36.36%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Spirit Air; Good? Bad?

Old 08-27-13, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Spirit Air; Good? Bad?

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet View Post
And I mean, that's obviously something that had been in the works for a while. Airlines don't permanently cancel routes on one day's notice. Why the hell were they still taking reservations for it? That's just awful.
This is the same company that ran ads making fun of the BP oil spill.
Old 08-27-13, 07:21 PM
Admin

Received 343 Likes on 220 Posts

Spirit is an extremely cheap airline and it looks like you feel it every second of the experience with them. No, I would not travel with them.

I get that low prices are what drive consumer's interest in today's airline market, but Spirit takes it too far. I'm surprised they don't charge you a roof fee for having one over your head.

"Folks, this is your Captain, Joe McFucknuts. We're a little short on gas before takeoff, so we're gonna need those credit cards out so we can gas up for our flight to Miami. Thanks a bunch for flying Spirit!"
Old 08-27-13, 09:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by VinVega View Post
Spirit is an extremely cheap airline and it looks like you feel it every second of the experience with them. No, I would not travel with them.

I get that low prices are what drive consumer's interest in today's airline market, but Spirit takes it too far. I'm surprised they don't charge you a roof fee for having one over your head.

"Folks, this is your Captain, Joe McFucknuts. We're a little short on gas before takeoff, so we're gonna need those credit cards out so we can gas up for our flight to Miami. Thanks a bunch for flying Spirit!"
Seriously, with the way this airline works you could see them charging for oxygen half way through the flight.
Old 08-27-13, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 132 Likes on 85 Posts

My daughter flew Spirit to Cabo this year. On the way home, her leg from San Diego to Portland was cancelled. They proposed putting her on another Spirit flight 5 days later. She and her friends ended up renting a car and driving back. I've heard nothing but horror stories about Spirit--don't use them if your time has any value because they have no reasonable contingency plan if flights get cancelled or delayed.
Old 08-28-13, 03:41 AM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like you have your own equivalent to UK/Ireland's Ryan Air!The linked article is too long to quote but, basically, they'll unashamedly charge for anything in order, they say, to change passenger behaviour (in a way that will increase profits).

The guy in charge seemingly plays hardball with airports, plane manufacturers and passengers alike.

All in all, based on the various interviews with him that I have heard and read over the past decade or so, he seems like an all-round... delightful fellow!
Old 08-28-13, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/HPyl2tOaKxM?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 08-29-13, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I don't mind <b>Spirit Air</b> as long as you know what you are paying for. If you want convenience or comfort, you are better off going elsewhere.

The one time I flew with them, it was because going on any other airline was going to cost me close to $800 more. I pre-bought all the Spirit options (big seat, extra luggage, meal, etc.) which added to the price of my ticket but I still end up ahead.

I do not plan on ever flying with them again.

I fly almost exclusively United now.
Old 08-29-13, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The most outrageous charge is $10 to print your boarding pass at the airport.

While most airlines charge extra for luggage weighing more than 50 lbs, Spirit overweight charges start at 40 lbs.

I was stranded in Campaign, IL by Lincoln Land Express (NEVER use Lincoln Land Express!) and missed a flight going out of O'Hare. The charge to change my ticket, even with 3 hours of lead time for them was outrageous, more than the round trip fare I originally purchased.
Old 08-29-13, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

They did let me print my boarding pass at the airport for no charge. Tho had to do it myself at a kiosk.
Old 11-02-13, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

Well, everyone hates them. But "everyone" is flying them. Aghhhh. Guess is is like Walmart. People complain while they keep shopping there.

And I'm sure, in the copy cat world of airlines, we will see more of Spirits business model at other airlines.

http://business.time.com/2013/11/01/...ng-up-profits/

“When I hear people say, ‘I’m never gonna fly Spirit again,’ I roll my eyes,” said Hunter Keay, senior airline analyst at Wolfe Research. “The vast majority of them will. They might not be happy about it, but they will.”
Old 11-02-13, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 301 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by Doc Moonlight View Post
The most outrageous charge is $10 to print your boarding pass at the airport.

While most airlines charge extra for luggage weighing more than 50 lbs, Spirit overweight charges start at 40 lbs.

I was stranded in Campaign, IL by Lincoln Land Express (NEVER use Lincoln Land Express!) and missed a flight going out of O'Hare. The charge to change my ticket, even with 3 hours of lead time for them was outrageous, more than the round trip fare I originally purchased.
Good lord. Is that at a self-serve kiosk?
Old 11-03-13, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 472 Likes on 378 Posts

Well I'm cheap, but their extreme nickel and diming business model in charging extra for everything but oxygen, completely turned me off. It's the principle of the thing, dammit.

Sets a very bad precident in the slippery slope of lowering the bar and testing the consumer. Soon, I think all airlines will implement a similar 'model' taking Spirit's lead and shafting us even more... Of course, their prices will remain the same, or higher.