Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

42nd Random Pic Thread to the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe, and Everything

Other Talk "Otterville"

42nd Random Pic Thread to the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe, and Everything

Old 11-30-14, 02:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 312 Likes on 220 Posts
Re: 42nd Random Pic Thread to the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe, and Everyt

I like this take:
(BTW, it used to be "strong" mind, now they changed to "strange", which is just utter meaningless nonsense)
It seems the bogus "Cambridge University Study" concerning shuffled words is making the rounds again, and this is one bit of crapola I never tire of debunking. Here is a typical depiction:

"From Cambridge University .

O lny srmat poelpe can raed tihs.
I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, t he olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rgh it pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt! if you can raed tihs psas it on !!"

That this piece of obvious claptrap continues to impress is testimony not only to the ever sagging education level of Americans, but also to our ever-growing anti-intellectualism that gives more and more benefit of the doubt to anything that promises to validate ignorance and basic intellectual laziness. It is flawed in every way. I've never been able to confirm that such a study was ever done at Cambridge, but if it was, and this description accurately portrayed their findings, everyone associated with the study out to be booted from serious intellectual circles.

If we truly read words as a whole, then why must the first and last letters be fixed? Why can't the entire word be scrambled? And what exactly does "as a whole" mean anyway? How can one see a word as a whole without seeing the letters in it?

In a way this is a cheap magician's trick, because the only reason people can read the scrambled words is because they aren't very scrambled. Fixing the first and last letters means 2 and 3 letter words don't change at all, and 4 letter words just swap the middle letters. That's the bulk of our vocabulary. Try making a sentence with very long words, and our ability to read words "as a whole" mysteriously vanishes. To wit:

Bblaaesl pryleas pnmrrioefg sllaimy aeoulltsby dvrseee clbrpmaaoe tteenmrat.

is incomprehensible, because now every word is truly scrambled, with the first and last letters being an insignificant proportion of the total. So sorry all of you that thought you had academic backing to your poor spelling and grammar skills. They do matter, because baseball players performing similarly absolutely deserve comparable treatment.
Old 11-30-14, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 592 Likes on 417 Posts
Re: 42nd Random Pic Thread to the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe, and Everyt

Interesting take slop. I honestly didn't pay any mind to the stuff about it being a study from Cambridge or it being a validation of any particular level of mental skills. I just thought it was a interesting exercise showing how the human brain functions. Now that I look at it again (in the context of your post) I would say it is propaganda from Whole Language proponents.

You are correct, we do not see the word as a whole to the point that we can read it with all the letters scrambled. We do see the intended word with enough context though (i.e., first and last letters in place; enough context around it from supporting words and sentences).

Seeing the word as a whole has to do with the way schools are trying to teach reading. Rather than teaching phonics, schools are teaching kids to "recognize and recall" whole words. Whole Language is also based on faulty logic. Whole language is how people learn to read pictographic or ideographic languages where the written language does not use an alphabet to present sounds, but rather uses symbols to represent concepts. Educators figured Eastern students were doing so much better than Western students so Whole Language must have something to it. The problem is our written languages are based on two very distinct platforms. It's akin to sticking a Blu-Ray in a Beta player.

You are right though, hyping up the purpose to make it fit a claim does devalue any legitimate purposes. It could serve a very good purpose in showing how the mind interprets what we see. Some people indicated stumbling on two words which were missing a space, while some of us had to go back to see what they were talking about. Did anybody notice some words are spelled accurately?
Old 11-30-14, 10:54 AM
Banned

Received 775 Likes on 581 Posts

Where'd all the pictures go??
Old 11-30-14, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 107 Likes on 83 Posts

Old 11-30-14, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts

Old 11-30-14, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 174 Likes on 115 Posts

Old 11-30-14, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Old 11-30-14, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Old 11-30-14, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Old 11-30-14, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Old 11-30-14, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 85 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
Bblaaesl pryleas pnmrrioefg sllaimy aeoulltsby dvrseee clbrpmaaoe tteenmrat.

is incomprehensible, because now every word is truly scrambled, with the first and last letters being an insignificant proportion of the total. So sorry all of you that thought you had academic backing to your poor spelling and grammar skills. They do matter, because baseball players performing similarly absolutely deserve comparable treatment.
Not removing letters also matters.
Old 11-30-14, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Old 11-30-14, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 647 Likes on 454 Posts

Yummy. Looks like Liz Vassey.
Old 11-30-14, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

She looks nothing like Liz Vassey. Of course, these are just opinions.
Old 11-30-14, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 813 Likes on 572 Posts

Delish, whoever she is.
Old 11-30-14, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume View Post
Delish, whoever she is.
Yes, but we still don't know what her feet look like.
Old 11-30-14, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^Haha, true, but I bet they're fantastic.
Old 11-30-14, 05:37 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Alyson Sax from what I've found. Thank you, Google Image Search.
Old 11-30-14, 07:06 PM

Received 372 Likes on 269 Posts

Old 11-30-14, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 366 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake View Post
Alyson Sax from what I've found. Thank you, Google Image Search.
Hot. Apparently she's only like 30 minutes away from me. I need to follow up on stalking laws.
Old 12-01-14, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Coral View Post
Hot. Apparently she's only like 30 minutes away from me. I need to follow up on stalking laws.
Even closer to me, but I strongly suspect she's not my type, and that I'm not hers.
Spoiler:

Bonus pic of the sizzling Cuthbert I found at the same site.

Old 12-01-14, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 647 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by The Infidel View Post
She looks nothing like Liz Vassey. Of course, these are just opinions.
Seriously?

Old 12-01-14, 12:45 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jeez, guys. Don't be all creepy about knowing where the fuck she lives.
Old 12-01-14, 04:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
Seriously?

Yes, seriously. Just because you searched long enough to find the one picture of Liz Vassey on the internet that looks .00001% like the picture of Alyson Sax doesn't mean she looks like her. I see two totally different looking women. You want validation? Fine. They both have faces and hair. How's that?

Last edited by The Infidel; 12-01-14 at 09:36 PM.
Old 12-01-14, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 366 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake View Post
Jeez, guys. Don't be all creepy about knowing where the fuck she lives.
Knowing the city is not the same as knowing the house/street.

BTW, she's from the same city as Justin Beiber - so it's obvious she exists to counter the evil.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.