Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Landlords on my case about my cleanliness!

Other Talk "Otterville"

Landlords on my case about my cleanliness!

Old 01-28-22, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Received 723 Likes on 499 Posts
Re: Landlords on my case about my cleanliness!

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee View Post
The new unit is twice the size of the old one. The old unit had everything packed in Tetris-style, and the projection stuff was obtained later so it was mostly in the front. I put that stuff towards the back this time. It isn't piled as high yet as the old unit. Yes, I know it's nuts to keep media I don't care much about, but even the sports tapes will likely have SOMETHING of interest- music, maybe a funny shot of the audience, something like that. I like the old NFL Films for those reasons. The Pretty Woman tape is from Japan, I think it was put out for grabs at the Tower office. I haven't checked it for trailers. I've got enough tapes at home to go through before I bring this one back over.

The projection stuff is a conundrum because I may not ever have a place to set it up myself, but I still would not want to trash it. I don't know how much film projection equipment is left in the world but I don't want to contribute to its decrease, a lot of it was already trashed when theaters got rid of them.
Not that it needs to be mentioned, but the bolded is totally hoarder behavior. "Might have something of some small value someday" is the red flag for when the desire to keep it is totally irrational. I understand you are OK with that, but just saying ...
The following users liked this post:
Alan Smithee (01-28-22)
Old 01-28-22, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 736 Likes on 468 Posts

Just trying to wrap my brain around paying rent on a storage unit for VHS tapes that might have a "funny" shot of an audience member. It really sums this whole thing up.
The following 5 users liked this post by Draven:
danwiz (01-29-22), GoldenJCJ (01-28-22), Nick Danger (01-29-22), Norm de Plume (01-28-22), VinVega (02-07-22)
Old 01-28-22, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 477 Likes on 329 Posts

Originally Posted by DeanoBKN View Post
Alan, do you keep an inventory of everything in that storage unit? Hypothetically, let's say tomorrow that building burnt down and everything was lost. What would you do?
I imagine a lot of tears would be involved followed by many, many media shopping sprees.

Originally Posted by flansered View Post
There are some theaters that do show old prints that might be interested in the projector, but really you're not going to give it up so it doesn't really matter.
Yes, I asked earlier about any attempts he has made to find a home for it, but those questions, along with others, went unanswered. I bet there are some schools out there that could use it, but I know he's counting on someone magically knocking on his door with the perfect offer or someone randomly happening upon the unit after he's dead and needs a projector.

The new unit is twice the size of the old one. The old unit had everything packed in Tetris-style, and the projection stuff was obtained later so it was mostly in the front. I put that stuff towards the back this time. It isn't piled as high yet as the old unit. Yes, I know it's nuts to keep media I don't care much about, but even the sports tapes will likely have SOMETHING of interest- music, maybe a funny shot of the audience, something like that. I like the old NFL Films for those reasons. The Pretty Woman tape is from Japan, I think it was put out for grabs at the Tower office. I haven't checked it for trailers. I've got enough tapes at home to go through before I bring this one back over.

The projection stuff is a conundrum because I may not ever have a place to set it up myself, but I still would not want to trash it. I don't know how much film projection equipment is left in the world but I don't want to contribute to its decrease, a lot of it was already trashed when theaters got rid of them.
​​​​​​​
Are we really at the point where things are kept just because of an isolated shot of the audience? Let's say that there is indeed an amusing audience shot on the video. What purpose will it serve you? What will you do with it?

I know we've often said that you're a fan of media rather than movies, but this is getting really out there. There was a time that I thought you might really want to get help, but you seem to retreating further into your disease and are totally OK with it. It's uncomfortable to watch.
Old 01-28-22, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 280 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by clckworang View Post
​​​​​​
Are we really at the point where things are kept just because of an isolated shot of the audience? Let's say that there is indeed an amusing audience shot on the video. What purpose will it serve you? What will you do with it?
I bet that person checks youtube every day just hoping someone found that old video of them in the stands at a 1976 Bears game, converts it from VHS to digital, and then loads it on the internet.
Old 01-28-22, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 196 Likes on 151 Posts

Alan, do you keep an inventory of everything in that storage unit?
Not everything, but I do use the CLZ/Collectorz.com movies app on my iphone to keep track of media. I have every single piece of pre-recorded video media on every format catalogued on it (spent some time cataloguing the stuff that had been in the old unit before). That makes it easy to verify I have or don't have something, and has kept me from buying a second copy of something I already have. I found that I had a second copy of a VHS movie in storage so I tossed the extra, put it out by a dumpster for someone else to find and do what I would do with it.
Old 01-28-22, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,614 Likes on 1,064 Posts

Originally Posted by Paff View Post
One thing I see in there is a multi-platter system for 35mm film. For those who never worked projection, that allows you to keep two fully assembled prints on the platters, with one empty one that takes up the film currently being shown.

In other words, a commercial movie theater system, not something you're likely to use at home. Ever.
Not knowing exactly what one looked like I googled some images of Christie mult-platter projectors to see if one would look cool set up in the corner of my movie room as a display piece.

Nope. They look like ugly, giant teal furnaces with big round trays on them. What a waste of space.
Old 01-28-22, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 529 Likes on 372 Posts

Turf Talk is on YouTube. Who wants to volunteer to watch and see if there are any funny crowd shots? Post your report here. Since Alan was definitely going to watch that tape and not just let it rot in storage, you'll be saving him 55 minutes down the road he can devote to cleaning up.
Obi-Wanma (01-28-22)
Old 01-28-22, 03:45 PM

Also, does anyone else see the irony in Alan constantly slagging sports as a waste of time/money and a dumb hobby when he's probably the only one here with a stack of old sports VHS tapes? Sports VHS tapes that he's paying to store no less.

Sorry Alan, I've long thought this thread to be kind of mean spirited and much of the criticism boiling down to "the things you like are stupid", but this is just completely nonsensical.
Old 01-28-22, 04:11 PM

Well in this case I'm not preserving sports so much as I'm preserving pre-recorded video. I forgot how many of those tapes were out there; you don't really see a lot of that stuff out now. I didn't pay a cent for them, and I'm not paying specifically to store these either, if they weren't there then there's just be an empty space the same size. It's when the storage unit completely fills up I'll have to really start thinking about getting rid of stuff. Besides, someone commented on YouTube:

"I can't believe there aren't any reactions to this video, such a travesty. If I was computer literate, I would make a reaction to this video because it needs to be passed down to younger generations!!!"

And how DARE you call the color of the platter tree "teal"- every professional knows the proper term is Christie Green!
GoldenJCJ (01-28-22)
Old 01-28-22, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 736 Likes on 468 Posts

I'm curious if the time spent cataloguing old sports tapes that might have a funny audience shot would have been better spent cleaning up your apartment?

Old 01-28-22, 04:15 PM

The stuff in the first storage unit was brought in rather hastily just to get it out of the apartment, right now I have enough time to go over stuff- and besides, I can actually weed out stuff along the way.
Old 01-28-22, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Out of everything, what still gets me most is that Alan rewinds at the start of every CD so he can hear the few seconds of (almost always) silence before the first track starts. Not doing so would mean he hadn't actually heard the CD. That really put my very minor OCD compulsions into perspective for me and illustrated just how far down the "every media must be played and is precious" rabbit hole Alan is.
Alan Smithee (01-28-22)
Old 01-28-22, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 685 Likes on 529 Posts

Originally Posted by T-bone22 View Post
Now for the apartment pics….

I thought that was the apartment....
DeanoBKN (01-28-22)
Old 01-28-22, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well in this case I'm not preserving sports so much as I'm preserving pre-recorded video. I forgot how many of those tapes were out there; you don't really see a lot of that stuff out now. I didn't pay a cent for them, and I'm not paying specifically to store these either, if they weren't there then there's just be an empty space the same size. It's when the storage unit completely fills up I'll have to really start thinking about getting rid of stuff. Besides, someone commented on YouTube:

"I can't believe there aren't any reactions to this video, such a travesty. If I was computer literate, I would make a reaction to this video because it needs to be passed down to younger generations!!!"

And how DARE you call the color of the platter tree "teal"- every professional knows the proper term is Christie Green!
So, you look down on people who are just sports fans in general. How about if someone were a sports fan who did nothing but collect pre-recorded sports stuff? Then they are suddenly elevated or something? Is there any pre-recorded content that you feel isn't worth preserving?

Honestly, that comment sounds like spam. The person is computer literate enough to leave a comment but not a reaction? That makes as much sense as saving a video on the chance there might be an amusing crowd shot. The zero reactions sounds more correct.
Old 01-28-22, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
I thought that was the apartment....
No, too much available space.
Old 01-28-22, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by JasonX View Post
Out of everything, what still gets me most is that Alan rewinds at the start of every CD so he can hear the few seconds of (almost always) silence before the first track starts. Not doing so would mean he hadn't actually heard the CD. That really put my very minor OCD compulsions into perspective for me and illustrated just how far down the "every media must be played and is precious" rabbit hole Alan is.
I thought this was my friend "Movie Watcher" posting but I don't know who you are- how did you remember that? I don't even remember posting that but I wouldn't be surprised if I did. I don't buy a lot of CDs anymore but I still do that without even thinking about it. Admittedly I've gone to the Dark Side and gotten Apple Music, which has a ton of music in Atmos that isn't available on disc.
Old 01-28-22, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,614 Likes on 1,064 Posts

Well in this case I'm not preserving sports so much as I'm preserving pre-recorded video. I forgot how many of those tapes were out there; you don't really see a lot of that stuff out now. I didn't pay a cent for them, and I'm not paying specifically to store these either, if they weren't there then there's just be an empty space the same size. It's when the storage unit completely fills up I'll have to really start thinking about getting rid of stuff.
You’re so close to getting it. Now imagine if none of those useless VHS tapes were there. What would that empty space look like?
emanon (01-28-22)
Old 01-28-22, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

Well in this case I'm not preserving sports so much as I'm preserving pre-recorded video.
Not preserving Rembrandts, preserving every doodle ever made.
IBJoel (02-02-22)
Old 01-28-22, 05:39 PM

I love those old NFL films tapes. But the fact is that tape in on YouTube, so you don't need it. And that Hakeem Olajuwon tape is on YouTube AND an official DVD. I'd be stunned if the rest of those nba tapes weren't also on DVD.

I'm totally for you preserving that stuff, but at the rate you go, you'll never actually get around to it.
Old 01-28-22, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 206 Likes on 147 Posts

Went to a junk store today and there were 6 boxes of movies and tv shows burned onto disc.

And free!

Of course made me think of this thread
Spoiler:

Old 01-28-22, 06:12 PM

I wouldn't take those since they're copies, especially if they're not complete bit-for-bit copies. Almost looks like my handwriting on them though.
Old 01-28-22, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Received 723 Likes on 499 Posts

I wouldn't take those since they're copies, especially if they're not complete bit-for-bit copies. Almost looks like my handwriting on them though.
The pre-recorded DVDs are coming from inside the house! 😳
The following 3 users liked this post by Kurt D:
DeanoBKN (01-28-22), Norm de Plume (01-28-22), Why So Blu? (01-28-22)
Old 01-28-22, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 607 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ View Post
Not knowing exactly what one looked like I googled some images of Christie mult-platter projectors to see if one would look cool set up in the corner of my movie room as a display piece.

Nope. They look like ugly, giant teal furnaces with big round trays on them. What a waste of space.

Yeah, the platters take up at least 2-3x more space than the projector!!

It is fascinating watching them in action though. In this photo, the film is on the middle platter, and being pulled from the center. Then it's fed up and over, into the projector, then taken up by the top platter. By feeding from the center, it doesn't need to be "rewound" like the old 16mm projectors we had in school, it's ready for the next showing. The spare platter (bottom) can hold another film if it's a double feature, or if the theater is alternating movies.

But you can see all this in YouTube videos. While it would indeed be nice if Alan's system could go to another theater, the amount of theaters showing movies on film is decreasing regularly. A shame, no doubt, but them's the facts. If I were Alan, I'd post that thing up on some for sale sites, expect to have it posted for at least a year, and be thankful if ANYONE was willing to buy it. If after a year, it would have to go to a scrap metal yard.
Old 01-28-22, 07:15 PM

While I certainly lament the loss of 35mm to a degree, when you see one of those in action you realize just how wrong it could all go. Of course theaters would rather just plug in a hard drive.
Old 01-28-22, 07:27 PM

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonX View Post
It's just like him watching the sides of laserdiscs that don't have anything on them other than the "this side is blank, turn the disc over" message with the picture of the turtle on its back. Those weren't intended to be watched. That's why it says to turn the disc over.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.