Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion and Politics

Vegetarianism

Old 09-09-13, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vegetarianism

About two months ago, our family decided to start being vegetarians. My wife decided first to go completely vegan for health reasons. I jumped on board for support and our daughter loved the idea. Although my daughter and I eat almost exclusively vegan too, we will slip in a piece of pizza or a donut here or there. My daughter (14) is totally into it and has always had a slight repulsion to meat.

Some observations:

1. I started for my own health reasons as well. I could stand to lose 10 lbs. I'm 170 and should be 160. I also have had gastro issues so the more fiber the better. I have to say, and I don't want to sound like a dick, that the animal stuff really started to matter to me. It is pretty disgusting (on many levels) how modern factory meat production is done.

2. It's nice to be liberated from the meat and dairy aisles. Packaged meat is pretty repellant at this point. I didn't want this to happen, it just did. Almond milk tastes great and I use soy half and half in coffee.

3. It's not that hard to eat this way. We still have hot meals and an endless variety of stuff to make.

My general eating philosophy is this: Yes, humans are omnivores. There are many places on earth in 2013 where meat is a necessity. But I live in the suburbs with humongous grocery stores. I am also a sentient being. I can CHOOSE to eat other things. I don't believe a cow or a pig has to die for me to eat. I want no part of it any longer.

Any tips or recipes or general advice, feel free.
Old 09-09-13, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Vegetarianism

I have no problem with people that choose vegetarianism, and quite frankly I probably would too if I didn't love to eat meat.

Vegans can fuck off, though
Old 09-09-13, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

You don't think I loved a cheesesteak?

I hate the word "vegan" - it makes it sound weird or subversive. It doesn't help that the public face of veganism is a tattooed hipster with a nosering. I don't even know if we would qualify since a true vegan would shun all leather and products made with or by animal products.
Old 09-09-13, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

More power to you. I just can't do it. I have no problem eating lunches and most dinners meatless but then there are cookouts and barbecues and such that I would never be able to say no to.
Old 09-09-13, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been vegan for 23 years (since I was 15). My wife and I have two children (2.5 and 5) who we are also raising vegan at home (although we are ok with it if they eat dairy/eggs at a birthday party or something). The 5 year old is old enough to ask if something is vegan though and usually won't eat it.

My wife is more into it for health than I am - she's now into juicing/vitamixing and trying to avoid more processed foods. We're making our own almond milk with the vitamixer which is pretty cool. I do like fake meats though and don't eat as well I could - but also trying to get better about it.

Anyway - there are tons of amazing cookbooks, tips on the web, etc... I'm sure there will be several posters here that will mock your choice and tell you that "bacon tastes gooooood..." But if you have any specific questions, let me know.

And yes - for me, if I had to kill an animal to survive, I would. Until that day comes, I'm happy with my vegan diet. There are enough alternatives these days that come close enough to the flavor that I don't miss it (although it has been a very long time for me).
Old 09-09-13, 02:26 PM
Banned

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Fh8otodmM5o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 09-09-13, 02:27 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah. Good for you, man. I'm Mexican. That would be a bitch to do. Also my taste buds aren't all that much of a fan of the greater variety of veggies aside from the generic ones.
Old 09-09-13, 02:31 PM

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

I'm not really a vegetarian but I'm making an effort to avoid meat, with the exception of fish (watching my cholesterol, among other things). One interesting thing thing I've found is that I greatly prefer true vegetarian dishes over dishes that are made to taste like meat.
Old 09-09-13, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
It doesn't help that the public face of veganism is a tattooed hipster with a nosering.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/BhZdIZZ8UpE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 09-09-13, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23 View Post
More power to you. I just can't do it. I have no problem eating lunches and most dinners meatless but then there are cookouts and barbecues and such that I would never be able to say no to.
Cookouts are tough. We had our first cookout since switching. I made shish kabobs. Sirloin on a few, veggies on a bunch, shrimp on some. Now going to Nashville was tough. We did find a vegetarian restaurant and found stuff to get by on for the week.

I'm not completely opposed to eating fish or seafood. I don't but I would.

Originally Posted by Solid Snake View Post
Yeah. Good for you, man. I'm Mexican. That would be a bitch to do. Also my taste buds aren't all that much of a fan of the greater variety of veggies aside from the generic ones.
Mexican food is a great choice for vegetarians.

In fact, we're in a bit of a rut not living in a large city. Our vegetarian fast food choices are Mexican, Italian (pasta usually), or Asian.

Last edited by CRM114; 09-09-13 at 02:46 PM.
Old 09-09-13, 02:56 PM
Banned

Yeah but I can't part those Fajitas, carne asada, etc.
Old 09-09-13, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm a vegetarian too, for about 20 hours of every day.
Old 09-09-13, 03:03 PM
RIP

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

If you do not eat meat, your penis will not work properly.
Old 09-09-13, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

If your mom eats chicken, your penis will be small. Decisions, decisions, decisions...
Old 09-09-13, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

All I have to say is Churrasco
Old 09-09-13, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by EddieMoney View Post
If you do not eat meat, your penis will not work properly.
Originally Posted by wishbone View Post
If your mom eats chicken, your penis will be small. Decisions, decisions, decisions...
If you eat your penis, you will lose weight. But not much if your mom ate chicken.
Old 09-09-13, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Th0r S1mpson View Post
If you eat your penis, you will lose weight. But not much if your mom ate chicken.
Too much TV radiation...
Spoiler:
Old 09-09-13, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think if it came down to it, I could do the vegitarianism thing*. There are quite a number of vegetables that I do like the taste of. Every now and again I get on a vegetables kick, so it's probably something I could do if I had to.

*except for bacon. I'd never give that up. Never!
Old 09-09-13, 04:03 PM
Banned

I'm trying not to eat potatoes. Isn't going so well.
Old 09-09-13, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23 View Post
I have no problem with people that choose vegetarianism, and quite frankly I probably would too if I didn't love to eat meat.

Vegans can fuck off, though
I love people who call themselves vegetarians...but still eat fish or chicken.

You are not a vegetarian if you eat meat. You just don't eat red meat, congrats.
Old 09-09-13, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by superdeluxe View Post
I love people who call themselves vegetarians...but still eat fish or chicken.

You are not a vegetarian if you eat meat. You just don't eat red meat, congrats.
That's fairly hateful and judgmental. People should be able to be vegetarians no matter what they eat.
Old 09-09-13, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Life is all about balance, extremist views in any direction generally lead to problems long term.

I have periods where I have consumed less meat, eating too much meat is certainly a problem, and eating none leaves you with a struggle to get the RDA of protein (which is no big deal short term, but long term is another story)

I avoid soy, I don't feel it works out for men long term to eat a lot of soy.

Anyway, everyone does their own research and makes their own decisions for whatever reasons. I avoid eating lots of meat anymore for health reasons (sucks to get older) but that means I try to stick to 4-6oz of LEAN meat per day as a MAXIMUM. I eat dairy (cheese, yogurt, milk) and on days when I eat no meat and all veggie I supplement with some extra whey protein (think bodybuilder protein powder from GNC)

On to the question you asked, but not sure if you want a real answer or not, recipes!

I love to make some Channa Masala when I need a meatless meal

http://www.food.com/recipe/channa-masala-17471

I post this recipe, but I mix it up a lot and add things that shouldn't be in it sometimes For example, tomato paste.

When I want a little more of a twist, I substitute half the chick peas with black beans. Very easy to mix this up to taste different and serve with some healthier brown rice, very filling too.

Cookouts are easy, black bean burgers (like Amy's brand) and/or veggie burgers i general (Costco sells a few good ones, they mix it up).

Even if that means you bring your own to the party, the host is usually grateful you brought your own lame veggie shit with you (just don't be the tool that insists the grill be cleaned and scrubbed of all meat before your veggie patty touches it )

As I said, everything in balance. For the last year I have been on a less meat kick, that worked until I hit the all you can eat resort on my vacation about 3 weeks ago, burgers and steaks were most of what I ate When I got back home, vegetarian for a week to clean my system out a bit
Old 09-09-13, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
My general eating philosophy is this: Yes, humans are omnivores. There are many places on earth in 2013 where meat is a necessity. But I live in the suburbs with humongous grocery stores. I am also a sentient being. I can CHOOSE to eat other things. I don't believe a cow or a pig has to die for me to eat. I want no part of it any longer.
Good for you. I mean it.

That paragraph is more than a statement of philosophy. With the exception of the last sentence, it is a statement of fact. The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics has concluded that vegetarian diets are healthy. There are numerous reasons for going vegetarian. In developed nations, there is only one reason for not going vegetarian: "I like the taste of meat."

Last edited by Ghostbuster; 09-09-13 at 07:52 PM.
Old 09-09-13, 07:58 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Ghostbuster View Post
there is only one reason for not going vegetarian: "I like the taste of meat."
Two reasons. Meat is wonderful and you are going to die anyway.
Old 09-09-13, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I've gone in the opposite direction. I eat a ketogenic (very low carbohydrate) diet. I've been at it for over a year now. I'm down about 95 pounds and I've never felt better. My diet consists of mostly meat, with occasional veggies thrown in. Some people have had great success with a carnivorous diet, essentially eating nothing but meat, with or without some eggs and cheese.

Knowing what I know now, I can't imagine going back to the standard American diet. I've been eating basically the opposite of standard dietary recommendations (high fat, little to no grains, etc.) and I've never been healthier.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.