Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Which pop-culture icons are in danger of becoming extinct with each new generation?

Other Talk "Otterville"

Which pop-culture icons are in danger of becoming extinct with each new generation?

Old 09-30-13, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 69 Likes on 39 Posts
Re: Which pop-culture icons are in danger of becoming extinct with each new generatio

Old 09-30-13, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 149 Likes on 106 Posts
Re: Which pop-culture icons are in danger of becoming extinct with each new generatio

Originally Posted by Talkin2Phil View Post
They especially loved the Groucho mirror scene and were imitating it the rest of the night.
My seven year old absolutely lost it during that scene, he thought it was the funniest thing ever and imitated it for the rest of the night too (with my help).

Originally Posted by wishbone View Post
I went to a local Oktoberfest with a friend and there was a table of people wearing Viking helmets. I think it was a birthday party. Anyway, my friend approached them and yelled, "Spam!" Apparently they did not get the Monty Python reference. I told him that he would have been better off saying, "What's in your wallet?"
To be honest, Monty Python is a bit obscure to the general public, a lot of people from my generation probably wouldn't have gotten the reference either. Don't get me wrong, I love Monty Python, but I'm in the minority there, they are really more of a cult thing. It's not exactly Star Wars, Mickey Mouse or the Beatles.
Old 09-30-13, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah Monty Python has never been as mainstream as we'd like to believe. Honestly I don't care what today's idiot generation of young people choose to forget about. I won't forget about the things I enjoy and that's all that matters. They can stay obsessed with Bieber and the Kardashians all they want.
Old 09-30-13, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 100 Likes on 79 Posts

Howdy Doody
Old 09-30-13, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

In 100 years, people might not even remember Spuds McKenzie.
Old 09-30-13, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 99 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
How many kids today know about The Count of Monte Cristo? It was an important part of boyhood for generations, but now it's almost forgotten.

Ditto Ivanhoe, The Three Musketeers, The Last of the Mohicans, and Treasure Island. Popular culture moves on.
The market moved on from those properties because they only have innate appeal to young boys. Most children's properties these days aren't produced by the big studios unless they have appeal to both genders.

The entire youth culture for boys has gradually been eroded in the past thirty years.
Old 09-30-13, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
The market moved on from those properties because they only have innate appeal to young boys. Most children's properties these days aren't produced by the big studios unless they have appeal to both genders.

The entire youth culture for boys has gradually been eroded in the past thirty years.
So what are the current childrens properties that are popular to both genders?
Old 09-30-13, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus View Post
Howdy Doody
Hey, no scat humor here, this isn't the German forum!
Old 09-30-13, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I don't think it matters if pop-culture icons get forgotten. New ones are born with a new generation as it should be. Most of what we love will go to the grave and get buried with us. Why does that matter? Even if any of this stuff survives, it'll probably not be in the way we know it anyway. We got a new Captain Kirk and the world didn't end. I'd rather see new stuff be created than recreating or hanging on to the past anyway. I don't care if kids are laughing at the Marx Bros. or some new goofy group of comedians, just as long as the kids have something to laugh at.
Old 09-30-13, 02:54 PM
Admin

Received 150 Likes on 93 Posts

Historians will remember some of the pop culture from the most recent decades in the past and this current decade, but yes, the general public will know very little of what went on today.

It's all relative to what affects your life. Most people don't even know much about their own family members from a few generations ago. They just don't have a frame of reference.
Old 09-30-13, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 100 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by rexinnih View Post
Hey, no scat humor here, this isn't the German forum!
See? Already forgotten
Old 09-30-13, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

The Beatles are historical figures, not pop culture. They will be in high school/college text books if not already. There was this thing called the cultural revolution in the 1960s that changed aspects of society forever and The Beatles were a major part of it. When Lennon was shot they interrupted prime time network programming, including the Monday Night football game. They don't do that for pop culture figures.
Old 09-30-13, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by rw2516 View Post
The Beatles are historical figures, not pop culture. They will be in high school/college text books if not already. There was this thing called the cultural revolution in the 1960s that changed aspects of society forever and The Beatles were a major part of it. When Lennon was shot they interrupted prime time network programming, including the Monday Night football game. They don't do that for pop culture figures.
What's Monday Night Football?
Old 09-30-13, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by covenant View Post
I dunno, the Fast and Furious movies are really popular. SEMA is bigger than ever and import tuner cars are what the kids are wrenching on.
Car culture has changed a lot over the last decade. The import scene took off in the late 90s/early 00s but I'm not sure if it is still as strong or not. I've noticed that most of the import shops in my area have closed up over the last few years. A lot of teens that I see today seem to be more obsessed with technology.

I think the problem with cars today is cost. Cool cars are expensive and don't retain their value for shit. Even a Honda Civic today costs nearly 20K and that was usually considered the entry level tuner car. I bought a Mustang in 2002 for 30K. I looked up blue book on it today and a private sale is suggested at $6,700. That's ridiculous because a replacement crate motor would cost close to that.
Old 09-30-13, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

The ones that will more likely live on are those that can be redrawn, recast, repackaged, etc. because they are animated or have a tradition of different actors (like Bond). The OP mentioned Popeye, which is getting an animated film in 2015.

Something like Ernest P. Worrell, which just couldn't be done without Jim Varney, will be lost to future generations.
Old 09-30-13, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 137 Likes on 100 Posts

How did the Beatles change society forever? They wrote good songs, and were an influence in pop music.

Not many people here have read big hit novels of the late 19th century like The Last Days of Pompeii, Uncle Tom's Cabin, and Ben Hur. Even the films made from those books are forgotten by everyone except for the movie aficionados. Forever is a long time.
Old 09-30-13, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I listen to a local Old Time Radio show every Saturday. The audience for the stuff they play is literally dying off. How many people under 30 know about Jack Benny or Bing Crosby? How many under 60 know about Fibber McGee & Molly or Amos & Andy? These folks were once icons, adored by millions.
Old 09-30-13, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Actually, they just announced it during a time-out.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/n73GFvAyIjs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And Howard Cosell is a pop culture icon who will not be widely remembered in a century.
Old 09-30-13, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/vNBAgw5IhKI?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

None of the 20 something's I work with had ever heard this.
Old 09-30-13, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Drexl View Post
Something like Ernest P. Worrell, which just couldn't be done without Jim Varney, will be lost to future generations.
It SHOULDN'T be done without Jim Varney, but that doesn't mean they won't try.

http://www.filmjunk.com/2012/10/16/e...son-of-ernest/
Old 09-30-13, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by parrotheads4 View Post
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/vNBAgw5IhKI?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I still can't watch that without cracking up. One of the single best comedy routines of all time!
Old 09-30-13, 06:30 PM

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by parrotheads4 View Post

Yet, oddly enough, thanks to the internet it's easier to access than it was 20-30 years ago. So, some of these things may disappear...but they're always accessible and can be rediscovered. Unlike, say, vaudeville.
Old 09-30-13, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Obviously guys like Seth Rogen and Jonah Hill are the new Abbott and Costello.
Old 09-30-13, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Once iconic figure Rory Calhoun means nothing to youngsters. Just try and say any new young star looks like a young Rory Calhoun and they will look at you like your talking poppycock.
Old 09-30-13, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23 View Post
Obviously guys like Seth Rogen and Jonah Hill are the new Abbott and Costello.
Surely you can't be serious.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.