Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Pet Peeves?

Old 02-07-19, 09:50 PM
  #1276  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Norm de Plume's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Toronto
Posts: 14,903
Re: Pet Peeves?

Originally Posted by cultshock View Post
Yeah, that one drives me crazy too. The "War on Terror", what are we fighting, big scary monsters?
No, it implies we're actually fighting the fact of being scared. As in, terror, being scared, must be expunged. No more horror movies for you!
I think I first heard Dubya say it, way back when, but I never thought it would endure.
Norm de Plume is offline  
Old 02-09-19, 03:42 PM
  #1277  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Vipper II's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Abingdon, MD
Posts: 3,131
Re: Pet Peeves?

"Died" is a perfectly acceptable word that doesn't need to be sugar-coated by saying "passed away" or, worse, "passed."
Vipper II is offline  
Old 02-09-19, 07:29 PM
  #1278  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Troy Stiffler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Under an I-10 Overpass
Posts: 20,962
Re: Pet Peeves?

Another grievance. Online dating.

I’ve felt bad for a long time ... not being able to get responses on Match and OKC. I thought I might never get to date much. But meeting women in real life is so much easier.

Seriously, fuck online dating. Those sites are filled with bad algorithms and ancient profiles. And none of the women pay for memberships so I don’t know if they even see messages. They hurt my confidence for a very long time.
Troy Stiffler is offline  
Old 02-09-19, 09:27 PM
  #1279  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Gator Nation
Posts: 5,548
Re: Pet Peeves?

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler View Post
Another grievance. Online dating.

I’ve felt bad for a long time ... not being able to get responses on Match and OKC. I thought I might never get to date much. But meeting women in real life is so much easier.

Seriously, fuck online dating. Those sites are filled with bad algorithms and ancient profiles. And none of the women pay for memberships so I don’t know if they even see messages. They hurt my confidence for a very long time.
I've always felt that I would never be able to make it in this new dating world. Things have changed so much since I met my wife 20 years ago. Glad things are starting to work out for you.
tanman is online now  
Old 02-10-19, 10:14 AM
  #1280  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 1,580
Re: Pet Peeves?

I don't know why this bothers me as much as it does: Whenever a scene in a TV show or a movie is supposed to be sourced from a TV (think a newscast), they have these huge scan lines as if it's coming from a 1998 tube TV. Hey, TV doesn't look like this anymore! Update the generic 'TV filter effect'.
Eddie W is offline  
Old 02-10-19, 11:34 AM
  #1281  
DVD Talk Legend
 
GoldenJCJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Colorado
Posts: 13,077
Re: Pet Peeves?

Originally Posted by Eddie W View Post
I don't know why this bothers me as much as it does: Whenever a scene in a TV show or a movie is supposed to be sourced from a TV (think a newscast), they have these huge scan lines as if it's coming from a 1998 tube TV. Hey, TV doesn't look like this anymore! Update the generic 'TV filter effect'.
while they’re at it, take out that dated “record scratch” sound whenever someone shuts the music off at a party.
GoldenJCJ is offline  
Old 02-10-19, 03:38 PM
  #1282  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
rbrown498's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,226
Re: Pet Peeves?

Originally Posted by Vipper II View Post
"Died" is a perfectly acceptable word that doesn't need to be sugar-coated by saying "passed away" or, worse, "passed."
I'm so, so with you on this one. It's a top-ten pet peeve for me and has been for years...because it won't go away.
rbrown498 is offline  
Old 02-10-19, 03:42 PM
  #1283  
DVD Talk Reviewer
 
Kurt D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 6,288
Re: Pet Peeves?

I’m OK with it at times. It softens the blow.
Kurt D is offline  
Old 02-10-19, 05:14 PM
  #1284  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Maryland, USA
Posts: 920
Re: Pet Peeves?

This is something my 9 year old son does that really annoys me. He will not want to do something until he sees someone else doing it. Then he *has* to do it. Case in point: Today I took him to the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum. There is a small plane air-frame where the kids can sit and push/pull the flaps. When we went by it, there was no line, and he didn't want to try it out. Later, we went by it again. Now there was a line of a dozen kids waiting their turn to try it out, so now he *had* to get a turn in the plane. So now we had to wait 15 minutes for our turn.
Kevin Phillips is offline  
Old 02-10-19, 05:45 PM
  #1285  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Max Bottomtime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Torrance, California
Posts: 4,484
Re: Pet Peeves?

Vocal fry. Does every woman on TV have to do this now?
Max Bottomtime is offline  
Old 02-10-19, 07:57 PM
  #1286  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Norm de Plume's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Toronto
Posts: 14,903
Re: Pet Peeves?

^Yeah, that makes my blood boil. It's also called the strangulated voice. It has been around for about 20 years, or at least that's how long I have noticed it. Mostly girls and young women. My theory is that it's part of the whole irony/too-cool-for-that mindset. Proper enunciation is uncool, so let's do the opposite.
Norm de Plume is offline  
Old 02-10-19, 09:29 PM
  #1287  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Michael Corvin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 56,819
Re: Pet Peeves?

Oh, I hate that. I had no idea there was a term for it. That's all I hear when I hear Kings of Leon... needless to say I can't stand KoL. Nails on a chalkboard.
Michael Corvin is offline  
Old 02-10-19, 10:09 PM
  #1288  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Nick Danger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 21,672
Re: Pet Peeves?

I know one young woman who does that. For her, it's an effect that she uses when telling parts of a story. It never bothered me.

"It was a stupid thing to do, right? Yeah. And she tells me (idiotic quote in vocal fry). I didn't know what to say."
Nick Danger is offline  
Old 02-11-19, 02:09 AM
  #1289  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Gator Nation
Posts: 5,548
Re: Pet Peeves?

Originally Posted by Kevin Phillips View Post
This is something my 9 year old son does that really annoys me. He will not want to do something until he sees someone else doing it. Then he *has* to do it. Case in point: Today I took him to the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum. There is a small plane air-frame where the kids can sit and push/pull the flaps. When we went by it, there was no line, and he didn't want to try it out. Later, we went by it again. Now there was a line of a dozen kids waiting their turn to try it out, so now he *had* to get a turn in the plane. So now we had to wait 15 minutes for our turn.
That's all kids. They're such followers. My kid will say she doesn't like to eat something just because her super picky cousin said she doesn't like it even though she really does like it.
tanman is online now  
Old 02-11-19, 02:17 AM
  #1290  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Gator Nation
Posts: 5,548
Re: Pet Peeves?

Originally Posted by Max Bottomtime View Post
Vocal fry. Does every woman on TV have to do this now?
Originally Posted by Norm de Plume View Post
^Yeah, that makes my blood boil. It's also called the strangulated voice. It has been around for about 20 years, or at least that's how long I have noticed it. Mostly girls and young women. My theory is that it's part of the whole irony/too-cool-for-that mindset. Proper enunciation is uncool, so let's do the opposite.
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
Oh, I hate that. I had no idea there was a term for it. That's all I hear when I hear Kings of Leon... needless to say I can't stand KoL. Nails on a chalkboard.
Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
I know one young woman who does that. For her, it's an effect that she uses when telling parts of a story. It never bothered me.

"It was a stupid thing to do, right? Yeah. And she tells me (idiotic quote in vocal fry). I didn't know what to say."

I didn't know this was a thing. This is who I think of when he did that voice in the video. It fits a cartoon character's voice but now I'm probably going to notice it in people and it'll annoy me.
tanman is online now  
Old 02-11-19, 03:07 PM
  #1291  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,590
Re: Pet Peeves?

People who don't pull into the intersection when turning left but yielding to oncoming traffic. Instead they sit behind the white line, and if the light turns red without a sufficient break in oncoming traffic, they (and everyone behind them) are forced to wait through another cycle of light changes. Guess what? A green light means you may enter the intersection and complete your turn after the light turns red (if there's no break in the oncoming traffic while the light is still green).

People who don't use the zipper technique at the furthermost point when a lane is closing, but instead begin to merge as soon as they see a "lane closed ahead" sign. Nothing infuriates me more in traffic. So a sign informs you that a lane is closing X-number of miles ahead. Guess what? You don't actually HAVE to merge until the spot where the lane is literally closed. If cars continued to use both lanes until that point, and then merged there, the back-up wouldn't be as long. I remember one instance where a driver, a full mile before the lane closure, was purposely straddling the middle line in order to keep cars from going all the way to the front and merging. The result was a massive back-up behind this driver while in front of him sat a completely empty mile-long stretch of empty road that people could use. Infuriating.
Mr. Flix is offline  
Old 02-11-19, 03:17 PM
  #1292  
DVD Talk Legend
 
cultshock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: True North Strong & Free
Posts: 11,488
Re: Pet Peeves?

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ View Post

while they’re at it, take out that dated “record scratch” sound whenever someone shuts the music off at a party.
To be fair, I don't think that you can consider vinyl "dated" anymore (but agree that the trope itself is kind of dumb at this point), but nobody better be scratching my records like that!

Originally Posted by Kurt D View Post
I’m OK with it at times. It softens the blow.
I usually go with "He's not really dead, he's pining for the fjords."
cultshock is offline  
Old 02-11-19, 03:20 PM
  #1293  
DVD Talk Legend
 
JimRochester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Rochester, NY. USA
Posts: 17,819
Re: Pet Peeves?

Originally Posted by Mr. Flix View Post
People who don't use the zipper technique at the furthermost point when a lane is closing, but instead begin to merge as soon as they see a "lane closed ahead" sign. Nothing infuriates me more in traffic. So a sign informs you that a lane is closing X-number of miles ahead. Guess what? You don't actually HAVE to merge until the spot where the lane is literally closed. If cars continued to use both lanes until that point, and then merged there, the back-up wouldn't be as long. I remember one instance where a driver, a full mile before the lane closure, was purposely straddling the middle line in order to keep cars from going all the way to the front and merging. The result was a massive back-up behind this driver while in front of him sat a completely empty mile-long stretch of empty road that people could use. Infuriating.
Some states have signs up that instruct people to use both lanes up until merge point. NY is not one of them. A couple times on the radio morning shows the subject would come up during large construction projects and people insist that a rapid merge is faster. Those people, who from here on out should be known as imbeciles, are incorrect. The DOT has studied it and concluded using both lanes is indeed faster. Somewhere along the line it became a personal insult for someone merging to get in front of you so now we need to actually block the lane so no one can use it. That is called impeding the flow of traffic and is a traffic violation. Often it's trucks and you can't see in front of them. Mutherfuckers.
JimRochester is offline  
Old 02-11-19, 04:55 PM
  #1294  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Norm de Plume's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Toronto
Posts: 14,903
Re: Pet Peeves?

Originally Posted by tanman View Post
I didn't know this was a thing. This is who I think of when he did that voice in the video. It fits a cartoon character's voice but now I'm probably going to notice it in people and it'll annoy me.
I would say most preteen and teen girls, and young woman, do the vocal fry. It's the opposite of speaking clearly; speaking, but holding back. It's not intentional, but something they pick up through osmosis from friends and media. As I said, it has been getting my goat for about two decades. I'm going to make sure my 5-year-old niece enunciates properly.
Originally Posted by Mr. Flix
People who don't pull into the intersection when turning left but yielding to oncoming traffic. Instead they sit behind the white line, and if the light turns red without a sufficient break in oncoming traffic, they (and everyone behind them) are forced to wait through another cycle of light changes. Guess what? A green light means you may enter the intersection and complete your turn after the light turns red (if there's no break in the oncoming traffic while the light is still green).
The legality varies by jurisdiction, but yeah, this can make one blow a gasket. That's what the horn is for. I use my horn quite a bit.
Norm de Plume is offline  
Old 02-11-19, 07:19 PM
  #1295  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Troy Stiffler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Under an I-10 Overpass
Posts: 20,962
Re: Pet Peeves?

Ugh. People using the access road parallel to the highway. They don’t understand the “yield “ sign. Yield means yield to the off ramp. It means stop if you need to stop. Not awkwardly coast into the stoplight.

Also so I never wait till the end of the line to merge when a lane is ending. I prefer to have the right away instead of hoping someone lets me over.

Im convinced people are just too dumb and distracted to read signs anyways. It’s amazing how many people almost miss exits and swerve over at the last second. When the sign has been there for the last three miles or whatever.
Troy Stiffler is offline  
Old 02-11-19, 07:44 PM
  #1296  
DVD Talk Legend
 
GoldenJCJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Colorado
Posts: 13,077
Re: Pet Peeves?

Originally Posted by Mr. Flix View Post
People who don't use the zipper technique at the furthermost point when a lane is closing, but instead begin to merge as soon as they see a "lane closed ahead" sign. Nothing infuriates me more in traffic. So a sign informs you that a lane is closing X-number of miles ahead. Guess what? You don't actually HAVE to merge until the spot where the lane is literally closed. If cars continued to use both lanes until that point, and then merged there, the back-up wouldn't be as long. I remember one instance where a driver, a full mile before the lane closure, was purposely straddling the middle line in order to keep cars from going all the way to the front and merging. The result was a massive back-up behind this driver while in front of him sat a completely empty mile-long stretch of empty road that people could use. Infuriating.
I’m kind of the opposite. I’d rather people started to merge as soon as they see the sign a mile or two before the lane ends. To me it’s a lot more natural to gradually have people merge that way. I’m also of the belief that the zipper technique doesn’t work. You end up with a bunch of people all slamming on their brakes at the last minute, which in turn causes everyone in the non-closed lane to have to slam on their brakes.

tl;dr the zipper techniques works well in theory, in reality people are self-centered shitheads.
GoldenJCJ is offline  
Old 02-11-19, 08:17 PM
  #1297  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
andicus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 7,284
Re: Pet Peeves?

The problem with the zipper merge is when people tout it to be 'faster.'

Generally, these merges happen when a lane naturally ends, or there is construction.

If there is construction, there's very likely a reduction in highway speed, so no difference in merging methods is going to change how many cars get through a single lane at a given speed. I.e. you're not pushing cars out more quickly. This is particularly true in stop and go traffic.

If it's a lane naturally ending, and the highway is running at regular speed, I could see it being of some benefit, assuming that everyone does it properly. Then again, if the highway is running at regular speed, you should be able to get in the other lane at any safe opportunity.

Mr. Flix does make a valid point regarding the length of backed up traffic. It's just common sense that the line should be half as long if the traffic is spread over two lanes. I can definitely see situations where that would be beneficial.
andicus is offline  
Old 02-11-19, 08:27 PM
  #1298  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 3,168
Re: Pet Peeves?

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume View Post
I would say most preteen and teen girls, and young woman, do the vocal fry. It's the opposite of speaking clearly; speaking, but holding back. It's not intentional, but something they pick up through osmosis from friends and media. As I said, it has been getting my goat for about two decades. I'm going to make sure my 5-year-old niece enunciates properly.
It is very infuriating. The English language has been going down the shitter for decades now. The latest cool "trend" by these girls who think it is "cool" only makes them appear stupid, uneducated, immature, and extremely annoying. This, beyond their natural capriciousness due to "teen angst". It is NOT cool to speak like a mumbling fool, and once learned and / or absorbed by osmosis, it is a habit that's very hard to break... A speech lisp isn't as annoying as a normal girl who emulates this trend in speaking today... The fault of course lay with the parents and the so-called role models like singers and actors who partake in this folly.

I applaud you for making the effort to assure that your daughter will be brought up to ennunciate properly. While you're at it, make sure to teach her good diction and how to suitably vary word choice. Teach her there are better words to use than "AWESOME" and "My bad!" (UGGGGH!). Please go as far as you can to influence your circle of "sophisticated" friends to also properlly raise their children in the art of ennunciation and diction.
zyzzle is offline  
Old 02-11-19, 08:30 PM
  #1299  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Michael Corvin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 56,819
Re: Pet Peeves?

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ View Post

while they’re at it, take out that dated “record scratch” sound whenever someone shuts the music off at a party.
'Eh, some things will always work, it's a universal sound. It's not much different than still using an old phone handset as a universal symbol for phone despite no one using that style phone in over 20 years.
Michael Corvin is offline  
Old 02-11-19, 09:29 PM
  #1300  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Norm de Plume's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Toronto
Posts: 14,903
Re: Pet Peeves?

Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
A speech lisp isn't as annoying as a normal girl who emulates this trend in speaking today...
Yeah, a lisp or a stutter is uncontrollable, though both are possible to correct.
The fault of course lay with the parents and the so-called role models like singers and actors who partake in this folly.
Any society that holds up vermin like the Kartrashcans as standard-bearers or role models is not quite right in the head, but that's where we are. People buy whatever it is they produce and follow them on that social media horseshit.
I applaud you for making the effort to assure that your daughter will be brought up to ennunciate properly. While you're at it, make sure to teach her good diction and how to suitably vary word choice. Teach her there are better words to use than "AWESOME" and "My bad!" (UGGGGH!). Please go as far as you can to influence your circle of "sophisticated" friends to also properlly raise their children in the art of ennunciation and diction.
Thanks. She's my niece, but I will make an effort. Not yet, mind. She's only five, and I don't want to berate her for making mistakes. I will gently but persistently correct her when she's a bit older.
Norm de Plume is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.