Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Landlords on my case about my cleanliness!

Old 12-06-18, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Landlords on my case about my cleanliness!

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial View Post
Okay so this is my first post in this thread, but why would Alan want Home Alone 3 just for completist sake?
Because he's 100% a hoarder who doesn't want to admit it. In his mind, he's building a collection which needs to be complete.
Old 12-06-18, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
Because he's 100% a hoarder who doesn't want to admit it. In his mind, he's building a collection which needs to be complete.
And preserved for future generations.
Old 12-06-18, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by stingermck View Post
And preserved for future generations.
Lord help our future generations if they're unable to witness the breathtaking performances in Home Alone 3.
Old 12-06-18, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
Lord help our future generations if they're unable to witness the breathtaking performances in Home Alone 3.
Fast forward to me hearing on my deathbed: "But grandpa, what happens with part 3?"
Old 12-06-18, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Far as I can tell, Alan is not unhappy with his lifestyle. No lasting change can come if he's not even viewing his hoarding and living in squalor to be an actual problem.

I'll get more into it in a later post, but I've dealt with similar mess issues over the years, both with myself and another family member. So reading this thread has struck a nerve and also let me more easily see through the blatant excuses that sound all too familiar because of my personal experiences.

Alan hasn't had his "a-ha" moment where he realizes living like this shows a lack of self-respect and self-care. This isn't about scolding the ownership of possessions. It's about not living like an animal. No, he's not as bad as some of the people on Hoarders or have piles of literal trash everywhere. That doesn't mean he doesn't have a major problem that he isn't willing to address. Acting like his living situation is somehow acceptable because it's not as bad as an episode of Hoarders is like a drunk saying his alcoholism isn't really a problem because he's not as bad circa 1970s Ozzy Osbourne.

You guys are wasting your time offering solutions to Alan. He seems like a nice guy and I don't mean to kick someone when it's clear there's a major issue in play. It's just that all of the advice and suggestions and goals are completely wasted on someone like him, because in the end, he doesn't view how he lives as being a problem.

Probably the best thing for him to do, out of respect to his neighbors, is to get a house and live like this in there. That way, he's not subjecting anyone else to the potential problems that can affect everyone in an apartment building when one tenant is living how Alan is.

Now, I understand that at his age, employment status, and the general cost of living in California, I probably have a better chance of Jennifer Lawrence showing up at my place with a bag of tacos, a box of condoms, and nowhere else to be than Alan does of purchasing a house. But until he's out of that apartment, I feel like he's positioning himself to negatively impact the lives of his neighbors because of wholly selfish reasons.
Old 12-06-18, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee View Post
Some of my titles, I get more enjoyment out of the covers than the content! Binders would ruin that. And what happens if you do want to sell them later, used discs already have little value but with covers missing they're just about worthless.

It's far past the time when they said they'd be coming in, don't see anyone checking the other apartments either. It wasn't even an "inspection" anyway (which looking online I see they aren't even allowed to do), they were just going to make sure the smoke detectors were working- and I tested them myself today already. Going back to sleep for a bit- and just scored another job interview next week so I've gotta be getting SOMETHING soon.
Where are you seeing that they aren't allowed to inspect your apartment? It varies by state, but the standard seems to be that they can inspect your place at least a couple times a year, they just need to provide 24-48 hours notice before entering.

Ultimately, you are a renter. You don't own the apartment, so you don't have any say whether or not the landlord can inspect the place.

And unless you're living in a total dump, landlords will have to enter a few times a year for different reasons (i.e. inspecting filters).

Honestly, the fact that them entering your home, even with advanced notice, has you concerned shows that there is a problem.
Old 12-06-18, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

When your parents are still supporting you in your 40s you should be able to save enough money to move, unless you spend their money on multiple storage units and every piece of useless media you can get your hands on.
Old 12-06-18, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The Home Alone 3 for sake of completion talk is funny because part of how I wound up with 50 DVDs to get rid of last night was finally breaking up some of those Warner Bros. box sets (i.e. The Bette Davis Collection). When I got down to it, there were maybe 1 or 2 titles in each set that I felt was worth me keeping. The other titles went into the "sell" tote and the external packaging for the sets went into the trash.

I know that 10 years ago, I wouldn't have fathomed breaking up a set, let alone trashing the external box that housed the DVDs. Last night I tossed them with as much thought as I would have given an old t-shirt that I used to clean up spilled Yoo-hoo.
Old 12-06-18, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni View Post
I just ordered one of those 400 disc binders so I can throw out my cases and recover some space. We'll see where I'm at after that and how many more binders I need.
I like to have my films in individual cases. I would never put up with storing them in binders. I guess I do have a hint of OCD. Recently I began the process of transferring my DVDs into 7mm cases (the first box of which I bought 12 years ago, but left lying around all this time!). Whoever initially designed DVD cases was an idiot for not taking into account all that wasted space, not to mention for not having designed it with floater-prevention tabs right off the bat.
At any rate, I've transferred about 100 so far. I'm waiting for a re-stock of these cases at blankmedia. The problem with the transferral to thinner cases is that one must either cut or fold the covers, since they are too wide for the smaller cases. I have taken to just cutting off the right and left edges. Another problem is that the old black-plastic cases are not recyclable here, but must go into the garbage, which does make me feel terrible because of the waste. Luckily, my DVD collection only amounts to 500 or so. I can't conceive of what I'd do if I had thousands, like some here.

Imagine the irony if Alan bought a copy of the documentary Minimalism and dumped it on top of his heap o' stuff. Actually, it's perhaps an even more tragic irony that the film was even released on DVD.
Old 12-06-18, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

At first I wanted to store them in the DiscSox things with the sleeves where you keep the cover art, but when I saw the price difference ($25 for 25 sleeves vs $25 for the 400 disc binder), I decided that the cover art doesn't mean THAT much to me.
Old 12-06-18, 11:10 PM

At first I wanted to store them in the DiscSox things with the sleeves where you keep the cover art, but when I saw the price difference ($25 for 25 sleeves vs $25 for the 400 disc binder), I decided that the cover art doesn't mean THAT much to me.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-50-Pk-R...edirect=mobile
Old 12-06-18, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks, but still quite a bit more expensive than what I went with, and that's one of my main concerns at this point. I'm just looking to consolidate space without investing a bunch of money into a new storage system.
Old 12-08-18, 11:13 AM

It's been two days. Did Alan get a thirty-day notice?
Old 12-08-18, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

He would need a 30-week notice to clear out.
Old 12-08-18, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

More like :30 seconds:

Old 12-10-18, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I wish Alan's apartment could be The Truman Show.
Old 12-10-18, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Quack View Post
He actually should monetize his life by live-streaming. I would definitely pay some money on Patreon to see him live in squalor in real time.
Old 12-10-18, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought the same. I just put all of the disc art in a box. Compressed down, they don't take up much space. Should I ever decide to sell the discs, and people care at that point, I'll still have the art. I did the same with my cd's, and it saved a bunch of space.
Old 12-10-18, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Originally Posted by Quack View Post
That's gotta be what's been happening all this time- some outside forces have been watching me and sabotaging any efforts to get this place cleaned up.
Old 12-10-18, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 12-10-18, 06:45 PM

That's gotta be what's been happening all this time- some outside forces have been watching me and sabotaging any efforts to get this place cleaned up.
On a serious note, what do you think anyone else could have done to stop you from picking up an item from the floor and putting it where it belongs? Did someone else kick over the box of VHS tapes and tie your hands behind your back to stop you from picking them up? I know your apartment looks like a disaster, but it really could be cleaned in a matter of hours instead of days if you actually cared.
Take a day, any day since you're unemployed and put away one item at a time. Start with one room and before you know it you will have a clear carpet space, the drawers and cabinets will be closed and your cat will be found.
Old 12-11-18, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I grew up collecting things. My mom was the same way as an adult, which I think stemmed in part from her childhood. She came from a big, working class family. What few things each kid had were ultimately not safe, as it wasn't uncommon over the years for them to come home from school and discover that their mother had decided without warning to give away/get rid of something that belonged to them.

I started to ween myself off collecting a lot of things when I moved for the first time when I was 21. Around the same time, my mom had a serious medical issue that required us to quickly empty her house and sell it off. That thing was packed to the absolute brim with stuff. Relatively nice things or mementos, but still, god damn, it was the realization that my mom seemingly hung on to everything that helped make me want to not follow suit.

She's lived in an apartment for the last decade, and it's been frustrating to watch her replicate her previous mess. She's wildly unorganized and misplaces or outright loses something several times a day. I shudder to think how many hours a week she loses just looking for things that she's let disappear in one of the dozens of piles of stuff she has throughout her place.

The kicker is that she can be talked in to getting rid of many things. We've sat down over the years, gone through some piles or bins of stuff and, without much arm-twisting, disposed of half. Her problem is a mix of letting the piles build back up and unconsciously hanging on to things she doesn't really need.

In a lot of ways, Alan's story remind me of her, though he's way more far gone than she is. She is at least open to the idea of disposing of things, where as Alan seems destined to hang on to pretty much everything, only once in while letting go, and then, quickly replacing those few things with more things. His excuses for not cleaning up and his inability to prioritize the tasks of getting his apartment in order are feel familiar, because they are things I am perpetually battling over with my mom. In her mind, she's "working on it." But this isn't a major work of art. It's an apartment. This need not be something that takes months or years to work on.
Old 12-11-18, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by rbrown498 View Post
You can't just tease us like that. Whatcha got? How do you have them displayed?
Yeah, I wanna know. I think it's a waste to buy media that you have no intention at all of ever playing, but some CED titles are so obnoxiously common that there's probably more copies of those than working players out there. It kills me though when someone obtains a rarer title, sometimes still sealed, and wants to keep it that way and never play it. THAT'S true hoarding.
Nothing too exciting, 2 are literally just background items:

Hope they are common enough for you Alan.
Old 12-11-18, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Love your display, SterlingBen! I've got some CEDs that I could probably put on display, but I'm content to leave them in storage bins at the moment. I plan to frame a couple of laserdiscs, however...something along the lines of your framed Phantasm. Maybe that should go on my resolution list for 2019.
Old 12-12-18, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Side 2 of The Thing (remake) is facing out. To me that's the equivalent of a tape that isn't rewound. Anything in that film can? They re-used those right up til the end, I've seen some that had really been around.

And I can hear that Phantasm laserdisc screaming to be let out and played. At least it's not the super-limited box set, or the Magnetic Video version which I'd like to check out the sound on.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.