Asperger's Syndrome, Party of Me...

Other Talk "Otterville"

Asperger's Syndrome, Party of Me...

Old 09-24-13, 01:36 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Asperger's Syndrome, Party of Me...

Originally Posted by moviefan2k4 View Post
Actually, many mock me here because I use science to defend my faith, a practice called apologetics. For example, science has proven erosion's a fact, so why can't it happen on a large scale in a short amount of time, instead of the other way around?
Like I said, your grasp of science is that of a 3rd grader. Just because erosion works one way doesn't mean it can automatically work in another way. That's complete nonsense.

I know you have said before that you believe there were no mountains prior to the Flood, and they were all formed from the Flood. Do you seriously not see how stupid it is to believe that? If erosion worked that quickly, we would see buildings and skyscrapers crumble before our eyes every time there was a hard rain.

The meteorologist says we are going to get 2" of rain tonight! Run for your lives! We're all going to die! Seek shelter? There is no shelter! It has all eroded away from last week's heavy rain!

You saved me the work by naming two; see below.

And they're both gone, too.
Prove that the ancient Greeks and Romans were destroyed because they were fine with homosexuality.

Its funny that you conveniently ignore what I said about no civilization lasting forever regardless of being sinful or not.

Not in the way you're suggesting. I have no problem with so-called "micro-evolution", even though I despise the term. That's been seen and repeated many times. What I don't agree with is "macro-evolution", also called "the goo to you, via the zoo".
Like I said, you pick and choose what you want to believe.
Old 09-24-13, 01:56 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by taffer View Post
Like I said, your grasp of science is that of a 3rd grader. Just because erosion works one way doesn't mean it can automatically work in another way. That's complete nonsense.
Yet, you seem to believe that just because small changes within genetic boundaries exist, those same changes can eventually turn an amoeba into a human. How is your stance on that any different from mine on erosion?

I know you have said before that you believe there were no mountains prior to the Flood, and they were all formed from the Flood. Do you seriously not see how stupid it is to believe that? If erosion worked that quickly, we would see buildings and skyscrapers crumble before our eyes every time there was a hard rain.
No, because the Flood wasn't just rain. It was a combination of some water from the air, and a whole lot more gushing up from the ground.

Prove that the ancient Greeks and Romans were destroyed because they were fine with homosexuality.
I never said they failed specifically because of that choice, just that civilizations fall due to wrong behaviors in general.

Its funny that you conveniently ignore what I said about no civilization lasting forever regardless of being sinful or not.
You didn't say sinful, but "sinful", implying a belief on your part that right and wrong don't really exist. Yet, I bet you'd cry foul if someone stole from you, or tried to hurt your family. Our reactions - not our actions - serve as evidence of our awareness concerning objective truth.

Like I said, you pick and choose what you want to believe.
I can't comment on this unless you elaborate.
Old 09-24-13, 02:15 AM
Banned

Yet, you seem to believe that just because small changes within genetic boundaries exist, those same changes can eventually turn an amoeba into a human. How is your stance on that any different from mine on erosion?
Well for starters, I know these things are incredibly slow processes that take millions of years. A 40 day Flood isn't NEARLY a long enough period of time to form entire mountain ranges. It simply does not work that way. Anyone with even the barest amount of scientific knowledge knows that.

No, because the Flood wasn't just rain. It was a combination of some water from the air, and a whole lot more gushing up from the ground.
Huh?

I never said they failed specifically because of that choice, just that civilizations fall due to wrong behaviors in general.
[Lex Luthor]WROOOOONG!!![/Lex Luthor]

Seriously, dude, name one civilization that has failed due to the wrong behaviors.

MOST civilizations end when they get conquered by another civilization. A stronger civilization meets a weaker civilization and 9 times out of 10 they go to war and the weaker one dies.

You didn't say sinful, but "sinful", implying a belief on your part that right and wrong don't really exist. Yet, I bet you'd cry foul if someone stole from you, or tried to hurt your family. Our reactions - not our actions - serve as evidence of our awareness concerning objective truth.
That's not what I am implying at all. I definitely believe in right and wrong, morals and ethics. What I don't believe in is sin. They're not the same thing.

I can't comment on this unless you elaborate.
You seriously don't know what picking and choosing means? Maybe my estimate of a 3rd grade education was too high for you. It basically means that if Theory A and Theory B both are equally plausible with the same amount of supporting evidence, you are picking and choosing if you believe one but not the other.
Old 09-24-13, 02:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wait. moviefan2k4 still thinks the Flood created the mountains? He clearly needs to read the Bible if he believes that.

For forty days the flood kept coming on the earth, and as the waters increased they lifted the ark high above the earth. The waters rose and increased greatly on the earth, and the ark floated on the surface of the water. They rose greatly on the earth, and all the high mountains under the entire heavens were covered. The waters rose and covered the mountains to a depth of more than fifteen cubits.

Genesis 7:17-20
Even the Bible itself refutes the notion that the Flood created the mountains because it acknowledges that the mountains already existed.
Old 09-24-13, 02:36 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 190 Likes on 145 Posts

I'm just gonna throw this in hoping nobody takes it personally, but as a person with Asperger's myself I don't see how anyone else with Asperger's could be religious. I can't simply "believe" something without seeing definite proof, and the biggest problem I have with religion (and I'm not saying ALL religious people are like this) is that a lot of it says "If you don't believe this, you'll go to hell" or something else bad will happen to you if you don't believe or obey it. There are a few other people in the group I go to who are also religious, and I haven't confronted them about this but that's how I feel about it. Again, no offense to anyone- another problem I have with religion is that many religious people take any questioning or criticism of it SO seriously. You can criticize anything I like and I won't take it as an insult, but it seems a lot of religious people take it that way if anything is criticized or questioned. If God ever speaks to me my opinions will certainly change, but so far that hasn't happened.
Old 09-24-13, 03:23 AM
Banned

I don't see how a person with Aspergers could post videos of himself on the internet either.

I mentioned earlier in the thread that while I don't know if I personally have Aspergers, I am extremely socially awkward. I can talk on message boards okay, but I hate verbally talking to people in real life, and posting a video of myself is something I wouldn't do even if hell was freezing over.

That plus moviefan has been in an intimate relationship with a woman while I never have been means that he is likely less socially awkward than I am.

That's kind of scary actually...
Old 09-24-13, 03:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Actually, many mock me here because I use science to defend my faith, a practice called apologetics. For example, science has proven erosion's a fact, so why can't it happen on a large scale in a short amount of time, instead of the other way around?

I think the main reason some don't want to acknowledge the possibility a worldwide flood is because of the supernatural and moral implications involved.

You saved me the work by naming two; see below.

And they're both gone, too.

Not in the way you're suggesting. I have no problem with so-called "micro-evolution", even though I despise the term. That's been seen and repeated many times. What I don't agree with is "macro-evolution", also called "the goo to you, via the zoo".
Please, please stop trying to use science to explain things you must believe due to faith. It's like someone reading Aesop's Fables and then trying to explain the "science" behind how leopards got their spots. Its cute if a small child does it, but its pretty pathetic hearing about it from a grown man.
Old 09-24-13, 03:35 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Navinabob View Post
Please, please stop trying to use science to explain things you must believe due to faith. It's like someone reading Aesop's Fables and then trying to explain the "science" behind how leopards got their spots. Its cute if a small child does it, but its pretty pathetic hearing about it from a grown man.
Or like comic book nerds like myself trying to explain the science behind superheroes.
Old 09-24-13, 04:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't see how a person with Aspergers could post videos of himself on the internet either.
He didn't know he had Aspergers at the time, so therefore it didn't exist.

That plus moviefan has been in an intimate relationship with a woman while I never have been means that he is likely less socially awkward than I am.
Maybe you should try picking up chicks at the homeless shelter. Hey, it worked for him.
Old 09-24-13, 06:40 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

It's not unheard of or someone with AS to be religious. Religions have rules. Rules and structure are often heavily focused on by AS individuals. If anything, this thread sure seems like a good validation of its original topic...
Old 09-24-13, 07:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Is there any correlation between aspergers and children that have been homeschooled? It seems most of the people I've encountered with this condition have been homeschooled. I'm not sure if they're homeschooled due to the condition, or if the condition was exacerbated due to the homeschooling.

I'm not a fan of homeschooling at all, as I feel that children in this situation are usually not getting the necessary social interactions that are necessary to their development.
Old 09-24-13, 07:21 AM
Banned

Well for starters, I know these things are incredibly slow processes that take millions of years. A 40 day Flood isn't NEARLY a long enough period of time to form entire mountain ranges. It simply does not work that way. Anyone with even the barest amount of scientific knowledge knows that.
The Flood lasted longer than 40 days; Noah and his family were in the Ark for a little over a year, until the water receded.

Huh?
This isn't the only reference, but its definitely a primary one.

"In the six hundredth year of Noah's life, in the second month, on the seventeenth day of the month, on that day all the fountains of the great deep burst forth, and the windows of the heavens were opened." ~Genesis 7:11~

Seriously, dude, name one civilization that has failed due to the wrong behaviors.
Where would you like me to start?

That's not what I am implying at all. I definitely believe in right and wrong, morals and ethics. What I don't believe in is sin. They're not the same thing.
How so?

You seriously don't know what picking and choosing means? Maybe my estimate of a 3rd grade education was too high for you. It basically means that if Theory A and Theory B both are equally plausible with the same amount of supporting evidence, you are picking and choosing if you believe one but not the other.
I'm aware of the phrase's meaning, but why do you think it applies to what we were discussing?

I don't see how a person with Asperger's could post videos of himself on the internet either.
From what I've been reading, not only does every person with this condition have a different number symptoms, but the intensity of each one varies, too.

My relationship with Michelle was far from conventional, and I'm not just talking about adultery. We mostly stayed to ourselves through each attempt at making things work, only involving others when necessary.

Originally Posted by Navinabob View Post
The last time I checked, such analytical methods are necessary for any field of study. The researcher starts with a particular question, and seeks evidence to support one conclusion or the other. Everyone does this with what they believe about life, and Christians don't get points with anyone for being stupid. The word "apologetics" comes from the Greek term apologia, meaning an intellectual defense.

Originally Posted by Shagrath View Post
Is there any correlation between aspergers and children that have been homeschooled? It seems most of the people I've encountered with this condition have been homeschooled. I'm not sure if they're homeschooled due to the condition, or if the condition was exacerbated due to the homeschooling.
I haven't heard of any connection between the two, though if I had kids, I'd want them schooled at home. Sadly, there's an extremely radical push toward secular humanism in today's classrooms.
Old 09-24-13, 07:54 AM
Banned

The Flood lasted longer than 40 days; Noah and his family were in the Ark for a little over a year, until the water receded.
Wheeee a whole year or 40 days, it matters not. The erosion of mountains takes millions of years. Noah could have lived his entire life on the ark and it still wouldn't have been a long enough period of time.

Can you seriously not see this?

If rainwater caused huge mountain ranges to form in only one single year, then imagine how something MUCH MUCH smaller, such as buildings and skyscrapers, would be affected every time it rained. There would be significant erosion every single time there was a heavy rain. Buildings would be constantly eroding away and having to be re-built. Heck, you go to sleep and it rains hard overnight, and you wake up and your house has eroded away.

Erosion does NOT work that quickly.

"In the six hundredth year of Noah's life, in the second month, on the seventeenth day of the month, on that day all the fountains of the great deep burst forth, and the windows of the heavens were opened." ~Genesis 7:11~
"Fountains of the great deep" sounds more like volcanoes to me. Water doesn't exist in the "great deep." Molten lava does.

And hey wait a minute. The dwarves of Moria dug too deep and unleashed the Balrog. Did Noah unleash the Balrog?

Where would you like me to start?
I am just asking you to name one civilization that ended because it was sinful. You keep dancing around the question. If all these evil civilizations kept ending due to their wicked ways, it surely wouldn't be that difficult to name just one.

How so?
Sin comes from a divine source and is universal. Right/wrong/ethics/morality are dependent on each distinct society. What's right or ethical in one society may not be so in another society.

I'm aware of the phrase's meaning, but why do you think it applies to what we were discussing?
Because you pick and choose what you believe. You believe in "survival of the fittest" but not evolution even though they both have the same roots. Oh wait you believe in "micro-evolution" like all canine species coming from a master dog all over the course of a few thousand years no less, but not "macro-evolution" like monkeys evolving into humans over the course of millions of years.

Like I said you pick and choose what to believe to suit your own needs.
Old 09-24-13, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I definitely believe in the power of prayer, but I also know that God gave humans a brain to use, not ignore.

I can, and I do. There's no concrete evidence for a genetic connection to homosexual desire...but even if there were, should people act on every impulse they have? Before you say the same about Asperger's, bear in mind that a social communication disorder does not carry the same potential for humanity's destruction as seeking out a mate of the same sex. If everyone did that, humans would go extinct, whereas if everyone had Asperger's, we'd simply have to learn new ways of interaction.
If everyone was a homosexual? What the fuck, man?

Do you live at home with your mom? You said you were raised on fear and your mom threw you out. Your mom is probably responsible for instilling that awful religious worldview as well.

Seriously man, man up and take some responsibility for your life. I can't believe people are coddling you.
Old 09-24-13, 08:02 AM

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

Mod note: We already have a sub-forum dedicated to Religion and Politics. Please keep that talk there.
Old 09-24-13, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 563 Likes on 360 Posts

Jesus Christ, why do people still even reply?
Old 09-24-13, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The only way I am to blame for people's reactions to my remarks is if I say something deliberately offensive. This applies to people without Asperger's as well; its not yours, mine, or anyone else's job to hold offense as the highest crime. Everyone's beliefs and statements have the potential for offending somebody; intent makes the difference. My basic rule is this: say what you mean, mean what you say, and treat others first the way you want to be treated. Their responses aren't your concern or responsibility, so long as you're not hypocritical.
This is a wonderful notion to hide behind. If you take this stance, you never really have relationships, you have interactions that most likely end in people "taking you the wrong way" and you being "victimized" by them.

We are human beings who have relationships which allow us to be connected. What I say and do impacts other people and I have to be aware and responsible for that in all my interactions. That is NOT to say that I have to change my opinion and expression of same on something in order to be "politically correct" but that I must enter into relationships with full awareness of the impact my statements have on others.

If your whole life is filled with "that's your problem you were hurt by that, my intent was otherwise, so it's not my problem" you will walk a lonely, lonely road till the end.
Old 09-24-13, 09:08 AM
Admin

Received 347 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Mod note: We already have a sub-forum dedicated to Religion and Politics. Please keep that talk there.
Admin note - If you guys can't be bothered listening to the instructions of the mods here, then I'm not going to be bothered cleaning up this thread which has completely sidetracked into a politics thread. Closing.
Old 09-24-13, 11:10 AM
Admin

Received 347 Likes on 223 Posts

mod note - I've removed all the references to political content after Groucho's warning. This is your last and final warning about inserting political discussions into this thread. Reopening thread.
Old 09-24-13, 11:23 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Fuck it, man. Just close it.
Old 09-24-13, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Why do people seem to hunt down moviefan threads and then act angry and offended? You know what they are going to be about so just leave them alone.
Old 09-24-13, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DeputyDave View Post
Why do people seem to hunt down moviefan threads and then act angry and offended? You know what they are going to be about so just leave them alone.
There are a number of posters obsessed with religion on the forum and when you add someone like moviefan to the mix it spirals out of control very quickly.
Banned

Leave it open. This thread is what drew me to DVD Talk the last 4 days. Though at this point I don't know how we are going to keep politics/religion out of it. Maybe move it to that section.
DVD Talk Legend

Received 133 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by DeputyDave View Post
On the flip side, why does moviefan waste so much time arguing for religion in a community that's largely non-religious? Oh right, the asperger's...
Old 09-24-13, 11:40 AM
Banned

Assburgers made me do it.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.