Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Landlords on my case about my cleanliness!

Old 09-11-19, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Landlords on my case about my cleanliness!

And the word with people who've actually been here is that if they wanted to evict me or saw anything as an immediate hazard, they would have already done it.
Not really. At least not according to the thread and its origins. You had that one inspection done 5 years ago, I think, and now you had a more in-depth inspection with the manager and assistant manager, and even the employee that wanted to check under the sink visually (and firsthand) inspect your apartment. The gloves are off and they have already documented the apartment and its contents. The next bit of news you get will be of the, "You have 30-days to vacate the premises" type.

What will you do if you get evicted and how do you feel about the potential of getting evicted? You've yet to answer that question.
Old 09-11-19, 01:47 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Coral View Post
Not that I would have any desire to own an arcade machine, but it could work out well in an apartment - just a much larger sized apartment... somewhere it has enough room to breathe.
They don't take up a monstrous amount of space, but in this apartment with all that stuff around - that space is very valuable.
You need to live in a loft space to enjoy a full size arcade cabinet.
Old 09-11-19, 02:37 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

What will you do if you get evicted and how do you feel about the potential of getting evicted? You've yet to answer that question.
OK, if you really want to know I'm terrified at that possibility. That's why I'm getting help for my "problem". I honestly don't know exactly what I would do if I were evicted and am just hoping it won't come to that. I would seek further help immediately (certainly not from anybody on this forum!) if it did.

Re-tracing the interaction I've had with management since this thread was started, I had one warning six years ago brought on after a new air conditioning system was installed (I had lived here 11 years with one that barely worked at all until then.) Management never came in here then and I was never spoken to about any problems, but was given a written notice apparently based on what the maintenance people had said to them. (They could have just told me at the time what was wrong, or at least warned me that they were going to report it to the management and I should do something about it.) I had thought that was their "revenge" for having to install the system, but I went right to them and asked what needed to be done, and the then-manager was fine when she checked it a few weeks later. When I posted this thread it was about a year later, this time it was after a short visit from a maintenance person who needed to install a new safety outlet in the bathroom. Again, he said NOTHING to me about any problems, and the warning letter I got from management was only sent by email. I believe all of that was documented here- that time I emailed them back apologizing (I said I would even hire a weekly cleaning service if I needed to, basically anything to not be kicked out) but asked why the problem wasn't simply addressed to my face. They responded apologizing for the way I was warned and to simply try to keep my place up better; there was NO follow-up check from anybody after that. At least a year after that I was notified about an inspection, and I had several days to clean up for it (and yes, I should have already been keeping it clean enough to begin with.) That time, there were ZERO PROBLEMS. One manager simply came in and had a look around, and I just straight-out said to her that if there were any problems relating to my housekeeping or lack thereof to please just tell me right now, and she said "no, it's fine right now, I know you have a lot of stuff." (I believe I mentioned that here and also posted a current picture, after which one member here said they would have started the eviction process right away. I guess I'm glad I don't live where they do.) I thanked her and that was the last time anyone had come in here until last week. This time last year a paper notice was sent out about a similar inspection and I cleaned up in advance for that, but nobody EVER came by that time. I went on a ten-day road trip shortly after that and had the place organized enough for my friend to come by and take care of the cats while I was gone, but inevitably that also got messed up again, hence why I am finally seeking help.

When I first posted this thread, I (naively) didn't think landlords could have any say in what tenants did in this regard- basically as long as nothing illegal was happening behind closed doors and there were no rats or insects, things were fine. I've since learned that I was FAR wrong about that, learning about fire codes and things like that and of course also learning that I do in fact have a problem that needs to be fixed once and for all. I've deducted that I'm as stupid about housekeeping as some people are about A/V stuff- you can look at some people's setups and ask "How could you NOT see a problem there?" The cruel irony here is that applies to me in terms of housekeeping.
Old 09-11-19, 05:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee View Post
things are packed in efficiently for the time being.
You are delusional. Get rid of your stuff. get help.
Old 09-11-19, 05:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

You can’t “keep house” when everything in your house is in the way. You have way too much stuff. Mary Poppins couldn’t handle your housekeeping.
Old 09-11-19, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

This is from Alan's LinkedIn page;
Thanks for taking a look at my Linkedin page! I have a variety of work experience, most notably a total of ten years spent in the movie theater business mainly as a film projectionist and assistant manager. After leaving the theater business I went to work for Tower Records' headquarters in Sacramento. I have always loved media and would have liked to have advanced in that company, but unfortunately, its operations came to an end in 2006.

I soon realized that the accounting field would be a good fit for me, as I have always been extremely detail-oriented and good with numbers. I was motivated to return to school and pursue a degree, successfully graduating in December 2015 with a Bachelor's in Accounting.

I am currently willing to relocate virtually anywhere for the right position.

Experience

• Loan Officer

Small Business Adminstration

Nov 2017 – Apr 20186 months

Citrus Heights, CA

Assisted victims of Hurricane Maria in obtaining loans for property repair. Analyzed financial histories to determine eligibility.Assisted victims of Hurricane Maria in obtaining loans for property repair. Analyzed financial histories to determine eligibility.
  • Data Entry

Health Net

Mar 2017 – Jul 20175 months

Gold River, CA
  • Administrative Assistant

Radoslovich Parker, PC

Apr 2016 – Sep 20166 months

Sacramento, California Area

Assisting the Financial Controller, entering, scanning and filing billing documents, reconciling credit card statementsAssisting the Financial Controller, entering, scanning and filing billing documents, reconciling credit card statements
  • Accounting Volunteer

Sacramento Food Bank & Family Services

Jul 2015 – Apr 201610 months

Sacramento, California Area
  • Pre-biller

Wittman Enterprises, LLC

2008 – 20102 years

Entering ambulance billing information into proprietary softwareEntering ambulance billing information into proprietary software
  • Customer Care Representative

Tower Records

Sep 2001 – Mar 20075 years 7 months

West Sacramento, CA

Answered nation-wide customer phone calls, placing orders and giving product information, some maintenance of website dataAnswered nation-wide customer phone calls, placing orders and giving product information, some maintenance of website data
  • Projection Booth Manager

Regal Entertainment Group

Aug 2000 – Sep 20011 year 2 months

Sacramento, CA

All aspects of projection booth operation, including build-up and tear-down of films, presentation quality control, training and supervision of booth personnelAll aspects of projection booth operation, including build-up and tear-down of films, presentation quality control, training and supervision of booth personnel
  • Projectionist / Chief of Staff

Signature Theatres LLC

Jun 1991 – Sep 20009 years 4 months

Davis, CA

Wide range of duties, including projection booth operation (film presentation, build-up and tear-down), box office, concession, inventory of items, cash drops, supervision and assistance of staffWide range of duties, including projection booth operation (film presentation, build-up and tear-down), box office, concession, inventory of items, cash drops, supervision and assistance of staff

Education

• California State University-Sacramento

California State University-Sacramento

Bachelor’s DegreeAccounting

2012 – 2015

Activities and Societies: Accounting Society

Graduated with a Bachelor's Degree in Accounting, December 2015Graduated with Bachelor's Degree in Accounting, December 2015
  • Sacramento City College

Sacramento City College

Accounting and Business/Management

2009 – 2012

Volunteer Experience

• volunteer

volunteer

Happy Tails Pet Sanctuary

Jun 2012 – Aug 20123 months

Animal Welfare

Assisted with feeding of cats and general clean-up of "Catnip Gardens" area, an environment for feral and less sociable cats.Assisted with feeding of cats and general clean-up of "Catnip Gardens" area, an environment for feral and less sociable cats.

Languages

• English

Native or bilingual proficiency

• Spanish

Elementary proficiency

• I'm sorry, but his excuse for not cleaning because he is "on the spectrum of Autism" doesn't wash. He couldn't have done those jobs is he is incapable of even picking up trash off his floor. It's been nothing but excuses for five years. He says the maintenance people went to management rather than telling him to his face about the issues. Well, management told him. He received the message eventually, but would rather focus on the messenger than the message. I think he has gotten away with risking the lives of his cats and neighbors for eleven years and that will end soon. I predict he will be living at his parents' house this time next month, and the management company will dispose of his hoard within the legal minimum time after he is locked out of his apartment. It's too late to start buying shelves and moving piles around.
Old 09-11-19, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Max Bottomtime View Post
I'm sorry, but his excuse for not cleaning because he is "on the spectrum of Autism" doesn't wash. He couldn't have done those jobs is he is incapable of even picking up trash off his floor. It's been nothing but excuses for five years. He says the maintenance people went to management rather than telling him to his face about the issues. Well, management told him. He received the message eventually, but would rather focus on the messenger than the message. I think he has gotten away with risking the lives of his cats and neighbors for eleven years and that will end soon. I predict he will be living at his parents' house this time next month, and the management company will dispose of his hoard within the legal minimum time after he is locked out of his apartment. It's too late to start buying shelves and moving piles around.
No disrespect but you clearly have no idea how Autism can effect different people. Your comment is 100% incorrect.
Old 09-11-19, 10:40 AM

Examples of unusual interests and behaviors related to ASD:
  • Lines up toys or other objects
  • Plays with toys the same way every time
  • Likes parts of objects (e.g., wheels)
  • Is very organized
  • Gets upset by minor changes
  • Has obsessive interests He is definitely obsessive, but I haven't found any behaviors like piling up trash until you can't walk in your own apartment one of them. Perhaps you know of a book or website that lists that behavior.
Old 09-11-19, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by VinVega View Post
It's not about quality, it's about nostalgia. It's a luxury he can't afford at this point. Keep a roof over your head.
The irony is that his nostalgia for CEDs could wind up making him nostalgic for the time he had a place to live.

Went back over the last 10 pages of this thread and seeing the pictures/videos/etc. of hoarders and messy places pushed me to tidy up a little around my house.
I don't have a lot of stuff in my house, and very little is out of place... but I still felt compelled to clean up a bit. It got me a little paranoid and made me feel icky.
Old 09-11-19, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

OK, if you really want to know I'm terrified at that possibility. That's why I'm getting help for my "problem". I honestly don't know exactly what I would do if I were evicted and am just hoping it won't come to that. I would seek further help immediately (certainly not from anybody on this forum!) if it did.
Well, at least you're honest, but when you put the word problem in quotations it means that you don't think you have the problem. It's a like drug addict or alcoholic -- they also don't think they have a problem. There has to be an acceptance component from your end. You need to accept (deep down in your soul) that you do indeed have a problem. This, of course, has already been suggested in the past pages -- going on 5 years now.
Old 09-11-19, 11:50 AM

^ You're right about that. I've mentioned before that my dad had a substance abuse issue, he'd go to rehab, and relapse literally the first day back because in his mind his "problem" was that he was not managing the substance abuse properly. He just needed to "cut back".

It was only when he fully embraced 100% sobriety that he got on with his life. Alan needs to have that same realization, and I don't see it yet.
Old 09-11-19, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Are you really over by T and 24th?

Probably not the right place for this, but I found the remote to that region free JVC DVD player I gave you.

If you get evicted, I'll take that DK jr cabinet off your hands (unless it smells like cat pee). I still have some Nintendo boards that I could use with it.

I used to have a ton of CEDs because they were cool because people didnt know what they were and I could get them for cheap. After having to move them once and realizing I never watched them since the picture quality sucked, I got rid of all but my favorite 2 or 3. I have not regretted this decision.

Pick your favorite 10-20 pieces of each media and crate them up in case you do get evicted. and if you don't get evicted, it might make it easier to get rid of the rest of the stuff.
Old 09-11-19, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
No disrespect but you clearly have no idea how Autism can effect different people. Your comment is 100% incorrect.
Yeah, that's why it's called a "spectrum". There are many, many ways it can manifest itself, everybody is different. Someone on the spectrum may be able to hold down a job but struggle with keeping their living quarters in any kind of order (like Alan), I personally know a couple of people like this.

Went back over the last 10 pages of this thread and seeing the pictures/videos/etc. of hoarders and messy places pushed me to tidy up a little around my house.
I don't have a lot of stuff in my house, and very little is out of place... but I still felt compelled to clean up a bit. It got me a little paranoid and made me feel icky.
Heh, me too. Our house isn't bad at all, other than the laundry room/storage area in our basement, and the wife and I have been in there throwing away shit all week, and that's how I'll be spending much of today. Tomorrow I'm taking five big boxes of books/CDs/DVDs to a local women's shelter charity that has a big book sale every year.

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
Well, at least you're honest, but when you put the word problem in quotations it means that you don't think you have the problem.
Yeah, that jumped out at me too. Alan, it is a problem, not a "problem", I hope you realize that.

Old 09-11-19, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee View Post

My mom has been thinking about re-doing the shelves in here, which will at least store the movies a bit more efficiently. I wasn't hot on doing that as I was hoping I'd be moving out, but under the circumstances it seems to be a good idea plus if anyone checks up
on the place they'll see I'm really putting effort into it.
You're not. That's the point.
Old 09-11-19, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, at this point they don't want effort, they want results.
Old 09-11-19, 01:09 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

I watched the Technology Connections video on CEDs yesterday. You know what I learned? It's a fucking terrible garbage format that never should have existed but RCA was too full of themselves to let it die in engineering as it should have, instead of pushing it to market 10 to 20 years too late.

And I'm sure a comment like that just drives Alan to love it even more.

Old 09-11-19, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dan View Post
I watched the Technology Connections video on CEDs yesterday. You know what I learned? It's a fucking terrible garbage format that never should have existed but RCA was too full of themselves to let it die in engineering as it should have, instead of pushing it to market 10 to 20 years too late.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnpX8d8zRIA
I definitely get the nostalgia factor with CEDs. I remember seeing them in audio/video shops back in the day and thought it was weird that these big things had movies on them.
I loved seeing the films artwork presented in a large package. I think that's what makes kind of cool today - almost in the same way vinyl is cool partially due to the artwork.

I hope I didn't help Alan in deciding to keep them though.
Old 09-11-19, 02:23 PM

I can see the value of keeping ONE CED around (Sure, go with Splash, why not) as a curiosity factor, but a library, along with a player? That's dumb.

It's like the DIVX format that came out at the same time as DVD, where the discs were meant to be disposable "rentals" as they were rendered unplayable after 48 hours. As a token, I bought one of the discs. Of course, the movie I bought was 48 Hrs...
Old 09-11-19, 02:30 PM
Political Exile

Originally Posted by Max Bottomtime View Post
Examples of unusual interests and behaviors related to ASD:
  • Lines up toys or other objects
  • Plays with toys the same way every time
  • Likes parts of objects (e.g., wheels)
  • Is very organized
  • Gets upset by minor changes
  • Has obsessive interests He is definitely obsessive, but I haven't found any behaviors like piling up trash until you can't walk in your own apartment one of them. Perhaps you know of a book or website that lists that behavior.

Hoarding used to be classified as a subset of obsessive compulsive disorder, but it now has its own category. Hoarding has always been completely separate from autism.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compulsive_hoarding
Old 09-11-19, 02:34 PM
Political Exile

My only real issue in this area is dusting. My rationale for not dusting very often is that it's just going to come back anyway. But in the last few days, I have been doing quite a bit of dusting.
Old 09-11-19, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dan View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnpX8d8zRIA
Until this thread, I never even heard of CEDs.
Old 09-11-19, 03:09 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

^ Probably because there's not much of an anime selection on the format.
Old 09-11-19, 03:13 PM
Admin-Thanos

Originally Posted by grundle View Post
My only real issue in this area is dusting. My rationale for not dusting very often is that it's just going to come back anyway. But in the last few days, I have been doing quite a bit of dusting.
And probably a lot of stuffed up nose or sneezing as a result.
Old 09-11-19, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum View Post
Until this thread, I never even heard of CEDs.
Same here
Old 09-11-19, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Have we ever seen pics of the bathroom? I wonder if there are piles of CED on the sink and on top of the toilet.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.