DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Other Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk-9/)
-   -   Can you make money with panty vending machines? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk/618528-can-you-make-money-panty-vending-machines.html)

Mabuse 03-05-14 09:27 AM

Can you make money with panty vending machines?

Was thinking of buying an existing vending machine route as a small business. Anyone ever tried this? Can you make a living doing it?

Groucho 03-05-14 09:47 AM

re: Can you make money with panty vending machines?

Obviously people do make money doing this, but if somebody's selling off an existing route you have to wonder why (i.e. if the route was profitable they'd probably hold onto it).

Why So Blu? 03-05-14 10:34 AM

I remember this being a somewhat lucrative venture back in late 90's early 2000's. I knew a guy who had 3 of them and still had two day jobs. Granted, he didn't own the machines outright but did collect a small sum. I don't remember the exact details or what cut he received and what cut the owners of the machine received.

kvrdave 03-05-14 10:54 AM

I've had friends do it. Some people just get tired of it. You have to look into what all in involved in bidding for locations each year, etc. Also, they need to show you their books for the past few years.

It can make nice side money, but it is also the type of thing that you don't get to forget about when you get off work.

taffer 03-05-14 11:10 AM

Ask Detective Steve Billings.

TomOpus 03-05-14 11:20 AM

Make sure there are no forklifts nearby.

Jason 03-05-14 11:29 AM

Well, look at it this way. A average vending machine has about 50 slots, and each slot holds 10-20 items. That's 500 to 1,000 items, selling for around $1 each. So the most a machine can gross is $1000. The vending machine down the hall from my office is a high traffic area (college campus) and gets restocked about once a week, and except when they're ignored over the summer, they're never completely empty.

I'm sure it's decent income if you have a lot of machines, but it's a lot of work, and you're not going to get "rich" doing it.

van der graaf 03-05-14 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by taffer (Post 12034462)
Ask Detective Steve Billings.

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__...-wagenbach.jpg

New-AgeOutlaw 03-05-14 12:48 PM

Have relatives that have their own company. They make a good living with it. She works from 2am to 5-6pm. They bought a warehouse and forklifts but run it just the 2 of them. He delivers, setup machines and does repairs. They had to hire an accountant and a attorney for the business.

Lot of work, but they make money. I believe 50% on each item then subtract all bills.

Mabuse 03-05-14 01:13 PM

She works 16 hours a day?! I hope you mean she works from 2:00 pm to 5:00 or 6:00 pm.

This route is 18 soda and candy machines in 9 locations. Guy is selling route and machines for $30,000. He claims it earns about $26,000 annually. So obviously wouldn't make any profit until year two. I was thinking of starting from nothing, acquiring locations, and placing machines, but this sounded like a way to jump in with both feet.

Thanks for the advice of asking to see the books for at least the last two years. I will absolutely ask to see that.

mndtrp 03-05-14 02:15 PM

A lot of your time is going to be wrapped up in simply driving around. One of my neighbors had a snack machine route. He ordered his stuff from Amazon, and then spent 10+ hours, 6 days a week, driving all that crap to his machines.

Th0r S1mpson 03-05-14 02:29 PM

I just took some time to think about all the rich people I've come across, and the three things they had in common were rich relatives, hot wives, and vending machines. I'm pretty sure it starts with the vending machines and then you get a hot wife and have enough money to piss away that even your relatives are rich.

Mabuse 03-05-14 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by mndtrp (Post 12034717)
A lot of your time is going to be wrapped up in simply driving around. One of my neighbors had a snack machine route. He ordered his stuff from Amazon, and then spent 10+ hours, 6 days a week, driving all that crap to his machines.

60 hours a week driving. Were they all over the state or something? You're the second person to make this sound really time consuming. It doesn't seem too time consuming at first glance. Maybe it is.

PhantomStranger 03-05-14 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Mabuse (Post 12034638)
She works 16 hours a day?! I hope you mean she works from 2:00 pm to 5:00 or 6:00 pm.

This route is 18 soda and candy machines in 9 locations. Guy is selling route and machines for $30,000. He claims it earns about $26,000 annually. So obviously wouldn't make any profit until year two. I was thinking of starting from nothing, acquiring locations, and placing machines, but this sounded like a way to jump in with both feet.

Thanks for the advice of asking to see the books for at least the last two years. I will absolutely ask to see that.

You have to remember the nasty pushback happening against soda and candy in areas with lots of children, who just so happen to be some of the market's biggest customers. Parents are fighting against what they perceive as unhealthy, attractive nuisances. Soda sales are down in the developed Western world and likely won't be coming back to previous heights.

Is there any pending legislation that might make those machines much less lucrative and other legislative issues.

GMan2819 03-05-14 03:34 PM

Are you planning on making this your fulltime job or to supplement your current fulltime job?

What does "earns about $26000 anually" really mean? Is that after he pays himself a salary?

I would also look into what agreements are in place with the vending machine locations. Do they transfer to you? Are there any escape clauses that would cause you to lose the locations?

Also, where does he get his supplies? If he's getting them from Amazon, maybe you can do better by going to Costco or Sam's Club or someplace cheaper.

What about maintenance? Can you handle maintaining the machines or does he outsource that?

Cardsfan111 03-05-14 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by GMan2819 (Post 12034847)
What does "earns about $26000 anually" really mean? Is that after he pays himself a salary?

And is that annual amount in dollars or Snickers bars and Cheez-its?

funkyryno 03-05-14 03:50 PM

Just remember: Don't get high on your own supply.

jjcool 03-05-14 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger (Post 12034777)
You have to remember the nasty pushback happening against soda and candy in areas with lots of children, who just so happen to be some of the market's biggest customers. Parents are fighting against what they perceive as unhealthy, attractive nuisances. Soda sales are down in the developed Western world and likely won't be coming back to previous heights.

Is there any pending legislation that might make those machines much less lucrative and other legislative issues.

Good point to consider. You could always stock the machines with some healthier snacks though. I always pass by little pouches of dried fruits and nuts and shit like that at costco when I am getting chips and soda. Plus those can probably fetch a higher price too.

GoldenJCJ 03-05-14 05:14 PM

I've considered buying into ATM machines. Especially placing them in the marijuana dispensaries here in Colorado since you have to pay cash for any pot you buy. The last several times I've used a ATM that wasn't at my bank it was a $3 to $4 dollar charge just to use it.

Th0r S1mpson 03-05-14 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ (Post 12034963)
I've considered buying into ATM machines. Especially placing them in the marijuana dispensaries here in Colorado since you have to pay cash for any pot you buy. The last several times I've used a ATM that wasn't at my bank it was a $3 to $4 dollar charge just to use it.

You might want a vending machine next to each of those ATMs.

Josh-da-man 03-05-14 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by Th0r S1mpson (Post 12034734)
I just took some time to think about all the rich people I've come across, and the three things they had in common were rich relatives, hot wives, and vending machines. I'm pretty sure it starts with the vending machines and then you get a hot wife and have enough money to piss away that even your relatives are rich.

They're using the vending machines to launder drug money.

GoldenJCJ 03-05-14 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by Th0r S1mpson (Post 12034976)
You might want a vending machine next to each of those ATMs.

Now you're talking. An entire vending machine filled with nothing but Cheetos and Twinkies! My empire should be complete in no time.

Jason 03-05-14 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man (Post 12035013)
They're using the vending machines to launder drug money.

Just don't let it tip over on your head...

smg669 03-05-14 08:33 PM

I used to have a coffee vending machine. 38th & 6th in the basement of the K-Mart. You just go downstairs, you get the key from David and BOOM! You plug in the machine and...

nickdawgy 03-05-14 08:53 PM

I used to stock vending machines for a smaller company when I was younger. Mostly the claw prize type machines, but some sticker and candy as well. I'd do it five days a week and 30 hours a week. It was around the Santa Clarita area and Victorville areas and also Lancaster.

You'd be surprised how much those machines can generate. The candy machines were mostly 25 cent types and they'd have anywhere from $20 to $75 each machine each week. I'd have $4-$5k in dollar bills and change by the end of the week.