Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Stuff Your Kids Ruined (or You Ruined as a Kid)

Old 11-22-18, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Stuff Your Kids Ruined (or You Ruined as a Kid)

Originally Posted by Mrs. Danger View Post
How does painting black light stars all over your room "ruin" it?
I don't know, but my old man bitched plenty about having to repaint when I moved out.
Old 11-22-18, 12:23 PM

About a year ago my son spilled milk on our laptop PC keyboard. I opened it up and cleaned everything as best I could. It took a little drying-out time before it would boot again. A few keys on the keyboard didn't work. While it would run off the battery or AC, it wouldn't charge the battery.

Kids and electronics don't always mix, so I had anticipated that kind of problem. When I bought it, I chose to go with a cheaper lower/mid-level system than the more powerful, and expensive, laptop I really wanted.
Old 11-22-18, 01:09 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Me: I was at my aunt's house, playing minesweeper on their computer, trying to get a high score. I was doing good, but not great. For some reason, I decided to open the .exe file in notepad, and scrolling through the jumbled mess, there was some real text in there, showing the high scores and the names of who got them. Well... thinking this was obviously very easy, I changed the high scores to random numbers and put my name in for each of them, and saved it. Minesweeper stopped working entirely (of course ), so I tried to "fix" it, but of course that didn't work either. Since I never backed up the file first, it was impossible to ever run Minesweeper again. A few weeks later, when I visited again, my uncle was complaining about how the damn computer wasn't working properly anymore because he couldn't play the game. OOPS!
Old 11-22-18, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by andicus View Post

When was away at university, my wife had my speakers at her apartment, and my young son pushed in the dust caps on the woofers. I was furious, but a little work with a vacuum popped them back out.
Oh man, that was another thing I was worried about but thankfully never happened. However, I did often find all kinds of toys and crap shoved into the hole in the front of my subwoofer.
Old 11-22-18, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

When they were little kids my grandpa accidently poked his sister's eye out with a stick. She wore an eye patch her whole life.
Old 11-22-18, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I didn’t ruin anything too major that I remember other than a few of my dad’s old toys. I think they were maybe Mego’s. He had a Scotty from Star Trek and a Batman that I broke. I think the joints were held together with rubber bands or something weird and they weren’t very flexible. There probably were other things that I broke but those stand out as things I felt bad about.
Old 11-22-18, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by cultshock View Post
Oh man, that was another thing I was worried about but thankfully never happened. However, I did often find all kinds of toys and crap shoved into the hole in the front of my subwoofer.
Next time I'm at his house, I'm going to push in the dust covers on his speakers.
Old 02-11-19, 04:46 PM

My 4-year-old and I were wrestling around yesterday afternoon and she farted in my face and laughed and laughed and went to tell her sister what happened, to which her sister laughed and laughed while I laid there in a cloud of fart that ruined my face. This is my life.
Old 02-11-19, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Based on the amount of times + velocity of the assaults...I'm pretty sure my son has ruined my balls in terms of making any new babies. No way they will survive anymore kicks, stomps, or knee assaults...

I'm in some Father groups and based on this being a very common thing that happens to Father via babies/toddlers I'm starting to believe "ball bashing" is in fact an evolutionary adaption that human offspring do to insure their own survival but making the father sterile.
Old 02-11-19, 05:20 PM

When I was about 11 years old in 1980, my dad bought an Apple ][+, with a whopping 48K of RAM, later expanded to 64KB.

On this computer, there was no way in software to detect whether the shift key was being pressed. There was a popular mod involving soldering a wire to a spot on the keyboard controller and attaching the other end of the wire to an unused pin on the joystick connector. I had never soldered anything in my life, but I wasn't going to let that stop me! I ended up trashing the keyboard controller board and I think it cost my dad about $300 for a new one.
Old 02-12-19, 07:56 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

I guess the following story would count. Show-and-tell day in second grade, girl I had a crush on brought in something from the jewelry store. All the items were kept on a table in the back of the room and kids could examine them at our leisure throughout the day. I looked at her item, a card with facts about diamonds. As I’m reading it, I noticed a little something was stuck to the card. I thought it was a little booger or something someone with dirty hands had left on the card. Being chivalrous and all, I flicked it off the card to defend my girl’s honor.

Later that day, a scream rings out from the back of the room. ‘The diamond is gone! The diamond is gone!” Apparently I had flicked a little sample diamond off the card. Accusations rang throughout the classroom, someone shouting, “I think I saw Trevor with it last.”

I denied everything and never talked to that girl again.
Old 02-12-19, 08:36 AM

I used to pull house plants up to see the roots all the time when I was 5ish as my parents had a nice wooden headboard so I took it upon myself to etch my drawings into it with a screwdriver.
Old 02-12-19, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Trevor’s tale of inadvertant jewelry theft at school reminds me of something I did in grade school.

There was a 6v lantern battery in the back of the classroom for a science experiment. I went to the back of the room to sharpen my pencil or something, and I nudged the battery and noticed that there was a loose wire hanging from one of the terminals. Thinking I had dislodged a wire when I bumped the battery, I hooked the loose end of the wire up to the other terminal.

The next day, my teacher threw a hissy fit because someone had intentionally ruined the battery by joining the terminals and wanted to know who did it.

Nobody saw me do it, or if they did they didn’t rat me out, and I didn’t volunteer any information, either. It was an innocent mistake, done without malice. For all I know, someone else might have done it first, and I knocked the wire loose before reataching it myself.
Old 02-12-19, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

One of my son's is a destroyer of all things electronic. To date he's killed his brother's desktop PC by knocking it off a desk, his brother's smartphone by throwing it down the stairs, ruined the charging port on his mom's ipod touch, destroyed his tablet by pouring water on it, pulled off all the keys from one of my work laptops and has ruined several remote controls.

As a teen I managed to crash two of my cars and destroyed the engine on my mom's truck by driving it with a broken radiator hose.
Old 02-12-19, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by funkyryno View Post
One of my son's is a destroyer of all things electronic. To date he's killed his brother's desktop PC by knocking it off a desk, his brother's smartphone by throwing it down the stairs, ruined the charging port on his mom's ipod touch, destroyed his tablet by pouring water on it, pulled off all the keys from one of my work laptops and has ruined several remote controls.

As a teen I managed to crash two of my cars and destroyed the engine on my mom's truck by driving it with a broken radiator hose.
I almost don't want to ask, but how old is this destroyer?
Old 02-12-19, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by andicus View Post
I almost don't want to ask, but how old is this destroyer?
He's 8 now, and he's started to get a little better. I now feel somewhat confident letting him play my Xbox unsupervised, as long as his brother isn't present (a lot of the electronics get ruined when they fight).
Old 02-12-19, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Heh, that reminds me, when my son was little (around four years old), we used to let him play with my wife's old laptop (still working). He was always very careful with it, and it made a big impact on him, 10 years later he's a total computer freak. Then my daughter came along and we let her use that laptop at the same age and she promptly starting pulling off half of the keys.
Old 02-13-19, 05:15 PM

Now I know why kids are so expensive (and annoying!). I ruined my share of things as a child, but it was all in the name of science and :experimentation". And I've more than made up for it by becoming a real scientist in the meantime.. No fancy computers or other electronics. Though I'm sure I almost "fried" my Atari 2600 to death trying to intentionally get it to malfunction. I was old enough to know better, but it was 1977 and times were different.