Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Landlords on my case about my cleanliness!

Other Talk "Otterville"

Landlords on my case about my cleanliness!

Old 04-03-20, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts
Re: Landlords on my case about my cleanliness!

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee View Post
I beg to differ- a lot of those are overcompressed and look like video CD, which quality-wise was one of the worst formats in history. A bootleg upload is about the last resort to watching a movie in my book, second only to a cut for TV presentation.

My oldest VHS tapes are over 40 years old now and haven't degraded yet. It would be nice to collect all the trailers from movie tapes online somewhere, in high quality and comprehensively. There should at least be a master list of what trailers were on what tapes- some of the original Simpsons shorts were on the front of some Fox movie tapes also, though I don't have any of those.

Here's one I saved so you didn't have to, gotten from that girl I worked with:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOAVV32A06s

(YouTube is defaulting to 480 right now- you'll have to manually switch this to HD to see those scrolling words at the bottom in the proper frame rate!)
I agree entirely Alan. VHS in SP mode, on a high-quality tape is superior to a large amount of the overcompressed, artifact-ridden garbage that people upload to youtube these days. Everything you upload to youtube is compressed *again* by their awful algorithms. So, even if your original source is high quality, high bitrate, youtube recompresses it to shitty bitrate, with extremely low quality.

But, that's still NO excuse to keep all those VHS tapes. I'd say 75%, at least, of it has been released in higher quality formats over the years. And this, even taking into account that streaming isn't necessarly a higher quality than VHS. So, that means, de facto, that you may safely par down your VHS collection by > 70% and be losing nothing but the plastic and re-gaining a whole lot of control over your life by doing so.
Old 04-03-20, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 196 Likes on 130 Posts

This is what I picture Alan does in his apartment (except he's probably naked)... not that I imagine him naked:

The following users liked this post:
Why So Blu? (04-04-20)
Old 04-03-20, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 457 Likes on 326 Posts

Old 04-06-20, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 304 Likes on 225 Posts

Still have a ways to go before I can say I'm finished cleaning up, but the house is already looking so much better. The refrigerators are clear of old stuff. I've gone through the living room and bedroom, and I've even started work on my media room. Well, I call it my media room still, but a large section is now taken up by an indoor greenhouse, which was the cause of that room getting so cluttered in the first place. That room will take a bit of figuring, but hey, it looks like I'm going to have plenty of time at home this month to continue working on it. For the most part, I don't mind clutter, but even I will admit to feeling like I can breathe deeper. The place feels bigger, too.
Old 04-06-20, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 503 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by andicus View Post
They do look cool, although I can't help but notice there's not enough tape on the hubs to be the actual movie.

Of course, that's so they look better, but it still annoys me.
When I rented a VHS of The Running Man, it only had about a quarter of an inch tape on the hub. It was recorded in super long play, and the video looked awful. But it rewound in just a few seconds, so there was that.
Old 04-06-20, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 235 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
When I rented a VHS of The Running Man, it only had about a quarter of an inch tape on the hub. It was recorded in super long play, and the video looked awful. But it rewound in just a few seconds, so there was that.
Always a silver lining!
Old 04-06-20, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

In an attempt to get rid of some of the old things I've upgraded or received duplicates from prizes or subscription services, I decided to put some movies out on my front porch. I posted about it on my Facebook, which is not at all public and really is just friends. I figure it's a nice way to unload a few titles and hopefully give someone else a distraction.

Not sure how many people have come by because I said in my post I probably wouldn't be answering the door or taking visitors, but I can say for certain that at least three people have come by and taken some. Another couple of friends have texted that they're planning to come by. Maybe that could be a nice way of unloading a few DVDs and Blu-rays.

My hope is that I'll get a chance to go through and remove more things from my shelves and continue to add to the giveaway rack. No, I don't think everything will get picked up, but I'll be happy for anything that does.

Spoiler:

Last edited by clckworang; 04-06-20 at 05:52 PM.
Old 04-06-20, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 129 Likes on 104 Posts

I have done this a couple of times over last few weeks. I had a bunch of those bagged Knorr pasta and rice sides that I posted to anyone who wanted them ( I can’t eat them anymore) and then last week I had one of those clone video game systems I had never opened (Genesis with 80 games) and offered it to anyone who had kids at home bored during quarantine. I just left them out on my porch to anyone who texted me that they wanted them.
Old 04-06-20, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 121 Likes on 100 Posts

I see Shaun of the Dead in there- I just today put a burned copy of that in the breakroom at work amongst a bunch of books and crap there for someone else to grab. After I copied it I ended up winning a legit copy from Home Theater Forum along with the Blu-Ray of Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World, and also have it on HD-DVD so the burned disc had to go.
Old 04-07-20, 09:34 AM
bcd

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by clckworang View Post
In an attempt to get rid of some of the old things I've upgraded or received duplicates from prizes or subscription services, I decided to put some movies out on my front porch. I posted about it on my Facebook, which is not at all public and really is just friends. I figure it's a nice way to unload a few titles and hopefully give someone else a distraction.

Not sure how many people have come by because I said in my post I probably wouldn't be answering the door or taking visitors, but I can say for certain that at least three people have come by and taken some. Another couple of friends have texted that they're planning to come by. Maybe that could be a nice way of unloading a few DVDs and Blu-rays.

My hope is that I'll get a chance to go through and remove more things from my shelves and continue to add to the giveaway rack. No, I don't think everything will get picked up, but I'll be happy for anything that does.

Spoiler:

Holy Hell. I'd be all over DEATH BED: THE BED THAT EATS
Old 04-07-20, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

Hmm...I have a fair amount of family friendly dvds my parents gave me to give away to charity, sell, whatever, since I think we really will not go back to normal social interaction until at least the beginning of May (and even then a good chunk of us will be happy to social distance for a bit longer) I will put up a list of titles on CL and let folks know first come first served (and same as clckworang...no answering door, a contactless transaction is the way to go). I will let folks know my only update to the status of my DVD giveaway is to try and update the CL post as to whether or not someone is already on the way so people do not waste their time driving to my apt.

ETA: I just realized that clckworang's post will now have Alan going dude, give me your address so I can grab more stuff for my collect...I mean museum of stuff showing how people used to watch films/tv before you could simply mentally scroll through what you want to see and call it up to watch on the inside of your eyelids. LOL! I am having fun with you Alan...but seriously, resist the urge to ask for his location.
Old 04-07-20, 08:04 PM

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Before the virus, I used to donate my unwanted DVD's/CD's to either the local library or a local charity (Goodwill, etc.) - when they were still open. But, the idea of leaving this outside for others to take is a good one too.
Old 04-07-20, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 121 Likes on 100 Posts

Someone on one of the Facebook "free stuff" groups put out a box of VHS movies, needless to say they were mine. Some good action titles too that aren't common on any format.

I'd be more open to putting out stuff for people if I knew they would really appreciate it, but the more I see stuff misused by people the more I know it's best off with me

Just remembered a friend told me decades ago he lived in an apartment building that had the cable wired so that he could hook it to the output of his VCR and the neighbors upstairs could tune in and watch it, so he'd let them know what movies he was watching in case they wanted to see them.
Old 04-08-20, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd be more open to putting out stuff for people if I knew they would really appreciate it, but the more I see stuff misused by people the more I know it's best off with me
Stop doing that. It's the source of your problem.
Old 04-08-20, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 177 Likes on 107 Posts

That reminds me of a film called The Stupids with Tom Arnold. Each week, they would try to find out who was stealing their trash.
TheDude (04-09-20)
Old 04-08-20, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 196 Likes on 130 Posts

It's garbage, who cares if someone would appreciate it or not? It's not a child you're putting up for adoption - you should be more concerned with how this junk is treating you than how others are treating it.
Old 04-08-20, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 885 Likes on 614 Posts

Bro, we’ve all seen your apartment. We know how you treat that stuff. “Other people” aren’t the only ones mistreating that crap.
Old 04-08-20, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 475 Likes on 305 Posts

You know that "stuff" doesn't care where it is, right?
Old 04-08-20, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 313 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
excuse me, have you ever seen Toy Story?
Alan Smithee (04-08-20)
Old 04-08-20, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 361 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by Toddarino View Post
excuse me, have you ever seen Toy Story?
Only on VHS, because it was the third-to-last VHS release Disney ever put out. Do you have any idea how rare that is?
Old 04-08-20, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

Someone on one of the Facebook "free stuff" groups put out a box of VHS movies, needless to say they were mine. Some good action titles too that aren't common on any format.

Just remembered a friend told me decades ago he lived in an apartment building that had the cable wired so that he could hook it to the output of his VCR and the neighbors upstairs could tune in and watch it, so he'd let them know what movies he was watching in case they wanted to see them.
Bro, do you mean you are concerned with how people will display and take care-of the DVD/Blu Rays you will give away? If they display the items you give them like in the pic below you have nothing to worry about so I say go for it...put a bunch of stuff outside your door so people can just come by and pick up what they want:

Old 04-08-20, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

And you're still picking up more VHS tapes.

Here's the thing, Alan. Some people might not appreciate them, but others will. Presumably, these are things that you have upgraded or have duplicates or don't like, so why does it matter? I think the better way to look at things is that some people will appreciate the gesture and you have less trash in your apartment. Yes, I did say trash because that's how much of it seems to be treated at your place.
Old 04-08-20, 06:49 PM

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
No, he doesn't know that.
Old 04-09-20, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 361 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by clckworang View Post
And you're still picking up more VHS tapes.
A key distinction is not just that he's picking them up, he's actively seeking them out. It's one thing if you're walking home and there's a box on the street (although as a hoarder you should try to demonstrate willpower and just walk on by), but he said he was looking at the "free stuff" on Facebook.

So let's hear about this amazing treasure trove of VHS tapes that apparently this idiot on Facebook was too dumb to look up how valuable they are. (BTW, my guess is that the "Facebook idiot" did look them up, saw they weren't worth the amount of time it would take to resell, and just put 'em out for free...but Alan is free to plead his case. I'm listening)
Old 04-09-20, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 323 Likes on 188 Posts

Distribute that stuff NOW. If you die without a will*, it's all going in the dump. Nobody will even look at it, they'll just haul it away. Save it now, by giving it to anyone who wants it.

*Even if you do will these things to someone, the odds are, they aren't going to want to sort it. All to the dump. Boom.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mrs. Danger:
spainlinx0 (04-10-20), TheDude (04-09-20)

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.