Advice for Moving

Other Talk "Otterville"

Advice for Moving

Old 03-31-14, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 621 Likes on 451 Posts
Re: Advice for Moving

Originally Posted by Matt925 View Post
If you have a lot of electronic equipment in different setups (say a tv setup in the living room, one in the bedroom, a computer) keep all the cables for each setup in different ziplock bags so you don't get things mixed up.
Depending on your experience, be sure to label the ends of the cables so you can reattach quicker.
Old 03-31-14, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mndtrp View Post
I'll be damned if I'm going to lug around boxes while the owner sits in their bedroom putting things in boxes.
My friend did this to us once. He kept saying "it will only take 10 minutes to throw all this stuff in bins." Him and his girlfriend ended up packing the whole night while we did all the moving. Very annoying.
Old 03-31-14, 04:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Love all this advice. Some things I hadn't thought of!
What made my day is that I called my landlord to give him my 30 days notice and he told me I can use my security deposit for my last months rent. Whoop!
I guess paying my rent on time all these years was helpful after all. Who knew
Old 04-04-14, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've never heard anyone refer to signing a lease as "closing" guess it's a NYC thing? Around here closing means buying.
Old 04-04-14, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 190 Likes on 126 Posts

Don't go to supermakets for boxes. Liquor stores usually have stacks of them and they are stronger.
Old 04-05-14, 10:33 PM

I've gotten a few boxes from the supermarket that are sturdy. Luckily I work in a large office building and I have been able to bring home 3-4 good moving boxes home every day. I have packed all of my movies which I admit took up an embarrassing amount of boxes. After reading the "Alan Smithee" my landlord is threatening me page I am absolutely going to get rid of some of my DVD's after the move, or at least store them in a way that doesn't take up so much space. I will have to wait till after the move though or I will become sidetracked.
I will try the liquor store for boxes as well, didn't think about that. Enlisted a friend to help me with books next Saturday. I've done some general purging, but I think that is the move gets closer I will have more of a "fuck it" attitude and toss things.
Old 04-05-14, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 579 Likes on 409 Posts

Move your bed now and begin living at the new place. Take things over as you need them. With one week to go, have a sale to get rid of anything which has not made it to the new place.
Old 04-05-14, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 650 Likes on 506 Posts

but I think that is the move gets closer I will have more of a "fuck it" attitude and toss things.
That's a good attitude to have. It's very liberating. Sale and dump as much crap as you can before you move. The bed is the most important part, though.
Old 04-05-14, 11:13 PM

Unfortunately, the elevator in my current building is out. They are remodeling all the elevators in my complex and luckily I live in the last building with the last elevator to be updated! Still have to get the place painted anyway. I should have someone in there by next week I hope. I would do it myself but it's too much work. It needs a professional job, and no I don't want to have a "painting" party
Packing is keeping me busy enough!