DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 03-11-14, 05:40 PM   #101
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Landlords on my case about my cleanliness!

If you lived in that tiny place with a pet rabbit, I can imagine you aren't receptive to bad smells.
Old 03-11-14, 05:47 PM   #102
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave-o View Post
Lots of good suggestions here so far. I know you said money is tight, but if you can spare a couple of hundred dollars, you could also have a professional organizer come in and help.
Sheldon Cooper will do it for free.
Old 03-11-14, 06:00 PM   #103
Somewhat Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber View Post
And what does collecting have to do with a case of what appears to be Sunkist in the middle of the floor? So much more then just "collecting" going on here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
That Sunkist box is there because I recycle my soda cans in those and take them out when they're full.
I'm not sure that would be the best place to put the box, but it is there for a purpose.
Old 03-11-14, 06:20 PM   #104
DVD Talk Reviewer

Quote:
I don't want to judge, don't buy movies while your still in school, especially if you don't even have a fulltime job in your career yet. Save whatever money your making.
I don't want to judge, but theirs an obvious error in you're grammar. And I'm a bit older than someone "still in school," long story short is I didn't finish the first time around, my last careers (movie theater, then Tower Records) tanked and going back to school is the only way I can qualify for a real job to last the rest of my life.

Re: the Sunkist box: Homeless people always scrounge the dumpsters around here for cans, so I've found that by filling up these boxes with them and putting them out helps both of us- I don't get the place cluttered with empty cans, and they can pick them up conveniently.
Old 03-11-14, 06:23 PM   #105
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingermck View Post
I considered those but 24 discs for $24 doesn't sound cost effective to me, especially if you have thousands of DVD's. In the OP's case, he'd save more space and money by getting binders.

I'm in the same predicament and i'm considering the Bellagio-Italia binders:

http://www.amazon.com/Bellagio-Itali...ref=pd_sxp_f_r

Anyone use these?
Old 03-11-14, 06:30 PM   #106
DVD Talk Reviewer

Grrr- didn't think this warranted a new thread, but I gotta vent now about the people across the street: Their house had a basement fire a few weeks ago, house is still intact but smoke damage inside so they took all their crap out. They had 3 baby kitties who were carried out safe, and being a good person (despite my messiness) I lent them one of my cat carriers, along with my name, address and phone number so they could get it back to me. Now someone just told me the people left town and I probably won't get the carrier back. I hate people- just hope the cats ended up in a better home. They should let ME rent the house when it's fixed!
Old 03-11-14, 06:46 PM   #107
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nausicaa View Post
I get a lot of mail, and I never open it. At this point, I have nearly five years of back mail saved and unopened.
If you have not looked at it in five years, you do not need it. The law or the IRS would have already come for you and it is likely too late to fix anything that you should have done before.
Old 03-11-14, 06:51 PM   #108
DVD Talk Legend

So which corner do you shit in?
Old 03-11-14, 06:53 PM   #109
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXcentris View Post
I considered those but 24 discs for $24 doesn't sound cost effective to me, especially if you have thousands of DVD's. In the OP's case, he'd save more space and money by getting binders.
Doesn't it say it's a 20 pack of those, so 480 DVDs for $24?
Old 03-11-14, 06:59 PM   #110
DVD Talk Legend

OP, you sound like you know you're a hoarder or at least have hoardig tendencies. Right now it may not be a huge issue (though you're already getting threats of eviction) but hoarding mentality is all about escalation. They start with a little "organized" clutter and before they know it they can't even enter certain rooms of their house, have large piles of trash everywhere, and are living in very unsanitary conditions (especially if you also live with animals).

I'd take this eviction scare as well as the advice from family and friends (it sounds like your mom has already tried to broach the subject a time or two) as a wake up call and get your home cleaned up sooner rather than later. It may not seem like dire circumstances now but a few of those Hoarders episodes I've seen end with the person's house being condemned by the Health Dept. If that eventually becomes the case, you better believe your landlord would have a legitimate issue with it.
Old 03-11-14, 07:25 PM   #111
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallyOPD View Post
Doesn't it say it's a 20 pack of those, so 480 DVDs for $24?
Doh! You're right, I obviously can't read.

Although binders would probably eat less space.
Old 03-11-14, 08:25 PM   #112
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Since I'm a neat freak I can see a possible issue, extremely cluttered and one could say if there is no time to clean is there time to use a fraction of that stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacoby Ellsbury View Post
Yay a bunch of movies I'll watch once and hold on to as they depreciate 90% in value and add clutter to my home and weigh me down.
I used to have a 1000+ DVD and a 1000+ CDs back when I joined this site. Sold or am in the process of selling every last one except for about 50 movies for my kids. Most of them lost most of their value and the ones that didn't that went OOP I was thrilled to sell for $10-60 each. Everything is digital now. Yay rent more storage units, thats some terrible advice. Get rid of the worthless crap.
That reminds my of my thought process over the years, got so pointless and sold just about everything off. (even buying so much used the value was overall horrible) Digital works fine.
Old 03-11-14, 08:29 PM   #113
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Same here, when Reel.com coupons were flying ... and all kinds of other deals flowing .. I probably got 2-3 DVDs in the mail every day, not to mention all the Laser Discs I had. I am down from hundreds to about 60 that are movies I really enjoy and can see watching again and they have good extras on them

Now I probably buy 4 DVDs a year .. if that.
Old 03-11-14, 08:53 PM   #114
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearFan View Post
Same here, when Reel.com coupons were flying ... and all kinds of other deals flowing .. I probably got 2-3 DVDs in the mail every day, not to mention all the Laser Discs I had. I am down from hundreds to about 60 that are movies I really enjoy and can see watching again and they have good extras on them

Now I probably buy 4 DVDs a year .. if that.
Something I really noticed over time is after enough years I remembered everything so well (normally after once or twice that happens) that I wanted to watch something I have NOT seen vs a film I have watched at least half a dozen times. It gets to the point where more time needs to pass before watching a movie again. I have noticed a few people here and there that have gotten tired of buying so many films, likely hit the same mind set we ran into.
Old 03-11-14, 11:00 PM   #115
DVD Talk Hero

Alan,

Do you have as many movies as you do posts.

The owners should realize you've always paid your rent on time, and that generally makes up for any "lost revenue" the owner might think they're losing. The costs of kicking a tenant out for drug use or non-payment of rent can take several months, with no rental revenue for that apartment.

Your place is rather cluttered, however. Is there any other way to store your movies? Seems like they take up all your living space.

"I don't sell airplane parts. I've never sold airplane parts."
Old 03-11-14, 11:32 PM   #116
DVD Talk Legend

For those interested in the 24 Disc Poly Case, here is a size comparison pic I just took:

"We wouldn't have to "regress" so much if it wasn't for that weird period in comics history when EVERYTHING in comics had to be awful and bleak. Characters died, became killers, were crippled and had lots of pouches and belts on their costumes, and we, this generation of creators, represent the undoing of that." - Ethan Van Sciver.
Old 03-11-14, 11:47 PM   #117
DVD Talk Hero

Thanks for the pic. I'm in the middle of renovations now so I'm not sure what type of shelves/shelving units I'll get. But I bookmarked the site for that 24 disc Poly case for future reference.
Old 03-11-14, 11:57 PM   #118
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
I take pride in my cleanliness and a couple years ago I moved into a new construction unit and it is immaculate.

I do have one odd habit though, and that is mail. I get a lot of mail, and I never open it. At this point, I have nearly five years of back mail saved and unopened.
Does not compute.

Seriously, that is a strange habit.

"i 'm new here. most of people in here are good. but there is a miserable person. Look into your mirror. Superboy!" --New Member, robert11
Old 03-12-14, 12:56 AM   #119
DVD Talk Gold Edition

is ebay the best place to sell used DVDs?
Old 03-12-14, 01:01 AM   #120
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I rather Amazon

"Twitter, Instagram and Facebook has given everyone a voice.. and they're all collectively using that voice to whine about everything. - Goat3001 "
Old 03-12-14, 01:14 AM   #121
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Dude, what a sty! I don't know how you live like that, seriously. Rule of thumb is If you have to step over anything to walk around, there's a problem. And how ironic that you keep a vacuum in the middle of the room, plugged in and ready, in a place that dirty.
Old 03-12-14, 01:27 AM   #122
Banned

Jesus. From that picture...You need to clean that shit up I have a lot of shit too but it's very neat compact.
Old 03-12-14, 01:27 AM   #123
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Smithee View Post
Hey, I admit I'm a slob and a hoarder- just posting because I don't know how much of that a landlord is allowed to regulate. Since this is turning out to be a city code thing and the landlord isn't as hot to give me the boot as I thought, I'll just do my best to comply. My mom called me a hoarder once, thinking it would shock me, and I just said I was OK with it. .
That's the problem. You should NOT be okay with it.
Old 03-12-14, 01:30 AM   #124
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
Don't you hate it when you complain about something in this forum, and everyone thinks you're wrong?

(My parents got pizza last night, and they gave my teenage brother more than me. I'm 26 and sleeping there rent-free with my girlfriend in the top bunk. I have to convince you that my parents were wrong!)

(I'm dating a psycho chick. I'm really into her, but she treats me mean. How can I make her love me?)

(A transvestite picked me up at the bus station for a quickie. Tonight s/he's spending the night my apartment. Booyah!)
Nick ... if you ruin this for us, we will cut you. Cut you bad, man.
Old 03-12-14, 02:06 AM   #125
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:

I do have one odd habit though, and that is mail. I get a lot of mail, and I never open it. At this point, I have nearly five years of back mail saved and unopened. I need to shred most of it at some point (lots of bank statements etc.), but I save it all in case I missed something important. I have an entire shelf in my closet with stacks of mail. Some day...
Is is mostly junk mail looking? How can you stand NOT opening it?