say that was a reaction to killing two people. It's not like he skipped town and didn't call authorities at all.

Being prepared for future break-ins doesn't mean you're guilty of a premeditated killing.
Old 04-23-14, 07:13 PM
  #12  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 1,782
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
re: Unarmed white teens get shot by homeowner (UPDATE: GUILTY...of MURDER!)

Every person has the right to defend themselves but it sounds like he went overboard. People who are angry and take their frustrations out with their firearms should have their rights to bare arms taken away. Before anyone complains about my comments, I'm a firearm owner and I sell them for a living.
Old 04-23-14, 07:18 PM
  #13  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 5,786
Received 141 Likes on 106 Posts
re: Unarmed white teens get shot by homeowner (UPDATE: GUILTY...of MURDER!)

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
Cuz he already had a surveillance system in place. He shot the first kid and then waited for his friend to come for him. He saw her walk down the steps before he shot her. Not only that, he blew her head off while she was incapacitated on the floor.

He was extremely methodical about it AND the fact that he waited almost a day before he called authorities doesn't help.
Yes, but "premeditated" means you planned the murder well in advance. Putting in surveilance devices after you've been robbed does not imply premeditated murder. Neither does owning a gun long before you were even robbed. Again, they came to him. He didn't actively go seek these thieves out and try to kill them. Only after they committed another felony and broke into his house a third time did he kill them.
Old 04-23-14, 07:18 PM
  #14  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Why So Blu?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 34,993
Received 648 Likes on 504 Posts
re: Unarmed white teens get shot by homeowner (UPDATE: GUILTY...of MURDER!)

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
He did wait a day, but that wouldn't be premeditation. I'd say that was a reaction to killing two people. It's not like he skipped town and didn't call authorities at all.

Being prepared for future break-ins doesn't mean you're guilty of a premeditated killing.

No, I'm saying he calculated the second shooting by laying there in wait for the girl to walk down into the basement. He shot her walking down, saw that she was not getting back up, and finished her off with a bullet to the brain.

If he would have called police right after he shot the first kid then there would be no issue. Almost a day. And he recorded it too! They're going to use the surveillance footage to prosecute him.
Old 04-23-14, 07:18 PM
  #15  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
DVD Polizei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 53,737
Received 150 Likes on 110 Posts
re: Unarmed white teens get shot by homeowner (UPDATE: GUILTY...of MURDER!)

Originally Posted by Ringmaster View Post
Every person has the right to defend themselves but it sounds like he went overboard. People who are angry and take their frustrations out with their firearms should have their rights to bare arms taken away. Before anyone complains about my comments, I'm a firearm owner and I sell them for a living.
I'm still going to comment, regardless of your firearm ownership.

So, now we're in the business of telling homeowner's how to respond to burglars? I'd agree with you 100% if this guy was on a public street, but this was his home. The Home is where I draw the line. Even in your car in a public street I will side with more prudence with a weapon, but a person's home is where people need to learn to not fuck around.
Old 04-23-14, 07:24 PM
  #16  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Why So Blu?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 34,993
Received 648 Likes on 504 Posts
re: Unarmed white teens get shot by homeowner (UPDATE: GUILTY...of MURDER!)

And I'm not saying I would not have shot intruders myself. But lets say I shoot someone and they're winged or clipped I don't think I'm going to hover over their wounded body and shoot them in the face or empty my clip. If they die from my initial shots then that's different.

There's an "after the fact" component here that they're addressing.
Old 04-23-14, 07:28 PM
  #17  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Why So Blu?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 34,993
Received 648 Likes on 504 Posts
re: Unarmed white teens get shot by homeowner (UPDATE: GUILTY...of MURDER!)

And here's even more clarification on how the girl was killed - looks like she took more damage than the boy did:

When another teen began descending the stairway minutes later, Byron Smith fired again. The girl tumbled down the stairs and he shot her some more, including what he allegedly called "a good, clean finishing shot" into her head as she gasped for air, according to a criminal complaint.

She was shot at least once walking down the stairs, fell and tumbled down, and looks like he kept firing at her as she came tumbling down. Then he walks over to her and plants a bullet in her forehead.

I think he got her with the first shot, though.
Old 04-23-14, 07:32 PM
  #18  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 5,786
Received 141 Likes on 106 Posts
re: Unarmed white teens get shot by homeowner (UPDATE: GUILTY...of MURDER!)

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
No, I'm saying he calculated the second shooting by laying there in wait for the girl to walk down into the basement. He shot her walking down, saw that she was not getting back up, and finished her off with a bullet to the brain.

If he would have called police right after he shot the first kid then there would be no issue. Almost a day. And he recorded it too! They're going to use the surveillance footage to prosecute him.
What was he supposed to do? Stand there in plain view and give her a chance to kill him if she was armed? Or put his life at risk and walk up the stairs and possibly run into armed intruders?
Old 04-23-14, 07:34 PM
  #19  
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Llama School
Posts: 6,538
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
re: Unarmed white teens get shot by homeowner (UPDATE: GUILTY...of MURDER!)

He using a silencer or something or was this chick part of the 2 percentile group?
Old 04-23-14, 08:06 PM
  #20  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Sean O'Hara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Vichy America
Posts: 13,533
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: Unarmed white teens get shot by homeowner (UPDATE: GUILTY...of MURDER!)

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
So, now we're in the business of telling homeowner's how to respond to burglars?
I'm gonna go with "yes" here. You only have the right to defend your home from an actual threat. You don't get to kill a burglar who's raised his hands in surrender, is trying to escape, or is already incapacitated.

Hell, if the guy were a soldier and he did this in a battle, it'd be a war crime.
Old 04-23-14, 08:41 PM
  #21  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 11,975
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts
re: Unarmed white teens get shot by homeowner (UPDATE: GUILTY...of MURDER!)

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara View Post
I'm gonna go with "yes" here. You only have the right to defend your home from an actual threat. You don't get to kill a burglar who's raised his hands in surrender, is trying to escape, or is already incapacitated.

Hell, if the guy were a soldier and he did this in a battle, it'd be a war crime.
They had already broken into his home 3 times! If he just injured them and lived, probably wouldn't serve time as they have gotten away before, they come back and kill him for revenge? He wanted to put an end to this shit. Good for him. No sympathy when you are a repeat burglar.
Old 04-23-14, 08:43 PM
  #22  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Why So Blu?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 34,993
Received 648 Likes on 504 Posts
re: Unarmed white teens get shot by homeowner (UPDATE: GUILTY...of MURDER!)

Wow, the fascism is strong in this thread. Nevermind the FEMALE got it worst than the guy after the fact. Once someone is incapacitated or dead you don't keep on firing bullets into them.

Seriously - mind blown by some of you.

Last edited by Why So Blu?; 04-23-14 at 08:52 PM.
Old 04-23-14, 09:10 PM
  #23  
DVD Talk Legend
 
DaveyJoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Maryland
Posts: 19,260
Received 133 Likes on 96 Posts
re: Unarmed white teens get shot by homeowner (UPDATE: GUILTY...of MURDER!)

Wholesome white kids? This guy is going away forever.

Old 04-23-14, 09:13 PM
  #24  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Why So Blu?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 34,993
Received 648 Likes on 504 Posts
re: Unarmed white teens get shot by homeowner (UPDATE: GUILTY...of MURDER!)

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe View Post
Wholesome white kids? This guy is going away forever.

Wow. Yep, this dude is toast regardless of what the fascists think.
Old 04-23-14, 09:27 PM
  #25  
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Llama School
Posts: 6,538
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
re: Unarmed white teens get shot by homeowner (UPDATE: GUILTY...of MURDER!)

I think they are retarded for going for premeditated 1st degree. This guy gets off on that charge. The defense lawyer is licking his lips.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.