Reload this Page >

Asperger's Syndrome, Party of Me...

Other Talk "Otterville"

Asperger's Syndrome, Party of Me...

Old 09-23-13, 01:11 AM
Banned by request

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Asperger's Syndrome, Party of Me...

Because you can't see how your posts come off to anyone else. So you seem to lack any awareness of how you're interacting with the world.
Old 09-23-13, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 648 Likes on 453 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
Is complete and utter lack of self awareness a symptom of Asperger's? Serious question.
I'm not in the medical field, so I'm sure someone else here is better qualified to answer, but, to my understanding, the answer is a resounding yes. That's why many/most people with Asperger's find themselves marginalized and/or bullied. They just can't play well with others.

Remember the kid in this cringe-inducing video from a few years ago? He almost certainly has Asperger's. Notice how rude he is, completely without self-awareness.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/gRZNQ06kWyc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 09-23-13, 01:20 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Because you can't see how your posts come off to anyone else. So you seem to lack any awareness of how you're interacting with the world.
I know my statements anger some people, but since I'm not being malicious, its not my fault. If I were hurling insults or cussing up a storm, things would be different. I don't concern myself with others' reactions very much, because I can't control them anyway.
Old 09-23-13, 01:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You should do real well in therapy with that attitude.

Hint: Accepting that you have a problem is the first step in dealing with it.

Bonus hint: Stop obsessing over cussing. People cuss. They're just words. Stop assigning them more weight than they deserve.
Old 09-23-13, 02:08 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 187 Likes on 143 Posts

A lot of the younger people at my group talk like that kid. I like to think I come across a little better than that, but I've gotten the "geez, this guy is weird" vibe sometimes when talking to random people so I don't know. I know one guy who took public speaking and he shows NO signs of social awkwardness, yet he swears he's been diagnosed.

I often have trouble taking in words, and sometimes stumble on them myself- I remember losing a spelling bee in 6th grade because I said a completely different letter than the one I was thinking. Nowadays, especially if it's in a loud crowded place, I'll cup my ears to hear who I'm talking to better, looking like a deaf person. Ever since I got access to closed captions, I've found that I can usually understand a movie a lot better when reading them, yet I don't use them the first time I watch a movie since they intrude on the picture, and when they're turned on I find myself looking at the words instead of the picture. Even if I watch a movie that isn't in English, I prefer to watch it first without subtitles and then with them on if I don't get what's going on. I have a general obsessiveness about the way I watch stuff too, which I've detailed here before resulting in many "WTF?" reactions.
Old 09-23-13, 02:38 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by moviefan2k4 View Post
I know my statements anger some people, but since I'm not being malicious, its not my fault. If I were hurling insults or cussing up a storm, things would be different. I don't concern myself with others' reactions very much, because I can't control them anyway.
I see you've gone with the "difference to be defended" option. It's a lonely path, my friend. You speak of being abused and hurt and rejected by others and then when you see an explanation of what your part may have been (and no, this isn't victim blaming...every victim plays a part), you use it as simply understanding why others treat you like this, rather than using it as a tool to move toward what you say you want. Fun.

Ah, the paths we choose...
Old 09-23-13, 03:57 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by solipsta View Post
I see you've gone with the "difference to be defended" option. It's a lonely path, my friend. You speak of being abused and hurt and rejected by others and then when you see an explanation of what your part may have been (and no, this isn't victim blaming...every victim plays a part), you use it as simply understanding why others treat you like this, rather than using it as a tool to move toward what you say you want. Fun.

Ah, the paths we choose...
I'm not completely sure which option holds the most weight yet, to be honest. My last post wasn't in reference to my Asperger's diagnosis, but the questions about political correctness which Supermallet was posting.

The plain and simple fact is that if you're not being deliberately hurtful toward somebody, their responses are neither your responsibility nor fault. That's not a license to avoid caring about others at all, but obsessively avoiding ideological conflict is the key to the PC mindset. This kind of thinking led to people wrongfully misinterpreting the Constitution with events like the 1930s Hollywood blacklist, and more broadly, the "separation of church and state" mantra. There's no law in any founding U.S. document, which says any belief system can't have influence in the federal government, or has to be kept completely away from it. The First Amendment was designed to keep the government from making any religion mandatory in observance, or punishable for failure to comply...that's it.
Old 09-23-13, 04:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I bought you a new shirt, would you wear it?
Old 09-23-13, 05:59 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Matt View Post
I actually have four identical white T-shirts, which I wear because they're comfortable. I've never cared much for "popular fashion" as a whole.
Old 09-23-13, 06:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Old 09-23-13, 07:04 AM
Banned

I actually have four identical white T-shirts, which I wear because they're comfortable. I've never cared much for "popular fashion" as a whole.
Its not about fashion. Its about looking like you don't wear the same shirt every single day.

I don't give a crap about fashion either. I wear solid color t-shirts 99.9% of the time too, but at least I mix it up with a few blues, a few reds, a few greens, etc.

You do wear different hats in the videos, which makes it even more odd with different hats but all the same shirts.
Old 09-23-13, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by taffer View Post
If someone is gay, do you beat the gayness out of them?
No, you just love them as best you can, without endorsing their destructive behavior.
I have to agree with supermallet.
Old 09-23-13, 07:34 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by taffer View Post
Its not about fashion. Its about looking like you don't wear the same shirt every single day.
I don't give much thought to trivial things like that; if its comfortable and clean, I wear it.

You do wear different hats in the videos, which makes it even more odd with different hats but all the same shirts.
Variety's never been my strong suit. I wore either blue or black jeans in all types of weather until about 3 years ago, when I switched to khakis.
Old 09-23-13, 07:37 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by DirkUSA View Post
I have to agree with supermallet.
Its not that I don't understand how some people react to what I say, but more that unless I'm being malicious, I honestly don't care. I'm not out to deliberately hurt or offend anybody, but I also tell things as they are, without apology. Arbitrary reactions aren't my responsibility.
Old 09-23-13, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Its not that I don't understand how some people react to what I say, but more that unless I'm being malicious, I honestly don't care. I'm not out to deliberately hurt or offend anybody, but I also tell things as they are, without apology. Arbitrary reactions aren't my responsibility.
But you care when people respond the same way you talk to them and you don't like it.

You need to look at things from more than one angle.
Old 09-23-13, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by junglalien View Post
Assburgers is the new ADHD. They label pretty much anyone with it.
Originally Posted by OldBoy View Post
are you trying to be a dick?
Originally Posted by Decadance View Post
Well aren't you a dick. Yeah yeah personal attack. Don't care this time.
Is it a requirement that everyone agree with these diagnoses? Why is someone a dick who thinks this Aspergers and ADHD are wildly over-diagnosed?
Old 09-23-13, 08:20 AM

I'm not completely sure which option holds the most weight yet, to be honest. My last post wasn't in reference to my Asperger's diagnosis, but the questions about political correctness which Supermallet was posting.
It wasn't intended to be, but it was. You just haven't quite realized its all part of the same animal.
Old 09-23-13, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Where on earth do you get this shit?

What you're basically saying is you shouldn't have to care how other people feel, so you can say what you want, but as soon as you tell someone you're offended, they should stop.

You will argue my assessment, but your posting history confirms it.
You see, these murky "diagnoses" are dangerous. Now the OP has a medical excuse for being politically incorrect (otherwise known as a social ass).

Our problems are our own to work out. We all have periods where we feel alone or awkward or attacked. People need to take steps to change themselves. That's what successful adults do. I think parents can really help their little ones too by getting them into social situations and places to gain self confidence, like children's theater. And please, teach your children the basic alphabet, numbers, and colors before kindergarten. Preschool is an awesome idea too.

Sorry, call me a skeptic.
Old 09-23-13, 08:41 AM
RIP

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

I don't get the thread title. "Party of me." ?
Old 09-23-13, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Not attempting to have any awareness of the effect your words may have on others is being malicious and deliberately hurtful. And dismissing people's natural responses as "arbitrary" and thus not your responsibility is a very immature reaction.
Old 09-23-13, 08:44 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 453 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
Is it a requirement that everyone agree with these diagnoses? Why is someone a dick who thinks this Aspergers and ADHD are wildly over-diagnosed?
he's a dick for calling it Assburgers.
Old 09-23-13, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The plain and simple fact is that if you're not being deliberately hurtful toward somebody, their responses are neither your responsibility nor fault.
This here is the KEY to normal social functionality. You need to defeat this attitude.

Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Appearance is pretty important also when it comes to social acceptance. I'd say lose 20 lbs, go to Banana Republic or something and buy a good pair of jeans and some nice shirts, get some updated eyewear, lose the Jesus stuff, and smoke some weed. This is an unscientific opinion of course.
Old 09-23-13, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't give much thought to trivial things like that; if its comfortable and clean, I wear it.

Variety's never been my strong suit. I wore either blue or black jeans in all types of weather until about 3 years ago, when I switched to khakis.
Dude, its the trivial stuff that make the difference. You either want to change or you don't. Wearing nice clothes makes you feel good about yourself and then you project that confidence. It's all baby steps but I seriously would not discount just trying some self improvement.
Old 09-23-13, 10:02 AM
Banned by request

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The plain and simple fact is that if you're not being deliberately hurtful toward somebody, their responses are neither your responsibility nor fault. That's not a license to avoid caring about others at all, but obsessively avoiding ideological conflict is the key to the PC mindset. This kind of thinking led to people wrongfully misinterpreting the Constitution with events like the 1930s Hollywood blacklist, and more broadly, the "separation of church and state" mantra. There's no law in any founding U.S. document, which says any belief system can't have influence in the federal government, or has to be kept completely away from it. The First Amendment was designed to keep the government from making any religion mandatory in observance, or punishable for failure to comply...that's it.
Is this the same Constitution that left marriage rights up to the States? Still waiting to see those lines of text produced.
Old 09-23-13, 10:06 AM

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

Advising somebody to wear nice clothes and then sending them to Banana Republic seems like conflicting advice to me.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.