Going back to school at age 40

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion and Politics

Old 10-16-13, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So, at age 40 I'm going to be juggling:

1. A full time career where I often travel and work late and where I currently have 37 people who report to me
2. 2 kids in the middle of their formative years (they're tough to actually juggle)
3. A patient but human wife (skinny but also tough to juggle)
4. Being a homeowner and all the little tasks that go along with that

and now I'm adding...
5. part time grad school, starting in January, in the middle of downtown Chicago on weeknights

I won a scholarship which is paying for it entirely, a major reason for me deciding to go back to school.

My triathlon and cycling obsessions are probably out the window for several years. As is any semblance of a social life. And my tragic internet addiction (probably not a bad thing).

Anyone else trying to do this? Am I insane?
Old 10-16-13, 02:26 PM
RIP

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Re: Going back to school at age 40

Go here:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk/...s-suicide.html

Click the third poll choice.
Old 10-16-13, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

You'll be fine. Billy Madison did it. Just watch out for the asshole from 'West Wing'.
Old 10-16-13, 02:29 PM

You are insane, but I wish you luck. I think that is awesome!
Old 10-16-13, 02:32 PM
Admin

Received 128 Likes on 78 Posts

Good luck. You're a braver man than I.
Old 10-16-13, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I went to grad school in my late 20s and before children. I did have a full time job though. Don't envy you. THe kids and the traveling/late nights are going to be an issue unless it's a half-assed program. I'd wait if I were you.

Is anyone here a lawyer? Is it possible to get a law degree at 45? I'm thinking about some sort of career change.
Old 10-16-13, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts

How skinny is your wife? Are we talking thigh gap skinny?

But seriously, I know people who who have pulled this off with flying colors. The thought of trying to do it myself gives me nightmares.

If movies have taught me anything, it will be a crazy, drunken adventure!
Old 10-16-13, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 90 Likes on 62 Posts

Good luck dealing with burnout. At age 40, one has more maturity, but less *stamina* than he does at 20. If / when you do this, eat well and keep up your health, at the expense of all else!
Old 10-16-13, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
Is anyone here a lawyer? Is it possible to get a law degree at 45? I'm thinking about some sort of career change.
Absolutely, but it's reaaly a shitty time (in general, not with respect to your age) to get a law degree, vis-a-vis your future job prospects.
Old 10-16-13, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Absolutely, but it's reaaly a shitty time (in general, not with respect to your age) to get a law degree, vis-a-vis your future job prospects.
Not to hijack the thread but...

How so? Do you just go to law school or do you have to have some relevant undergraduate work?
Old 10-16-13, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_School_Admission_Test
Old 10-16-13, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Hiro11 View Post
So, at age 40 I'm going to be juggling
Clown school? Cool.

Old 10-16-13, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 10-16-13, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Going to grad school part time with a full time job and no kids or spouse was hard enough. I imagine it depends on the field of study, but I found that part time grad school was similar to full time undergrad in terms of workload.

Good luck. You're going to need it.
Old 10-16-13, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

wmlopez wants to know why you would risk going to downtown Chicago.
Old 10-16-13, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 78 Likes on 61 Posts

You're not insane. I envy your zeal and determination.
Old 10-16-13, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Their are some sadistic fraternities so I would avoid pledging if you want to protect your cornhole. Also 80s movies are wrong Deans are pretty reasonable normal people.
Old 10-17-13, 12:22 AM

Received 160 Likes on 101 Posts

My situation is not exactly your situation, but I'll give you some unasked for advice, anyway.

My context: I met my wife while I was in the middle of grad school, we got married right after I graduated, and a year later I entered school for a final degree (three seems like plenty!). We now have a two-year-old and another on the way. I'm in my mid-30s and working full-time while wrapping up my final year of school (full-time this fall, super-duper part-time this spring).

- Expect your ability to commit to everything to change. You will still be committed to your family and your work and your school but you will also come to learn what is truly primary in each of those areas of your life, what is most important. Some of the stuff at work that seemed like a big deal end up being a big time suck that can be delegated or transformed or dropped. The "quality vs. quantity" debate with family time will come up, too. It will take trial and error.

- Give your spouse a road map to your studies. Show here where you anticipate busier semesters to be and where it may be lighter. Be honest about what you think is more firm and what is more flexible and that ultimately you could be wrong. Helping her know when school will require more focus and keeping her in the loop through transparency will really help your relationship. Doing some future planning together will help her feel involved and as though school is not the dictator, it's a thing to approach together.

- Do not complain about school to your wife. She is your sounding board for a lot of stuff in your life but not this. School will cause stress in your marriage and your family. Asking her to listen to your frustrations with school when school is also frustrating her simply doesn't work. Trust me, I know. Find another sounding board for this, someone you trust.

- If you can afford (in terms of time and money) to do a heavier semester and then a lighter semester in an alternating manner, give it a shot. It can offer hope around the corner for your family to know there are times when dad is more available and time when you'll dive in and they know you are and embrace it, a sort of "Once more unto the breach, dear friends" mentality.

- More and more grad classes are asking for some work (particularly reading) to be done pre-semester so be prepared for that. Most profs will email you but some will expect you to check in on whatever intranet system they use (d2L, blackboard, etc.) to learn about this. Something to keep in mind to budget your time and your money for textbooks (i.e. you may need the books before the financial aid checks arrive).

- Speaking of which, financial aid remainders usually don't come in until after a month or so of the fall semester so don't expect it day one. More like day ten or day thirty, depending on the institution.

- Don't be afraid to transfer. I have had to transfer during this degree and it is challenging. People will make it their business to know why you did it and you get to deal with finding polite ways to give honest-but-non-answers that say "None of your business." And all institutions have issues so you're trading more not-so-great stuff for better stuff that will also have at least some not-so-great stuff. And yet, if an institution isn't working for you, it's okay to find one that works. Just make sure you know how many credits you need at your new institution (usually at least half).

- Finally, I wish I could remember where I read this but here's something I learned when I was working in higher education and have continued to pass it along to students, particularly non-traditional students: You will know everything about your academic career by the end of week six. By that time, you'll have established all of your patterns for the remainder of your degree program: who you socialize with, who you eat with, whether you spend much time on campus, where you study, when you study, if you study, and on. At week six, do some self-examining of your academic habits. If it's working, keep at it! If it makes you nervous, it's time to work on making some change.

Good luck, you'll do great!
Old 10-17-13, 02:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

I started my Master's program when I was 42. It was crazy stressful and I am so glad it's over. For a couple years, I'd go to class and clinic all day, come home with a pizza for the kids, then go back to the clinic to study until midnight or so. It absolutely sucked. Since your program allows part time work, I think you can keep things more even and balanced than I did.

My age worked both for and against me. On the the plus side, I'm convinced those of us over 35 or so learned more in high school (for whatever reason). I thought it helped to be older in clinic, too--I had more experience with kids and was able to relate to my older patients better than most of my 20-something cohort. Downside is, as someone mentioned, stamina. I was really hurting, especially once we had to start our thesis type project.
Old 10-17-13, 03:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 87 Likes on 68 Posts

My fiancée is in her mid-40s and almost finished with her third Bachelors. A lot of our time together is directly tied into her school workload. Every now and then we'll get a Saturday to do stuff. Weekdays and Sundays are always dedicated to school.

But she doesn't have half of the other stuff you have to juggle. Since you already travel and work late nights a lot, adding school at night means everything dealing with the house and kids will all fall onto your wife. Hopefully she's as good a juggler as you are.

Good luck!
Old 10-17-13, 04:48 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was 30 when I went back to school four years ago. I will be graduating at age 35 in May with a bachelor's degree in Accounting.

I definitely felt like I took my work more seriously than the average student since I was older and more mature. Also at times I felt very old and out of place since I was constantly surrounded by 18-22 year old students.
Old 10-17-13, 05:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just to clarify a couple of things: the scholarship I won covers 100% of the cost of school but I had to start by January. Also, I'm being sponsored by work, so they will accommodate my school schedule. I have teams on the west coast and southwest that report to me, looks like lots of video conferencing for the next few years...

My wife is stay at home, so no scheduling conflicts there. She runs her own business out of our house.

Basically this was something I had been thinking about doing for years and when the opportunity presented itself, I jumped at it. This is probably the last point in my life and career where it makes any sense... Also, I needed a major change in my life, inertia was setting in...
Old 10-17-13, 06:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Reading this makes me so glad I got my Masters in my 20's. I just bought a new house and have been swamped between work, kids and unpacking... school would be unbearable.
Old 10-17-13, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I did my graduate studies in history at age 34-36. It was also a situation where my employer paid for 100% (even though it was an unrelated field of study---policy was changed not long after ) It was actually a very nice experience. I somewhat coasted during my undergrad years, and graduated with a "B" average--I always kind of regretted not focusing more. Even though I was also working a full-time job during grad school, as an adult I took it more seriously and put in a better effort--and got a lot better grades (at a tougher school).
Old 10-17-13, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Well its funny, but just 10 minutes ago my boss told me that he wants me to do a Science degree at Hopkins. The University i work for will pay for everything, all i gotta do is the hard work involved. So count me in.

I am not in as bad a situation as you. I turn 40 next week. Am getting married in April. Will have a step daughter. Work a lot. But the thing is that i am actually looking forward to it. I have been itching to get back into education since i finished University in the UK about 15 years ago.

I am seeing it as just another thing to juggle in life. It sounds like you are an organized guy and i am sure you will fit it in fine. Just gotta eliminate or cut back on some things for a while.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.