Reload this Page >

French Senate moves to ban child beauty pageants

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion and Politics

Old 09-27-13, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

The thread about the "naughty" girl's Halloween costume reminded me that I had meant to post something about this last week:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-24145119

France moves to ban child beauty pageants

Parliament in France has moved to ban child beauty pageants on the grounds that they promote the "hyper-sexualisation" of minors.

The Senate adopted the bill by 196 votes to 146 on Tuesday evening. It must now be passed by the National Assembly, before becoming law.

Organisers of such pageants may face a jail term of up to two years and a fine of 30,000 euros (25,000; $40,000).

The measure was prompted by a row over a photo shoot in Vogue magazine.

The photos published in December 2010 showed a girl of 10 with two others, all three in heavy make-up and wearing tight dresses, high heels and expensive jewellery.

Vogue defended the pictures, saying they merely portrayed a common fantasy among young girls - to dress like their mother.

Parliament heard a report entitled Against Hyper-Sexualisation: A New Fight For Equality, which called for the ban on beauty competitions for the under-16s. It also recommended other measures, not included in the bill, including a ban on child-size adult clothing such as padded bras and high-heeled shoes.

"Let us not make our girls believe from a very young age that their worth is only judged by their appearance," said the author of the report, former Sports Minister Chantal Jouanno.
One promoter of existing pageants in France said they would simply move them just across the border in Belgium so that French parents could still get to them without too much travel.

Here is a blog post that features photos from the offending Vogue photo spread from 2010. They are not nearly as scandalous as I would have expected:

http://faire-delamode.blogspot.com/2...models-in.html

A couple of Christmases ago, I went with my mother to a popular mall store called Justice to buy some clothes for my then 12 year-old niece. I was a little bit shocked at some of the items they sold targeted at tweens, frankly, and have been informed that Justice's offerings are actually pretty tame compared to some places. OTOH, I remember being informed quite matter-of-factly by my other 12 year-old niece the year before that that several of her female classmates had already lost their virginities so...yeah. I guess I'm just old.
Old 09-27-13, 09:55 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: French Senate moves to ban child beauty pageants

Roman Polanski is gonna be pissed.
Old 09-27-13, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As appalling as these are, is this really the type of thing you want to drive underground? I'd think secret, illegal child beauty pageants will be much worse than those that operate legally, in plain view.
Old 09-27-13, 09:58 AM

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

These things are horrible, and I think that anybody who attends one (especially without a child of their own) should be rounded up "Minority Report" style.
Old 09-27-13, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 87 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by RoyalTea View Post
As appalling as these are, is this really the type of thing you want to drive underground? I'd think secret, illegal child beauty pageants will be much worse than those that operate legally, in plain view.
Considering the attention-whoring moms want their kids in the spotlight, it might kill the sport.
Old 09-27-13, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
These things are horrible, and I think that anybody who attends one (especially without a child of their own) should be rounded up "Minority Report" style.
On a related note, dancing competitions are becoming hugely popular as well, especially with young girls (and their vicarious mothers). The songs, choreography and costumes used by/for tweens in some of these contests is equally nauseating.
Old 09-27-13, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

Parliament heard a report entitled Against Hyper-Sexualisation: A New Fight For Equality, which called for the ban on beauty competitions for the under-16s.
Meanwhile the Paris runways routinely feature 14 and 15 year old models.
Old 09-27-13, 03:59 PM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
How can you say that when you came in second and won $10?
Old 09-27-13, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Where were these French Senates when I was a child beauty star?
Old 09-28-13, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
Meanwhile the Paris runways routinely feature 14 and 15 year old models.
With basically see through tops.

However child beauty pageants are disgusting so ban away.
Old 09-28-13, 11:20 AM
Admin

Received 128 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by RoyalTea View Post
Agreed. I think a lot of these parents have a screw loose, but I don't know if it should be made illegal.