DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Other Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk-9/)
-   -   Anyone have a "tankless" water heater? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk/616053-anyone-have-tankless-water-heater.html)

JimRochester 12-17-13 02:45 PM

Anyone have a "tankless" water heater?

I was just about ready to bite the bullet on a tankless heater when I read a couple articles, including Consumer Reports that does not recommend them. Anyone have any first hand knowledge?

Deftones 12-17-13 02:49 PM

Re: Anyone have a "tankless" water heater?

nope. but i have one of these: http://www.lowes.com/Search=ge+hybri...+water+heater#!

in the summer it was saving us $40 a month in electricity costs. in the winter, not much of savings since it pulls heat from the air. maybe a few bucks per month. over a year, it should save us about $300 or so. the break even point will be about 2 years due to the increased cost over a traditional electric heater, and from there, the savings are in our pocket.

Rob V 12-17-13 02:54 PM

I don't have one - yet. My buddy does and loves it. Do you have a link to the CR article? I'm somewhat close to pulling the trigger but have yet to do any real deep research.

Th0r S1mpson 12-17-13 02:58 PM

I had one but we didn't have any more hot water so I attached the tank again.

CRM114 12-17-13 03:04 PM

No, but I want one too. Get one and let us know how it goes.

GoldenJCJ 12-17-13 03:07 PM

No, my water heater appreciates everything I do for it.

JimRochester 12-17-13 03:46 PM

Consumer Reports

Article is from 2008

Lt Ripley 12-17-13 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ (Post 11948597)
No, my water heater appreciates everything I do for it.

Damn you.;) Was about to post about my water heater never getting any tanks.

cungar 12-17-13 04:10 PM

Bottom line I got from that article which would make it a no way for me.

But because they cost much more than storage water heaters, it can take up to 22 years to break even—longer than the 20-year life of many models.

nemein 12-17-13 04:13 PM

Got one (Rinnai, don't recall the model though) when got the new house so unfortunately I don't have any comparison data as to what the total cost was before/now. Overall I like it though. I was warned that occasionally you get a "slug" (a blast of cold water) but even that hasn't been too problematic.

danwiz 12-17-13 07:21 PM

Here in Japan virtually everybody uses them. Here in our apt. we have one in the kitchen (for the kitchen sink) and one in the bathroom - for showering, filling the tub and so on. They both work fine, but of course the hotter that you want the water, then the less volume you get per minute. Now it's winter here so the bathroom one is just putting out enough comfortably hot water to be able to shower slowly. In the summer when the water is warmer, then we can turn the volume up to full and the temperature down to minimum.

Oh, both of the ones in our apt are natural gas fired.

When I return to the USA I want one!

DVD Polizei 12-17-13 08:21 PM

But because they cost much more than storage water heaters, it can take up to 22 years to break even—longer than the 20-year life of many models.
So, CR is saying an average tankless water heater is $5,000? Once again, I'm questioning Consumer Reports.

Jeremy517 12-17-13 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei (Post 11948919)
So, CR is saying an average tankless water heater is $5,000? Once again, I'm questioning Consumer Reports.

They might have been five years ago when that article was written. They are nowhere near that now.

Josh-da-man 12-17-13 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by JimRochester (Post 11948554)
I was just about ready to bite the bullet on a tankless heater when I read a couple articles, including Consumer Reports that does not recommend them. Anyone have any first hand knowledge?

You got the idea from Walter on Breaking Bad, didn't you?

JimRochester 12-18-13 05:57 AM

Installed they run 2 - 3000

Rob V 12-18-13 08:38 AM

^^ Not sure where you got that but again, my buddy paid $1500 installed for the largest they offer.

CRM114 12-18-13 09:09 AM

I think if you don't like running out of hot water (like you have teenagers that use all the hot water), these are attractive. I have a giant jacuzzi tub that completely drains the water heater. I like unlimited hot water. When my tank goes bad, I'm getting one of those Rinnai units.

Abob Teff 12-18-13 09:18 AM

I didn't read the CR article, but keep in mind it is five years old. Technology has vastly improved and costs have dramatically dropped since then. You should see if your utility company offers any incentives or rebates for this energy efficiency upgrade. Check with your tax professional (or look into it if you do your own, like me) to see if there are still tax credits available as well.

That said, I do energy efficiency presentations on a regular basis. While I do not have any direct experience, I have spoken with many people who do. I have heard mixed reviews. This is always tough because you aren't sure if somebody may have installed it improperly or had unrealistic expectations, or if their beef is legitimate. I know many older folks don't like geothermal heating because they are accustomed to feeling warm air blowing from their old forced-air system. Does that mean the geothermal is less efficient or problematic? No.

One thing I have noticed is something Danwiz mentioned about Japan ... People who use "spot water heaters" seem to have better experiences. These are actually smaller individual heaters you place at the point of use (i.e., on each sink and shower) rather than one central heater. With a central heater you still have to force the hot water through (initially) cold pipes. This is why it seems like it takes a moment to heat up. It also ensures you aren't trying to pump through more than the heater can generate. Again, people typically buy the least expensive one, not necessarily the one they need for their demands (think furnaces).

DVD Polizei 12-18-13 09:50 AM

That would make more sense as you use certain areas more than others. The kitchen sink/dishwasher, bathtub/shower areas.

Seems like a good idea to me.

TomOpus 12-18-13 10:11 AM

Here's an older thread that might (or might not) have good information (except for prices).

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk/...er-heater.html

Rob V 12-18-13 02:30 PM

This recent article really shits all over tankless. You gotta wonder what CR's agenda is here...

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/w...ying-guide.htm

I've never been a big advocate of Consumer Reports and this article isn't helping me lean their way.

JimRochester 12-18-13 02:38 PM

My sister-in-law has one and she did say that sometimes you have to run the unit a couple minutes before you get the hot water. At least to the upstairs.

I got the prices from what I've read and what I heard from local plumbers.

mndtrp 12-18-13 02:45 PM

As far as I can tell, the tankless heaters raise the temperature about 40 degrees. During winter in Colorado, I'm not sure how cold the water coming into the house is, but it feels pretty dang cold.

One thing I've noticed is you don't need to have a straight exhaust pipe from the heater through the roof any more. That was one of the main things that kept me from looking into them 5 or 6 years ago.

DaveNinja 12-18-13 04:40 PM

Dont you have to descale them once a year or something?

I ended up getting the GE that Deftones posted a link to when I replaced my water heater. I didnt have a gas line to where the water heater was so i stayed electric and installed the water heater myself. Its nice because it does cool off the garage (and use less electricity) in the summer

Th0r S1mpson 12-18-13 04:48 PM

Been thinking of one of these myself... it would be nice to get answers to the above points brought up. Maybe there are units that are better at these issues than others, and maybe some of these issues are only with older models?

1) How long to get the water hot. A couple minutes to wash your hands in warm water would seem unacceptable, as well as it taking that long to get hot water to appliances.

2) How hot? If you can only get the water "warm" in the winter, that too would seem unacceptable.

Like CRM, we can barely fill a tub with hot water and unlimited supply would be nice. But not if the above two points are to be expected from these units?