Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Which pop-culture icons are in danger of becoming extinct with each new generation?

Other Talk "Otterville"

Which pop-culture icons are in danger of becoming extinct with each new generation?

Old 09-29-13, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The other day, they were showing the Simpsons episode that spoofed the beginning of The Flintstones. A couple of the neighbor's kids were over and they asked what show was being spoofed.

Then it hit me.

Soon the Flintstones (and The Jetsons) will be unknown entities with the next generations...

Same with:

Mickey Mouse cartoons
Popeye
Thr Beatles or Elvis (to a degree?)

Anything else?
Old 09-29-13, 04:19 PM

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts
Re: Which pop-culture icons are in danger of becoming extinct with each new generatio

There's a new Mickey Mouse cartoon in front of Frozen.
Old 09-29-13, 04:20 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Which pop-culture icons are in danger of becoming extinct with each new generatio

Leisure Suit Larry
Old 09-29-13, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jeffkjoe View Post
Thr Beatles or Elvis (to a degree?)

Anything else?
I don't see the Beatles ever becoming extinct. Every year I have my new freshmen students create a soundtrack to a pretend biopic about each of them, and every year I still get plenty of Beatles, Beach Boys, Queen, and AC/DC songs.

Cool to see some of these classic acts get frequent mentions by 14-year olds, while whatever is hot at the moment--One Direction, Katy Perry--won't ever be mentioned again.
Old 09-29-13, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts

I think that most of the golden age SF writers -- Asimov, Heinlein, Pohl, Sturgeon, Clarke, etc. -- will be pretty much forgotten within the next few decades.

They're all dead and not producing new work, and the current generation of kids and teenagers seemingly have little interest in anything older than last year's iPhone.
Old 09-29-13, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 138 Likes on 101 Posts

That's the nature of pop culture icons. They're unknown to the next generation.

Elton John was a huge hitmaker in the 1970s. But when was the last time you saw him doing something current, like playing on the Oscar awards?
Old 09-29-13, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Nasty, cheap-ass, dirty rock n' roll. Nikki Sixx may have been on to something.
Also, hot rodding / tuning cars. Quater miles, street racing, horsepower, all out, out, out. Kids couldn't care less about cars or car culture.
Old 09-29-13, 05:06 PM
Banned

I remember when that Back to the Future video game came out a few years ago there were a lot of kids on GameFAQs asking if they needed to watch the movies first to understand the game.

There will also come a day when kids won't recognize Luke Skywalker and Darth Vader.
Old 09-29-13, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Old 09-29-13, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Relevant xkcd:

Old 09-29-13, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Does every tiny scrap of pop culture need to be remembered? There's all kinds of things from well before I was born that our society at large remains aware of; The Honeymooners, Frankenstein, The ThingMan novels... I'm not losing any sleep over the idea The Ropers and The Fat Boys may fade into obscurity.
Old 09-29-13, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 166 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by taffer View Post
There will also come a day when kids won't recognize Luke Skywalker and Darth Vader.
Could be true but I don't know about this one. Star Wars has remained pretty relevant in today's culture and I think just about every kid knows the characters. Sure to the younger generation the prequel trilogy may be more popular but I think they'd still recognize characters like Luke and Vader. Plus now with Disney taking the brand over and seemingly ready to pump out as many movies as they can I don't see it dying anytime soon as parents will continue introducing their kids to the classics along with the new stuff.
Old 09-29-13, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
There's a new Mickey Mouse cartoon in front of Frozen.
Who?
Old 09-29-13, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 100 Likes on 90 Posts

Virtually everything from the '50s and '60s is forgotten by mainstream audiences today, even big stars. Almost everything before the 1980s is starting to fade from the cultural memory, including legends like Johnny Carson.

A few older actors still remain in the public consciousness due to more recent work, like Jack Nicholson and Robert De Niro.
Old 09-29-13, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Count Dooku View Post
Sadly, that's the case. I work with people (early 20s) that have no idea who Groucho Marx or the Marx Brothers are. Same with Laurel and Hardy. I weep for anyone who hasn't experienced Duck Soup.
Old 09-29-13, 06:55 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post
Could be true but I don't know about this one. Star Wars has remained pretty relevant in today's culture and I think just about every kid knows the characters. Sure to the younger generation the prequel trilogy may be more popular but I think they'd still recognize characters like Luke and Vader. Plus now with Disney taking the brand over and seemingly ready to pump out as many movies as they can I don't see it dying anytime soon as parents will continue introducing their kids to the classics along with the new stuff.
I meant more long term than short term. Star Wars will still be around for a couple more generations, but after that I doubt it. I can't imagine kids 50 years from now watching the original Star Wars trilogy. It would be like kids today watching the original Dracula movie with Bela Lugosi. It simply doesn't happen.
Old 09-29-13, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by taffer View Post
I meant more long term than short term. Star Wars will still be around for a couple more generations, but after that I doubt it. I can't imagine kids 50 years from now watching the original Star Wars trilogy. It would be like kids today watching the original Dracula movie with Bela Lugosi. It simply doesn't happen.
It will be remade by then
Old 09-29-13, 07:17 PM

Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
Elton John was a huge hitmaker in the 1970s. But when was the last time you saw him doing something current, like playing on the Oscar awards?
Umm, I don't know if my sarcasm detector is broken or something, but he just played on the Emmys last week.
Old 09-29-13, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen View Post
Does every tiny scrap of pop culture need to be remembered? There's all kinds of things from well before I was born that our society at large remains aware of; The Honeymooners, Frankenstein, The ThingMan novels... I'm not losing any sleep over the idea The Ropers and The Fat Boys may fade into obscurity.
You got me on The ThingMan novels.
Old 09-29-13, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by rocket1312 View Post
Umm, I don't know if my sarcasm detector is broken or something, but he just played on the Emmys last week.
Yeah Elton may not be a hitmaker anymore (no one is from that era) but he's an omnipresent presence on awards shows, hosts the biggest Oscar party, is constantly promoting new artists. I can think of a lot less relevant icons from the 70s.
Old 09-29-13, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Mickey Mouse will be around for a while yet, even if most of us are hard pressed to name an actual short that he was in.
Old 09-29-13, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

I don't like it when people from the 80's bring up pop music, like I'm supposed to know it. It had it's time, and it's dead. Radio licensing might keep it playing in the background. But nobody cares. It's like me being offended that a kid doesn't know Ace of Base.

The Beatles, Elvis and Michael Jackson will survive. Disney won't let Mickey Mouse die. Star Wars is getting a new set of movies (and will probably keep expanding).
Old 09-29-13, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 149 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by Bronkster View Post
Sadly, that's the case. I work with people (early 20s) that have no idea who Groucho Marx or the Marx Brothers are. Same with Laurel and Hardy. I weep for anyone who hasn't experienced Duck Soup.
It's up to parents to introduce these classics to their kids if they want new generations to appreciate them. I introduced my four year old and seven year old just last week to the Marx Brothers by having them watch "Duck Soup". They both loved it and wanted to see more. They already love watching the Three Stooges, Laurel and Hardy, old b&w cartoons, etc. A lot of that stuff is timeless with even today's kids if given a chance. I'm happy that my kids enjoy watching those old classics with their dad, I'm going to teach them as much about that stuff that I can. But yeah, I'm afraid they will very likely be in the minority.

I'm sure Disney will keep Mickey Mouse and Star Wars from being forgotten for a long time. They know where their money is coming from.
Old 09-29-13, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

He may not have many shorts anymore, but there's "Mickey Mouse Clubhouse" on the Disney Channel.
Old 09-29-13, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 138 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post
How many kids today know about The Count of Monte Cristo? It was an important part of boyhood for generations, but now it's almost forgotten.

Ditto Ivanhoe, The Three Musketeers, The Last of the Mohicans, and Treasure Island. Popular culture moves on.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.