Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Which pop-culture icons are in danger of becoming extinct with each new generation?

Other Talk "Otterville"

Which pop-culture icons are in danger of becoming extinct with each new generation?

Old 10-17-13, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Which pop-culture icons are in danger of becoming extinct with each new generatio

Originally Posted by PenguinJoe View Post
One of the all time great musicians and I'm sure no one born post 1980 really knows who he is.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/qDQpZT3GhDg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
It's all a matter of personal taste. If you know Glenn Miller or Cab Calloway, you'll know Duke Ellington. You may not care for that kind of "big band" sound, but it doesn't mean you're ignorant to their existence.
Old 10-17-13, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Which pop-culture icons are in danger of becoming extinct with each new generatio

Originally Posted by inri222 View Post
I can't believe there was a time I was so young and naive I had no idea he was gay.
Old 10-17-13, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Buttmunker View Post
Speaking of your picture, fathers having barbeques in their backyards with their business suits on is gone from the pop-culture.
Did this really happen? The suit would get all smokey.
Old 10-17-13, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by cungar View Post
I can't believe there was a time I was so young and naive I had no idea he was gay.
We just thought he was funny.

This is minor but with the discussions of vocabulary and sayings; when we were younger they were dungarees not jeans. Then it was jeans for ladies and not men, then they became jeans and dungarees was dropped altogether.
Old 10-17-13, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by JimRochester View Post
This is minor but with the discussions of vocabulary and sayings; when we were younger they were dungarees not jeans. Then it was jeans for ladies and not men, then they became jeans and dungarees was dropped altogether.
Blue jeans was mixed in there at some point. Probably around the time Neil Diamond had a hit song called Forever In Blue Jeans
Old 10-17-13, 03:12 PM
RIP

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Old 10-17-13, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by cungar View Post
Oh, you.
Old 10-17-13, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 232 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by inri222 View Post
Whenever I watch American Dad I think of Paul Lynde every time Roger speaks.
Old 10-17-13, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by taffer View Post
I'm 34 and have seen Psycho several times and couldn't tell you the name of the lead actress. I'm just not a person who pays much attention to the names of actors/actresses.

I will sometimes see an actor/actress that I recognize and say something like, "Wasn't he/she in so and so movie?"

I did that just this week when I was re-watching the Shield (the one with Vic Mackey, not the new one based on the Avengers). I was up to season 3 with the whole cuddler rapist subplot, and when he was finally revealed I was like, "Hey that's Agent Coulson!" I looked it up on wikipedia to double check, and yes it was. I never really paid attention to the actor's name being Clark Gregg before.
I am the exact opposite. I have a great memory for real names but not the characters as much. A lot of times I will know an actor/director/producer was involved with a movie without even seeing the movie just from perusing an IMDB page once or reading an article then recalling it years later. Like I can think of at least 5 movies Amber Heard has been in but I cant recall one of her character's names...and I just saw Machete Kills 2 nights ago.
Old 10-18-13, 12:55 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JimRochester View Post
We just thought he was funny.

Never heard of dungarees. They were always jeans.
Old 10-18-13, 04:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 72 Likes on 57 Posts

^what a surprise.
Old 10-18-13, 05:15 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Spottedfeather View Post
You don't know what a 401k is either, so yeah, what a surprise.
Old 10-18-13, 06:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 72 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Spottedfeather View Post
I think I finally figured out who you are.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/AhMQOb0tEmI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 10-18-13, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

I'll speak up for SF a bit here. I've of course heard the term, but I was never exactly sure what kind of pants dungarees were. I pictured more of cargo pant with big pockets to keep my 401ks in.