Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Landlords on my case about my cleanliness!

Old 01-22-19, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Landlords on my case about my cleanliness!

Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
Puttng your remote controls in ziploc bags is one of the most fucked-up, anal retentive things I've ever heard about anyone doing - but, it still doesn't surprise me. Coming to this thread is always good for some entertainment - LOL.
Iíve never seen someone put remotes in ziplock bags but I have known people who keep the remotes in those little plastic bags that they come in from the factory.

While i wouldnít do it, I can understand why someone would. Arenít remotes one of the filthier things in peopleís homes? Iím sure itís easier to wipe a bag down than trying to get in between all those buttons.
Old 01-23-19, 02:24 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Nice video, but I can see a few edits in it showing that it wasn't all done at one time- it looks like she also stopped to look through the books and stuff. Then they ruined the clean room with that Christmas tree at the end too.
Old 01-23-19, 08:30 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

At one point I saved all my old remotes in a little drawer; a sort of time capsule of the family’s media history. The first one has a cord even. Think I finally threw them away, although they could still be in storage.
Old 01-23-19, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Until my parents died, they still had most of their remotes. By remotes, I mean their kids. We had to get up and change the channel for my Dad all the time.
Old 01-23-19, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Putting your remote controls in ziploc bags is one of the most fucked-up, anal retentive things I've ever heard about anyone doing - but, it still doesn't surprise me.
In all seriousness, have you ever noticed how much dust and schmutz gets into the manifold crevices of remotes? They're very difficult to clean, and seeing little particles of who-knows-what in the cracks drives me nuts. I have taken to leaving my remotes lying upside-down when not in use, and it works brilliantly.
Old 01-24-19, 08:34 AM

^ never thought of that. You learn something new everyday on this thread
Old 01-24-19, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Everyone except the OP is finding ways to improve their lives by reading this thread.
Old 01-24-19, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
At one point I saved all my old remotes in a little drawer; a sort of time capsule of the family’s media history. The first one has a cord even. Think I finally threw them away, although they could still be in storage.
Those are the kind of items where taking a (digital) picture would've been a great idea. Perhaps a nicely organized group photo of the whole collection, something to trigger a good memory once in a while without having the actual stuff laying around OR in storage. I started doing that unwittingly over a decade ago when for a couple of years circa 2004-2006 I unloaded a then-young lifetime of vintage stuff on eBay in anticipation of moving to Toronto, and in the era when others from my generation were actively bidding top dollar to ADD my collectibles n' crap to their collectibles n' crap. More power to 'em, I thought. It's not as profitable nowadays, so I'm glad I took advantage when I did -- made some serious coin. However, I always took nice pictures (usually against a solid backdrop) for my auctions and when they ended, kept them on my laptop. Later they migrated to other devices (iPod, iPhone and the cloud as backup) where they've been joined in the past year or two by a couple thousand more snapshots of things I've set free via Kijiji, or selling to used book/music/movie shops, or donations to wherever. Never had the Alan disease, but I've certainly had a couple of spacious apartments over the years with an abundance of in-unit storage that I rather too happily took advantage of with totes to keep my "stuff" tidy and with me. Nice to look at it now when nostalgia hits without actually owning so much of it anymore. Still streamlining like others here, of course, but seeing friends' full-sized houses filled with even greater accumulations of things they don't need reminds me that I made the right decision decades ago to not join their ranks.
Old 01-24-19, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
I went to a few storage unit auctions. One item was a box of empty toilet paper rolls. Some poor soul was paying storage fees to keep his empty toilet paper rolls.
Now, this is even more fucked-up than putting remotes in plastic bags - and, I will never be convinced that's a good idea, either. But, empty toilet paper rolls? These should go in recycling, not storage. People really waste a lot of money paying for unneeded storage units, but that's no surprise.

Last edited by TheDude; 01-24-19 at 12:48 PM.
Old 01-24-19, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well there is obviously some mental illness involved there. Not quite as bad as saving one's urine in jars, but it's still not good at all.
Old 01-24-19, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Now, this is even more fucked-up than putting remotes in plastic bags - and, I will never be convinced that's a good idea, either. But, empty toilet paper rolls? These should go in recycling, not storage.People really waste a lot of money paying for unneeded storage units, but that's no surprise.
The deuce you say!
Old 01-24-19, 10:51 PM

Small update- my toaster quit working so I got a new one. Taking the old one out, I also wiped down the counter area it was on, and throwing out a bunch of receipts and other outdated papers that were around it. So at least now that corner is nice and clean.
Old 01-25-19, 12:10 AM

You had a bunch of old paper around your toaster? Have the Fire Department on standby. Do your neighbors realize the fire trap they live around?
Old 01-25-19, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, good God, you don’t keep your toaster sitting on a pile of kindling. I mean, it’s probably not going to start a fire, but it’s not worth the risk.

Alan’s place looks like a firetrap, anyway. If an extension cord or power strip that’s buried under a pile of flammable stuff overheats and catches on fire, it’s going to make the evening news.

With all of the electronics he probably has — tvs, projectors, players, computers, amps — overloading outlets and circuits seems like a legitimate concern.
Old 01-25-19, 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by Max Bottomtime View Post
You had a bunch of old paper around your toaster? Have the Fire Department on standby. Do your neighbors realize the fire trap they live around?
Agree with this. Even if you don't care about yourself, think about the surrounding neighbors in the apartments around you. At the least, make sure that the possibilities of having a fire are eliminated - or at least minimized. Clear off as many piles of papers floating around, and put all relevant papers in one place (a box, etc.)

I would also be concerned about the wiring/plugs re: the various home video devices - I've also mentioned this in a previous post.

This is not the same thing, but years ago on the news - there was a story about a neighboring community in which a resident there was doing some unauthorized welding work in his apartment. He accidentally caught the wall on fire, and it spread to other apartments & caused an incredible amount of damage before it was extinguished.

Obviously, these types of things are usually preventable.
Old 01-25-19, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee View Post
Small update- my toaster quit working so I got a new one. Taking the old one out, I also wiped down the counter area it was on, and throwing out a bunch of receipts and other outdated papers that were around it. So at least now that corner is nice and clean.
Do you get a sense of satisfaction from that? I sure would. You should keep it rolling. Focus on the kitchen for a while, a little bit every day, until it's all nice and clean. Then move on to the next room.
Old 01-25-19, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Post a pic of the area that's been cleaned.
Old 01-25-19, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

He'd have to move the cat, it finally has a place to sleep.
Old 01-25-19, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Next to the warm toaster.
Old 01-28-19, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've been doing a lot of cleaning up these last few weekends. My place had become really cluttered. But I'm the type who keeps the floor clear and will use the dining room table or kitchen counter to leave things (away from any fire hazards).

So far, I've tackled the kitchen, dining room, living room and spare rooms. There's still some work to be done, especially in the spare rooms that I eventually want to convert into a viewing room, but it has come a long way.

Yesterday, I decided to tackle my bedroom closet, something I'm not sure if I've ever fully done. Yes, things have been removed over the years, but there were a lot of things that probably had been hanging there for more than a decade. I just needed to force myself to do it. I got rid of so much clothes. I couldn't believe just how much. You really have a great feeling of satisfaction when you're done. Now that my closet isn't so stuffed, I was able to organize things a bit more. It was so easy looking through my available work clothes this morning. Simple to flip through, see everything I have and even better knowing any of those things hanging in there will fit me well.

Next up will be the drawers. I already went through a couple, but my sock drawer has become a real mess It will be a pain to go through that, but I'm hoping I'll do that this weekend. Once you get into that mode, it's hard to stop.

I guess this shows the problem goes beyond media.
Old 01-29-19, 07:21 AM
Admin-Thanos

Alan might just be trolling all of us with that toaster clean up story.
Old 02-04-19, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have a bunch of DVDs to sell (or give away if they don't sell) and I live in the same city as Alan Smithee. Should I offer them to him so I'll know my previously treasured Criterions (like sealed Hardboiled, Silence of the Lambs and 3 disk Brazil) are well cared for and remain in the DVDTalk family or would that just be hurting his quest for cleanness?

I also have a old Magnavox Odyssey 300 (pong machine) in the box that is his if he wants it.
Old 02-04-19, 01:19 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

send them to me instead

Enabler!
Old 02-04-19, 04:11 PM

Oooh, that Odyssey is a museum piece! I have the original 1972 Odyssey also but in storage, it's missing the overlays and isn't much use without them or the instructions.

I have the Brazil Criterion DVD but will take and watch anything I don't have. Speaking of which, I might FINALLY make some real progress in the clean-up this week but we'll see. Still don't have a job as I had hoped but getting help in that area.
Old 02-04-19, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Oooh, that Odyssey is a museum piece! I have the original 1972 Odyssey also but in storage, it's missing the overlays and isn't much use without them or the instructions.

I have the Brazil Criterion DVD but will take and watch anything I don't have. Speaking of which, I might FINALLY make some real progress in the clean-up this week but we'll see. Still don't have a job as I had hoped but getting help in that area.

You don't have to lie to us anymore Alan. We love you anyway, but the above bolded statement now registers as taunting or insulting us ....

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.