DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 07-10-18, 02:35 PM   #201
DVD Talk Godfather

Re: Having It All Without Having Children.

Around here $1600–2000 is the norm.

ďOK. You got me. Your real world example proves that I was wrong.Ē Ė grundle
Old 07-10-18, 02:45 PM   #202
Mostly Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXcentris View Post
I never got married and there's no way I'd have kids at my age. I'm close to my niece and nephew though, because their dad (my brother) died in 2003 when they were 10 and 5 respectively. So I'm sort of the father figure I guess.

Heck, now that I'm pushing 60, maybe I should buy a sports car.
I'm sorry to hear about your brother but good for you for being there for them.

And sure, you get yourself a nice sports car (but hurry up before we might get hit by 25% extra duty on cars )
Old 07-10-18, 04:01 PM   #203
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
Fuck that. That's some serious travel, drinks, and whoring money.
Old 07-10-18, 04:19 PM   #204
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:

In expensive SoCal, daycare can approach $2500-3000 per month. That takes a serious dent out of the salary of the liberated Mom who's busy working and not at home caring for her child, as might be more proper and appropriate, especially in the 0 to 6 year-old range. Many parents don't do the math right, and should pause to ask themselves: is it worth it, or is it best for our children? But, in SoCal, it takes two jobs to pay the mortgage on your $1M+ house, so you're fucked...
Old 07-10-18, 06:18 PM   #205

Several points:

I agree completely that after you reach a certain age, it's probably not a good idea to have children. I know of couples where the man is in his mid-60's, and his wife is significantly younger - and they have elementary-school age kids. Yes, people are living longer now, but I for one want to retire at a reasonable age - and not have to worry about still working & supporting a family when I'm 80.

I myself am divorced, without kids - thankfully. Not only would kids have been a big financial drain, but they would force me to be in contact with my ex-wife - whom I never want to see or deal with again.

Quote:
This is an interesting article, and I can definitely relate to certain aspects of this. Even though it's different for women who are single (than it is for guys), I do get sick of the condescending comments that people make when they find out I'm divorced without kids. In fact, I've actually found myself intentionally distancing myself from most of my married (now-former) friends because of this.

Last edited by TheDude; 07-11-18 at 05:03 PM.
Old 07-10-18, 06:42 PM   #206
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by cultshock View Post
I'm sorry to hear about your brother but good for you for being there for them.

And sure, you get yourself a nice sports car (but hurry up before we might get hit by 25% extra duty on cars )
Thanks. I get along great with my sis-in-law too. We went out briefly before she married my brother. lolll

And I was joking about the car. I'm fine with my Mazda 2. A new motorcycle on the other hand...
Old 07-10-18, 06:48 PM   #207
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post

In expensive SoCal, daycare can approach $2500-3000 per month. That takes a serious dent out of the salary of the liberated Mom who's busy working and not at home caring for her child, as might be more proper and appropriate, especially in the 0 to 6 year-old range. Many parents don't do the math right, and should pause to ask themselves: is it worth it, or is it best for our children? But, in SoCal, it takes two jobs to pay the mortgage on your $1M+ house, so you're fucked...
Kinda puts this in perspective:

Quote:
Tax season: Quebec families say daycare hike will take bite out of their budget

At an income of $75,000, the daily daycare fee will be $8.25, rising gradually to reach $20.70 per day for families with an annual income of $159,000. The basic fees of $7.55 a day are payable directly to the subsidized childcare service, while the additional contribution is paid when the income tax return is filed.
Old 07-10-18, 07:44 PM   #208
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

You can deduct child care expenses in America. I think it’s up to $5K or maybe $9K. I can’t remember.
Old 07-10-18, 07:48 PM   #209
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:

My $875-$1,100 example is in expensive SoCal. It’s not as high as you claim.

Also, most California school districts have introduced TK and/or pre-K. You don’t have to use it, but it’s a full year of school. So they start school at 4-5. That’s a whole year free.
Old 07-10-18, 08:02 PM   #210
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
My $875-$1,100 example is in expensive SoCal. Itís not as high as you claim.

Also, most California school districts have introduced TK and/or pre-K. You donít have to use it, but itís a full year of school. So they start school at 4-5. Thatís a whole year free.
$875 per month for 5 full 8-hour days per week, at somebody's house, or at a dedicated school? I personally know five couples who are paying from $2000 to $2500 per month for "very good quality" daycare in expensive SoCal cities (Newport Beach, La Jolla, Laguna Beach, Irvine, Beverly Hills). Many or most of the preschools and pre-K do offer "multiple-children per family" discounts, though!

If I had kids, you'd better believe I'd be taking full advantage of tax breaks / loopholes / cheats, and also practically insist my wife stay home with the kids and / or work from home unless she could prove beyond all doubt that it's cheaper *and* better in the long run to put the kids through daycare.

Once the kids reach K, it's all "free" education, and wifey could work away from home to her heart's content.
Old 07-10-18, 08:43 PM   #211
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Old 07-11-18, 02:17 PM   #212
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
$875 per month for 5 full 8-hour days per week, at somebody's house, or at a dedicated school? I personally know five couples who are paying from $2000 to $2500 per month for "very good quality" daycare in expensive SoCal cities (Newport Beach, La Jolla, Laguna Beach, Irvine, Beverly Hills). Many or most of the preschools and pre-K do offer "multiple-children per family" discounts, though!

If I had kids, you'd better believe I'd be taking full advantage of tax breaks / loopholes / cheats, and also practically insist my wife stay home with the kids and / or work from home unless she could prove beyond all doubt that it's cheaper *and* better in the long run to put the kids through daycare.

Once the kids reach K, it's all "free" education, and wifey could work away from home to her heart's content.
I already clearly broke it down in my previous post. Just go back and read it.
Old 07-11-18, 03:13 PM   #213
DVD Talk Godfather

Even with Pre-K and K, you still need to do an early afternoon pickup. If you have a job that lets you leave at 2pm, great. Most people don't. Some of the programs also close for the summer, at which point you need to pay for summer camp.

I am sure there are $3K/month daycares in SoCal. There are expensive daycares here in NYC, but I'm not using them as an example because it's disingenuous.

Also, the $5K isn't a tax write-off. You can use $5K in pre-tax money to pay for dependent care (whether that's a child, an adult you care for, etc.). Still nice, but it's not $5K off your tax bill.

ďOK. You got me. Your real world example proves that I was wrong.Ē Ė grundle
Old 07-11-18, 03:57 PM   #214
DVD Talk Hero

If I do have kids after 45, by then my house will be paid off for, and instead of paying for a mortgage, that same money would go towards the kid(s). So I won't have to pay for both at the same time like a lot of younger folks do.
Old 07-11-18, 04:23 PM   #215
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
If I do have kids after 45, by then my house will be paid off for, and instead of paying for a mortgage, that same money would go towards the kid(s). So I won't have to pay for both at the same time like a lot of younger folks do.
Do it only if YOU want to do it not because she wants to.
Old 07-11-18, 04:53 PM   #216
DVD Talk Hero

eh. I think I'm good either way - the thing is, I want cool, healthy kids, not sick, asshole kids. But I don't think you can pick... yet.
Old 07-11-18, 05:00 PM   #217
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
eh. I think I'm good either way - the thing is, I want cool, healthy kids, not sick, asshole kids. But I don't think you can pick... yet.
Design-a-Kid is on the way. Yet another way the rich will extend the arm of their reach beyond their current generation. And, of course, raise the bar in the "perfect kids" department for the Beautiful People.
Old 07-11-18, 05:22 PM   #218
DVD Talk Hero

Gattaca!
Old 07-13-18, 12:57 AM   #219
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have never in my life wanted kids or regretted not having any. My wife, on the other hand, brings up adopting occasionally. I'm almost 47 and my wife is 48. I told her, the only way I would do that is to adopt a 17 or 18 year old and make them get a job and help out with the bills. She hasn't agreed to that.