Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Remember the gal that sued McDonald's over the hot coffee? She did deserve the money!

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Remember the gal that sued McDonald's over the hot coffee? She did deserve the money!

Old 12-23-13, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts
Re: Remember the gal that sued McDonald's over the hot coffee? She did deserve the mo

Originally Posted by van der graaf View Post
Right. And a jury pool and entire court system agreed with your nuanced and well formulated argument....
Cause every jury gets it right all the time.
Old 12-23-13, 02:31 PM
Banned by request

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Remember the gal that sued McDonald's over the hot coffee? She did deserve the mo

She didn't sue because it spilled. She sued because when she spilled it, it was so hot that it caused serious damage.
Old 12-23-13, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

Like I said I think there was some responsibility on both sides. I don't think she deserved 2.7 million though. Maybe medical, 100k, and free coffee for life (In a spill resistant cup).
Old 12-23-13, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

She should have put a balm on it.
Old 12-23-13, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by VHS? View Post
Yes, coffee is hot. But this coffee was way above what it should have been.
This is a fault of McDonald's. What if she had not put it in her lap but DRANK that hot lava ? She could have suffered more damage than what she got on her legs. McDonald's is lucky she didnt drink it first.
Would it still be her dumbass fault for drinking the coffee ?
YES! Coffee should be boiling hot. It's your own fault if you don't check how hot it is before you drink it or pour it over your crotch! She got rewarded for being stupid.
Old 12-23-13, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why the fuck would anyone want scolding hot anything ? If you cant eat or drink it at the time then it seems a bit redundant dont you think ?
"Can I get some super hot coffee so I can let it cool down enough to drink, please"
Old 12-23-13, 03:38 PM

Yea, I've spilled regular coffee on myself before. It hurts, but it cools pretty quickly and it doesn't melt your skin through clothes. Sorry, McD's was at fault here. I like how she is the stupid one here though, and not the people who sold skin melting coffee.
Old 12-23-13, 03:43 PM

Why the fuck would anyone want scolding hot anything ? If you cant eat or drink it at the time then it seems a bit redundant dont you think ?
"Can I get some super hot coffee so I can let it cool down enough to drink, please"
I think the logic was:

I'm not so stupid as to assume some cheap disposable cup full of hot liquid is meant to reside between my legs while I drink it, so could you give me a super hot cup of coffee that will sit in a cup holder, and cool to a reasonable temperature in 10 minutes when I get to my destination.

After the lawsuit the biggest change was in the quality of disposable cups. It's still normal for coffee to be served at temperatures that could cause 3rd degree burns.

Last edited by slappypete; 12-23-13 at 03:53 PM.
Old 12-23-13, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I thought the consensus on this forum was that anyone who eats at McDonalds deserves to have molten coffee poured all over their genitalia.
Old 12-23-13, 04:00 PM

I'm too lazy to look it up, but I think I remember reading that she was wearing sweatpants, and that contributed significantly to the burns since the material was designed to absorb liquid.
Old 12-23-13, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The coffee was so hot that the burns fused parts of her vagina together. She didn't get enough money.
Old 12-23-13, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

2.7mil is a joke compared to what she has to live with and endure for the eternity of her living life.
Old 12-23-13, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I recommend the Hot Coffee documentary.
Old 12-23-13, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by van der graaf View Post
Right. And a jury pool and entire court system agreed with your nuanced and well formulated argument....
Good to know you're finally onboard with your support of the Zimmerman verdict.
Old 12-23-13, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by antspawn View Post
2.7mil is a joke compared to what she has to live with and endure for the eternity of her living life.
It was a punitive settlement. Someone had to get the money, might as well be the person bringing it up
Old 12-23-13, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Shoveler View Post
DAGNABIT!

Old 12-23-13, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by Shoveler View Post
heh? My point is he set it up like there was no argument to it, it was close and shut, that was that...clearly, a jury felt differently...as far as good ol' piece of shit Georgie, I am not a fan of the verdict, but I certainly understand why the jury came to the conclusion they did given the entire context of what he was being prosecuted under....So, again, heh? One has nothing to do with the other...
Old 12-24-13, 02:41 AM

1. She's dead, and has been for nearly ten years.
2. The judge dropped the amount to less than a quarter of that 2.7 million.
Old 12-24-13, 04:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Actually, no she should not have won.

She spilled the coffee on herself. Really that should be it.

Mcdonalds did not serve coffee "to hot" or hotter than other places

She spilled hot coffee on herself. Why would McDonalds "settle" for any amount? Yes, McDonalds had settled other cases. But only those that had employee involvement in the spilling. Never when a person solely spilt coffee on themselves. Or should the threat of lawsuit alway force a settlement? Even if nothing wrong?

Guilt should be based on fault, not damage. If I drop a 2 lb weight on my toe and bruise it, or drop a 50 lb dumbbell on it and crush, it doesn't change the fact that I was the one that dropped it. The weight of the item or damage didn't change fault.

Punitive damaged were also figured by the jury based on coffee sales? Seriously? Punitive damages are designed to punish wrong doing. No punish being successful. That just just silliness.

In 10 years they had 700 reports of people being burned. If true, how many cups of coffee were sold in those 10 years? So being conservative, you had a better chance of being hit by lightening than burned by McDonalds coffee that you bought. This should have been a defense and prove there is not an issue.

The reason she was burned so badly is she was wearing cotton warm up pants that held the coffee next to her skin. Couldnt the pant manufacture have foreseen someone might spill coffee on themselves? Shouldn't she have sued them as well? Shouldn't they make pants that protect against such things?

She spilled the coffee on herself! I feel terrible that she was hurt so badly. But that doesn't change the fault. Just like if a person in a car take a corner to fast, has a wreck and it hurt. Or should car makers restrict how fast cars can go foreseeing some might do that?

Last edited by Sdallnct; 12-24-13 at 04:22 AM.
Old 12-24-13, 07:47 AM
RIP

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Dumb bitch. Should've ordered a cold beer and this never would have happened.
Old 12-24-13, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 97 Likes on 72 Posts

Timely thread.

Off to check out the Batteries Not Included thread in MovieTalk now.
Old 12-24-13, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
She didn't sue because it spilled. She sued because when she spilled it, it was so hot that it caused serious damage.
The coffee was drinkable.

And sure McDonalds could serve only ice coffee. Or only luke warm coffee. But to say coffee shouldn't be served that hot (even though billions of cups of that hot coffee are served because people want it that hot) in case you use it incorrectly (spill it on yourself) seems odd. Should a kitchen knife not be "too" sharp incase you accident cut yourself? I mean is it reasonable a knife can cut you to need a bandaid, but not stitches? Or an oven get too hot because you might grab a pan with no towel.

The relative hotness of coffee (a product in and of itself known for being hot) should be a market issue. If its so hot you can't drink it for 10 min, I'm guessing people will stop buying it or ask for ice with it (which would send a message).

As for why she sued, had she not spilled the coffee she would not have sued. It was the cause, the direct cause of her damage.
Old 12-24-13, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
You don't think that the hotter the coffee, the more serious the burns?

There is a difference between "my this is a little hot" to "holy shit the flesh is falling off my leg", isn't there?
Yes. But normal coffee will burn you. Coffee is hot. She CHOSE to put hot coffee between her legs.
Old 12-24-13, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What if it happened to your mother? Or Daughter? Or Wife? Or Boyfriend? lol

Would you happily say "well honey, you had the coffee in your lap so deal with the consequences of 3rd degree burns".
If any of my relations were stupid enough to do that, of course I would support them. But I would tell them in no uncertain terms that this was their fault.
Old 12-24-13, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Would it still be her dumbass fault for drinking the coffee ?
Yes it would.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.