Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Craigslist phishing scam, what's the angle?

Other Talk "Otterville"

Old 07-23-13, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, I am trying to sell some of my daughter's old baby stuff on CL and I get the email below after I reply to the initial email. Just wondering what the angle is? Is it just to get my information? Any good replies, I should use?

Hello! let's do like this, actually now I'm not in town for now, I
came to visit my son so i wont be able to meet with you but am ok with
the condition as seen on the advert, I'll proceed in issuing a Check
out to you and when you received the check , I will make arrangement
for pick-up. So get back to me with below details asap.

Name:
Address:
City:
State:
Postal Code:
Phone Number:
Last Asking Price:

And as soon as this is provided, the payment will be overnight to you
and i will let you know when its mailed out. I need you to be honest
with the sale as I am a God fearing person.
Old 07-23-13, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Craigslist phishing scam, what's the angle?

If you were to follow through, I suspect you'd get a "check" of some sort that was "accidentally" made out for a larger amount. You'll be requested to simply deposit it and write a check back for the difference.
Old 07-23-13, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 118 Likes on 85 Posts

Don't bother replying. That's one of CL's infamous scamming or trolling emails that goes around all the time.
Old 07-23-13, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They send you a check for way more than the agreed price, then ask you to cash it and wire transfer the difference. A month later, the bank tells you the check was counterfeit.
Old 07-23-13, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Never trust any CL reply that uses "Advert" or "Postal code".

I learned that to my shame in the Casual Encounters section
Old 07-23-13, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Tell the Russian spambot that the "Last Asking Price" was 57,000 krugerrands. If they can counter with 4300 Rupyarupa, you're in business!
Old 07-23-13, 04:43 PM

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

I need you to be honest
with the sale as I am a God fearing person.
I would argue that if you don't sell to this guy you are anti-Christian.
Old 07-23-13, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
I would argue that if you don't sell to this guy you are anti-Christian.
Obviously it's moviefan2k4, who is buying all those baby clothes for unwanted children that were not aborted.
Old 07-23-13, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 143 Likes on 106 Posts

Don't see any problems with this at all. Write the damn check and get back with us, you unbeliever.
Old 07-23-13, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

'God fearing person'

Why is this such a commonly used phrase among scammers?
I see it all the time.
Old 07-24-13, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Someone tried to get me to ship my HTC One to her "son" in Nigeria last week; however, she wouldn't authorize PayPal to release the funds until I called an International number and provided the tracking number. When I didn't respond, she sent another email threatening to contact the FBI.
Old 07-24-13, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 371 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by fmian View Post
'God fearing person'

Why is this such a commonly used phrase among scammers?
I see it all the time.
A rich target for scammers are devoutly religious people, who tend to be more trusting of strangers. It also casts a wider net for marks than claiming a specific religion like Christianity.
Old 07-24-13, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

I recently have had responses asking me to communicate via private email. I was okay with that, but then they came back saying they were out of town couldn't pick up for a while; yet were happy to pay extra for me to hold by way of money order/cashiers check. Found odd so I tried next person ... Same thing!
Old 07-24-13, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 118 Likes on 85 Posts

Is the item still available?
Old 07-24-13, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Vipper II View Post
Someone tried to get me to ship my HTC One to her "son" in Nigeria last week; however, she wouldn't authorize PayPal to release the funds until I called an International number and provided the tracking number. When I didn't respond, she sent another email threatening to contact the FBI.
I received the same message yesterday regarding a laptop I put out for sale. I also received another message where the son was deployed to Utah for military training but they would give me $300 more than my asking price to ship it to him.
Old 07-25-13, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by antspawn View Post
Is the item still available?
Yes it is, now I just need to decide which snarky reply to use or just leave it be.
Old 10-05-13, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I didn't think my question merited it's own thread, so I hope you don't mind if I latch onto this one! I'm trying to sell an older television on Craigslist, and have a converter box and old antenna with it:

So I got an e-mail asking to sell them just the converter box, to which I replied that I'm really just trying to get rid of it all in one shot. Keeping in mind that I posted the TV and all for $55, I got this reply back:

"I'm willing to give you 35 right now just for the converter box and antenna please text me my number is xxx-xxx-xxxx"

I'm sure you could find a decent converter box for that price, and the antenna is nothing to write home about. It just seems odd to me and I was wondering what other's take on it may be...? Thanks in advance!
Old 10-05-13, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 547 Likes on 395 Posts

maybe it is just someone too lazy to find those things or you are closer to them than other listings. doesn't sound like a scam.
Old 10-05-13, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm not sure about that one. Usually these scams (especially on CL) are just too good to be true.

I've been looking around to rent a new place and one thing I've noticed is how many rental scams they have going on. I'm not sure what the ultimate end game scam is but they all start out as being just a little "too good". They seem to have moved away from waaaaa-aaay too good (like 5 bedroom 2,200 square foot house for $550 a month) and are now just a little better than market. Every time though the person (seems) religious, is living out of town (wanting to conduct all their transactions via email), and their English is just a little "off".
Old 10-05-13, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 371 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by reverie View Post
I didn't think my question merited it's own thread, so I hope you don't mind if I latch onto this one! I'm trying to sell an older television on Craigslist, and have a converter box and old antenna with it:

So I got an e-mail asking to sell them just the converter box, to which I replied that I'm really just trying to get rid of it all in one shot. Keeping in mind that I posted the TV and all for $55, I got this reply back:

"I'm willing to give you 35 right now just for the converter box and antenna please text me my number is xxx-xxx-xxxx"

I'm sure you could find a decent converter box for that price, and the antenna is nothing to write home about. It just seems odd to me and I was wondering what other's take on it may be...? Thanks in advance!
Without knowing more, it seems like a legitimate offer. They simply don't want to meet your $55 price.
Old 10-05-13, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Cool- thanks for the input. I just thought it odd that they'd want a crappy antenna and a (barely) used converter box for that much money. I did skip the text though and e-mailed about meeting at a local-ish grocery store so I'll see where it goes from here!
Old 10-05-13, 10:23 PM

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

Unless they agree to meet at a teller window in a bank of your choosing, it's certainly a scam.
Old 10-05-13, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 143 Likes on 106 Posts

They may want your phone number to use via a marketing group. It's a new form of scam where they get your cell number, sometimes they'll work for the marketing company, then use those numbers for cold calling.
Old 10-06-13, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
They may want your phone number to use via a marketing group. It's a new form of scam where they get your cell number, sometimes they'll work for the marketing company, then use those numbers for cold calling.
For those selling on CL, i'd recommend getting a new GV # just for CL purposes. if you get stuck with spam, you can easily change the number.
Old 10-06-13, 01:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 400 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by reverie View Post

I'm sure you could find a decent converter box for that price, and the antenna is nothing to write home about. It just seems odd to me and I was wondering what others take on it may be...? Thanks in advance!
Nobody wants an old TV. Last year I put a 36" non-HD TV on Craigslist just hoping someone would take it and save me the trouble of moving it myself. No reply. Goodwill wouldn't even take it because they said they don't sell and just waste space in the stores.

Take what you can get and don't worry about the reasons why. My TV ended up in curbside recycling

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.