Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Breaking news: CNN sucks! (Bonus discussion: Malaysian Airlines Flight 370)

Other Talk "Otterville"

Old 03-07-14, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 768 Likes on 571 Posts

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2014/03...ing-23-people/

A Malaysia Airlines plane with 239 people aboard, including four Americans, is missing after losing contact with air traffic control on its way from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing early Saturday.

The airline said in a statement it is working to locate the Boeing 777-200 after it lost contact with Subang Air Traffic Control at 2:40 a.m., two hours into the flight. It was scheduled to land in Beijing at 6:30 a.m.

China's state-run news agency Xinhua reported the plane was lost in airspace controlled by Vietnam, and never made contact with Chinese air traffic controllers. There have been no reports of a plane crashing into Chinese waters, and China is assisting the airline in its search for the plane.

The plane is carrying 227 passengers, including two infants, and 12 crew members. The airline said in a statement that the passengers are of 14 different nationalities and the airline is currently notifying next-of-kin about the situation.

"Our thoughts and prayers are with all affected passengers and crew and their family members," Malaysian Airlines CEO Ahmad Jauhari Yahya said.

Those aboard included 153 Chinese citizens, including one infant, 38 Malaysian citizens, 12 Indonesian citizens, seven Australian citizens, four American citizens, including one infant, two citizens each from New Zealand, Canada and Ukraine and one each from Russia, Italy, Taiwan, the Netherlands and Austria.

"We are extremely worried,'' Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi told reporters in Beijing. "We are doing all we can to get details. The news is very disturbing. We hope everyone on the
plane is safe."

Vietnamese website VN Express said a Vietnamese search and rescue official reported that signals from the plane were detected about 140 miles southwest of Vietnam's southernmost Ca Mau province. But a Vietnam rescue official denied that a signal had been detected.

"We have been seeking but no signal from the plane yet," Pham Hien, director of a Vietnam maritime search and rescue coordination center in Vung Tau, told Reuters.

Malaysia Airlines said it is working with authorities who have activated a Search and Rescue team to locate the plane. The route would take the aircraft from Malaysia across to Vietnam and China.

The airline says the plane's pilot is Captain Zaharie Ahmad Shah, a 53-year-old who has been with the airline for over 30 years. The plane's first officer is Fariq Ab.Hamid, a 27-year-old who joined the airline in 2007. Both are Malaysians.

At Beijing's airport, Zhai Le was waiting for her friends, a couple, who were on their way back to the Chinese capital on the flight. She said she was very concerned because she hadn't been able to reach them.

Airport authorities posted a written notice asking relatives and friends of passengers to gather to a hotel about 30 minutes drive from the airport to wait for further information, and provided a shuttle bus service.

Another woman wept aboard the shuttle bus while talking by mobile phone, " They want us to go to the hotel. It cannot be good!"

Malaysia Airlines has 15 Boeing 777-200 jets in its fleet of about 100 planes. The state-owned carrier last month reported its fourth straight quarterly loss.

The 777 has not had a fatal crash in its 20 year history until the Asiana crash in San Francisco in July 2013.

Boeing said on its Twitter account it is monitoring the situation, and "our thoughts are with everyone on board."

Very sad news. Most likely they are probably dead.
Old 03-08-14, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 210 Likes on 182 Posts
Re: Malaysian Airlines Flight to China disappears carrying 239 passengers (4 American

That is a terrible tragedy.
Old 03-08-14, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Re: Malaysian Airlines Flight to China disappears carrying 239 passengers (4 American

Awful news. I hate reading about Airline tragedies like this.
Old 03-08-14, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

http://www.cnn.com/2014/03/08/world/...html?hpt=hp_t1

Plane reportedly crashed off the coast of Vietnam. Things are looking grim.
Old 03-08-14, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I certainly don't enjoy flying and these cataclysmic airline disasters happen VERY rarely nowadays. Still, based on the miniscule mathematical probabilities these occasions do occur, it's obviously never less than a devastating event.

However unsafe, I would still rather travel by car whenever possible.
Old 03-08-14, 03:07 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by JumpCutz View Post
I certainly don't enjoy flying and these cataclysmic airline disasters happen VERY rarely nowadays. Still, based on the miniscule mathematical probabilities these occasions do occur, it's obviously never less than a devastating event.

Flying is still one of the safest means to travel. Stuff like this is indeed tragic, but very rarely does it happen.

I personally love to travel and fly overseas for vacations when I can. This sucks and the loss of life sucks, but it's not going to deter people including me from wanting to go on vacation or take their business trips. Life has to move on despite a tragedy like this. You can't live life in fear.
Old 03-08-14, 03:09 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

http://www.cnn.com/2014/03/08/world/...html?hpt=hp_t1

Malaysian authorities are denying reports of the crash saying there is no wreckage.

I'm sure the news will be updated and confirmed as the weekend comes to a close.
Old 03-08-14, 04:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
Flying is still one of the safest means to travel. Stuff like this is indeed tragic, but very rarely does it happen.

I personally love to travel and fly overseas for vacations when I can. This sucks and the loss of life sucks, but it's not going to deter people including me from wanting to go on vacation or take their business trips. Life has to move on despite a tragedy like this. You can't live life in fear.
Indeed.

Yes, flying is statistically the safest mode of transportation, and I've had to do it countless times for various business ventures. It still remains, however irrational... my biggest phobia.
Old 03-08-14, 05:52 AM
Banned

^ ^ ^

What JumpCutz said. My wife is flying back from Florida tomorrow morning, and I'll breathe a lot more easily when the plane is safely on the tarmac.

I think one of the reasons for the phobia is the feeling of utter helplessness if something goes very wrong. There are no ejection seats, guard rails, life rafts (unless the plane is able to safely land in water), etc...and there's absolutely nowhere to go. It's like a full head-on car crash...usually with few or no survivors when it happens away from an airport.

Thoughts to the families involved as they await confirmation.
Old 03-08-14, 06:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/5402342.stm
In the US alone, between 1983 and 2000, there were 568 plane crashes. Out of the collective 53,487 people onboard, 51,207 survived.
The odds of getting involved in a plane crash are tiny. And if you beat those odds and actually get involved in an actual crash, the survival rate is about 96%. That's slightly higher than the odds of getting shot, which are only 95%.
Old 03-08-14, 06:23 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by RoyalTea View Post
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/5402342.stm

The odds of getting involved in a plane crash are tiny. And if you beat those odds and actually get involved in an actual crash, the survival rate is about 96%. That's slightly higher than the odds of getting shot, which are only 95%.
I wonder what that article views as a 'crash.' Is it any accident involving a plane (skidding off a runway, landing gear collapses, electrical fire on board, forced landings, etc.)? Some of the commenters after the article mention the same thing.

I think most people fear the plane going down into a nosedive and crashing into the water/ground at a high rate of speed. At least, that's what I think of when I think "crash." Can't imagine the odds being very good in that event.
Old 03-08-14, 06:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Shanna, they bought their tickets, they knew what they were getting into.

I am so going to Hell

Aisle seat!
Old 03-08-14, 07:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 223 Likes on 165 Posts

Vietnamese officials report they found a 12-mile long oil slick that they're saying is the crash.
Old 03-08-14, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Indeed.

Yes, flying is statistically the safest mode of transportation, and I've had to do it countless times for various business ventures. It still remains, however irrational... my biggest phobia.
I rarely fly, and have a mild phobia of it. Once I actually get in the airport I'm okay, and when I'm on the plane itself and get going, I would even say I somewhat enjoy it. But I tend to mildly dread the flight for days in advance--not something I look forward to. And yes, I know it's statistically safer, but it's the lack of control and unlikelihood of walking away from a crash that disturb me.
Old 03-08-14, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Since this is posted in politics I'm assuming it's either Obama's or Bush's fault?
Old 03-08-14, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by DeputyDave View Post
Since this is posted in politics I'm assuming it's either Obama's or Bush's fault?
It's for the eventual assumption that this was an act of terrorism, as air travel is so safe that nothing could possib-lie go wrong. Er, possib-ly go wrong. That's the first thing that's ever gone wrong.
Old 03-08-14, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I am guessing the smoke monster has killed the pilot by now
Old 03-08-14, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 143 Likes on 106 Posts

MH370 (B777-200)

* Two passengers on this plane are traveling with stolen passports

* The pilots didn't make a distress call

* All communication lost about 40-minutes after leaving Kuala Lumpur airport

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 03-08-14 at 09:36 AM.
Old 03-08-14, 10:05 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Received 352 Likes on 254 Posts

I was reading about this last night. Crazy that they went from 35,000ft to zero communication. Scary stuff and events like this are unsettling.
Like others, I fly often enough, and I know it's safer, but I feel like I have more control when driving my car. I just hope the families get some closure. Nothing worse than not knowing in a case like this.
Old 03-08-14, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Catastrophic mechanical failure or terrorism
Old 03-08-14, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 114 Likes on 75 Posts

Indeed.

I hate flying, sure it's safer than driving but I have a fear of heights and drowning so I try to avoid it as much as possible. In the last 30 years I have only flown twice (business trips). There were other occasions that I had to travel, once to Iowa and another to Atlanta (from NYC), I decided to drive.
Old 03-08-14, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Two people were on the passenger list, but not on board the plane. Both of them have reported that their passports had been stolen.
Old 03-08-14, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 210 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by RoyalTea View Post
Two people were on the passenger list, but not on board the plane. Both of them have reported that their passports had been stolen.
It definitely sounds like a terrorist incident.
Old 03-08-14, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
It definitely sounds like a terrorist incident.
Yeah, that would be my bet. A bomb explains why the pilots never called in trouble.
Old 03-08-14, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 130 Likes on 85 Posts

Even if terrorists boarded the plane using stolen passports, how do they get a bomb on the plane?

And wouldn't a terrorist group have claimed responsibility by now?

I'm leaning towards catastrophic mechanical failure.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.