Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Asperger's Syndrome, Party of Me...

Other Talk "Otterville"

Asperger's Syndrome, Party of Me...

Old 09-23-13, 08:08 PM
  #201  
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Llama School
Posts: 6,538
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Asperger's Syndrome, Party of Me...

Originally Posted by moviefan2k4 View Post
most of what others say is processed logically.
Go ahead and remove one from your list. Doctor shopping is fun.
Lt Ripley is offline  
Old 09-23-13, 08:21 PM
  #202  
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 881
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Asperger's Syndrome, Party of Me...

Why would you want to have Assburgers? Are you trying to get disability or something? I would be looking for every reason not to have it.
junglalien is offline  
Old 09-23-13, 08:29 PM
  #203  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,490
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Asperger's Syndrome, Party of Me...

Originally Posted by Lt Ripley View Post
Go ahead and remove one from your list. Doctor shopping is fun.
I beg your pardon?

Originally Posted by junglalien View Post
Why would you want to have Asperger's? Are you trying to get disability or something? I would be looking for every reason not to have it.
People who suffer from AS don't have a choice; its part of how their brains are wired. Some believe it may be genetic, but I'm not sure what to think at this point. I was born about 2 months early, and my mother says that my brain was not completely developed at that point. I spent those early weeks in an incubator, and apparently, the doctors were telling Mom to prepare for my funeral.

Of all the items on that 4-tier list, I'd say about 25 of them apply to me.
moviefan2k4 is offline  
Old 09-23-13, 08:57 PM
  #204  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Unknown
Posts: 4,091
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Asperger's Syndrome, Party of Me...

Try and ignore the trolls moviefan and listen to Navinabob about being careful how much you divulge. There are people in this forum and thread with their own disorder that compels them to be assholes.
dave-o is offline  
Old 09-23-13, 09:32 PM
  #205  
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 881
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Asperger's Syndrome, Party of Me...

junglalien is offline  
Old 09-23-13, 10:03 PM
  #206  
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Llama School
Posts: 6,538
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Asperger's Syndrome, Party of Me...

Originally Posted by moviefan2k4 View Post
I beg your pardon?
You are the logical one, you can infer what I meant.

Now you are going to play the "wired" game after railing on gays for not being wired that way. Those of you falling for this shit from him need to rethink things.

If this is real, I feel for his poor mother. She cares enough to let him live with her, but you know he is going to use this as an excuse for everything.

I proudly accept the asshole label Dave-o
Lt Ripley is offline  
Old 09-23-13, 10:12 PM
  #207  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Unknown
Posts: 4,091
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Asperger's Syndrome, Party of Me...

Originally Posted by Lt Ripley View Post
You are the logical one, you can infer what I meant.

Now you are going to play the "wired" game after railing on gays for not being wired that way. Those of you falling for this shit from him need to rethink things.

If this is real, I feel for his poor mother. She cares enough to let him live with her, but you know he is going to use this as an excuse for everything.

I proudly accept the asshole label Dave-o
Well, to be fair...I can't say you don't bring up a good point.
dave-o is offline  
Old 09-23-13, 10:37 PM
  #208  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,490
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Asperger's Syndrome, Party of Me...

I definitely believe in the power of prayer, but I also know that God gave humans a brain to use, not ignore.

Originally Posted by dave-o View Post
Well, to be fair...I can't say you don't bring up a good point.
I can, and I do. There's no concrete evidence for a genetic connection to homosexual desire...but even if there were, should people act on every impulse they have? Before you say the same about Asperger's, bear in mind that a social communication disorder does not carry the same potential for humanity's destruction as seeking out a mate of the same sex. If everyone did that, humans would go extinct, whereas if everyone had Asperger's, we'd simply have to learn new ways of interaction.
moviefan2k4 is offline  
Old 09-23-13, 10:42 PM
  #209  
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Llama School
Posts: 6,538
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Asperger's Syndrome, Party of Me...

What was that about self-absorption earlier in the thread...

This shit is funny.
Lt Ripley is offline  
Old 09-23-13, 10:50 PM
  #210  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Unknown
Posts: 4,091
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Asperger's Syndrome, Party of Me...

Originally Posted by moviefan2k4 View Post
I definitely believe in the power of prayer, but I also know that God gave humans a brain to use, not ignore.

I can, and I do. There's no concrete evidence for a genetic connection to homosexual desire...but even if there were, should people act on every impulse they have? Before you say the same about Asperger's, bear in mind that a social communication disorder does not carry the same potential for humanity's destruction as seeking out a mate of the same sex. If everyone did that, humans would go extinct, whereas if everyone had Asperger's, we'd simply have to learn new ways of interaction.
Hey, you're the one that brought up being wired that way and not having a "choice" in the matter. Seems fair for you to be called on that type of self-centered hypocritical reasoning, no? The whole destructive stuff is just silly.
dave-o is offline  
Old 09-23-13, 10:55 PM
  #211  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Rosemount, MN
Posts: 39,430
Received 736 Likes on 468 Posts
Re: Asperger's Syndrome, Party of Me...

Originally Posted by moviefan2k4 View Post
I definitely believe in the power of prayer, but I also know that God gave humans a brain to use, not ignore.

I can, and I do. There's no concrete evidence for a genetic connection to homosexual desire...but even if there were, should people act on every impulse they have? Before you say the same about Asperger's, bear in mind that a social communication disorder does not carry the same potential for humanity's destruction as seeking out a mate of the same sex. If everyone did that, humans would go extinct, whereas if everyone had Asperger's, we'd simply have to learn new ways of interaction.
The fact that homosexuality has been around as long as humanity has been around and we're still here (and still not choosing our sexuality) seems to indicate that your fears are unfounded.

And if we all had to communicate the way you do...well, that's not a world I'd be too excited about.
Draven is offline  
Old 09-23-13, 10:57 PM
  #212  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,490
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Asperger's Syndrome, Party of Me...

Originally Posted by dave-o View Post
Hey, you're the one that brought up being wired that way and not having a "choice" in the matter. Seems fair for you to be called on that type of self-centered hypocritical reasoning, no? The whole destructive stuff is just silly.
Civilizations have been destroyed by terrible behaviors before, and I'm not just talking about Sodom and Gomorrah. Its not hypocritical for me to describe homosexuality as destructive because I'm not seeking out another man that way.
moviefan2k4 is offline  
Old 09-23-13, 10:58 PM
  #213  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Unknown
Posts: 4,091
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Asperger's Syndrome, Party of Me...

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
The fact that homosexuality has been around as long as humanity has been around and we're still here (and still not choosing our sexuality) seems to indicate that your fears are unfounded.

And if we all had to communicate the way you do...well, that's not a world I'd be too excited about.
I'm sure someone can dream up an equally ridiculous extinction scenario that involves our inevitable self destruction due to the lack of social and emotional intelligence among the whole population...but it would be just that, ridiculous.
dave-o is offline  
Old 09-23-13, 11:00 PM
  #214  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,490
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Asperger's Syndrome, Party of Me...

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
The fact that homosexuality has been around as long as humanity has been around and we're still here (and still not choosing our sexuality) seems to indicate that your fears are unfounded.
Facts are determined by a logically reasonable assessment of available evidence, not opinion. There's no such evidence for the belief of homosexual desire being genetic, so until that changes, rationality dictates people behave as if its not true.

And if we all had to communicate the way you do...well, that's not a world I'd be too excited about.
My beliefs are not decided or influenced by Asperger's; that just affects how I convey them to people.
moviefan2k4 is offline  
Old 09-23-13, 11:01 PM
  #215  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Unknown
Posts: 4,091
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Asperger's Syndrome, Party of Me...

Originally Posted by moviefan2k4 View Post
Civilizations have been destroyed by terrible behaviors before, and I'm not just talking about Sodom and Gomorrah. Its not hypocritical for me to describe homosexuality as destructive because I'm not seeking out another man that way.
No, that is not the hypocrisy...I know self awareness is not a strong suit for you, but take a look at your defense of your AS traits and try and compare that to your thinking towards homosexuals...therein lies the hypocrisy. I don't expect you to see it, or admit to it even if you did, but it's there alrighty...
dave-o is offline  
Old 09-23-13, 11:04 PM
  #216  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Unknown
Posts: 4,091
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Asperger's Syndrome, Party of Me...

Originally Posted by moviefan2k4 View Post
Facts are determined by a logically reasonable assessment of available evidence, not opinion. There's no such evidence for the belief of homosexual desire being genetic, so until that changes, rationality dictates people behave as if its not true.

My beliefs are not decided or influenced by Asperger's; that just affects how I convey them to people.
Nothing about what you said here is rational or logical. I know it seems that way to you, but not so. Tell me, have you compared what is known about the heredity rates for homosexuality vs AS? You might want to look into that...
dave-o is offline  
Old 09-23-13, 11:12 PM
  #217  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: West Coast of Canada
Posts: 4,432
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Asperger's Syndrome, Party of Me...

Originally Posted by moviefan2k4 View Post
My beliefs are not decided or influenced by Asperger's; that just affects how I convey them to people.
So you're saying that your AS doesn't have an effect on your inner experience, only the way that you convey information to others? Also, based on what you have said previously, that way you convey information is not particularly your responsibility, correct? Because Asperger's.
solipsta is offline  
Old 09-24-13, 12:13 AM
  #218  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,490
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Asperger's Syndrome, Party of Me...

Originally Posted by solipsta View Post
So you're saying that your AS doesn't have an effect on your inner experience, only the way that you convey information to others? Also, based on what you have said previously, that way you convey information is not particularly your responsibility, correct? Because Asperger's.
The only way I am to blame for people's reactions to my remarks is if I say something deliberately offensive. This applies to people without Asperger's as well; its not yours, mine, or anyone else's job to hold offense as the highest crime. Everyone's beliefs and statements have the potential for offending somebody; intent makes the difference. My basic rule is this: say what you mean, mean what you say, and treat others first the way you want to be treated. Their responses aren't your concern or responsibility, so long as you're not hypocritical.
moviefan2k4 is offline  
Old 09-24-13, 12:16 AM
  #219  
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Llama School
Posts: 6,538
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Asperger's Syndrome, Party of Me...

The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today is moviefan2k4.
Lt Ripley is offline  
Old 09-24-13, 12:23 AM
  #220  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,490
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Asperger's Syndrome, Party of Me...

Originally Posted by dave-o View Post
No, that is not the hypocrisy...I know self awareness is not a strong suit for you, but take a look at your defense of your AS traits and try and compare that to your thinking towards homosexuals...therein lies the hypocrisy. I don't expect you to see it, or admit to it even if you did, but it's there alrighty...
Asperger's and homosexuality are two different issues. From what I've read, there's some evidence which suggests AS might be genetic, but its not conclusive. In contrast, no evidence exists at all to prove same-sex attraction is inborn. If you take "survival of the fittest" into account, mutation should've wiped out something like that very early on.

Here's an article from December 2012, about AS and genetics. I don't agree with the evolutionary angle, but there's some very interesting information.

Scientists Identify 27 Genes Associated With Aspergerís Syndrome: What Does This Mean?
moviefan2k4 is offline  
Old 09-24-13, 12:59 AM
  #221  
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Llama School
Posts: 6,538
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Asperger's Syndrome, Party of Me...

Thanks for the pm moviepan. Doesn't hurt my feelings you now have me on ignore. You aren't the first to ignore me. I will continue to respond to ignorant posts on here from you. Asburger's doesn't give you the right to discriminate against large groups of people.
Lt Ripley is offline  
Old 09-24-13, 01:00 AM
  #222  
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 6,584
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Asperger's Syndrome, Party of Me...

Originally Posted by moviefan2k4 View Post
Before you say the same about Asperger's, bear in mind that a social communication disorder does not carry the same potential for humanity's destruction as seeking out a mate of the same sex.


You don't get mocked for being a Christian. You get mocked for the absolutely insane shit like this and master dogs that you talk about. Your grasp of history and science is about the level of a 3rd grader.


Originally Posted by moviefan2k4 View Post
Civilizations have been destroyed by terrible behaviors before, and I'm not just talking about Sodom and Gomorrah.
Name one.

Big hint here: no civilization lasts forever regardless of whether they are "sinful" or not. Some of the greatest empires of all time, like the Greeks and Roman Empire, embraced homosexuality actually.


Originally Posted by moviefan2k4 View Post
From what I've read, there's some evidence which suggests AS might be genetic, but its not conclusive. In contrast, no evidence exists at all to prove same-sex attraction is inborn. If you take "survival of the fittest" into account, mutation should've wiped out something like that very early on.
You're seriously going to play the "survival of the fittest" card? Seriously? By your own logic, Aspergers should have been wiped out by "survival of the fittest" as well. Why do things like autism, down's syndrome, etc. exist? By your own logic, they should all have been wiped out.

Its also quite hilarious that you apparently believe in "survival of the fittest" but not evolution, even though they have the same roots. You really do pick and choose what you want to believe, don't you?

Last edited by taffer; 09-24-13 at 01:10 AM.
taffer is offline  
Old 09-24-13, 01:02 AM
  #223  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Numanoid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Down in 'The Park'
Posts: 27,881
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Asperger's Syndrome, Party of Me...

People with Asperger's are far less likely to form lasting relationships with members of the opposite sex. They are therefore less likely to procreate. If everyone had Asperger's, it would mean the destruction of humanity. Therefore, having Asperger's is sinful. Furthermore, knowing that one has Asperger's and choosing to continue to engage in Asperger behavior is a sin. Having Asperger's isn't your fault, but engaging in the behavior is. Repent.
Numanoid is offline  
Old 09-24-13, 01:22 AM
  #224  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,490
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Asperger's Syndrome, Party of Me...

Originally Posted by taffer View Post


You don't get mocked for being a Christian. You get mocked for the absolutely insane shit like this and master dogs that you talk about. Your grasp of history and science is about the level of a 3rd grader.
Actually, many mock me here because I use science to defend my faith, a practice called apologetics. For example, science has proven erosion's a fact, so why can't it happen on a large scale in a short amount of time, instead of the other way around?

I think the main reason some don't want to acknowledge the possibility a worldwide flood is because of the supernatural and moral implications involved.

Name one.
You saved me the work by naming two; see below.

Big hint here: no civilization lasts forever regardless of whether they are "sinful" or not. Some of the greatest empires of all time, like the Greeks and Roman Empire, embraced homosexuality actually.
And they're both gone, too.

You're seriously going to play the "survival of the fittest" card? Seriously? By your own logic, Aspergers should have been wiped out by "survival of the fittest" as well. Why do things like autism, down's syndrome, etc. exist? By your own logic, they should all have been wiped out.

Its also quite hilarious that you apparently believe in "survival of the fittest" but not evolution, even though they have the same roots. You really do pick and choose what you want to believe, don't you?
Not in the way you're suggesting. I have no problem with so-called "micro-evolution", even though I despise the term. That's been seen and repeated many times. What I don't agree with is "macro-evolution", also called "the goo to you, via the zoo".
moviefan2k4 is offline  
Old 09-24-13, 01:29 AM
  #225  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,490
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Asperger's Syndrome, Party of Me...

Originally Posted by Numanoid View Post
People with Asperger's are far less likely to form lasting relationships with members of the opposite sex. They are therefore less likely to procreate. If everyone had Asperger's, it would mean the destruction of humanity. Therefore, having Asperger's is sinful. Furthermore, knowing that one has Asperger's and choosing to continue to engage in Asperger behavior is a sin. Having Asperger's isn't your fault, but engaging in the behavior is. Repent.
Sin is a choice to do something you know is wrong, when you have the capacity to do so. Asperger's is not a behavior, but a medical condition which limits someone's ability to understand and/or engage in socially accepted "norms".
moviefan2k4 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.