Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone have a "tankless" water heater?

Other Talk "Otterville"

Anyone have a "tankless" water heater?

Old 12-18-13, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 579 Likes on 409 Posts
Re: Anyone have a "tankless" water heater?

Originally Posted by JimRochester View Post
My sister-in-law has one and she did say that sometimes you have to run the unit a couple minutes before you get the hot water. At least to the upstairs.

I got the prices from what I've read and what I heard from local plumbers.

This is more likely a result of the "run" (distance from the water heater to the point of use) than the water heater itself. If you have this problem (regardless of whether you have a tank or tankless) try wrapping any exposed pipes with insulated wrap. It won't completely solve the problem, but it will help.
Old 12-21-13, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 182 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by Th0r S1mpson View Post
Been thinking of one of these myself... it would be nice to get answers to the above points brought up. Maybe there are units that are better at these issues than others, and maybe some of these issues are only with older models?

1) How long to get the water hot. A couple minutes to wash your hands in warm water would seem unacceptable, as well as it taking that long to get hot water to appliances.

2) How hot? If you can only get the water "warm" in the winter, that too would seem unacceptable.

Like CRM, we can barely fill a tub with hot water and unlimited supply would be nice. But not if the above two points are to be expected from these units?
The idea is that it is "instant" hot. Which is true. However, there can be a slight delay on that water getting to you. Meaning if the unit is on the other side of the house, the unit can't heat the water already in the pipes between it an you. But once that is flushed, it should be hot. Which should be much less than "a few minutes".

I have no idea on "how hot". But I've read nothing that it was less than a tank system.

The reason is saves is because unlike a tank it doesn't need to heat water your not using. It only heats water you use.

I too have been looking. Not for any savings, but for the limitless aspect of it. I need to get an estimate. But knowing a bit about roofing and such, I'm afraid redoing the venting would be as much as the unit itself.
Old 12-22-13, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you're going from a gas tank to tankless, be aware that you may need larger supply and exhaust lines than what you already have, upping the cost a bit. That bit a friend of mine who was upgrading.
Old 12-22-13, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, I heard that. That's partly why the cost is so much. Unlike the tank where they just swap out the tanks, this requires quite a bit of work. I've replaced standard tanks before and they are pretty easy, just heavy. Put in place and solder the lines. I looked at the rapid recovery type tanks as well. They are still a tank but are two stage for a higher rate of recovery. The purchase price is about the same as the tankless, they just don't need all the plumbing changed.