Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Pet Peeves?

Old 06-12-19, 02:11 PM

Re: Pet Peeves?

Speaking of drive-thrus I do hate the "no escape" ones where there's a tall median keeping you from leaving if the line is moving slow etc. Gives me claustrophobia!
Old 06-12-19, 03:35 PM

I went through a Starbucks drive through once and never will again. Not only was it slow and claustrophobic, but the my were also out of what I wanted. Which they canít even tell you until youíve waited to get to the window.
Old 06-12-19, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Surely, I've noted this before, but I'm too lazy to look it up.

People who don't decrease the gap between their vehicle and the vehicle in front of them in any sort of drive-thru situation (fast food, coffee, whatever...). Why? Why leave a half-car-length gap between your car and the one in front of you? You're blocked in on all sides anyway. You're not going to need to make an escape or anything. Fuck.
Also when drive-thrus have two lanes that converge into one, and someone doesn't understand the basic rules of alternating lanes. Recently, I was in a drive-thru (could you have guessed??) and not only did the car in front of me leave a giant gap between them and the car in front of them, they also let TWO cars from the other lane go in front of them in addition to the car that they were 'tied' with.

Monsters, I tell you.
My truck has the idle-off feature. If you pull up to a stop it shuts off to save gas, then starts back up when you take your foot off the brake. At the car wash I will often leave a space when the person in front of me pulls up. It doesn't make it any faster or slower for people behind me. When they are ready for me I'm there.
Old 06-12-19, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Loud Harley Davidson bikes. That shit was cool when I was younger, now that I'm older it's just annoying as fuck.
Old 06-12-19, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

People at work who walk around and up and down stairs and walkways with laptop covers open.
They "might' not know how to change the Windows setting for what happens when you close the lid BUT I suspect they still would walk around with lids wide open. I have mentioned ti to some who really obnoxious or obvious and they look at me like I am from the planet Mongo. Some even do it will taking a p*ss!
Old 06-12-19, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Giantrobo View Post
Loud Harley Davidson bikes. That shit was cool when I was younger, now that I'm older it's just annoying as fuck.
That whole bullshit about "Loud Pipes Save Lives" is an excuse to be obnoxious. If it was ever true, it hasn't held water in 30 years with air conditioning in every car and cars quieter than ever on the inside.
Old 06-12-19, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

People who don't decrease the gap between their vehicle and the vehicle in front of them in any sort of drive-thru situation (fast food, coffee, whatever...). Why? Why leave a half-car-length gap between your car and the one in front of you? You're blocked in on all sides anyway. You're not going to need to make an escape or anything. Fuck.
Also when drive-thrus have two lanes that converge into one, and someone doesn't understand the basic rules of alternating lanes. Recently, I was in a drive-thru (could you have guessed??) and not only did the car in front of me leave a giant gap between them and the car in front of them, they also let TWO cars from the other lane go in front of them in addition to the car that they were 'tied' with.

Monsters, I tell you.
Those two-lane drive thrus make me nervous that Iím going to get the wrong order. If the alternating lanes get mixed up I feel like Iíll get the order of the guy in front/behind me on accident.
Old 06-12-19, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Memorial day weekend we went to the McDonalds drive thru in podunk NH, The ass in the truck in front of me ordered from the first of two drive thru order stations (gap in the line ahead of him). Then he and his trailer pulled forward blocking me from that station and continued to leave a big gap in front of him the whole time we were in line. All told it ended up taking 20 min to get thru the drive thru but in the end the order was free as the computer had gone down just before our order but I was a little irate when I noticed the idiot in front of me only got a soft drink.... why he would wait in line for a medium drink is beyond me as there as a gas station next door where he could have come and gone in 3 min.
Old 06-12-19, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Monsters, I tell you.

I remember in high school, HIGH SCHOOL, so we were all newish drivers, and we had to turn in to the parking lot in the morning, everyone always took turns even though technically the right lane had the right of way but of course the left lane would never be able to go if that were the case. So we had better sense then a lot of adults when it comes to driving.
Old 06-13-19, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Giantrobo View Post
Yet, you watch Television...
Going way back to a couple of weeks ago, but I just wanted to acknowledge this as a fair criticism. I am not free of hypocrisy. TV is a kind of Linus blanket to me, a relaxant, in much the same way these phones are Linus blankets to most people today.
Old 06-13-19, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Queen size fitted sheets that do not have the "top/bottom"/"side" labels
Old 06-13-19, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Monsters, I tell you.
Originally Posted by JimRochester View Post
My truck has the idle-off feature. If you pull up to a stop it shuts off to save gas, then starts back up when you take your foot off the brake. At the car wash I will often leave a space when the person in front of me pulls up. It doesn't make it any faster or slower for people behind me. When they are ready for me I'm there.
A car wash I understand, but I'm with Dan if it's a drive-thru (sorry) fast food restaurant. The distance between the order station and the window is not arbitrary; it's planned in car lengths, with some slop provided to account for different sized vehicles. If I'm 3 feet away from the order station because some pinhead a few cars in front of me won't pull up a little, yeah, I'm gonna be pissed.