Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Landlords on my case about my cleanliness!

Old 08-29-16, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Landlords on my case about my cleanliness!

If someone is that committed to having that much stuff it at least needs to be organized. Large collections can look at least normal when in order and not chaos.
Old 08-30-16, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

This is a bit extreme, but has the right idea, and worth reading.

I've Downsized 3 Times In The Past 18 Months. Here's Why I'm Happier Than Ever

Every day is fulfilling, not because we have accumulated a new designer outfit but because we have played in the salty air and laughed about the fact that my underwear is hanging outside in plain view.

We've both finally come to realize that life is about experiences, not things.

It's true what they say ... the more you focus on being grateful for what you already have, the more abundance will come into your life.
Old 08-30-16, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post

Ugh. That Tiny Houses show
Old 08-30-16, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

life is about experiences, not things.
Old 08-30-16, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by rbrown498 View Post
Well...I tried.

The best of luck to you, Alan.
Now you feel just like everyone else that has tried to "help".
Old 08-30-16, 03:37 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee View Post
all my VCRs
Real talk: How many do you have?
Old 08-30-16, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by d2cheer View Post
Now you feel just like everyone else that has tried to "help".
Yeah, now I'm just another statistic.
Old 08-30-16, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Alan is collecting replies just as surely as he collects dead media! We've been played like damn fiddles.
Old 08-30-16, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Old 08-30-16, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

^
Old 08-30-16, 04:59 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

I bet he's printed off every page of this thread as each one reaches 25 posts (newb settings)

Actually... I bet he hasn't yet. The admins should just delete every post except Alan's.
Old 08-30-16, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

life is about experiences, not things.
But often I find things during those experiences, which helps me remember them.

Was going to link the video to the Soft Cell song "Memorabilia" but can't find an upload in acceptable quality- but the lyrics include what amounts to "I have to have something from where I went, or I have never been there." That's not ENTIRELY true in my case, but I completely identify with that.
Old 08-30-16, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The person you had that experience with is more important what whatever the thing was. And what the hell is that "thing" anyways? If I went on a great hike, I'm not going to immortalize the shoes I wore on that hike.

Point is, it's all about shared experiences with other people. And if you wanna do that with movies or TV shows, you can do it without having to own it, much less owning it on multiple formats.
Old 08-30-16, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Was going to link the video to the Soft Cell song "Memorabilia" but can't find an upload in acceptable quality- but the lyrics include what amounts to "I have to have something from where I went, or I have never been there." That's not ENTIRELY true in my case, but I completely identify with that.
That statement completely sums up your hoarding and why it's something you seriously need professional help with.
Old 08-30-16, 07:32 PM

"To protect me from the enemy, myself."

Yes, I know it's crazy- and if I go someplace and find nothing to buy, I don't buy something I don't want just for the sake of it. If I went on a hike now, I'd probably take pictures (I used to hate hiking when I was a kid.)
Old 11-02-16, 11:56 PM

This thread is still ongoing - wow. Every time I read this I'm inspired to get rid of more shit.
Old 11-03-16, 12:21 AM
Banned

Weak bump.

I'm not sure or I can't remember. Did the OP ever get a job worth a damn for his financial wants?
Old 11-03-16, 02:53 AM

Funny this should get bumped again. I was actually laid off from my job a few weeks ago, they said because of "downsizing"- it was an extremely fucked up situation but I'll start another thread about that if anyone wants to hear about it. Looking for another job (just had an interview today) but guess I'll be stuck in this place a bit longer.

I thought however that I would share an email I got last week from the landlords that turned out to be one sent to everyone who lives here- the subject was "Violation of Community Policies" which immediately had me afraid that I was in trouble for something, somewhere, but turns out to have nothing to do with me:

"Good afternoon.

The following violations were reported to our office, please make sure to address the issues and refrain from doing it again.

1) Red Hunday Elentra is parked at the property with expired tags. Vehicles should not be stored there, please move it or it will be towed.

2) A large couch has been left on the second landing and it needs to be removed immediately. If it's not removed soon, it will be removed & disposed.

3) Someone sprayed a black square on the 3rd landing by units 13 & 14, please clean up it immediately and refrain from painting the landings.

If the violations continue and we find out who is responsible, they may be ask to move.

Thank you."
Old 11-03-16, 05:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So...red Hyundais are a problem, but windmills are OK?
Old 11-03-16, 06:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
This thread is still ongoing - wow. Every time I read this I'm inspired to get rid of more shit.
My wife and I are calling this the great purge of 2016.

We have gotten rid of so much stuff it is crazy. Between Goodwill and the community dumpster we have cleaned out closets, garage and crawlspace. Clothes are gone, kitchen items and yes even dvd's and electronics, computers, dvd players are all gone.

Feels fantastic!
Old 11-03-16, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I just donated all of my ill-fitting pants (waist went from 36" to 32") to Goodwill. I now have five pairs of jeans and two pairs of khakis left to my name. I'll need to go shopping for new shorts when spring gets here. The decluttering is an ongoing process for me, but I have stuck to my rule of throwing out or donating something of equal size every time a new item is brought in the house.

The big thing taking up needless space are the boxes to my various collectibles. Some are from expensive statues or limited editions, so I don't want to just chuck them in the garbage -- even if I don't plan to sell the items. Plus, you'd need the containers to prevent breakage during a move. Unfortunately, all those empty boxes take up the space of a couple large refrigerators. Thankfully, my father has a garage with a loft that he never uses, so he's volunteered to let me stash them there for the time being.
Old 11-03-16, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Funny this should get bumped again. I was actually laid off from my job a few weeks ago, they said because of "downsizing"
Hmmm.... irony?

Maybe you should take that as a hint that sometimes people/businesses need to downsize in order to survive?
Old 11-03-16, 12:57 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Hmmm.... irony?

Maybe you should take that as a hint that sometimes people/businesses need to downsize in order to survive?
I literally just had a similar discussion with a co-worker about this kind of thing.
Old 11-03-16, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Every day is fulfilling, not because we have accumulated a new designer outfit but because we have played in the salty air and laughed about the fact that my underwear is hanging outside in plain view.

We've both finally come to realize that life is about experiences, not things.

It's true what they say ... the more you focus on being grateful for what you already have, the more abundance will come into your life.
Yes, but at the same time an example of one of the many privileges, as the implicit erroneous assumption is that all people are capable of deriving a positive benefit from experiences that is not always the case.

The second example here describes some of this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emotional_detachment

Emotional detachment can also be used to describe what is often considered "emotional numbing", "emotional blunting", ie dissociation, depersonalization or in its chronic form depersonalization disorder. This type of emotional numbing or blunting is a disconnection from emotion, it is frequently used as a coping/ survival skill during traumatic childhood events such as abuse or severe neglect. Over time and with much use, this can become second nature when dealing with day to day stressors.

Emotional detachment often arises from psychological trauma and is a component in many anxiety and stress disorders. The person, while physically present, moves elsewhere in the mind, and in a sense is "not entirely present", making them sometimes appear preoccupied.
In a perfect world I think that the advice is very good, but we don't live in that perfect world, at least some don't. I think it can be argued that telling people who have a tough time, or are incapable, of associating positive emotions with experiences that experiences are the highest good (or even one of them) is a form of discrimination.

As well, the couple have certain benefits in their life (such as another person) that are not universally shared. As such, while I do think there to be value in their perspective (as is true of all perspectives) then it is also very much worth taking note of how the advice can be inapplicable, and even discriminatory to some, such as a portion of those who have survived child abuse, child molestation, and perhaps some other severe traumas.
Old 11-03-16, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Solid Snake View Post
Weak bump.

I'm not sure or I can't remember. Did the OP ever get a job worth a damn for his financial waste?
Fixed

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.