Reload this Page >

I'm moving to FloriDA!

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

I'm moving to FloriDA!

Old 03-18-14, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts
Re: I'm moving to FloriDA!

If you have children, keep them out of the public school system in Florida. Anyone coming from the urban areas of the North East or West Coast will find the educational standards quite lacking. You have to remember that for a huge percentage of the children, learning English is more of a priority than most other academic subjects.
Old 03-18-14, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Can I offer you some advice? Avoid Miami. It's a hell-hole.

Oh, don't get me wrong the beaches are lovely and there's plenty of nightlife and outdoor activities and all that garbage. But Miami-Dade County is a toilet. There are better areas in South Florida to raise families, with all the benefits of living in South FL (weather, activities, no state income tax, FL-resident rates at Disney, etc) Most of them in Broward or Palm Beach counties.

And Miami... yeah. Prepare for hot, muggy, rainy, humid, swelteringly nasty for the vast majority of the year. Say goodbye to seasons. If you don't know Spanish by now, its already too late. Invest in bug repellent. Arm yourself. If you have young children and you're planning on enrolling them in public schools... home school them. Arm yourself. Get to know and love every strip-mall restaurant in the universe, because that's what the locals consider fine cuisine. Every road turns into a toll road. Insanely high homeowners insurance rates will fund stadiums for local billionaires without bothering with a public vote. Anything and everything related to Cuba and Castro will be front page and top-of-the-hour news on local stations. Arm yourself. If you need to drive anywhere on a weekday between the hours of, say, 2PM and 7PM? Don't. Oh, and arm yourself.

On the plus side, Miami has the single highest concentration best looking women on the planet. EVERYWHERE you look, there they are. This is undeniable.
Old 03-18-14, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

Miami isn't that bad, though I agree non-Spanish-speaking Americans should look more into Broward or Palm Beach. Miami is also great if you are loaded, there is a reason why all NBA players want to play for the Heat.
Old 03-18-14, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I have thought about Broward, is still close to family but not that close which might be good and a little less crazy. I do know Spanish
Old 03-18-14, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whenever I've considered moving down there I have limited myself to "red counties". Is that still a good strategy overall?
Old 03-18-14, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Monday night football STARTS at 8:30 pm. Don't go.
Old 03-18-14, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
Miami isn't that bad
All subjective, of course. I will say that I've lived in South FL for 42 years, 35 of them in Miami. I couldn't wait to get out and haven't looked back. I will also say that the only areas of Miami-Dade worth keeping are Palmetto Bay (east of US-1), Pinecrest, Coral Gables, South Miami, Key Biscayne, Coconut Grove (the safe areas) and Aventura (which is practically Broward anyhow). The rest should be nuked from orbit. It's the only way to be sure...

I'm fluent in Spanish which not only came in handy, it was an absolute necessity with earlier jobs.
Old 03-18-14, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Timber View Post
Whenever I've considered moving down there I have limited myself to "red counties". Is that still a good strategy overall?
You mean "red" as in counties that vote conservative? If you don't mind living in the prototypical "poor deep south" areas, absolutely. Take away South Florida, Orlando, and Tampa, and Florida is basically Mississippi with slightly better teeth.
Old 03-18-14, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy View Post
You mean "red" as in counties that vote conservative? If you don't mind living in the prototypical "poor deep south" areas, absolutely. Take away South Florida, Orlando, and Tampa, and Florida is basically Mississippi with slightly better teeth.
I was thinking more like Collier County...Sarasota or places like that. Mainly west coast.
Old 03-18-14, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Timber View Post
I was thinking more like Collier County...Sarasota or places like that. Mainly west coast.
The Naples/Immokalee/Ave Maria area? I'm not particularly a fan; if you're looking at the Gulf Coast I think Ft. Myers or Sarasota are better areas. Sarasota has some particularly beautiful areas and plenty of history/culture/activities, plus a close proximity to Tampa for professional sports, Berns steakhouse, and the best damn nudie bars on the planet.
Old 03-18-14, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

Can't wait to read about you in the "news".
Old 03-18-14, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

We moved to Orlando last July. I opened a topic on it then.

We are loving it so far.

Disney and Universal every week.
Finding new places to eat.

Weather has been perfect.
Old 03-18-14, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

^ you moved from where, if u don't mind me asking
Old 03-18-14, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I live in Central Florida as well and I agree with what other posters have said: each area of Florida is unique. In fact, the northern/panhandle area, central region, and southern part are like three separate states in and of themselves. I live at the northeastern end of what is known as the I-4 corridor. It runs from Daytona down to Orlando, and ends in Tampa. If you want a true mixing pot of cultures that's not all deep south (panhandle) or mostly hispanic(South FL), then I recommend this area. Also, since you have kids, you're never more than an hour and a half away from Disney World.
Old 03-18-14, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by rexinnih View Post
Monday night football STARTS at 8:30 pm. Don't go.
More like 8:45 after the pre-game stuff. The fact that everything happens so late is kind of a kicker.
Old 03-18-14, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Phila.
Old 03-18-14, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought Miami Lakes was nice.

I moved to Orlando six years ago. It's been fine, but down the road, I think I'd like to buy a second home in Fort Lauderdale since Orlando is rather touristy.
Old 03-19-14, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 76 Likes on 59 Posts

I don't claim to be a Florida expert, but I've been there many times. I would consider parts of the Gulf Coast very nice. Sarasota and environs. Siesta Key, to be specific. I don't know if I would want to reside anywhere in Fla., but it's certainly nice for a vacation... when the weather cooperates.
Be prepared to leave when the oceans rise.
Old 03-19-14, 07:27 AM
Admin-MemeCat

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD View Post
I live in Central Florida as well and I agree with what other posters have said: each area of Florida is unique. In fact, the northern/panhandle area, central region, and southern part are like three separate states in and of themselves. I live at the northeastern end of what is known as the I-4 corridor. It runs from Daytona down to Orlando, and ends in Tampa. If you want a true mixing pot of cultures that's not all deep south (panhandle) or mostly hispanic(South FL), then I recommend this area. Also, since you have kids, you're never more than an hour and a half away from Disney World.
This is a great point. The I-4 corridor is a melting pot of the rest of the country. I know people from everywhere where I live here in Tampa. I have friends who grew up in NYC, I have friends who grew up in MA, PA, MN, MI, IA, Puerto Rico. Miami is more Hatian/Cuban from what I've seen in my travels. I go to South FL a lot on business. I like Ft Lauderdale over Miami.
Old 03-19-14, 07:28 AM
Admin-MemeCat

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume View Post
I don't claim to be a Florida expert, but I've been there many times. I would consider parts of the Gulf Coast very nice. Sarasota and environs. Siesta Key, to be specific. I don't know if I would want to reside anywhere in Fla., but it's certainly nice for a vacation... when the weather cooperates.
Be prepared to leave when the oceans rise.
I'll probably jinx myself, but Tampa Bay has not had a hurricane direct hit since 1927. That's one advantage of being on the west coast of FL. The storms have to reverse direction to hit this particular area. South FL and the east coast usually get at least one hit or brush with a hurricane every year.
Old 03-19-14, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 60 Likes on 49 Posts

Anyway with Florida you also do have your choice locations:
Spoiler:

Miami
Spoiler:

West Palm Beach:
Spoiler:

Orlando
Spoiler:

Tampa:
Spoiler:

Jacksonville:
Spoiler:

Cape Canaveral:
Spoiler:

Everglades:
Spoiler:

alright so it's mostly just lightning (it comes and goes, a lot of 30 - 45 minute long storms) and the occasional alligator on a golf course

Last edited by RichC2; 03-19-14 at 10:34 AM.
Old 03-19-14, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts

Fuck.That.Shit.
Old 03-19-14, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
Anyway with Florida you also do have your choice locations:
Spoiler:

Miami
Spoiler:

West Palm Beach:
Spoiler:

Orlando
Spoiler:

Tampa:
Spoiler:

Jacksonville:
Spoiler:

Cape Canaveral:
Spoiler:

Everglades:
Spoiler:

alright so lightning aside you don't really see much of the other stuff, alligators are common on golf courses though.

When I heard Florida this is basicly when went though my head.
Old 03-19-14, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 60 Likes on 49 Posts

Yeah it's the easiest association to make, though we haven't had a thunderstorm in a few months. Of course, I have no idea what's going on in the Cape Canaveral pic (super imposed time lapse?), and the same thing applies everywhere, Seattle:

Old 03-19-14, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

There was a very heavy storm just two nights ago through central Florida.

All those pics seem pretty interesting to me.

We haven't seen any gators on the streets yet but there is one living in a pond
That you can sometimes see from 417 southbound near exit 27.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.