Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Landlords on my case about my cleanliness!

Old 08-25-18, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Re: Landlords on my case about my cleanliness!

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee View Post
To answer the question, I don't cook much other than microwaving frozen dinners. I eat out a lot more than I should, but I'm not going broke from it.

I've been spending this week rearranging and cataloging the stuff in the kitchen cabinets, so as to be able to fit more in them. And I have a job interview next week so that could hopefully be a step towards getting out of here, though I'm not going to give up on cleaning til that actually happens this time.
Right...wake me up when we are on year 8 of this thread.
Old 08-25-18, 03:25 PM

I don't remember asking a Circuit City employee where I could find VHS tapes, only to have him send me to the kitchen department.
Old 08-25-18, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by E. Honda View Post
Nobody wants laserdiscs or VHS anymore. When I moved out of my last place I had a massive pile of Criterion laserdiscs, gave one away and tossed the rest into the dumpster. I have DVD or blu-ray release so they were just dead weight.
I sold my collection last year of LD. (It's in this thread)...I got $400 for around 250 discs. Lots of sets, and special editions, but not worthless.
Old 08-25-18, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Chrisedge View Post
I sold my collection last year of LD. (It's in this thread)...I got $400 for around 250 discs. Lots of sets, and special editions, but not worthless.
They're worthless to the general public. We're a special case (although I'd wager they'd be worthless to a lot of us, as well).
Old 08-25-18, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Chrisedge View Post
Indeed, worth about $1.60 per disc ...
Old 08-25-18, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Kurtie Dee View Post
Indeed, worth about $1.60 per disc ...
So, about one twentieth to one fiftieth of what most of them sold for at retail. (not counting the deluxe sets that sold for $100 and up).
Old 08-25-18, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by cultshock View Post
So, about one twentieth to one fiftieth of what most of them sold for at retail. (not counting the deluxe sets that sold for $100 and up).
A whole lot of movie collectors complain about the depreciation of their collections, but the thing we tend to forget is that MOST things depreciate. Your car's value takes a hit the moment you drive it off of the sales lot. Used paperbacks usually fetch pennies on the dollar, as do used clothes. I can't think of ANY physical object that is guaranteed to appreciate in value over time; if I could, I'd be buying a ton of whatever it is right now. So why do we expect our media collections to be any different? It seems pointless for us to complain about the devaluation of our collections; it's not like any of our DVDs or Blu-rays or VHS tapes or laserdiscs are one-of-a-kind objects.

What I don't understand is why people still insist on buying Blu-rays and DVDs on release day and paying release-day prices, when they can wait a few months to a year and get the same disc for 50% or more off. Going back to the car analogy, it's like buying a brand new model year car on the lot in September rather than waiting until the following summer when dealerships need to unload those same cars and offer incentives to make room for the new models. However, people are free to spend their money in any way that they want; they just shouldn't complain about what little resale value they're getting when they're paying jacked-up prices to begin with.
Old 08-25-18, 09:03 PM

From 'The Last Hollywood Video' in Hollywood, FL. https://twitter.com/last_video
Old 08-25-18, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by sportsfan64 View Post
From 'The Last Hollywood Video' in Hollywood, FL. https://twitter.com/last_video
You just gave Alan a boner
Old 08-25-18, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by rbrown498 View Post
A whole lot of movie collectors complain about the depreciation of their collections, but the thing we tend to forget is that MOST things depreciate. Your car's value takes a hit the moment you drive it off of the sales lot. Used paperbacks usually fetch pennies on the dollar, as do used clothes. I can't think of ANY physical object that is guaranteed to appreciate in value over time; if I could, I'd be buying a ton of whatever it is right now. So why do we expect our media collections to be any different? It seems pointless for us to complain about the devaluation of our collections; it's not like any of our DVDs or Blu-rays or VHS tapes or laserdiscs are one-of-a-kind objects.

What I don't understand is why people still insist on buying Blu-rays and DVDs on release day and paying release-day prices, when they can wait a few months to a year and get the same disc for 50% or more off. Going back to the car analogy, it's like buying a brand new model year car on the lot in September rather than waiting until the following summer when dealerships need to unload those same cars and offer incentives to make room for the new models. However, people are free to spend their money in any way that they want; they just shouldn't complain about what little resale value they're getting when they're paying jacked-up prices to begin with.
Agree for the most part. Except real state which usually always increases in price.
Also on the car analogy i just bought a van and the 2018 and 2019 models where priced almost exactly the same. I was ready to fet the 2018 but for $200 more i went with the 2019 which gives me a year less of depreciation.
Old 08-25-18, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by rbrown498 View Post
I was never under any illusion that my DVDs/Blu-rays would ever be worth anything in the future (just like my VHS tapes were never worth anything later on). I think there WERE collectors out there, however, that actually did think their DVDs would be worth a fortune in the future. In the hay day of DVD, when certain ones went OOP, there were people scouring the city trying to find them as some sort of nest egg. There were a few Criterion DVDs that people treated as some sort of retirement fund. Just think, there are people in this country who were selling Salo for $800. A shit (pun intended) movie to begin with.

I learned at a young age, I’m looking at you Death of Superman comic (!), that there are very few things that actually appreciate in value. Any virtually nothing that was origianlly sold as a “collectors item”.
Old 08-26-18, 10:00 AM

VHS & LD's were sub-par home video formats, even when they first came out. I understand that at the time they were the only format(s) available, but I'm baffled as to why anyone would ever want to buy and/or collect these in 2018 - especially since we have so many superior formats available to us.

VHS tapes were/are:

clunky/large,
awkward,
took up a lot of space,
would sometimes get "eaten" by the VCR (and ruin both the tape & machine),
inconvenient (need to rewind), and,
were quite expensive to purchase - at least in the early days.

LD's were/are:

large,
awkward,
took up a lot of space,
prone to scratches (like vinyl records),
inconvenient (had to be turned over half-way through a film), and
were quite expensive to purchase in the early days - this applied to both the individual LD's & the player.

Last edited by TheDude; 08-26-18 at 02:13 PM.
Old 08-26-18, 02:12 PM

Also the VHS quality would decrease after multiple viewings
Old 08-27-18, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Hearing about Alan having VHS tapes in his kitchen immediately made me think of this.

The difference being that his place is clean and organized even if the tapes in the kitchen are over the top.

The big difference I think is that we invest a small fortune into our movie collections with the TV, expensive player, small fortune in movies, and then they become worthless in a couple years as newer technology comes out and we are left with two choices: Spend more money to upgrade our collections again, our become Alan Smithee and be watching old 480P DVD's on our new $2000 TV's. Collecting media is the textbook definition of insanity to me.

Alan, you said that you had a goal of cleaning up your place by December, otherwise your considering yourself officially hopeless. Well, Christmas is four months away, and it appears that all you have done is spend three months catalouging media. What else have you accomplished besides that?
Old 08-27-18, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I dumped more Blu-rays on eBay last week and this week. I'm eventually going to put the stuff I want to keep in those sleeve binders. I have 3 and may be getting a fourth one at some point.

I keep re-reading that book "Goodbye, Things." It's fucking awesome.
Old 08-28-18, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

I would go buy that book but, you know...

Wondering if TheDude ever actually had a laserdisc player. I've had zero LDs get affected by scratches, and every player I've had automatically plays both sides without flipping. The time it takes to do that is still annoying and interrupts the movie, but it still beats VHS which everyone else was watching at the time. I'm also finding it generally amusing how VHS has been shunned when it's likely 20 years ago those same people were using it far more than I was then.

And yes, if my place isn't in decent order by this Christmas I will officially admit I have failed at all of this; not exactly sure what my punishment should be if that happens though. Still have a chance of making it, though it's admittedly taken much longer than I expected. The time it's taken to catalog the media will save me time in the long run though, and I've already weeded out several duplicates that I didn't know I had. Turns out I had THREE VHS tapes of Phantom Menace (all acquired for free), I'll use two of them as test tapes when repairing VCRs, being no big deal if the tapes get trashed in the process.
Old 08-28-18, 02:31 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

When did you decide to just start trolling us? It seemed like there was a point earlier this year when you sincerely wanted to get help.
Old 08-28-18, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I would go buy that book but, you know...
I didn't even buy the book. I subscribe to Kindle Unlimited and since I read enough to get my money's worth for that service - I barreled right through it. I read it three times.
Old 08-28-18, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

And yes, if my place isn't in decent order by this Christmas I will officially admit I have failed at all of this; not exactly sure what my punishment should be if that happens though. Still have a chance of making it, though it's admittedly taken much longer than I expected. The time it's taken to catalog the media will save me time in the long run though, and I've already weeded out several duplicates that I didn't know I had. Turns out I had THREE VHS tapes of Phantom Menace (all acquired for free), I'll use two of them as test tapes when repairing VCRs, being no big deal if the tapes get trashed in the process.
Come on. You started this "catalog" over four and a half months ago, discovered you have three VHS copies of a terrible movie and you somehow found a way to keep all three.

What would actually save time would be being able to move freely through your apartment every day without having to step over anything.
Old 08-28-18, 08:33 PM

Wondering if TheDude ever actually had a laserdisc player. I've had zero LDs get affected by scratches, and every player I've had automatically plays both sides without flipping. The time it takes to do that is still annoying and interrupts the movie, but it still beats VHS which everyone else was watching at the time. I'm also finding it generally amusing how VHS has been shunned when it's likely 20 years ago those same people were using it far more than I was then.
Nope, never had a LD player due to the expense & inconvenience of the format; plus, I was not the movie fan I am now back when these were out. OK, point taken on the scratches...I do seem to recall one person I knew who had LD's complaining about scratches, but since I never bought into the format I'm not speaking from personal experience. I also didn't know many who had these. Though, I still think it was an issue with some of them - maybe just not with the ones you had/have.

That being said, my points still stand re: the inconvenience of the format - you admit that even though your player automatically flipped the disk, it was still a hassle to wait for this.

I discount the fact that LD's had better PQ than VHS tapes - this point may have been relevant back in the '90's, but is irrelevant today - with so many other superior formats available to us.

Also, you can't argue with the amount of room LD's take up. DVD's/Blu's take up a lot less space, and streaming takes up 0 space.
Old 08-28-18, 08:52 PM
Admin-Thanos

Originally Posted by William Fuld View Post
When did you decide to just start trolling us? It seemed like there was a point earlier this year when you sincerely wanted to get help.
Maybe he wants to ensure this thread wins the TOAT award.

Christmas will come and go, but there will be a fresh new excuse and project by the time January rolls around.
Old 08-28-18, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Wish I had that LD right there. Had chances to buy way back when and never did because I had the VHS

Old 08-28-18, 09:23 PM
Premium Member

^^ What is it? Can't quite tell from the zoom in blurriness. I have a bunch of LDs still but I don't recognize that cover from the colors.
Old 08-28-18, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Rad (1986)

Old 08-28-18, 09:30 PM
Premium Member

Ahhh!

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.