Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Breaking news: CNN sucks! (Bonus discussion: Malaysian Airlines Flight 370)

Other Talk "Otterville"

Breaking news: CNN sucks! (Bonus discussion: Malaysian Airlines Flight 370)

Old 03-17-14, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Malaysian Airlines Flight to China disappears carrying 239 passengers (4 American

Would the passengers let the plane fly for hours? There was at least one passenger that was very capable at defending himself.
Old 03-17-14, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 134 Likes on 96 Posts
Re: Malaysian Airlines Flight to China disappears carrying 239 passengers (4 American

Mark Whalberg was on the flight?
Old 03-17-14, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I heard (again, who knows how the sources are on this) that ascending to the high altitude that they tracked this plane at, above the service ceiling, would have rendered the passengers in the cabin unconscious if it were depressurized. That is one possible explanation for that ascent.

I have no idea how long they would remain unconscious, or if a pilot can depressurize the cabin like that. I think this was discussed when damage to the aircraft was being looked at.
Old 03-17-14, 02:40 PM
RIP

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Who is Melissa? And where do I find more pictures of her?
Old 03-17-14, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by EddieMoney View Post
Who is Melissa? And where do I find more pictures of her?
It's pronounced "Malaysia," and apparently the government is struggling with that too.
Old 03-17-14, 02:47 PM
RIP

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

I wouldn't mind disappearing inside of her.
Old 03-17-14, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 455 Likes on 392 Posts

Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
#2 is possible. If the person banked left, he could have taken it around and hit some target in Malaysia. The co-pilot of other person could have forced a struggle which left the plane careening out of control in altitude. Then the thing goes on auto-pilot until it runs out of fuel because the pilots are dead for whatever reason. Perhaps the pilot killed the co-pilot?

I'm either leaning toward #2 or our intelligence agencies are incapable of finding a Boeing 777 that landed in Asia.
You have to remember that American intelligence would not reveal their own satellite data to China, we don't want the geopolitics of the situation to blow up. Yes, the NSA almost certainly has every inch of China covered by spy satellites. If the plane ever flew through Chinese airspace, the Americans already know.
Old 03-17-14, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm not sure our coverage is that good yet, retroactively. I think they could get a satellite into view on any part of China, but I don't think there is real-time recording of every inch of China at all times.
Old 03-17-14, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Th0r S1mpson View Post
I'm not sure our coverage is that good yet, retroactively. I think they could get a satellite into view on any part of China, but I don't think there is real-time recording of every inch of China at all times.
It's the same organization that thought intercepting basically all email on the planet was a good idea. The US government has to downplay its capability in the press.
Old 03-17-14, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Th0r S1mpson View Post
I heard (again, who knows how the sources are on this) that ascending to the high altitude that they tracked this plane at, above the service ceiling, would have rendered the passengers in the cabin unconscious if it were depressurized. That is one possible explanation for that ascent.

I have no idea how long they would remain unconscious, or if a pilot can depressurize the cabin like that. I think this was discussed when damage to the aircraft was being looked at.
Everyone would be unconscious and eventually dead at 35k feet. You are talking about maybe 30 seconds of conscious time @35k, vs 15 at 45k. The passengers can't do anything with either amount, so I'd discount the plane was at 45k feet (likely it couldn't get there even it it wanted to, simply to heavy at that time of the flight).
Old 03-17-14, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Autotelik View Post
Could still be a pilot suicide with a very specific place where he wanted to die, like way out in the middle of the Indian Ocean where people can't find you, instead of just downing it in the South China Sea.
That's what I'm sticking with. There could be a dozen reasons why someone would want to die out in the middle of nowhere. I wouldn't find this far fetched at all.
Old 03-17-14, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 697 Likes on 445 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
You have to remember that American intelligence would not reveal their own satellite data to China, we don't want the geopolitics of the situation to blow up. Yes, the NSA almost certainly has every inch of China covered by spy satellites. If the plane ever flew through Chinese airspace, the Americans already know.
You seem to know a lot about things you say our government is keeping a secret. Must not be a very good secret.
Old 03-17-14, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If we already had secret satellites over China, then for sure we'd see bootleg US satellites being sold on Chinese streets by now.
Old 03-17-14, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

How do you depressurize a airliner at altitude? Is there some sort of switch you pull to pop the cork at altitude? Wouldn't that be a cool tool for incapacitating hijackers, irate, inconvenient or unnecessary passengers.
Old 03-17-14, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
I know facts have no place in conspiracy theories, but you have no clue what you're talking about.

First off, the NSA is responsible for SIGINT; reconnaissance is the purview of NRO and NGA.

Second, recon sats fly low and fast, covering only a narrow swath of ground with each pass. Even with multiple satellites in orbit, any particular part of China will only be under surveillance for a few minutes per day.
Old 03-17-14, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by mike45 View Post
How do you depressurize a airliner at altitude? Is there some sort of switch you pull to pop the cork at altitude? Wouldn't that be a cool tool for incapacitating hijackers, irate, inconvenient or unnecessary passengers.
yes, you open manually override the outflow valves to full open, which is normally adjusted by the pressurization system automatically. No idea how long it would take, a google search gave me one page that estimated about 20,000 ft per minute climb in cabin altitude. 777 appears to have 2 of them, about the sizer of a sheet of paper.

So probably 90 seconds or less for the cabin to go from the normal 8000 feet pressure to 35,000. Masks would drop probably around 15,000 feet pressure.

No idea if it is accurate, but I've heard of commercial pilots using that to help sedate drunks that are getting a bit wound up. Increase the cabin from say 8k to 10k might make them a little sleepy, maybe calm them down.
Old 03-17-14, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara View Post
I know facts have no place in conspiracy theories, but you have no clue what you're talking about.

First off, the NSA is responsible for SIGINT; reconnaissance is the purview of NRO and NGA.
It's funny that you mention the NSA, a group that exists in name only with their only function being the fall guy when technologies (usually developed 30+ years ago) are revealed by mistake. You learned these things from where? You trust that source? Your evidence that they are not a part of the QDD (whose cover in Quantico is easily recognized as a front)?
Old 03-17-14, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Is it really a big deal for a pilot to have a stimulator in his house? Seems like a good way to practice.
Old 03-17-14, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

It's helpful in that maybe he has saved or cached flight paths left on that simulator that would lead to what happened. Maybe he was dumb and practiced the exact flight path to wherever.
Old 03-17-14, 10:30 PM

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
Is it really a big deal for a pilot to have a stimulator in his house? Seems like a good way to practice.
Yeah, to practice GAY TERRORISM.
Old 03-17-14, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

To me it's no big deal. From the look of his set-up, it doesn't look all that sophisticated. It all seems to be off the shelf equipment. I've seen in a lot of catalogs.
Old 03-18-14, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Still haven't found this plane?
Old 03-18-14, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mapasu View Post
Still haven't found this plane?
It's been officially verified to be on the fucking moon.

Jeez man, try to keep up.
Old 03-18-14, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

On a 2 week vacation, not keeping up at all.
Old 03-18-14, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

One of the current popular conspiracies making the rounds now is that the plan was hijacked by the Americans and it landed on Diego Garcia, a military atoll we control in the Indian Ocean. This is supposedly tied to the Chinese Nationals working at Freescale on sensitive DOD contracts. They were going to spill American military secrets to China when the plane landed and we intercepted the plane somehow to prevent it.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.