Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Landlords on my case about my cleanliness!

Old 02-09-18, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Landlords on my case about my cleanliness!

-That his parents garage and his storage unit is filled with VCD's, Laserdiscs, and a 35MM projector. Seriously unless your a multimillionaire with a mansion you dont need a 35MM projector.
I think Alan has the 35 mm projector in his current apartment.
Old 02-09-18, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Nope, it's in storage- and argument is invalidated because the poster didn't know the difference between "your" and "you're". If you knew how many 35mm projectors were literally TRASHED after the "digital switchover", you'd know how important it is to save at least one. Someday before I die, I will have it installed permanently someplace ready to show movies.

Yes, I know all about people being unable to pay rent on their storage units and losing everything in them. I've made sure I don't go down that road. Even in the worst times of my life I've been able to pay all my bills- I always budget things I HAVE to pay for before spending money on anything else. I've actually thought getting a bigger or additional storage unit was a bad idea, but other people (who have actually BEEN here and know me personally) have suggested I do that. I haven't looked into what it costs yet.
Old 02-09-18, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Ah, I remember now. You want to get a bigger storage unit, because then you can move the 35mm projector in there and it won't be so tight in space. Dude, if it works -- I'm sure you can sell it to a university or place that uses 35 mm projectors. USC and UCLA film school still use them. Inquire and see if you can make some money. You will never have this museum of lost formats you're trying to cultivate.

Storage units are wastes of money.
Old 02-09-18, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by grundle View Post
A landlord explains how her tenants don't know how to change a light bulb. Skip to 0:49
I remember when I lived in an apartment (around 2003) and I needed a new 9V battery for the smoke detector, so I went to the main office to see if they had any. Luckily the office assistant had some available and I didn't have to go out and buy some batteries. The office assistant asked if I needed the maintenance guy to install the battery into the smoke detector. I was like uhhh, no I got it.

This video reminded me of that story.
Old 02-09-18, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
Storage units are wastes of money.
Storage units should be used as a temporary solution. I’ve rented one when we were having our house built and needed to store the majority of our household stuff until it was finished. The idea that someone would rent one month-by-month, indefinitely, makes absolutely no sense to me.

A 10x10 storage unit can cost $100 - $150 a month or $1200 - $1800 a year for a small space to keep the crap you don’t even use! That’s a yearly vacation or a decent chunk to getting out of debt. Such a waste for a storage unit.
Old 02-09-18, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee View Post
If you knew how many clumps of straw were literally TRASHED after the "toilet paper switchover", you'd know how important it is to save at least one.
Fixed to show an example. It's not important to save at least one of anything that is obsolete.
Old 02-09-18, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Max Bottomtime View Post
Fixed to show an example. It's not important to save at least one of anything that is obsolete.
False equivalency! I still use straw to wipe my ass.
Old 02-09-18, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

But do the cats as well? Do you have several types of straw that were never quite popular before they were replaced with small, more absorbent straw? Do you still have BetaStraw and VHStraw?
Old 02-10-18, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I have four 32" Sony Trinitron CRTs, all of which I've acquired for free off Craigslist in the last 2 years. I built a retro game room in my basement when I bought my new house, and two of them are hooked up to 20 different game systems and fully playable. The other two are spares, since there's virtually no one who will repair defective sets anymore and I imagine that all of them will disappear eventually.

It's been funny when I've gone to pick them up... people are genuinely surprised when I actually show up to take them and want to know why I'm taking them. One person even paid me to take it out of her house.

I'm fully aware that I could reduce the entire game room to a laptop running MAME and other emulators, but repairing/restoring old game systems and collecting games and flash carts has become a hobby. Other than old school gaming and the fact that there are some games that are simply unplayable on modern sets and emulators, I can't honestly think of any real use for old CRTs.

Don't worry, Alan! I'm carrying the CRT torch for you!
Old 02-10-18, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by Kurtie Dee View Post
False equivalency! I still use straw to wipe my ass.
You're doing it wrong. You're supposed to use an electric toothbrush.

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes View Post
Usually after I use it to give my asshole a good cleaning. But not always.
Old 02-10-18, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Max Bottomtime View Post
But do the cats as well? Do you have several types of straw that were never quite popular before they were replaced with small, more absorbent straw? Do you still have BetaStraw and VHStraw?
Not sayin' ....
Old 02-10-18, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ View Post
Storage units should be used as a temporary solution. I’ve rented one when we were having our house built and needed to store the majority of our household stuff until it was finished. The idea that someone would rent one month-by-month, indefinitely, makes absolutely no sense to me.

A 10x10 storage unit can cost $100 - $150 a month or $1200 - $1800 a year for a small space to keep the crap you don’t even use! That’s a yearly vacation or a decent chunk to getting out of debt. Such a waste for a storage unit.
Agreed. If you ever get to the point where you even think you'll need storage units for anything, that's when you need to unequivocally get rid of your shit that's taking up so much space.

This is fairly obvious, but it still needs to be said: If you have any Computers, TV's, DVD/Blu-ray players, etc. that don't work & that you're not going to get fixed (i.e., the warranty has run out), get rid of the fucking things. There are places that take them (Best Buy will take some broken electronic, and recycle them), and there are electronic recycling centers that may take them as well. I.e., you do not need to have this useless crap lying around the house & taking up valuable room.

Last edited by TheDude; 02-16-18 at 07:28 PM.
Old 02-10-18, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

He wants to be known as the last person with a 35mm projector, which will never be the case.
Old 02-10-18, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Here's my suggestion:

Get a decent-sized storage unit on a six-month lease. Move as much as you can into it. At the end of the six months, anything you didn't feel the need to go back for can be sold.
In six months he would decide to get a second storage unit. Horders just expand their hoard to fill the available space.
Old 02-10-18, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've actually thought getting a bigger or additional storage unit was a bad idea, but other people (who have actually BEEN here and know me personally) have suggested I do that. I haven't looked into what it costs yet.
Those people are called enablers.
Old 02-10-18, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I purged a LOT last year, when I moved. Multiple broken computers, lots of electronics, a massive Laser Disc Collection (gasp!)...I realized I just would never watch the vast majority of the stuff. Even ones with special features, etc...that never made it over to DVD. I found a guy on CL, and he was older, and a big collector. It was over 250 discs, for $400. I told him, don't waste my time haggling, either you want them all or not. He came over and we talked for almost an hour. He was thrilled getting the collection as mine were in perfect condition, and he said he would be getting some upgrades to rentals he had bought. I kept two small boxes of special discs to me, but unloaded a lot. I felt good that my collection was going to someone that would appreciate it. He was even thrilled I had original laserdisc boxes from Ken Cranes, and Pioneer.
Old 02-10-18, 04:34 PM

So how do you know that guy was a "big collector" and not a hoarder?
(I guess if your LD collection includes DiscoVision and Magnetic Video titles, you're a hoarder. If it's mostly Criterion, you're a collector!)
Old 02-10-18, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So how do you know that guy was a "big collector" and not a hoarder?
(I guess if your LD collection includes DiscoVision and Magnetic Video titles, you're a hoarder. If it's mostly Criterion, you're a collector!)
He was a collector and a hoarder!

And I certainly had many more Criterions, Big Box Sets, etc...

Old 02-10-18, 06:42 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Originally Posted by Chrisedge View Post
I felt good that my collection was going to someone that would appreciate it.
This here is a big part of my problem. No time to get into it now, maybe tomorrow.
Old 02-10-18, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've got two storage units in the building's basement. They're basically just big closets. One's filled with boxes of books, magazines, comic books. The other with random stuff--computers, electric fans, TV sets, VCRs, my daughter's childhood stuff, etc. Not sure how much they cost me each year. I think $250 a year for each. My immediate goal in retirement is to get rid of stuff. At least, I'm not acquiring much these days.
Old 02-10-18, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Chrisedge View Post
He was a collector and a hoarder!

And I certainly had many more Criterions, Big Box Sets, etc...

Dumb male humor ahead:
Spoiler:
I think you just made Alan soil his keyboard
Old 02-10-18, 09:48 PM

Why did you have multiple copies of so many titles? That's one thing I limit myself to- ONE copy of any specific edition/pressing/etc. I've gotten duplicates when people have dumped their entire collections on me, but I then weed out the duplicates, keep whichever one is in the best condition, and sell or donate the other copy(s). I would keep two of that Star Wars box set if one was the original edition with the missing few seconds from "Empire" (the version I have, which was given to me) and the other was the corrected version with it put back in. That Fantasia box was the most over-produced "limited edition" in the format's history- a ton of them got smashed in the California earthquake in the early 90s and it was a relief to those working at the warehouse- and there's STILL plenty of them to go around.

I recently found a used copy of that Toy Story box for about 5 bucks, and contemplated getting it for the uncensored "KnickKnack" short, but common sense prevailed and I left it behind. Already have the basic laserdisc of Toy Story, plus the first DVD issue and the 3D Blu-Ray.
Old 02-10-18, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Question for Alan (or anyone, really).

If there was a fire around the corner from your house/apartment, and you had a mandatory evacuation and had only 15 minutes to grab what you could that would fit in your car, what would it be?

Me, just a couple guitars - literally everything else is replaceable in one way or another. Heck even the guitars are replaceable to an extent. All the movies and music that would burn; I could still watch/listen to them in one way or another. Sure, I got some out of print shit that's "valuable", but it doesn't really mean shit. It would be a bummer if I lost it, but I'd get over it. What you can't get over is how this shit impacts your day to day life as it becomes more and more of a burden. I fucking hate burdens.
Old 02-10-18, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Why did you have multiple copies of so many titles? That's one thing I limit myself to- ONE copy of any specific edition/pressing/etc. I've gotten duplicates when people have dumped their entire collections on me, but I then weed out the duplicates, keep whichever one is in the best condition, and sell or donate the other copy(s). I would keep two of that Star Wars box set if one was the original edition with the missing few seconds from "Empire" (the version I have, which was given to me) and the other was the corrected version with it put back in. That Fantasia box was the most over-produced "limited edition" in the format's history- a ton of them got smashed in the California earthquake in the early 90s and it was a relief to those working at the warehouse- and there's STILL plenty of them to go around.

I recently found a used copy of that Toy Story box for about 5 bucks, and contemplated getting it for the uncensored "KnickKnack" short, but common sense prevailed and I left it behind. Already have the basic laserdisc of Toy Story, plus the first DVD issue and the 3D Blu-Ray.
I had gotten my moms laserdiscs when she died, and two friends gave me their discs as well.
Old 02-10-18, 10:29 PM

That question deserves its own thread, but if the fire were around the corner from me I'd feel safe enough that it wouldn't reach my stuff Most of my rarer DVDs (like the infamous original issue of Little Shop of Horrors) have already been backed up and the copies then given to my friends and/or parents, just in case something like that were to happen. Media I would want to rescue in that situation would probably be my early demo and promo stuff, like my 1981 Sears Catalog laserdisc or 1978 DiscoVision in-store demo. Yes, I have thought about what I would do if all my stuff were somehow destroyed. I would probably be a mess, but would get over it eventually. I don't know if I'd bother replacing everything or even accumulate more afterwards.

I miss the I Hate Blockbuster forum, BTW. It was especially fun in their last days reading how the higher-ups were in denial of the company being in trouble and doing the same dumb crap right up til the end. I could've turned that company around given the chance.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.