DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Other Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk-9/)
-   -   gazelle.com ...anyone trade-in their cell phone? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk/613562-gazelle-com-anyone-trade-their-cell-phone.html)

OldBoy 09-19-13 09:50 AM

Re: gazelle.com ...anyone trade-in their cell phone?

Originally Posted by CRM114 (Post 11840558)
Amazon is a gift card too, I think.

From what I understand, gazelle just cleans them up and sells them on eBay. If you really wanted the most cash, eBay is the way to go. Personally, I didn't want the hassle.

i know about eBay, i've had great success selling a phone (Droid) before, but with Verizon gc it curtails cost of new phone or bill if i do get through and can actually get a 5s...

D.Pham5GLTE (>60GB) 09-19-13 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by CRM114 (Post 11840558)
Amazon is a gift card too, I think.

From what I understand, gazelle just cleans them up and sells them on eBay. If you really wanted the most cash, eBay is the way to go. Personally, I didn't want the hassle.

Obviously selling yourself would net the most but also puts you at higher risk for fraud and idiot buyers.

hail2dking 09-19-13 11:57 AM

You could just throw it on craigslist for $350 or so and see if anyone bites, they'll lowball you down, but you might get $250 or so pretty easily

OldBoy 09-19-13 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by hail2dking (Post 11840698)
You could just throw it on craigslist for $350 or so and see if anyone bites, they'll lowball you down, but you might get $250 or so pretty easily

i think i'll take the easy $210 from Verizon and call it a day. thanks for suggestion though...

CRM114 09-19-13 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB) (Post 11840668)
Obviously selling yourself would net the most but also puts you at higher risk for fraud and idiot buyers.

I didn't want the hassle of someone complaining about a tiny scratch or something.

dstrauss 09-19-13 02:48 PM

Target also buys back cellphones if you're getting a new phone. I bought a new Galaxy S4 last week for $149, they gave me a $50 Target gift card plus paid me $50 for my old Galaxy S2.

OldBoy 09-19-13 08:20 PM

could some please tell me:

1) what do these companies, like Verizon do with the phones that they can offer their consumer $210 for an outdated model (in this case the 4s)?

thanks.

Troy Stiffler 09-20-13 05:31 PM

They don't make money on the used phone. It's a gimmick. They get to extend your contract and lock you in for another year or two. Most people are paying over $100/mo for their phones and data now.

I worked with a local Nextel store before. They just got to keep the trade ins. There's a lot of traders out there who handle used phones.

A dealer/branch will get around $200-$400 commission.

Gambit 09-20-13 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by OldBoy (Post 11841259)
could some please tell me:

1) what do these companies, like Verizon do with the phones that they can offer their consumer $210 for an outdated model (in this case the 4s)?

thanks.

I don't know if carriers handle it differently, but I would think most end up getting resold (probably outside of the U.S>).

https://helpcenter.gazelle.com/app/a...azelle-buys%3F

edstein 09-20-13 07:22 PM

Verizon is offering $200 for a 4S trade-in on a 5S. Best Buy will trade-in phones as well.

Michael T Hudson 09-20-13 09:04 PM

Sold two iphone 4's last year. It was fast and easy.

DVD Polizei 09-21-13 12:06 AM

Sell it on eBay for $500. Some idiot would buy it. You could get a 5S for free. Do the same thing in 6 months when your iPhone becomes obsolete and a new one replaces it.

OldBoy 09-21-13 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei (Post 11842629)
Sell it on eBay for $500. Some idiot would buy it. You could get a 5S for free. Do the same thing in 6 months when your iPhone becomes obsolete and a new one replaces it.

the more i think about it, the more i am leaning towards the Bay...

Mankal 10-01-13 08:58 AM

It's legit. I had an Iphone 4 that went through the washing machine and was completely dead. They offered 50 dollars for a non-working phone and sent me a prepaid box. The good thing is that they send you emails telling you when they receive the phone and another email when everything is approved.