Asperger's Syndrome, Party of Me...

Other Talk "Otterville"

Asperger's Syndrome, Party of Me...

Old 09-21-13, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Asperger's Syndrome, Party of Me...

Originally Posted by junglalien View Post
Assburgers is the new ADHD. They label pretty much anyone with it.
You really don't know what you are talking about. I'm sorry you've had bad experiences with the mental health field, but there is a lot of great help and information out there, if one knows where to look.
Old 09-21-13, 11:21 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 453 Likes on 403 Posts

are you trying to be a dick?
Old 09-21-13, 11:23 AM

My guess would be that if he went to someone who did a thorough evaluation (and 6 hours sounds pretty thorough), he probably got a solid diagnosis. It never hurts to get a second opinion, and there is certainly a lot of over diagnosing and general misunderstanding of what AD is....but based on his own reaction to this, I'm guessing the doctor was on to something here. If you know what you're looking for and specialize in working with this population, it is often pretty clear who has it and who is just introverted and awkward...
Old 09-21-13, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been to the psych ward 3 times
No way!
Old 09-21-13, 12:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23 View Post
No way!
and prison once
Old 09-21-13, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Go talk to another doctor and they will tell you something different.
Well aren't you a dick. Yeah yeah personal attack. Don't care this time.
Old 09-21-13, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 254 Likes on 142 Posts

moviefan2k4, just ignore a couple of the posters here.

I think it is great that you are honest and wanted to open up about your problem here on the forum, that takes courage. We may not agree on a lot of things, but you seem like a good person and deserve support in dealing with your problem.
Old 09-21-13, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 449 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by cungar View Post
Article today on Salon.com

Thatís not autism: Itís simply a brainy, introverted boy

Autism spectrum diagnoses are up 78 percent in 10 years. We're dramatically overdiagnosing it in everyday behavior
Western culture reviles introverted behavior for some reason. It's likely tied to European genetics. It's completely the reverse in certain Asian cultures, where extroverted behavior is frowned upon.
Old 09-21-13, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 120 Likes on 81 Posts

This is a common criticism of autism, ADD, Aspergers. I think it come's from America's bullshit machismo. Suck it up, crybaby, and that sort of thing.
Old 09-21-13, 02:38 PM
Admin

Received 342 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy View Post
are you trying to be a dick?
Originally Posted by Decadance View Post
Well aren't you a dick. Yeah yeah personal attack. Don't care this time.
mod note - Whatever you think of someone's comments, this is not the way to go about showing it.
Old 09-21-13, 02:41 PM
Admin

Received 342 Likes on 219 Posts

I don't know much about the mental health field, but it does seem like a lot more people are being diagnosed with Autism related health issues over the past 20 years or so. Is it because more people have those conditions, or are we better at diagnosing it, or some other reason?

My cousin's daughter is Autistic. It has been a very stressful childhood for her and her family.
Old 09-21-13, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jason View Post
This is a common criticism of autism, ADD, Aspergers. I think it come's from America's bullshit machismo. Suck it up, crybaby, and that sort of thing.
I can't speak for anyone else but I was diagnosed with ADD as a kid and there was certainly no real reason other than teachers not wanting to deal with a kid with too many questions. Because of that misdiagnosis I was medicated and as a result (I believe) almost completely lost my memories of grade school (from 3rd through 6th, the time period I was on Ritalin).
Old 09-21-13, 04:11 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by cungar View Post
Article today on Salon.com

Thatís not autism: Itís simply a brainy, introverted boy

Autism spectrum diagnoses are up 78 percent in 10 years. We're dramatically over-diagnosing it in everyday behavior
I think some kids are definitely misdiagnosed, whether it be with a mental condition or anything else. At different times in my life, I've been told I had epilepsy, ADD, ADHD, social anxiety, and bipolarism. Of those five, the only consistent one has been the first (I'm on Keppra for seizures).

The main problem I noticed with that article was that Dr. Gnaulati's first expereience with William seemed hypocritical. He chastises another doctor for only spending a few minutes with the boy, but then makes a different conclusion about the boy's behavior after just a short time himself. My psychologist put me through six hours of intense questions, puzzles, and memorization tests; I also had both a CAT scan and EEG done almost 3 years ago.

There is clearly something very different about the way i think, talk, and act around people, and many don't react kindly at all, in spite of my attempts to convince them I have no ill intent. For proof, just look at the religion discussions on this board; vicious personal attacks are flying everywhere, all because I firmly hold and defend an opposing ideological worldview.
Old 09-21-13, 04:51 PM
Banned by request

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

moviefan, I'm glad to hear that you're getting help. My cousin is autistic and though he is brilliant, he also has trouble finishing basic tasks laid out for him, so I do hope you are able to work through this.
Old 09-21-13, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 187 Likes on 143 Posts

I was diagnosed with Asperger's 15 years ago, certainly explained a lot of things. I was a little ashamed of it at first but I've grown to just accept it and see it as a reason for why I am the way I am. There's a group in my city that meets once a month which has helped a lot. I've made a few friends through that though I wouldn't say anyone there is exactly like me, seems it affects everyone in different ways. At the group meetings we often discuss ways in which we're "better" than "normal" people yet still don't seem as happy as they are- a big debate is whether Asperger's is something that should be "cured" or just accepted. I'm fortunate in that I've at least been able to obtain and hold down jobs easily, though that's a hard thing for a lot of other people. The past year has been interesting as I finally got into a long-term romantic relationship after several short-term failures, and yet for the first time *I* was the one who ended up breaking it off.
Old 09-21-13, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 449 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by VinVega View Post
I don't know much about the mental health field, but it does seem like a lot more people are being diagnosed with Autism related health issues over the past 20 years or so. Is it because more people have those conditions, or are we better at diagnosing it, or some other reason?

My cousin's daughter is Autistic. It has been a very stressful childhood for her and her family.
Some of the increase is definitely due to better diagnostics and a further understanding of human psychology. But there is a widespread belief in the medical community something else is truly causing a rise in autism-related disorders separate from those issues.

Some believe it's intimately tied to the increased age when women first start giving birth these days. Others believe mating selection has been distorted by changes to society, leading to many couples from certain professions getting together that wouldn't have met in prior generations.
Old 09-21-13, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 647 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee View Post
I was diagnosed with Asperger's 15 years ago, certainly explained a lot of things. I was a little ashamed of it at first but I've grown to just accept it and see it as a reason for why I am the way I am. There's a group in my city that meets once a month which has helped a lot. I've made a few friends through that though I wouldn't say anyone there is exactly like me, seems it affects everyone in different ways. At the group meetings we often discuss ways in which we're "better" than "normal" people yet still don't seem as happy as they are- a big debate is whether Asperger's is something that should be "cured" or just accepted. I'm fortunate in that I've at least been able to obtain and hold down jobs easily, though that's a hard thing for a lot of other people. The past year has been interesting as I finally got into a long-term romantic relationship after several short-term failures, and yet for the first time *I* was the one who ended up breaking it off.
Was it that one chick who told the cops she didn't need a driver's license to drive, because it was her sovereign right to drive without one?
Old 09-22-13, 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by VinVega View Post
I would say the biggest thing is that the diagnostic criteria has developed as we learn more about it. As we can identify patterns in functional problems and give them names, then we can look at treatment. Then we can give it a name. With diagnosis comes funding. Funding increases research and so on and so on.

Or vaccinations are causing it. Either or, really.
Old 09-22-13, 01:56 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 187 Likes on 143 Posts

Was it that one chick who told the cops she didn't need a driver's license to drive, because it was her sovereign right to drive without one?
Yes. Basically it ended because we were talking about marriage (and this was the first relationship that ever made it to that stage) and she wanted me to change a bunch of stuff about myself but she wasn't willing to change things about her, and I ended up telling her that just wasn't going to work. Funny thing is she said she was once diagnosed with Asperger's but refuses to believe it, and she said she didn't think I had it either.
Old 09-22-13, 02:34 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ass burger.
Old 09-22-13, 03:43 AM
Banned

Comments like that are precisely why I pronounce it with either a soft "A" or "J" sound instead of "G", sometimes both. The scientist who first researched this condition was German, so there's a different accent used when saying the title properly.
Old 09-22-13, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 422 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by moviefan2k4 View Post
Comments like that are precisely why I pronounce it with either a soft "A" or "J" sound instead of "G", sometimes both. The scientist who first researched this condition was German, so there's a different accent used when saying the title properly.
As someone with a Geman last name, the hard G is appropriate. I think the soft A is actually accurate though.
Old 09-22-13, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 782 Likes on 512 Posts

So it's pronounced Obi-Wan Gabroni?
Old 09-22-13, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 132 Likes on 90 Posts

Throat Warbler Mangrove*

*emphasis on the soft A
Old 09-22-13, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by moviefan2k4 View Post
You won't have to worry about it much longer anyways (if you don't want to use the term), as back in May when the new DSM came out, this was one of the labels they did away with. They wrapped it in to the Autism Spectrum Disorders classification and are just referring to it by its other name, High Functioning Autism. It's caused quite a bit of controversy, as many people do not like the change (not so surprising as change tends to be met with resistance among AS individuals). Ironically enough, the German doctor who it was named after was actually studying truly autistic individuals and not the high functioning variety... Anywho...just a little background for ya!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.