I only fly Twikoff Air - best frequent flier program
36.36%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Spirit Air; Good? Bad?

Old 08-26-13, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Spirit Air; Good? Bad?

I'm flying Spirit for the 2nd time ever, and I'm still undecided if I like or not.

I can see if your not checking a bag and are ok w/random seat assignment you saving money. But, if you check a bag and want a specific seat (say an isle) I'm not sure it saves you. Especially if you are not a member of their fare club.

I flew from Dallas to Denver. It was about $250 on SWA but of course not non-stop. Spirit was about $150, but I pre-paid for a carry on and seat assignment so was about $190. Well I screwed up and took a bag to check in. Of course now I paid above the SWA fare. But I had checked and really thought I pre-paid a check in (which is much cheaper than doing it at the airport).

I'm thinking this will be my last Spirit flight. I mean the business model is cleaver, but I think it goes to far. To much self serve, to much nickel and dime (not even water on the flight is free), to many options (there are about three prices for everything depending if you are a member and if you pre-purchase, do it at check in or at gate).

Last edited by Sdallnct; 08-27-13 at 04:40 AM.
Old 08-26-13, 04:05 PM
RIP

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts
Re: Spirit Air; Good? Bad?

Translator?
Old 08-26-13, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 108 Likes on 82 Posts

I flew on Spirit recently to Dallas. Pretty low standards compared to the others but you get what you pay for. No free snacks (including water). We did choose to up ourselves to 1st class for the flight home. I think it was something like $50 more per ticket, which was still way cheaper than Jet Blue. Their planes don't have separate 1st class sections; just the front few rows with more leg room and two seeds wide rather than three.
Old 08-26-13, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by EddieMoney View Post
Translator?
Yeah, i'm having a tough time getting all that too
Old 08-26-13, 04:16 PM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only time I flew spirit they made fun of one flight attendant several times. It was funny and left the experience pretty positive. First, to a round of applause for a flight attendant on her first day of work, when at the end of the flight it was revealed that she's been flying for 20+ years. Later, the announcement came on to warn passenger that when the lights come on, don't be alarmed of her face. "She won't know she's not good looking if passenger won't gasp."
Old 08-26-13, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 134 Likes on 106 Posts

Spirit sucks, and they're kind of scary.
Old 08-26-13, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Translator?
Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
Yeah, i'm having a tough time getting all that too
Trouble with my poor grammar, spelling, or not familiar with Spirit Air?

Spirit Air is very polarizing in the travel field. Some like the no thrills, cheap rates. But others are turned off by,

-Member club needed to get best rates is $60 per year
-only allowed one free, small (fit under seat) carry-on. Large or additional carry-on is extra. As is any checked bag.
-if you want to reserve a particular seat, there is a charge. Free means you take your chances of where to sit upon checkin at airport.
-No free drinks or snacks on plane. Not water, not peanuts. Tho all available for purchase.
-several prices for about everything. For example, one price for a checked bag if your a member or not. Another if you pre-pay before getting to airport. Big jump in price if you have to pay for a carry on at gate.
Old 08-26-13, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Translator?
if you replace "to" with "too" it makes a helluva lot more sense.

Also - Spirit sucks a giant bag of dicks but if you don't mind be treated like a sub-species, like paying for pop or water and don't take luggage (at all) it's a good way to save money.
Old 08-27-13, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bad does not accurately describe what a piece of shit airline Spirit is...I will never fly them again.
Old 08-27-13, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by dave-o View Post
Bad does not accurately describe what a piece of shit airline Spirit is...I will never fly them again.
I'm with you. I flew them once; that was enough.
Old 08-27-13, 01:30 AM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Why would you guys never fly again via spirit?
Old 08-27-13, 02:14 AM

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

So, they nickel and dime you for every little thing...how is that different from other airlines?
Old 08-27-13, 04:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
So, they nickel and dime you for every little thing...how is that different from other airlines?
I travel a lot for work. Spirit takes it to an entirely new level (the nickel and dime). You can't even get a seat assignment unless you pay extra. Other than a purse sized carry on, no free bags at all. No free water or soda.

My initial fare was like $150 but I ended up paying about $250. All I did was have a bigger carry on, one checked bag and wanted an assigned seat (isle).

http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2013/0...airlines-fees/

This is also what takes it to another level. Notice there are 10 different prices just for baggage fees (check-in and carry-on).

http://www.spirit.com/OptionalServices

So you do want to check a bag? It could be as little as $20 or as much as $100. Or several prices in between.

Last edited by Sdallnct; 08-27-13 at 04:47 AM.
Old 08-27-13, 05:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 273 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
How is that different from anything these days?

"The access panel had five screws instead of four, so there was one extra screw to remove. That's why you were charged an additional $35."
Old 08-27-13, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Lipid View Post
The times I have used them have quite simply been the worst flying experiences I've had in my life. The customer service is absolutely deplorable and they treat you like total shit. The last time I flew with them was returning from my honeymoon, when a Spirit gate agent caused us to miss a connecting flight because the carry on bag that we fucking paid for was too large. Keep in mind, this is the same fucking carry on that had already come with us on three Spirit flights that very trip (two connecting on the way there and the first leg of our flight home). Despite our pleading with her that we will miss our flight, she assured us that we would not and the agent at the desk would be speedy. The agent at the desk was a fucking moron, took too long and we missed our flight. Afterwards we asked a manger to come over and visually inspect our bag in one of their measuring thingies. It fit. Technically it was less than a half inch to thick. Instead of empathizing with us and apologizing for making us miss our flight, this manager was a total asshat.

That was just the final straw, there have been at least three other times that I've experienced the shitty service of Spirit. Also, every single time I've flown with them, by the time you add up all of their fees, the ticket would have been cheaper or very close to the next cheapest ticket. It's just not worth the hassle. Fuck them.
Old 08-27-13, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 145 Likes on 110 Posts

I thought about flying Spirit but I can't remember why I changed my mind. Glad I did, after hearing these horror stories.
Old 08-27-13, 11:46 AM
RIP

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
Trouble with my poor grammar, spelling, or not familiar with Spirit Air?
The former. And I'm just messing with you.
Old 08-27-13, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've taken Spirit three times in my life... and only because the other airlines were so ridiculously overpriced I thought it was the right risk to take.

1. going to Denver with the family, the fat / angry Spirit counter agent asked if I purchased my ticket before or after October 1 of that year. I told her I don't remember but why does it matter... it matters because they jacked up the baggage prices $10 / bag after October 1. I chose wisely with my answer and saved $10... but don't you think she'd just save the $10 /bag and be a good CSR?

2. We took a single flight to Florida for a few days and were going to catch a Spirit flight to Nassau, Bahamas for 4 more. While at Disney with my 3 and 8 year old kids, Spirit of India called me to tell me that my plane was canceled to Nassau... not the flight, the whole goddam plane! They did nothing to offer me another flight or help so I spent the entire day at Disney working phones to get a flight to my $600/night room in the Bahamas. Fortunately Spirit did refund my money and gave me $50 in vouchers. I wrote their President and they basically told me to go fuck myself.

3. No issues -- this was more shocking than the Bahamas thing.
Old 08-27-13, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Rob V View Post
I've taken Spirit three times in my life... and only because the other airlines were so ridiculously overpriced I thought it was the right risk to take.

1. going to Denver with the family, the fat / angry Spirit counter agent asked if I purchased my ticket before or after October 1 of that year. I told her I don't remember but why does it matter... it matters because they jacked up the baggage prices $10 / bag after October 1. I chose wisely with my answer and saved $10... but don't you think she'd just save the $10 /bag and be a good CSR?

2. We took a single flight to Florida for a few days and were going to catch a Spirit flight to Nassau, Bahamas for 4 more. While at Disney with my 3 and 8 year old kids, Spirit of India called me to tell me that my plane was canceled to Nassau... not the flight, the whole goddam plane! They did nothing to offer me another flight or help so I spent the entire day at Disney working phones to get a flight to my $600/night room in the Bahamas. Fortunately Spirit did refund my money and gave me $50 in vouchers. I wrote their President and they basically told me to go fuck myself.

3. No issues -- this was more shocking than the Bahamas thing.
Do you mean that they canceled their Orlando (or wherever) to Nassau route? That is supremely bizarre. You'd think they would need some... planning for that.
Old 08-27-13, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Flying these days on virtually any domestic carrier is like riding the damn Greyhound.
Old 08-27-13, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have a friend that flies a good bit (and he knows how cheap I am) I asked him it was worth it to save $200 and fly Spirit for my family vacation this year.

He said Spirit is a complete piece of shit and even though I am cheap, I would regret the decision to fly Spirit to the point that it would probably ruin my entire vacation.

I did not fly Spirit on his advice.
Old 08-27-13, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet View Post
Do you mean that they canceled their Orlando (or wherever) to Nassau route? That is supremely bizarre. You'd think they would need some... planning for that.
Yes, exactly. I can't imagine how many people were boned by this. Fortunately I caught Jet Blue for $75 / person the next day. I really lucked out.
Old 08-27-13, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Lipid View Post
I hear they are owned by a bunch of hatetheists, which is ironic considering the name.
Old 08-27-13, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Ironic. I just got a survey from them on my weekend flight. Only one question; "On a scale of 0 to 10 (0 being very unlikely and 10 being very likely) would you recommend Spirit Airline to friends or colleagues?".

I gave them a 1. I mean if you could pre-pay a carry on and willing to not have a seat assignment and not have any check in luggage, you could likely save a little money. But overall, I wouldn't. And I need to go in and cancel my fare club membership. Tho I don't think it renews till January.
Old 08-27-13, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Rob V View Post
Yes, exactly. I can't imagine how many people were boned by this. Fortunately I caught Jet Blue for $75 / person the next day. I really lucked out.
And I mean, that's obviously something that had been in the works for a while. Airlines don't permanently cancel routes on one day's notice. Why the hell were they still taking reservations for it? That's just awful.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.