Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

NYC recommendations, if you please.

Other Talk "Otterville"

Old 03-16-14, 09:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I'll be in NYC next Saturday for 10 days. We are planning on doing the standard touristy stuff, ie: Staten Island ferry, Rockefeller, Times Square, New Jersey (Devils game), MoMA, Guggenheim, etc. We are really interested in finding out about some Manhattan centric stuff that we've, either, never heard of or flew under our radar. Do you have a fave restaurant? A museum no one has heard of? Maybe a walk that might take us somewhere cool/different?

We are staying in the upper west side, but we'll be walking and using the subway constantly. We can be anywhere and everywhere. Your suggestions are much appreciated!
Old 03-16-14, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: NYC recommendations, if you please.

No. We don't want tourists coming to our places. Stay in Times Square.
Old 03-16-14, 10:28 PM

I'm more of a "Do as the Romans do" kind of guy, so Times Square is a short visit for us. You must have a suggestion or two that wouldn't undermine "your" New York.
Old 03-17-14, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

To the Devils game, take Jersey Transit train or the Path train to Newark. Much easier and cheaper. Especially the Path.
As for NYC, is not what it used to be. You could probably get a Knicks game in just to say you went to MSG.

Edited to add, skip Chinatown if you were thinking about going there. Nothing there to see really. Just bootleg bags everywhere.
Old 03-17-14, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 166 Likes on 110 Posts

Gary Numan - Saturday March 22 @ Webster Hall in Manhattan

Old 03-17-14, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I need a good place to eat lunch on Wednesday in midtown / theater district. Vegetarian options. Anyone? Also, something fun/interesting to take my daughter to for a few hours before and after a matinee? My plan was to just walk around aimlessly as I'm always overwhelmed with trying to plan anything.
Old 03-17-14, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

To the OP, The Strand bookstore is fun, if you are into that sort of thing. I'd personally walk around the village and take in some Dylanology. Yeah, I've got nothing.
Old 03-17-14, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 154 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by Buckaroo Banzai View Post
My wife and I'll be in NYC next Saturday for 10 days. We are planning on doing the standard touristy stuff, ie: Staten Island ferry, Rockefeller, Times Square, New Jersey (Devils game), MoMA, Guggenheim, etc. We are really interested in finding out about some Manhattan centric stuff that we've, either, never heard of or flew under our radar. Do you have a fave restaurant? A museum no one has heard of? Maybe a walk that might take us somewhere cool/different?

We are staying in the upper west side, but we'll be walking and using the subway constantly. We can be anywhere and everywhere. Your suggestions are much appreciated!
The Frick Museum at 70th St. and Fifth Avenue--right across Central Park from where you'll be staying--is an unusual museum in an old mansion that I've been to on two occasions and wish I made an effort to go more often. It's quite a beautiful space and more manageable to see on a single visit than, say, a large place like MOMA or the Metropolitan Museum of Art. I would recommend visiting the Met any way but just let yourself get swept up in the place and let your instincts guide you. I've had more fun when I do it that way than when I go to individual exhibits.

Central Park is always fun. And the Bronx Zoo. You used to be able to ride the elevated subway through the South Bronx on the way to the zoo and see all the abandoned buildings, but everything's been fixed up, so that tour is obsolete. But at least the zoo is still there. (#2 train uptown to Pelham Pkwy)

If you venture into Chinatown, go to Columbus Park, on the site of the old Five Points district (where GANGS OF NEW YORK took place). Go to the southern end of the park and you can actually see where the five points converge. Inside the park around 5PM, all the old Chinese congregate to play mahjongg at the outdoor tables and play Chinese music on traditional instruments. It's one of the few "old world" settings you can still find in Manhattan.

Here's a YouTube video I shot of music being performed in Columbus Park back in September:
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/J9vBpTvtwHw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And a few months earlier:
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/XoiXCmddlfg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

If you go to my channel page, you might find some other short videos of NYC that might be useful to you.

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 03-17-14 at 10:40 AM.
Old 03-17-14, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

A Salt And Battery (112 Greenwich Avenue) has the best fish and chips in the U.S. in my opinion. Only place that makes them right. And I grew up in England.
Walking in Central Park is nice. And try and hit a show or two on/off Broadway.
Old 03-17-14, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

What Tracer Bullet said.

There is very little, if any good food in midtown.

But seriously, here are some things to check out:
Yerba Buena -Ecuadorian/Peruvian, Latin food fusion. Greenwich village (1 Perry Street). Really good. http://ybnyc.com/media/yerbabuena.html

Grand Central:
Transit Museum, Whispering gallery near the under-renovation Oyster Bar, “meet at the clock” a la The Fisher King, people watching but get the fuck out of the way, look up to see Zodiac, and of course a visit to Campbell Apartment (15 Vanderbilt Ave.) to pretend you are a railroad magnate.

Katz’s Delicatessen (on Houston Street) "I'll have what she's having."

Murray’s Cheese Shop (on Bleecker Street)

Joe's Pizza 7 Carmine St.

McSorley's Old Ale House 15 E. 7th St.; www.mcsorleysnewyork.com
touristy but still fun "We were here before you were born."

Tehuitzingo Deli Grocery (Hidden taco place in back of bodega. Great place.) - 695 10th Ave (between 47th St & 48th St) http://www.tehuitzingo.net/

If it warms up, take a walk around the Meatpacking District

Also:
-230 5th drinks with great for views. (27th St. and 5th Avenue)
-Ça Va – Todd English – AMAZING FOOD and design (Hell’s Kitchen)

If the weather is good, walk across the Brooklyn Bridge for great views and going to Brooklyn Battery Park and getting ice cream at Brooklyn Ice Cream Factory.

If very adventurous –visit Greenwood Cemetery in Brooklyn and discover all of the amazing people who “reside” there.

Brooklyn - Peter Luger Steakhouse, Di Fara Pizza

Lombardi's Pizza - Spring Street

Head up to Harlem (when buildings aren't exploding) for amateur night at the Apollo, https://www.apollotheater.org/all with dinner at Melba’s or Vinateria

Last edited by Jazzbutcher; 03-17-14 at 04:19 PM.
Old 03-17-14, 06:20 PM

Buddha, thanks for the transit info. We were wondering about the best way to do that.

CRM, we are both readers so a bookstore would be a perfect way to slow the day down a bit.

Ash, the Frick museum sounds right up our alley. This is exactly the kind of info we are looking for. We will be checking out Chinatown for sure.

Phodg, thanks for the eats idea. We both love fresh fish and chips, this will be on our to-do list.

Jazz, your list is so comprehensive we couldn't do it all in 10 days, however your restaurant ideas are extremely helpful. Also we didn't even think of walking the Brooklyn Bridge, so now we'll plan a day around that.

We have booked some shows while we are there. Once, All the Way, and Waiting for Godot. We'd like to see one more, anyone have thoughts on that?

Last edited by Buckaroo Banzai; 03-17-14 at 06:29 PM.
Old 03-17-14, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 167 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by Buckaroo Banzai View Post
We have booked some shows while we are there. Once, All the Way, and Waiting for Godot. We'd like to see one more, anyone have thoughts on that?
Go see ROCKY and give us a review...I'd love to see it if I had the chance.
Old 03-17-14, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

Do see a Broadway show. I saw Wicked while working in NY, well worth it! Fantastic.
Old 03-17-14, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I am a huge reader and hate the Strand, so keep expectations low.

Pio Pio is a good mini chain of tasty Peruvian chicken restaurants.

PS1 is the contemporary offshoot of MOMA in an old school building. Lots of interesting things to see.

I like walking around Coney Island when it isn't summer time.

Johns of Bleeker and Katz's should be your must eats. Get the pastrami on rye with mustard at Katz's with sour tomatoes and extra sour pickles on the side.

Walk the Highline. If you do one thing outside, this should be it.
Old 03-17-14, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonX View Post

I like walking around Coney Island when it isn't summer time.

Johns of Bleeker and Katz's should be your must eats. Get the pastrami on rye with mustard at Katz's with sour tomatoes and extra sour pickles on the side.

Walk the Highline. If you do one thing outside, this should be it.
I disagree here, I liked Carnegie Deli much more than Katz. I know Katz is iconic, but I enjoyed the meats at Carnegie much better.

Our family LOVED going to the various parks on the weekend. Central Park, if the weather is good is fantastic. I also had great affinity for Prospect Park and, again with the weather, the fireflys.

As for something a bit different, I liked going to Astoria/Queens and wandering around the European stores. If you are willing and in the area, I recommend Martha's Country Bakery. Greatest Napoleons ever. And very good coffee and other pastries. Get some Bread there too...mmmmmmm.

I also enjoyed the Citi Bikes. Great fun, but traffic can be a bit crazy.
Old 03-18-14, 02:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well since no one else mentioned it, I might as well: The 9/11 Memorial. They've recently made major changes to the reservation system and advance ticketing is subject to a $2/person fee.
My favorite time to visit the Metropolitan Museum is Friday or Saturday nights. It's much less busy than during the day. Consider walking across Central Park on the way to the Met, but take the M86 bus back to the west side at night. If you haven't burned out on art, you might want to consider going up to the Cloisters at the northern tip of Manhattan. A Met/Cloisters ticket will cover same day admission to both places. Pay-what-you-wish is in effect although they don't make it TOO obvious.
Places to eat: Eataly on 23rd and B'way/5th Ave. Supposed to have a great beer-roof garden. Right across the street is the iconic Flatiron Building.
If you take a tour of the High Line stop in at Chelsea Market to get provisions for a picnic.
If you want to see if your schedule can accommodate a museum visit during the hours it is free, then here's a link.
That's all I've got for now.