Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Trainwreck threads

Other Talk "Otterville"
View Poll Results: So when a thread goes off the rails...
I love it. Bring on the drama.
78.72%
I hate it. Makes me not want to come here
21.28%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Trainwreck threads

Old 09-24-13, 08:35 PM
Admin

Received 163 Likes on 103 Posts
Trainwreck threads

I don't know what the percentage of people's feelings are on these things, so I'm throwing up a poll. I can't tell you how many times we get a thread reported for going off the reservation and sometimes when we close the same thread we get just as many complaints that we should have left the thread open to completely burn to the ground. I'm just curious as to where people stand on this in regards to message boards in general, not just DT.

Discuss.
Old 09-24-13, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 164 Likes on 143 Posts
Re: Trainwreck threads

Loves it.
Old 09-24-13, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 282 Likes on 206 Posts

The threads that need to be closed are the ones that have not only gone off the rails but the ones that devolve into nothing more than a small handful of posters going around in circles with thinly veiled insults.

I'm all for healthy discussion, even if the discussion deviates from the original topic. Heck, in many cases threads become great when they develop a life of their own but in order to have "healthy" discussions the conversation needs to progress. The exchange of back and forth ideas only works when the conversation is moved forward.

The thread that was closed today had obviously gotten to the point of needing to be closer because no useful information at all was being included. Without calling out certain members, there are people on this forum that either don't want or don't know how to progress a discussion further than listing their beliefs and then refusing to listen to any other opinions. People who claim their opinions as fact and then treat facts as opinions.

Last edited by GoldenJCJ; 09-24-13 at 08:53 PM.
Old 09-24-13, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 365 Likes on 280 Posts

I think the majority of the classic threads here and elsewhere are the trainwreck threads that go off the rails. As long as they don't devolve like GoldenJCJ said, I'm for keeping them open and letting them die down as interest wanes.
Old 09-24-13, 08:47 PM
Premium Member

Received 99 Likes on 73 Posts

I love a good train wreck thread. It's the ones that tend to end up in the same place with the same posters that need to go.
Old 09-24-13, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some go off and become hilarious. Others just devolve into the same old shit. Get rid of the same old shit that has been hashed and rehashed a thousand times.
Old 09-24-13, 09:18 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I spent the last 4 days at DVD Talk because of the Asperger's thread. When it got closed I went back to Blu-ray.com. Then I made a thread and that got closed so fawk it. Back to Blu-ray.com for me. Otter is better than general chat at blu-ray.com but the mods don't pick on me there. BTW Pharoh, I don't care if I get banned because it takes me 5 minutes to change my IP and make a new account. It's not like I have a high post count to worry about losing. Ask HDD how much trouble I gave them when they banned me. I made so many accounts and caused so much trouble they finally gave up on banning me. So your threats don't bother me in the least. Peace out
Old 09-24-13, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by junglalien View Post
I spent the last 4 days at DVD Talk because of the Asperger's thread. When it got closed I went back to Blu-ray.com. Then I made a thread and that got closed so fawk it. Back to Blu-ray.com for me. Otter is better than general chat at blu-ray.com but the mods don't pick on me there. BTW Pharoh, I don't care if I get banned because it takes me 5 minutes to change my IP and make a new account. It's not like I have a high post count to worry about losing. Ask HDD how much trouble I gave them when they banned me. I made so many accounts and caused so much trouble they finally gave up on banning me. So your threats don't bother me in the least. Peace out
It's adorable that you think this thread is about you.
Old 09-24-13, 09:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by RoyalTea View Post
No I don't.
Old 09-24-13, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Since every moviefan24 thread ends in a trainwreck...I voted yes!! It's amusing to me watching him get thoroughly dismantled in thread after thread.
Old 09-24-13, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 143 Likes on 106 Posts

If Otter Threads were coal, we'd have a diamond mine of entertainment.

Damn, this is some good Irish whiskey I have here.
Old 09-24-13, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

As others have mentioned, there's 2 kinds of trainwrecks.

Most classic threads could be described that way. Those are great. We love those.

Then there's the trainwrecks that you read and they make you want to bang your head against something. That's often due to posters who seem to be driven by stirring things up. They don't care if they're banned. They usually make lame threats about causing trouble if you take action against them, claiming they've done so at other places. Those are the threads to shut down.
Old 09-24-13, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I enjoy reading entertaining trainwrecks, where it's more a trip through Dali-land with where the thread goes. They give the forum and site some personality.
Threads with a large volume of purposefully instigatory posts or insults or round robin, go-nowhere posts, or pile-on-one-person threads, those are not good for the people in them, the people observing, or the site as a whole (IMHO).
Old 09-24-13, 10:12 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Cardsfan111 View Post
As others have mentioned, there's 2 kinds of trainwrecks.

Most classic threads could be described that way. Those are great. We love those.

Then there's the trainwrecks that you read and they make you want to bang your head against something. That's often due to posters who seem to be driven by stirring things up. They don't care if they're banned. They usually make lame threats about causing trouble if you take action against them, claiming they've done so at other places. Those are the threads to shut down.
The Aspereger's thread didn't get closed because of me. It got closed because they kept talking about religion after they were warned twice. Paroh had to come back after it was already closed and make a remark. Yeah I'm such a trouble maker here. The last 5 years all I've done is post deals. In Otter I did polls that one of the admins said he liked and asked me to do more.
Old 09-24-13, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Aspereger's thread didn't get closed because of me. It got closed because they kept talking about religion after they were warned twice. Paroh had to come back after it was already closed and make a remark. Yeah I'm such a trouble maker here. The last 5 years all I've done is post deals. In Otter I did polls that one of the admins said he liked and asked me to do more.
Old 09-24-13, 10:16 PM
Banned

mmmmm, this eggsalad is good
Old 09-24-13, 10:17 PM
Banned by request

I agree with the general consensus above, even if I sometimes contribute to the pile-on in the "bad" trainwreck threads.
Old 09-24-13, 10:18 PM
Admin

Received 163 Likes on 103 Posts

Old 09-24-13, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't mind a train wreck thread, but when it's thread after thread of the same people and it starts spilling into other threads, it becomes a problem.
Old 09-24-13, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

I think sometimes it's alright - ie: the moviewhatever autism thread - it was his thread, and he was the one actively engaging people, I don't see a problem with that.

Now if it's the thread for Man of Steel and people start talking religion and politics, I can see that as a problem.
Old 09-24-13, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

"These pretzels are making me thirsty!"

Also, what GoldenJCJ, fujishig, The Cow, kvrdave, Cardsfan111, dtcarson, Supermallet, and Rockmjd23 said.
Old 09-25-13, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I typically enjoy trainwreck threads, but it seems that 99% of them lately have been threads started by the same handful of members, and then they are piled on by everybody regardless of the original intentions of their postings. Religion, science, religion, science... it's getting really old. Those members believe what they believe, but yet everyone keeps trying to argue with them and change their minds. It's a pointless and stupid endeavor.
Old 09-25-13, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Let the shit fly.
Old 09-25-13, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Seriously? You are way too invested in internet forums if this is your response.
Old 09-25-13, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 71 Likes on 47 Posts

I joined DVD Talk because of the deals I found on DVDs. My averages price for my first 100 DVDs was less than a dollar thanks to this site. Once the deals dried up I continued coming back for Otter. I love the sarcasm and general attitude here. When some feel the need to spout their beliefs and get lambasted it is cheap entertainment. When those threads are closed I go watch TV instead.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.