Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Nickdawgy Visits Another Car Dealer... But This Time, His Brother-In-Law Is Buying

Other Talk "Otterville"

Nickdawgy Visits Another Car Dealer... But This Time, His Brother-In-Law Is Buying

Old 10-28-13, 04:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 145 Likes on 99 Posts
Re: Nickdawgy Visits Another Car Dealer... But This Time, His Brother-In-Law Is Buyin

Only if you keep posting. You're like the new Arpeggi.
Old 10-28-13, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Nickdawgy Visits Another Car Dealer... But This Time, His Brother-In-Law Is Buyin

Originally Posted by nickdawgy View Post
Well I went with him today and talked to another finance manager. The new contract was through a different bank and actually lower. They lowered the price of the car by $1,500 and everything else went down. The amount financed, the interest rate, and the finance charges. Also the payment went down another $35 a month.

I was pleasantly surprised. For once.
This whole thing is so dodgy it doesn't even make sense. If it wasn't for the car price drop I'd just say "OK. They got you a better rate on a car to "lower the payments" but still are dicking you on the overpriced warranty. Typical car sales tactics. But the car price drop doesn't make sense then.
Old 10-28-13, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 138 Likes on 102 Posts

Well I went with him today and talked to another finance manager. The new contract was through a different bank and actually lower. They lowered the price of the car by $1,500 and everything else went down. The amount financed, the interest rate, and the finance charges. Also the payment went down another $35 a month.

Are you sure they didn't extend the paymets for another year?
Old 10-28-13, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by d2cheer View Post
Agreed, all of this playing around with the payment seems a little fishy. It's why you decide first on the price of the car rather than talking payments. Suddenly they decided to cut $1500 off the price of the car?
Old 10-28-13, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by GreenMonkey View Post
It's not easier to buy new than used with bad credit. I've certainly never heard that. A car depreciates the fastest in the first 2 years - that's exactly the time in which a bank doesn't want to loan you money on it.
Just because you haven't heard doesn't mean it's not true. I can only speak on my dealership and my experience selling cars, but it's always been easier to get approved on new than used with Ford.
Old 10-28-13, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Something isn't right there at all. I've had people once in a blue moon come in a week later to re-sign, but never a month later. Somebody goofed on something. Maybe they had the wrong VIN number on the first deal. Something had to be wrong on their end to have him re-sign with a better deal.

Either way there's way too many red flags going on at this dealer.
Old 11-01-13, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by d2cheer View Post
First thing I thought of and checked when we got there, but it was still 72 months. The reason they gave for the lowering of the price is his income wasn't verified right or showed lower, so instead of asking for an additional down payment, they lowered the price of the car.

Originally Posted by DarthVong View Post
Something isn't right there at all. I've had people once in a blue moon come in a week later to re-sign, but never a month later. Somebody goofed on something. Maybe they had the wrong VIN number on the first deal. Something had to be wrong on their end to have him re-sign with a better deal.

Either way there's way too many red flags going on at this dealer.
I'm not sure. In fact today, I asked about the $634 they promised him last week and they claimed they did him a favor by lowering the price of the car and aren't going to honor the $634 now.

Meanwhile, they kept pressuring him to give all tens on the survey, which he did in exchange for a free tank of gas. I called them today and said we were coming down to cancel the warranty and security again and suddenly they want to offer things again.

I mean at this point the warranty and security should just be canceled all together, right? Unless they offer like $1,500 or something? Even then the interest on the charges will be more in the long run.
Old 11-01-13, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 549 Likes on 397 Posts

the longer you let this go, the less chance you have of actually getting what you want. demand it now.
Old 11-01-13, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Ok I'll go with him to the dealer today.
Old 11-04-13, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 138 Likes on 102 Posts

Well?

I get some sick satisfaction out of reading this...
Old 11-04-13, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Lol. It's okay, it is entertaining. At least I (and him, hopefully) am aware of what is going on now as opposed to the previous times where I was denying it.

Anyhow, the latest update was when he went to the dealer himself, and was told that they no longer can offer him the $634 because they "bent over backward/went to bat/etc" for him by saving a couple of thousand on the price of the car.

I told him we would go today together and see what I can get done. At this point, I am thinking just cancel both the warranty and the security. I was trying to be civil about it, because the salesman was nice, but the sales manager is just underhanded. He's always the guy we talk to, isn't it the fiancé manager that has to cancel this stuff?

Anyhow, I guess they told him they wouldn't give him the money but would still honor the two free oil changes (yippee) and try and hook him up some other way.

You think if we went in there and demanded like $1,000 or we cancel they'd do it or do you think they'd give up and finally stop trying to convince us not to cancel?

The sales manager makes it seem like he's only making a few bucks on the deal, and like the discount off the price of the car is some special thing. Aren't they well in their power to negotiate the sticker price of the car anyway? Plus, I am assuming the warranty is normally what $1,200-$1,500 if that.
Old 11-04-13, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I failed you guys. I went into the dealership with all of the tips and tricks and ended up caving on my first trip to the dealership. I paid sticker for the car (they did give a -$850 credit), but got a really low APR on financing I can pay off early. I'm a first time buyer with ok, but largely nonexistant credit. So when they dropped the APR to 4% I took the bait.

I love the car, 2014 Kia Forte, but I'm definitely wondering if I could have held out longer for a better deal. It's funny, even my training on interrogation techniques didn't mean squat once the manager jumped in.
Old 11-04-13, 04:19 PM
RIP

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

The longer you hold out, the better it is. As tough as it can be to clench those muscles and hold back, the release of waiting is worth it.

However, I can offer you no advice on your car, Navinabob.
Old 11-05-13, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Okay, so here's what happened today. It's a long story so bear with me.

We went into the dealer around 7:30 pm. I see the sales manager, and he promptly greets me like I'm his best friend. Here's a condensed version of the conversation:

Me: So you ready to talk?
Sales Manager: About what?
Me: About our deal we made the other day.
SM: No, I gave you guys $2k off the price of the car.
Me: No, you promised the $634, you never said it was one or the other.
SM: I called you to tell you!
Me: No you didn't (he didn't).
SM: Maybe you never got the call.
Me: Because there wasn't a call.
SM: Whatever.
Me: I'm willing to let bygones be bygones if you honor our deal.
SM: Then I will be losing money, I'll go out of business if I play it like this with everyone.
Me: Don't worry about everyone, worry about me right now. I am trying to give you a chance to help me.
SM: So knocking $2k off the price of the car isn't helping you?
Me: Not when you could have done that in the first place.

At this point, the salesman that sold my BIL the car and another salesman (like the upper salesman, not the sales manager but higher than the regular salesman) join us and sit there eyeing us.

Me: Ok, if you want to play it like that, I want you to go and get the cancelation forms so that he can cancel.

He basically walked away from me at that point, and accused me of irritating him. He was gone for ten minutes, and came back. I asked why he left, he said because he was trying to cool off ()

So he sits down, and tells me he can't get the forms they are locked in the business office. I told him don't even try to play me that way, or else I can call corporate.

SM: Okay well you know it takes 8-12 weeks to process right?
Me: I know it can take a couple of months to appear on the loan as credited, yes.
SM: You know I can go and unfund the car right now.
Me: No you can't.
SM: Oh yes I can.
Me: Do it then, I dare you. In fact you might be doing him a favor.
SM: I'm not going to do it because I don't want to do you any favors.
Me: I thought so.

Then he goes on and on about how him saving me $2k was this great thing, and I need the warranty just in case, and told me I am stuck with the security device since it was paid for whether I install it or not.

He kept saying my sources (you guys and the internet) were wrong about rates, and payments, and all that. He wouldn't tell me how much they paid for the warranty, telling me it's not in my right to see it. Later. he pulled out a book from 2010 that supposedly showed he paid $1,200 for the warranty (which he charged $2,875 for) and claimed that he gave me back more than that already (the $2k discount).

Then he mentioned that he was losing money on this deal. I asked him about the sealant and paint protection they added to the car ($595, and $395 respectively).

SM: That's on all our cars, it's part of the MSRP.
Me: No, it's 100% profit. It's an add-on.
SM: Well it's not 100%.
Me: Okay, so you paid what $20 total.
SM: (Laughing) No, more like $200 per add-on.
Me: Even if that were true, you still made about $600 on it.
SM: I had to pay my employees somehow, you think these guys work for free?

So he goes on and on about losing money, claims the car invoice was the price I paid, claims that the MSRP included his BS add-ons like a $35 iPod cable and $75 trunk net. Then he claimed I'd be paying $200 interest for the products over the life of the loan, and not thousands extra. He also threatened to raise his rate again, and I said you can't do that if I don't resign anything, and he was like "well yeah."

So in the long run, I had him giving me attitude about canceling, his henchmen giving me the stink eye, and laughing under their breath when I mentioned stuff I read online or heard of, and me finally asking to get corporate's number. I said I was going to ask about the security thing being removed.

SM: Well, I'm not 100% certain that it can't be removed. But they don't deal with that anyway.

Then before we left, I said if he wants another chance to work with us, call us, and we might tear up the cancelation paper. He said no, and as we were walking out, asked to give him til Wednesday. I said I'd think about it, and then walked out.

Then I walked back in and said I thought about it, and said I changed my mind I still want to cancel

Oh and he also claimed the bad ratings the dealer got on Yelp aren't true and they are fake unless you pay a fee or some BS like that. Look them up, Rally Hyundai in Palmdale, CA>

But yeah, it was quite an experience.
Old 11-05-13, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 549 Likes on 397 Posts

this is what i was talking about. you needed to do this weeks ago.
Old 11-05-13, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Did it end badly?
Old 11-05-13, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 136 Likes on 110 Posts

Okay, so here's what happened today. It's a long story so bear with me.

We went into the dealer around 7:30 pm. I see the sales manager, and he promptly greets me like I'm his best friend. Here's a condensed version of the conversation:

Me: So you ready to talk?
Sales Manager: About what?
Me: About our deal we made the other day.
SM: No, I gave you guys $2k off the price of the car.
Me: No, you promised the $634, you never said it was one or the other.
SM: I called you to tell you!
Me: No you didn't (he didn't).
SM: Maybe you never got the call.
Me: Because there wasn't a call.
Me: I'm willing to let bygones be bygones if you honor our deal.
SM: Then I will be losing money, I'll go out of business if I play it like this with everyone.
Me: Don't worry about everyone, worry about me right now. I am trying to give you a chance to help me.
SM: So knocking $2k off the price of the car isn't helping you?
Me: Not when you could have done that in the first place.

At this point, the salesman that sold my BIL the car and another salesman (like the upper salesman, not the sales manager but higher than the regular salesman) join us and sit there eyeing us.

Me: Ok, if you want to play it like that, I want you to go and get the cancelation forms so that he can cancel.

He basically walked away from me at that point, and accused me of irritating him. He was gone for ten minutes, and came back. I asked why he left, he said because he was trying to cool off ()

So he sits down, and tells me he can't get the forms they are locked in the business office. I told him don't even try to play me that way, or else I can call corporate.

SM: Okay well you know it takes 8-12 weeks to process right?
Me: I know it can take a couple of months to appear on the loan as credited, yes.
SM: You know I can go and unfund the car right now.
Me: No you can't.
SM: Oh yes I can.
Me: Do it then, I dare you. In fact you might be doing him a favor.
SM: I'm not going to do it because I don't want to do you any favors.
Me: I thought so.

Then he goes on and on about how him saving me $2k was this great thing, and I need the warranty just in case, and told me I am stuck with the security device since it was paid for whether I install it or not.

He kept saying my sources (you guys and the internet) were wrong about rates, and payments, and all that. He wouldn't tell me how much they paid for the warranty, telling me it's not in my right to see it. Later. he pulled out a book from 2010 that supposedly showed he paid $1,200 for the warranty (which he charged $2,875 for) and claimed that he gave me back more than that already (the $2k discount).

Then he mentioned that he was losing money on this deal. I asked him about the sealant and paint protection they added to the car ($595, and $395 respectively).

SM: That's on all our cars, it's part of the MSRP.
Me: No, it's 100% profit. It's an add-on.
SM: Well it's not 100%.
Me: Okay, so you paid what $20 total.
SM: (Laughing) No, more like $200 per add-on.
Me: Even if that were true, you still made about $600 on it.
SM: I had to pay my employees somehow, you think these guys work for free?

So he goes on and on about losing money, claims the car invoice was the price I paid, claims that the MSRP included his BS add-ons like a $35 iPod cable and $75 trunk net. Then he claimed I'd be paying $200 interest for the products over the life of the loan, and not thousands extra. He also threatened to raise his rate again, and I said you can't do that if I don't resign anything, and he was like "well yeah."

So in the long run, I had him giving me attitude about canceling, his henchmen giving me the stink eye, and laughing under their breath when I mentioned stuff I read online or heard of, and me finally asking to get corporate's number. I said I was going to ask about the security thing being removed.

SM: Well, I'm not 100% certain that it can't be removed. But they don't deal with that anyway.

Then before we left, I said if he wants another chance to work with us, call us, and we might tear up the cancelation paper. He said no, and as we were walking out, asked to give him til Wednesday. I said I'd think about it, and then walked out.

Then I walked back in and said I thought about it, and said I changed my mind I still want to cancel

Oh and he also claimed the bad ratings the dealer got on Yelp aren't true and they are fake unless you pay a fee or some BS like that. Look them up, Rally Hyundai in Palmdale, CA>

But yeah, it was quite an experience.

Jesus. Just go to another dealership instead of that fucktard place.
Old 11-05-13, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 76 Likes on 65 Posts

Funny exchange. I wouldn't have put up with as much as you, but it seems like you're having fun.
Old 11-05-13, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I couldn't have done it without the advice from you guys. I wish I'd done it for my cars but I will for the next one.

The funny thing is he kept pretending like I was ripping him off. I told him it's not in our best interests to make sure you're happy. I said you work for us not the other way around.
Old 11-05-13, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is this the only Huyndai dealer in the state? I would go to another and put the dealers in competition with each other..

Don't be afraid to walk away.
Old 11-05-13, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 143 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by Deadman31 View Post
Jesus. Just go to another dealership instead of that fucktard place.
+1<sup><font size="1">1,000,000</font></sup>
Old 11-06-13, 02:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Well he can't go now the deal is done.
Old 11-06-13, 03:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I just bought a new Hyundai. I had financing in place from my credit union before I even contacted anyone (I knew the car I wanted). I emailed 6 different dealerships telling them exactly what I wanted and how much I wanted to pay out the door. The initial wave of emails was from salesmen who all said they couldn't get close with counter offers. I simply emailed them each back saying that I was talking with other dealerships and I was willing to wait. By that night the offers were coming down and one dealer on the other side of the city was coming very close to what I wanted, only he couldn't find the color.

Then the dealership closest to me (Frank Hyundai) told me to forward the other dealer's offer and he would beat it. I did and he said he could beat it (meeting my initial price) and finance me at 0% (my bank gave me 2.9%). The only problem was he couldn't find the color I wanted (harbor gray). I answered back, thank you but I'm sure someone in san Diego will find it. His reply was that he had the car but in the next option package up (I wanted the base model, and that's what the price I offered was for) that came with ABS, larger alloy wheels, hands free blue tooth, satellite, built in mp3 player, heated seats, better interior, and a few other things. He would give it to me for the same price. Needless to say I jumped on the offer and drove off the next day with my new car.

Last edited by DeputyDave; 11-06-13 at 04:09 AM.
Old 11-06-13, 04:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

That's a great story. I hope that I can have one like that for my next car.

What Hyundai did you get? Elantra? Genesis? Sonata? Veloster?
Old 11-06-13, 04:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

That's a great story. I hope that I can have one like that for my next car.

What Hyundai did you get? Elantra? Genesis? Sonata? Veloster?
The Elantra. I got it for $ 17,000 out the door at 0% (72 months but will pay it off in less than 60)

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.