Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Landlords on my case about my cleanliness!

Old 09-11-19, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Landlords on my case about my cleanliness!

Originally Posted by stingermck View Post
Same here
ditto.
Old 09-11-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I remember LaserDiscs but I never heard of CEDs.
Old 09-11-19, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by T-bone22 View Post
Have we ever seen pics of the bathroom? I wonder if there are piles of CED on the sink and on top of the toilet.
Trust me, you do NOT want to see the bathroom. If you think his cleaning skills are lacking in the living room, well....
Old 09-11-19, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

There also have to be a strong stench smell of cat urine in that apartment that looks like a landfill. No way in hell it smells good in that joint full of dust and cat do-do and piss.

Anyways on a positive note I spent 3hrs today cleaning my home. I kept thinking about Alan and this thread and I kept yelling "Hallelujah" the freedom to breathe in clean air and having all my items squeaky clean.
Old 09-11-19, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Sonic View Post
There also have to be a strong stench smell of cat urine in that apartment that looks like a landfill. No way in hell it smells good in that joint full of dust and cat do-do and piss.
I'm far from the best housekeeper on the planet, and my place is kinda messy right now. But I've had people come over, and when they see the bowl of cat food in the kitchen they ask "Wait, you have a cat?"
So clearly my place does not smell of cat. That's one thing I got going for me.
Old 09-11-19, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Paff View Post
I'm far from the best housekeeper on the planet, and my place is kinda messy right now. But I've had people come over, and when they see the bowl of cat food in the kitchen they ask "Wait, you have a cat?"
So clearly my place does not smell of cat. That's one thing I got going for me.
That's great. It seems you up to par with having the litter clean on occasion.

But for those owners that abandon much of the care, that cat urine is no joke. One of the worst offending smells there is in a home.
Old 09-11-19, 07:28 PM

Here it is Technology Connections finally made a video of the incredibly flawed CED.
"The CED its simultaneously a technical marvel and technical monstrosity"

And i believe this is all you need to know about this format and this is also how you teach future generations
you dont need a room with hundreds of discs that nobody has access to anyways
" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen>

Last edited by nando820; 09-11-19 at 08:29 PM.
Old 09-12-19, 12:05 AM

I didnít get a response from Alan, but I do believe that he has a complete CED collection, meaning every title released, as well as rare in-store demo discs and the like. Am I wrong about this, Alan?
Iím fascinated with CED and have a player. Used to have a lot of titles but threw most out - they are really heavy, and a lot of the ones you find donít work. But I think thereís something pretty cool about having a complete collection, provided you have the space.
And if it isnít complete: yeah, uh, toss that shit and keep just a few.
Old 09-12-19, 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by DaveNinja View Post
I used to have a ton of CEDs because they were cool because people didnt know what they were and I could get them for cheap. After having to move them once and realizing I never watched them since the picture quality sucked, I got rid of all but my favorite 2 or 3. I have not regretted this decision.

Pick your favorite 10-20 pieces of each media and crate them up in case you do get evicted. and if you don't get evicted, it might make it easier to get rid of the rest of the stuff.
Alan: This is an example of how "normal people" collect outdated formats. Keep the rare, unusual, and/or expensive items, plus a few favorites (maybe you like the movie or the artwork), and get rid of the rest.

Old 09-12-19, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by skywalker8 View Post
I didnít get a response from Alan, but I do believe that he has a complete CED collection, meaning every title released, as well as rare in-store demo discs and the like. Am I wrong about this, Alan?
Iím fascinated with CED and have a player. Used to have a lot of titles but threw most out - they are really heavy, and a lot of the ones you find donít work. But I think thereís something pretty cool about having a complete collection, provided you have the space.
And if it isnít complete: yeah, uh, toss that shit and keep just a few.
I don't believe he does have a complete set. I think he's mentioned that there are some pretty rare in-store demo discs that he doesn't have. But I could be wrong.

The thing about the CEDs (and one the things that the Techmoan video about them pointed out) is that the format is unreliable and the quality is lacking on the discs that you are able to play. It's an interesting novelty, but it's the thing that would take up a small corner in a museum of media formats. Not something that should overtake an apartment.

This thread did lead me to selling the 1 CED I had picked up years ago as a novelty. It was a Duran Duran videodisc, and it took up space and I had no way of playing it. I think I had it so I had something interesting to get signed back when I was able to stalk musicians and try to collect autographs, but at this point I'd rather get a record signed since I can actually play that disc.
Old 09-12-19, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Add me to the list of people who had no idea what CED was before this thread.
Old 09-12-19, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yes, Alan has said that he has a complete CED collection because he mentioned it was an easy format to collect since so few movies came out on it. Add me to the list of people who also had no idea that CED's existed before this thread. I literally had never heard of one or seen one before and I feel that had I continued not knowing that they existed I still would not care. Hate to say this, but Alan seems like a drug addict who doesnt really want to change but is hoping that he can "get clean" fast enough to pass a drug test and then go back to doing drugs once he is in the clear. I also don't think that seeing someone for his problem will do anything either. From what moviewatcher said, he always gets advice from other people about what to do but always ignores it, because he doesnt want to follow it. And if he does get evicted, he will probably just load up his parents house with all of his apartment junk, or just rent out another storage unit. So I am not sure what the answer is.
Old 09-12-19, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Dimension X View Post
Alan: This is an example of how "normal people" collect outdated formats. Keep the rare, unusual, and/or expensive items, plus a few favorites (maybe you like the movie or the artwork), and get rid of the rest.
But see, to him, it's ALL rare/unusual/expensive/favorite - he is far too incapacitated to make any sort of objective value call on his collection.
Old 09-12-19, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I guess I'm one of the few that heard of CEDs. Also heard that they were junk and not to waste any money on them.
Old 09-12-19, 11:17 AM

Where are these media museums at? Who, besides Alan would pay to look at a CED player behind a velvet rope? It's no different than hoarding Pez dispensers or Coke bottles. They are mass-produced items that quickly failed consumer needs and better versions replaced them. There is no need to cherish old trash.
Old 09-12-19, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I've known about CEDs since I was a kid, unfortunately because my father had the brilliant idea of buying one of those players instead of a VCR back around 1981 or so. Luckily he quickly realized what a crap format it was, so he traded it back in and got a VCR (yes!). After that childhood trauma, I never want to see one of those stupid discs again.

I spent over three hours clearing stuff out of the basement yesterday, and filled several garbage bags full of crap. This included a bunch of VHS tapes, I checked them on ebay and kept aside anything that sells for ten bucks or more so I can sell them, anything that went for less isn't worth my time and went straight into the garbage. Sorry Alan.
Old 09-12-19, 11:53 AM
Admin-Thanos

Ok I just read up on what CEDs were. Yikes they really were an inferior product and not worth the time.
Old 09-12-19, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

There were quite a few CEDs released:

https://www.cedmagic.com/v-title-dat...ed-titles.html

Looking at that list, there's actually a pretty good selection of classic films from the 80s and earlier.

It might be kind of cool to have a player and a small collection of CEDs of movies I really love like Alien, Blade Runner, Star Wars Trilogy, 2001, The Thing (both versions), and maybe a few others. Probably not more than three or four dozen discs.

And I really love the artwork on the CED of The Thing. If I found one in mint condition, I think I'd buy it just because it looks cool.

Old 09-12-19, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Let's get back on topic. With all this nostalgic talk about piece of shit CEDs, Alan will get the impression that they matter, because some forum members think they're neat. If Alan's apartment didn't look like a landfill then perhaps CED's would be neat.
Old 09-12-19, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
Let's get back on topic. With all this nostalgic talk about piece of shit CEDs, Alan will get the impression that they matter, because some forum members think they're neat. If Alan's apartment didn't look like a landfill then perhaps CED's would be neat.
That's been my issue here for a while. We're to believe this is some sort of media museum, but there's cat litter dust all over everything. Nothing there is treated like prized possessions.
Old 09-12-19, 02:44 PM

It's a museum in the same way that a garbage dump is: old stuff people used to use thrown in random piles.
Old 09-12-19, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
Heh, I'm trying to be the voice of reason at least. CEDs suuuuck, they always have and they always will. It's a shit format put out by a shitty company, and they deserve to be forgotten.
Old 09-12-19, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
But see, to him, it's ALL rare/unusual/expensive/favorite - he is far too incapacitated to make any sort of objective value call on his collection.
You're right. What was I thinking? Of course he'll just say that Jane Fonda workout video for pregnant women (or any other CED) was the first time it appeared on CED, making it "historically important," so he has to keep it, so it will be preserved (in catshit) for the ages.
Old 09-12-19, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You're right. What was I thinking? Of course he'll just say that Jane Fonda workout video for pregnant women (or any other CED) was the first time it appeared on CED, making it "historically important," so he has to keep it, so it will be preserved (in catshit) for the ages.
I'm guessing Jane Fonda threw out all her copies--in all formats--years ago. Oh wait, I shouldn't say that. Now Alan will think his copy is even rarer.
Old 09-13-19, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Modern day amber.

Search this Thread
Show Printable Version
Email this Page

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.